Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

I just looked up the website for this trade show to see when it's going to be held, and they have one of the most horrifying mascots I've seen in recent memory. Some sort of horrible pastel robot barbie doll.

Christ :catstare:

It looks like Bayonetta after having collided with a corvette, and then poo poo out by DeviantArt. This is of course, after she's had her soul sucked out, first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Looks like something form Planet Harriers, I like it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Her thighs have scoops.
Her THIGHS have scoops.

That is one amazing trainwreck of a design. It's distilled anime.

Guess they know their audience.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
TGS screenshot slideshow: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/jenktc/dmc--devil-may-cry-tgs-2012-slideshow

Nothing new, but for some reason they are acting like they didn't just show off Eryx at E3 and are calling it a new weapon. I think we're supposed to get some new gameplay footage from the show, stay tuned folks.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
Sooner than you think :)

TGS trailer up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHif33Gf-xE

Summary:

Vergil is wearing a fedora - C'mon man, surely you've got more taste than that!
Some level set in a train station or subway, and another on a bridge or shipyard.
Sparda's story is pretty much the same; he was Mundus' lieutenant and then worked against him.
Shotgun ingame, as is "fireworks" move.
Vergil is heavily hinted to be playable - the rough second or so shows what looks like Dimension Slice.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 20, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Vergil wearing a fedora is perfectly in line with his characterization as an "Anonymous" guy. All that's needed to complete the theme is for his katana to be a mass produced sword made in China and for him to be completely inept at using it.
By the way, did you notice him using a rifle there during one of the ADD editing cuts? I guess he doesn't find guns distasteful either.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

Vergil wearing a fedora is perfectly in line with his characterization as an "Anonymous" guy. All that's needed to complete the theme is for his katana to be a mass produced sword made in China and for him to be completely inept at using it.

"It's Hanzo Steel, Dante. Produced by the finest sweatshop our father could find."
*flails spastically at a demon*

notZaar posted:

By the way, did you notice him using a rifle there during one of the ADD editing cuts? I guess he doesn't find guns distasteful either.

Oh, yeah. Well, that's a different direction to take...not sure if I like it really. But hey, reboot. v:shobon:v
His look on the other hand, and the actual gameplay...

[e]:

Urgh. Those hands. :effort:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 20, 2012

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I've got the power of Sparda in my hands, and I like it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

Urgh. Those hands. :effort:

"Dude just scale up the hand model and slap a flame texture on it. Nooo, nobody's actually gonna look at it, it's cool."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Those are some silly looking gauntlets and that trailer was all over the place, but not really terrible. Also, Vergil using guns doesn't really seem out of character to me considering the most proof we had that he found guns distasteful was just a description and he never showed any actual aversion to them, not mocking Dante, not even like "Oh boy, a gun, those sure suck.", he did not even hesitate to use one in the end of the game, so Vergil having a problem with guns has always seemed more to me like something that was just informed rather than actually shown.

Mind you, he's still looking like a huge wimp in DmC so there's more to be annoyed with in his design than just "What? He doesn't have a problem with guns?"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
If this article is to be believed, Vergil might not be playable after all.

quote:

Yesterday Capcom released a new DmC trailer, below, that left some fans wondering whether Dante's posh, Fedora-wearing brother Virgil was a playable character. Jones confirmed this is not the case.

"I want to be definitive," he said. "He's not playable in the game. I don't want to be coy about that and have people think they're getting one thing when they're getting another."

Jones was more forthcoming on the role of Sparda, mentioned in the trailer. "The whole backdrop of Sparda is he's [s]ired Virgil and Dante, so he's present in that regard. The history of his end is a big motivating part of the story. He's not an explicitly walking and talking character in the game."

Ninja Theory's DmC operates in a kind of parallel DmC universe, so is in many regards separate to the Capcom-made games in the series. "It's its own chronology," Jones said. "So what we've known of Sparda in the past doesn't necessarily hold. It maybe holds substantially. Maybe not. We're not allowed to talk about it right now. But you shouldn't assume it'll be a literal transference of what he was in this one. But it'll heavily leverage it."

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-20-devil-may-cry-pc-port-outsourced-due-after-console-versions

Of course, this may be toal bullshit the guy may be pulling out of his rear end. We'll have to wait and see.

Some music has also been released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig9eVpkujEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7OlnVRMae4

Very discotheque.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 20, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
[e]: Whoops! Post is not edit :doh:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 20, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Rebellion sword CA:

If it weren't for the fact it was in Famitsu, I'd have said it was horrible fanart.

Also, white-haired Dante?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Pesky Splinter posted:

Rebellion sword CA:

I like how the angel wings on the left version looks kinda wonky. Shouldn't they, you know, line up with each other?

