Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Hughmoris posted:

For those using T-Mobile's prepaid service, what phone are you currently using? I bought the Samsung S2 prepaid phone for $299 at Walmart, and flashed it to CM9 but not sure if I'm going to keep it. I know the GNexus for $350 is a popular choice, but from what I'm reading its not that different from the S2 and has issues all its own.

Maybe I'm just getting bored with Android. Anyone using a Windows phone with their prepaid?
GNexus.

Long Francesco posted:

That site loads really wonky on my phone but I'm guessing the marks on the map are just where some dude connected to t mobile on 1900mhz and not towers or anything?
Supposed to be spots where they picked up 3G on not-AWS phones (meaning 1900Mhz UMTS locations)

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Long Francesco posted:

That site loads really wonky on my phone but I'm guessing the marks on the map are just where some dude connected to t mobile on 1900mhz and not towers or anything?

Yes, and since there's only one in Boston I'm probably being trolled. But there's giant chunks of people claiming it in NYC, Baltimore, and Seattle.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Neat, looks like it's all over my area and a couple marks right in my neighborhood. I don't plan on getting a new phone for a few more months but when I do this means I can pick up virtually any quad band phone and be good on tmo?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Hughmoris posted:

For those using T-Mobile's prepaid service, what phone are you currently using? I bought the Samsung S2 prepaid phone for $299 at Walmart, and flashed it to CM9 but not sure if I'm going to keep it. I know the GNexus for $350 is a popular choice, but from what I'm reading its not that different from the S2 and has issues all its own.

Maybe I'm just getting bored with Android. Anyone using a Windows phone with their prepaid?

How is android a thing you get bored with?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

GSM GNexus, No issues at all extremely happy with it. I did run the Lumia 710 on T-Mo prepaid. The screen is small the performance is decent if you don't do anything except check email, make phone calls and text. GNexus as long as I don't install the Amazon app store I can get a full days use and my work load is very heavy. I stream audio for about 6 hours, check email and other apps occasionally. Every other phone including the Lumia 710 required a mid day charge.

Not having apps is either a big deal for you or not. The 350 GSM GNexus from Google play is by and far away the best option out there for TMO. If you don't like it you can sell it for almost face price later. Also keep in mind you might have 1900 in your market so you might be able to use a iPhone at full speed.

http://www.airportal.de/

If you have 1900 mhz 3G you can use (nearly) any unlocked GSM phone at full speed. I haven't checked my market yet, but apparently there have been 1900 spottings.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Stick100 posted:

GNexus as long as I don't install the Amazon app store I can get a full days use and my work load is very heavy.

What does the Amazon App Store do to kill your battery? I've never noticed an issue on mine.

I take my phone off the charger in the morning, use it lightly for 4 hours or so, then go to work where I stream music for a few hours, check email and text, check the web, and stream some video. Nine hours later and I have 35-40% battery life left. The only time I run out is if I'm streaming video for hours.

Voice calls do drain the battery more than most things, I've found.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Hughmoris posted:

There is an overwhelming amount of support for Android in the prepaid market since it's on loving everything and the toaster which you made breakfast with this morning. Windows Phone is still somewhat limited in reach though it does have a very passionate following. If you're considering spending a bit of money to try it out, you could easily find a Nokia 710 or Radar for not a terrible amount, or (albeit a much older device) the HTC HD7 or Dell Venue Pro. Not an ideal choice, but probably sufficiently cheap to change things up a bit.

Windows phone will continue to exist in a marginalized form and probably not be a mainline contender for quite some time for a variety of reasons. Nothing saying you can't have one as a backup or toy-around phone to keep things fresh!

Mister Snips posted:

How is android a thing you get bored with?

This is a stupid question on so many levels. Think about it a little bit. Hint: Peoples opinions and desires change over time! The same thing for two years straight gets boring! Change is good and helps you grow as a human being! Shocking!

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
So I plunged into the prepaid world, got a google voice number and I'm a little lost.

I want to make outgoing calls / receive calls only to my google voice number and my prepaid number (whatever it is at any point) is just never going to be known to anyone.

I just want to make sure (I don't actually have the SIM card for the phone yet so I can't synch it to the app just yet) that i have to use the google voice app if I want people to see the non Gvoice number, correct?

