Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hong XiuQuan posted:

So he's still on the committee?

No, but he's not leaving because of the frontbench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Brown Moses posted:

No, but he's not leaving because of the frontbench.
So why is he leaving, do we know?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Zephro posted:

So why is he leaving, do we know?

Not yet, I've been told nothing apart from the Guardian article being wrong about the frontbench thing.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Brown Moses posted:

Not yet, I've been told nothing apart from the Guardian article being wrong about the frontbench thing.
I wonder if he wants to really go after NI some more, to an extent that would be difficult for someone sitting on the select committee.

I can't believe he would have been booted off, but maybe I'm missing smoething.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
He's getting Jeremy Hunt's job. Clearly.

He's been awarded one (1) internet and is off to claim it.

He's off to an island with a duck on it. In that duck's egg is Rupert Murdoch's heart.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More on the earlier arrest, it includes a Sun journalist

quote:

Operation Elveden: Sun journalists and policeman held
Two men, aged 32, from south London, and 51 and from Bristol, are being questioned over claims of conspiracy to corrupt and cause misconduct.

A 39-year-old with the Wiltshire force was held at his home in the county on suspicion of misconduct and conspiracy.

Some 50 people have so far been interviewed by Scotland Yard officers working on Operation Elveden.

The inquiry is investigating allegations of inappropriate payments to police and public officials, and runs alongside Operation Weeting, the probe into phone hacking.

Scotland Yard said the arrests were the result of information provided by News Corporation's management standards committee, which was set up in the wake of the phone-hacking scandal.

A spokesperson said they "relate to suspected payments to a public official and suspected disclosure of confidential information by a police officer and are not about seeking journalists to reveal confidential sources in relation to information that has been obtained legitimately".

The Sun's publishers, News Corporation's News International unit, confirmed that the two arrested journalists work for the newspaper, but did not disclose further details.
Guess that's why they didn't pay him his redundancy pay.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

In case you missed it in the last thread Derek Haslem, the undercover officer who worked at Southern Investigations, claiming Southern Investigations targeted "MPs, ministers, the Home Secretary" for blackmail and "influence"

quote:

Hurst - The point is that MPs, ministers, the Home Secretary, they were targets, and that information was communicated to your handlers.
Haslem - And the reason is they fell into two two camps of target, one that could be made, they could, er, financially make money from, and the other type was one that they could use, blackmail, or influence for their own benefit to do with their own thing, because they were so anti that squad.
Hurst - So, yeah, you mean they see...
Haslem - Yeah, anything that could put the Met into a bad light, or anybody they could implicate, or blackmail into helping them, you know, in two. One would have been for earning money like Marunchak's end, and two would have been for influence.
Hurst - But you can put your hand on your heart and you can say categorically that all intelligence which you generated which demonstrated a threat to posed against an MP, a minister, or the home secretary was communicated to your handler?
Haslem - That's right, and you look at my motivation [cut]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVHQ8PWNP94

Now am I mad, or does that seem like quite a big deal? Because no-one is bloody reading it on my blog.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Why does Ian Hurst know so much about this? He was a army and MI5 man wasn't he not police?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
It seems like a massive deal to me, especially considering how difficult and long it has been to have anything like a proper investigation into Murdoch's activities. None of the TV news stations are coming anywhere near the angle.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

madey posted:

Why does Ian Hurst know so much about this? He was a army and MI5 man wasn't he not police?

I get the feeling he's extremely good at what he does. One should avoid loving with a spy.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That's what I was saying about 'sweep it under the rug'. When things seem too horribly, cartoonishly big, people don't believe it.

Republish it with a Sun style headline. "BLACK BAG BAGS WHITE BOXES" or something.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 19, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Warcabbit posted:

That's what I was saying about 'sweep it under the rug'. When things seem to horribly, cartoonishly big, people don't believe it.

Republish it with a Sun style headline. "BLACK BAG BAGS WHITE BOXES" or something.