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Iacen posted:

I like how the angel wings on the left version looks kinda wonky. Shouldn't they, you know, line up with each other?
The rad new DmC Dante don't give no fucks 'bout symmetry!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Gameplay vid - covers old ground, but the introduction shows how Dante gets to the upside down world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHdLb5KywZA

I still can't get over how goofy Dante's animations are, and how kinda bland everything else is.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Not too impressed by the trailer, I just felt "eh" the whole way through. Same criticisms I have are still present and the gauntlets...if you can call them that, look boring. Surely with the tech available they could nail down the art of the gauntlets from the first game?

AggsOfSpades
Sep 5, 2011
For gauntlets, why not use magic scrap metal? Have fire or red runes along it to hammer home that it is, in fact, magic, but bits of heavy, jagged metal would fit the "grim and gritty" theme a lot more than Hulk Hands.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I just hope any new weapons they bring in are more impressive looking. I mean, assuming the weapon select changes the angel and devil arms, that's a total of 8 weapons, plus the discount-store Rebellion, and the guns.

And so far all of them, are really not that visually interesting. I do hope they keep the tradition of Dante doing fun things when he gets a new weapon, though I'm not holding my breath.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Dante still looks hot, and that TGS trailer was probably the best one yet.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
After having shown the weapons for over a year, Capcom finally has released some renders.

Better than the fists, but still skirting the surface of generic blandness :geno:

And some stills from the Trailer:

There's a new enemy, with a crotch-face.

And here's Vergil wearing that fedora, with some symbolic graffti behind him.

All he needs now is to post on the TV Tropes forums, gain 300lb and his quest will be at an end.

Puckanas
Dec 11, 2004

An extraordinary moron!
Those weapons look like generic Oblivion poo poo.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Hands-on impression from someone who has played the latest version of the demo:

An, as of yet unseen trailer.

Trailer posted:

...watching the previous traliers on the screen on the right above.
I realized there was a NEW trailer involving the pier and the amusement park.
The boss is as you know, the hunter demon. He climbs up the bulidings of the pier like King Kong and makes a nasty sneer at Dante. He pesters you with his cable gun throughout the stage.
But what I found interesting is as the wire missed and hit the ground, limbo made a huge convulsion and grasped at the ground with a huge fist. Possibly High ranked demons are able to pull off this feat.
There was the introduction to the house of horrors stage. Which scary puppets crackling with electricity are involved.
Also the stingers are armed with fire bombs which you can deflect at them and blast a crowd of enemies.
The last confrontation is with the hunter demon. He has this belt/pouch? of weapons and selects his hunting knife...
The two dashes towards each other, Dante aggresivly scraping his sword on the ground, and the trailer ended.

And the gameplay itself:

quote:

After Dante smacking the can out of the obese man and limbo closed upon me, I realised the graphics are a bloody masterpiece at close up !....NT you are the best. Dante looks cooler then in the trailers!
As the colours fill the world I finally was allowed to walk around. I was quite surprised how Angel boost has a more smooth motion than sky-star..
And the Enemies appeared. First I was playing ordinary. Oh, you should be grateful that it IS DMC! Once you get your enemy up with hightime and doing combos you WILL feel relieved that NT baked it good.
But...yeah, I found it was quite hard for me to direct Dante in a different direction when a second enemy appears because there is no lock-on. But I quickly found out there is something wrong. not like the original series.

The enemies are aggresive as HELL on the ground. (Oh, who said it was easy?)
The normal drones are not a problem but the Chainsaw Dude is a prick. This enemy will make a HOMING charge attack.
I found this out because I back angel-boosted. And saw this dude curving towards me. With 4 drones this is chaos.
And yup, the stingers make it worse. lol...so I had to change my strategy to the sky. This is where it gets fun.

I yanked the shields off the cherubs and made a full-level charge shot (which could be charged to a level of 3) at them with my axe-head. And it instantly obliterated them off-screen. As a fan of gunslinger...it was a very satisfying moment.
After I dealt with them I hightimed a drone...and then I found out Osirs's Hanger is a very strong ability. It's more like a shovel. With Osiris's 360 degree combo there is nobody to interrupt your fun !
But my favorite is Arbiter. It's makes you pump with adrenaline as you smash off the heads of enemies and see them screaming like sissys.

Meanwhile I used Dante's DT when I saw a chainsaw charging towards me...Before playing I thought this was the lamest Dt in the series. But I was wrong. Actually the transformation is very cool as the music stops and the screen goes like classic DMC.
Besides his hair...(That is now white as you know) his coat looks like blood red wings in the air. (Oh this is DEVIL trigger, no?)
And the strong rock from the controller...it's like telling me "It's rear end kicking time!"