Do I need to do anything fancy for sending SMS/MMS or what not? I read that you have to add a 406 number from each individual contact into an 'other' group so that you can use the native sms app on the phone. It's probably easier to just use the google voice app I guess.

Any good guides for this kinda stuff?

Lrigwoc
Aug 16, 2007
Reverse
So with T-Mobile moving to 1900 on 3g, I take it I would be getting the HSPA+ speeds (fake 4g) on an unlocked iPhone 4s. Thus, I could do the prepaid 100 minute/$30 per month plan. Or am I missing something?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Lrigwoc posted:

So with T-Mobile moving to 1900 on 3g, I take it I would be getting the HSPA+ speeds (fake 4g) on an unlocked iPhone 4s. Thus, I could do the prepaid 100 minute/$30 per month plan. Or am I missing something?

If you are in one of the few areas that they have rolled out 1900MHz HSPA+, yes, that should be how it works. You'll have to either get a MicroSIM or clip your standard SIM, but that's not too hard.

Lrigwoc
Aug 16, 2007
Reverse

Arcsech posted:

If you are in one of the few areas that they have rolled out 1900MHz HSPA+, yes, that should be how it works. You'll have to either get a MicroSIM or clip your standard SIM, but that's not too hard.

Fantastic, thanks. I wonder how their prepaid will change (if it changes at all) when they finally begin to roll out LTE.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Lrigwoc posted:

Not missing anything, thats the way its supposed to work.

Lrigwoc posted:

Fantastic, thanks. I wonder how their prepaid will change (if it changes at all) when they finally begin to roll out LTE.
An interesting question, but I don't think we've heard any answers about it yet.
LTE on MVNOs is something that hasn't happened yet, as far as I know.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
This seems like a dumb question for me to ask but I decided to go prepaid and get the $30/month T-Mobile plan. The problem I have is both cell phones I use are MicroSIM only so can I replace the SIM card at a T-Mobile store with MicroSIM or should I just cut down the card once I receive it?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Looks like the Samsung Exhibit 4G w/ $50 prepaid for $179 is back.
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/Samsung-Exhibit-4G-Prepaid

Who was it that was spreading the gospel for this phone?

OneTymChampion
Mar 3, 2003

Island Nation posted:

This seems like a dumb question for me to ask but I decided to go prepaid and get the $30/month T-Mobile plan. The problem I have is both cell phones I use are MicroSIM only so can I replace the SIM card at a T-Mobile store with MicroSIM or should I just cut down the card once I receive it?

You can try to cut and if that doesn't work, go to the store. I got a micro sim card free of charge at a tmobile store using the same plan. It was no hassle and took maybe 2 minutes.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

That would have been me, I suppose. Though if you have the money, $300 for the off-contract T-989 at Walmart is just as good of a value proposition. Especially since it has balls-fast Jellybean roms and overclocking, whereas the Exhibit 4G has a solid ICS rom and no overclocking.

OneTymChampion posted:

You can try to cut and if that doesn't work, go to the store. I got a micro sim card free of charge at a tmobile store using the same plan. It was no hassle and took maybe 2 minutes.

I was always wondering, if I somehow gently caress up and lose/destroy my SIM card, is my ported phone number lost to the ages? Or can T-Mobile recover it and put it on a new SIM?

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
So it seems like if I want to get my AT&T number ported over to the T-mobile prepaid $30/month plan, I'll need to call them up? I can't just port it as part of the online activation? That's pants. I was hoping to do the port online, late at night, so the limbo period would be restricted to the times when I'm not getting phone calls anyway. But if I have to call them and that's restricted to business hours, well, blah.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Hughmoris posted:

I have this phone. It's a drat nice phone for most phone things, especially with CM9 on it. Not very good for games, if you're into that (Some 2d games like Ninja Fishing run unplayably bad on it due to stuttering), since it's only a single core 1Gz mobile chip. If you're fine with not playing games/playing simple things only (Kairosoft titles and solitaire are my mainstays), or have some other advice for those purposes, The Exhibit with T-Mobile and Talkatone handles all my cell phone needs perfectly.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

nougatmachine posted:

So it seems like if I want to get my AT&T number ported over to the T-mobile prepaid $30/month plan, I'll need to call them up? I can't just port it as part of the online activation? That's pants. I was hoping to do the port online, late at night, so the limbo period would be restricted to the times when I'm not getting phone calls anyway. But if I have to call them and that's restricted to business hours, well, blah.