Working bit of Moses Magic on it as we speak, finger crossing time.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Think someone meant to DM this

Here's his followers

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I recognise that name, he does photography for Eye Spy magazine (which is a great read)

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."
On the court case issue I linked earlier, apparently there are still 2 cases going through the system in the USA, one in NYC and one in Delaware (in parallel, since the New York case cites Exchange Act illegalities). Neither has so far been thrown out, so potentially there are still 2 possibilities that a bunch of News Corp shareholders could have the board (R, J and C Murdoch) found culpable in devaluing the company by negligence over the phone hacking scandal.

http://newsandinsight.thomsonreuters.com/Legal/News/ViewNews.aspx?id=57147&terms=%40ReutersTopicCodes+CONTAINS+'ANV'

Do any of our American legal types have any further insight into this ?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More interesting stuff from iTraceUK

quote:

The Police have known since March 2011 that I have direct access - It was me that first confronted SOCA Re: OP Millipede Cont.
Cont. I asked MPS in 2011 for info and was lied to hence I dust off the old trade craft and play the long game Cont
Cont. Since 2011 I have been up front with the Police unfortunately they chose the hard way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kin4cK7uCc

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Brown Moses posted:

In case you missed it in the last thread Derek Haslem, the undercover officer who worked at Southern Investigations, claiming Southern Investigations targeted "MPs, ministers, the Home Secretary" for blackmail and "influence"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVHQ8PWNP94

Now am I mad, or does that seem like quite a big deal? Because no-one is bloody reading it on my blog.

It bloody scares me silly to be perfectly honest.

The thought of Murdoch quietly amassing a wealth of blackmail and influence in the shadows like CIA PTY LTD makes be deeply concerned for what he has done in Australia where he controls 70% of newspapers.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Ofcom have ruled that Sky is "fit and proper" despite pretty much every possible indication that they're not.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

The Supreme Court posted:

Ofcom have ruled that Sky is "fit and proper" despite pretty much every possible indication that they're not.

It's a bit of a cop-out, but I think there's a warning in it: 'we do not consider, having taken into account all the relevant factors, that on the evidence available to date Sky is no longer fit and proper to hold broadcast licences.'

Seems to me if more poo poo attaches to Sky this may change.

*edit* the entire document is embedded in this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...es-Murdoch.html

You can probably find it elsewhere. I had a quick read through it and it seems fairly reasonable. Ofcom basically saying that while JM and RM behaviour is relevant to whether or not they are fit and proper there are four obstacles:

1) Not enough evidence of direct involvement;
2) Not enough evidence of direct involvement affecting Sky;
3) While JM has influence over the board as a Director and Shareholder, there are other Directors as well which could have a moderating influence; and
4) Sky has a fairly clean regulatory sheet and has been successful for the last decade.

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 20, 2012

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Apparently Tom Watson was saying that on the radio this morning with a nudge, heavily implicating that clause would soon be taken up due to the monstrous new revelations about Murdoch's outfits.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Hong XiuQuan posted:

It's a bit of a cop-out, but I think there's a warning in it: 'we do not consider, having taken into account all the relevant factors, that on the evidence available to date Sky is no longer fit and proper to hold broadcast licences.'

*edit* the entire document is embedded in this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...es-Murdoch.html

You can probably find it elsewhere. I had a quick read through it and it seems fairly reasonable. Ofcom basically saying that while JM and RM behaviour is relevant to whether or not they are fit and proper there are four obstacles:

3) While JM has influence over the board as a Director and Shareholder, there are other Directors as well which could have a moderating influence; and
4) Sky has a fairly clean regulatory sheet and has been successful for the last decade.

Ofcom did bring into question James Murdoch's leadership and mentioned that he's "repeatedly fallen short of the standard to be expected". But they made the right decision since there's no point punishing them for something not relevant to that sector (And possibly costing jobs). If the scandal had extended to Sky News, we would probably be reading a very different report.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Yeah, the fit and proper thing would only come up if the NI takeover rears its head again (or the Murdochs increase their personal shareholdings in BSkyB). Sky is only part-owned by NI and there's no evidence (yet) that they've been involved in any of this stuff.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Sex Vicar posted:

If the scandal had extended to Sky News, we would probably be reading a very different report.

But it did extend to sky news? There was a link in the last thread that contained email statements and reports from inside sky news admitting to hacking people's emails, and to "clean up" their expense reports.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Tom Watson tweeted this

quote:

On the day Ofcom publish their report, I understand an arrest has been made of a 30 year old journalist relating to a theft inquiry.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Apparently Tom Watson was saying that on the radio this morning with a nudge, heavily implicating that clause would soon be taken up due to the monstrous new revelations about Murdoch's outfits.

He's on here at 2:25

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh my poo poo if Sky News is implicated that's massive

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Brown Moses posted:

Yes, that's probably the best way of putting it. Think of me a Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams, and my blog being the baseball diamond he builds.
I prefer to think of you as Kevin Costner in Waterworld, and News International is the giant sinking ship. The blog is the dudes on jetskis or whatever.