After the fighting sequence. Limbo closes down on you. I know from the previous demos that it is not quite a threat but it was drat frightning. But it actually was quite fun. Like a escape mission from megaman.

source: http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/tokyo-game-show-2012.11821/page-14

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Well, if there's one thing Megaman is known for, it's its trademark escape missions.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Bonaventure posted:

Well, if there's one thing Megaman is known for, it's its trademark escape missions.

The last maverick is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Pasteurized Milk posted:

The last maverick is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace.

Well, that explains the intro to Megaman Zero

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
There is what appears to be a limited/premium edition of the game for when it comes out. Nothing special in-game, it should be said; just that it comes with promotional goodies:

The case cover (with E&I necklace) of the technically proficient, but eye-rollingly sleazy angel-girls picture, with Dante.

The "Premium Soundtrack" cover (what the gently caress? Deer?)

And an art book.

The art book is probably worth looking at, at least. Though I am slightly confused for the cover for the soundtrack - it screams more "whale noise and wind-chimes" to me more than what's been heard thus far.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 23, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Hot drat, I want that. The Dante with Angels pic is some of the best art I've seen for the series. I love it.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Azure_Horizon posted:

Hot drat, I want that. The Dante with Angels pic is some of the best art I've seen for the series. I love it.

You're serious, aren't you?

Chozo loving Christ, you're serious.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Magil of Shadow posted:

You're serious, aren't you?

Chozo loving Christ, you're serious.

Oh no! Call the cops! Opinions are different!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That soundtrack cover looks like something out of Twin Peaks/Deadly Premonition.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Oh yeah, I can sorta see that. It's got that sorta vibe. :)
It's still a tad strange for an aggressive soundtrack though.

[e]: The final boss is Mundus as a hedgerow. Dante must use the angel sheers to trim it, while in DT (Devil Topiary) mode.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 23, 2012

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The leafy stags flanking the fountain are a nice touch. I hope this game has leafy stags.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: The final boss is Mundus as a hedgerow. Dante must use the angel sheers to trim it, while in DT (Devil Topiary) mode.
Devil Topiary mode would be awesome and you know it. Hit the trigger and BOOM, you become this fuckin' crazy wicker man looking thing, covered in barbed thorns and razor sharp leaves, like some poo poo that Todd McFarlane would have in his back yard.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I hate that my impression of this game is slowly going from "WHAT THE gently caress DID THEY DO" to "Maybe it won't be that bad..."

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I hope that there is a stage that looks like that abandoned garden where you fight bush monsters.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I hate that my impression of this game is slowly going from "WHAT THE gently caress DID THEY DO" to "Maybe it won't be that bad..."

If you ever start to feel this way, just remind yourself what they did to Virgil.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

How did the weapons in this series go from crazy three-headed nunchucks and rose-themed exploding sword-darts to "I dunno, an axe. Like a big ol' axe. And it red and whatever." :geno:

This game might not be the completely catastrofuck I thought it was gonna be, because it's gonna be too drat boring to do that.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It happened when Capcom decided that nobody likes Japanese quirkiness in their games anymore. Let's hope they're wrong for the sake of games like MGR and Bayonetta 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The combat has improved substantially since the earlier previews - quicker, seemingly more responsive, etc. It's looking to be a fairly okay generic action game. But that's the problem. It's just a generic action game, rather than a DMC.

The combat, at least, isn't going to be a DMC2's level of slowly chipping away at enemies health, using the same moves or guns, over and over. It does have some variety, even if it appears to be slightly hampered by the lack of a soft lock-on, and a taunt button. Unless they do something interesting with the platforming however, that's looking to be the most boring aspect of it.

Design, music and storywise? Design-wise, Dante looks as bland as the weapons he uses, whereas Vergil looks goofily out of place. Most of the enemies look pretty cool, although the more mechanical ones bring back bad memories of Enslaved. Some of the levels seem to be varying from "bland-as-anything" (the box factory), to El Shaddai levels of strangeness (the disco).

In terms of story. I'll put it like this; the bits they've shown are completely cringe-worthy, either because they're trying to paint this Dante as a some kind of cool, smooth badass, and failing spectacularly, or they are unironically using all these terrible fan-fiction cliches dead straight.

The infamous "I should have been the one...to fill your dark soul with LiIIIIIGHHHHT!", as hilarious as it is, is far better writing than:

"gently caress YOU!"
"gently caress YOU!"
"NO, gently caress YOU!"
"ARGH gently caress YOU! YOU'RE THE SON OF SPARDA! AND EVA - THE WHOOOOOOOORRRRRREEEE!"

Because it's easier to forgive the campy feel of that, than the embarrassingly terrible way they're trying to present this game, by trying to make it serious.

• Locked thread