It's probably because they haven't found evidence of what went/goes on at Sky News yet.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Yet.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've heard nothing about Sky News, not sure if he's means they were directly involved in stuff or not, or it's a general News Corp thing.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Brown Moses posted:

I've heard nothing about Sky News, not sure if he's means they were directly involved in stuff or not, or it's a general News Corp thing.

Really doubt any action will be taken against BSkyB in any case (by OfCom). I'm hoping shareholder action could be taken against the Murdochs - hit them hard in the US. Has Fox News been covering the story around this report?

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Really doubt any action will be taken against BSkyB in any case (by OfCom). I'm hoping shareholder action could be taken against the Murdochs - hit them hard in the US. Has Fox News been covering the story around this report?

US shareholders are currently making an attempt to sue the Murdoch's for "Putting personal interests ahead of the company"

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Do shareholder lawsuits ever amount to anything? (Serious question; not being snarky.)

VVV Sorry. :blush:

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 20, 2012

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

prefect posted:

Do shareholder lawsuits ever amount to anything? (Serious question; not being snarky.)

I may possibly have become invisible, because I posted about this twice already :) however .. there is some recent precedent ..

http://newsandinsight.thomsonreuters.com/Legal/News/2012/04_-_April/Can_Strine_and_Castel_resolve_forum_fight_in_BofA_derivative_deal_/

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm reading this as a bit of a "gently caress you" to Ofcom

quote:

James Murdoch set for key News Corp role, reports say

James Murdoch is being lined up for an expanded role at News Corp, the media empire controlled by his father, according to reports.

Mr Murdoch, 39, who gave up his main executive jobs in the UK earlier this year, is said to be taking charge of News Corp's US television businesses.

The Financial Times and News Corp-owned Wall Street Journal newspapers carried the reports.

On Thursday, Mr Murdoch was criticised strongly by the UK media regulator.

Ofcom said Mr Murdoch's record as head of the London-based News International newspaper group "repeatedly fell short" of what was expected and was at times "ill-judged".

If confirmed, the appointment would give Mr Murdoch responsibility for the successful Fox Networks Group, which includes cable channels such as National Geographic. It does not include the Fox News channel, which is a separate division.

The Financial Times reported that the appointment was likely to be confirmed later this year.

Mr Murdoch, deputy chief operating officer at News Corp, moved back to New York earlier this year after relinquishing his roles as chairman of BSkyB in April and executive chairman of News International in February.

Ofcom had been reviewing whether pay-TV company BSkyB, which is 39% owned by News Corp, was "fit and proper" to hold a broadcasting licence in the wake of the scandal.

The regulator allowed BSkyB to keep its licence, but criticised Mr Murdoch for failing to uncover the extent of phone hacking at the newspaper group.

News Corp welcomed Ofcom's decision on BSkyB's licence, but defended Mr Murdoch, saying some of the statements about him were "not at all substantiated by evidence".

The Wall Street Journal said News Corp had been waiting for "some clarity" on the fallout from the phone-hacking scandal before making a decision on Mr Murdoch's new role.

More big Hackgate 2 developments are on the way for next week, so keep an eye out for those.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

What are the chances that he fucks up Foxnews in a way that leads to destruction of the american side of the business? :allears:

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What are the chances that he fucks up Foxnews in a way that leads to destruction of the american side of the business? :allears:

As long as Aisles is in charge and given autonomy, that won't happen. But, Aisles is apparently retiring soon, irc...

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Apparently Louise Mensch has an article in The Times today; she literally has no shame.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

She's horrible. Surprised she has time to write when juggling the heavy loads of being a submissive wife and failing at social media.

(saying submissive here not as a misogynistic insult but because her rear end husband clearly gave her a choice brtween marriage and her political career)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Hong XiuQuan posted:

(saying submissive here not as a misogynistic insult but because her rear end husband clearly gave her a choice brtween marriage and her political career)

That's quite the leap to make there. There were plenty of reasons for her to quit her seat, not least the looming prospect of her constituents sacking her first chance they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
^^ Quite, she probably looked at Piers Morgan's career in the US and thought gently caress, if he can do it, no problem for me. Attractive, British accent, and ex political figure, she could get the talking head gig on all the news show circuit without much effort.

• Locked thread