Also very interested in this, currently I am using an old, off-contract dumb-phone with an AT&T plan and I was planning on either ordering a Tmobile phone online or grabbing one at Walmart for the $30/month plan provided I can just do the online activation and porting of my number over. Then I can just cancel my AT&T plan and throw my old phone away, at least thats what I was planning.

Any reason this won't work?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
This was what I was planning as well and I too thought it was just a clickable option from activating the service online. If it's anything like going from telcos to VOIP, it's because you have to go through a independent third party so that you don't get slammed (having your TN changing carriers without your permission). I believe human interaction is required to do this so that would explain why the call is necessary.

OneTymChampion
Mar 3, 2003
I ported my number from virgin mobile using tmobile's online process. I never had to call tmobile to get ported. And if you mess up your sim card, your number isn't lost. I tried cutting down the sim card I got with the activation pack online. My phone wasn't recognizing the sim card. I went to a tmobile store and explained my situation. The guy typed in my # into the computer. He scanned a new micro sim card, and it worked. My brother did the same exact thing a a couple days ago.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Hughmoris posted:

It was the most powerful prepaid phone when it was released at $200. But now with the Samsung Galaxy S II out for $330 (with free $30 card) I don't see any real reason to get it, other than the Galaxy S II being a bit large.

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
So it's definitely possible to port to t-mobile prepaid solely online? Awesome. Don't know where in the thread I got the impression otherwise.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

nougatmachine posted:

So it's definitely possible to port to t-mobile prepaid solely online? Awesome. Don't know where in the thread I got the impression otherwise.

It sounds that way. I went to a few different Walmart stores near my house yesterday in search of one of those $330 Galaxy S2's(which appear to be quite hard to find, the employees at each location told me they only get one or two units in stock at a time) and when I asked the employees how I would go about porting my number over, they said you can do it online when you create your account/activate your prepaid plan. One thing to note is that your old plan/the phone number has to be active at the time when you port it over, once its ported you can then cancel your old plan.

Think I'm going to end up grabbing one of those $179 Exhibit 4Gs(/w $50 Prepaid) since the $330 Galaxy S2 is going to be so hard to come by. I figure I will probably just be able to buy a Galaxy S2 or something better after 6 months or so with the $170 I'm saving by getting the Exhibit.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

nougatmachine posted:

Yes. I bought a Galaxy Nexus directly from Google and ordered a SIM card activation kit from T-Mobile ($.99 with free shipping), and I was able to port my phone number over from Virgin Mobile with no issues whatsoever, other than the fact that it took 57 hours for the request to complete instead of "up to 24".

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
This Google Play GNex is $382 after tax/shipping, is there any cheaper way to do it other than wait for a sale?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Save buying one used, not really. The Play Store is pretty much the best deal you're going to get, plus you have a warranty which is nice considering Samsungs shittastic track record for QA/QC.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Optimum Gulps posted:

Yes. I bought a Galaxy Nexus directly from Google and ordered a SIM card activation kit from T-Mobile ($.99 with free shipping), and I was able to port my phone number over from Virgin Mobile with no issues whatsoever, other than the fact that it took 57 hours for the request to complete instead of "up to 24".

I had to call twice 'cause they hosed up taking down my info the first time, then had to do something different since Virgin isn't a monthly plan (?). Basically, calling TMobile sucked, especially trying to get to the right department for PrePaid customers. Doing it over the internet would have been better, but I wanted to check reception first.

Also, I thought porting from TMobile monthly to TMobile PrePaid was impossible? Because my dad somehow managed to do just that instead of just canceling his old monthly plan. Of course he did it after everyone was already updated with the new number and they now have to call everyone back with the old number. Old people mess things up!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

100% Dundee posted:

It sounds that way. I went to a few different Walmart stores near my house yesterday in search of one of those $330 Galaxy S2's(which appear to be quite hard to find, the employees at each location told me they only get one or two units in stock at a time) and when I asked the employees how I would go about porting my number over, they said you can do it online when you create your account/activate your prepaid plan. One thing to note is that your old plan/the phone number has to be active at the time when you port it over, once its ported you can then cancel your old plan.

Think I'm going to end up grabbing one of those $179 Exhibit 4Gs(/w $50 Prepaid) since the $330 Galaxy S2 is going to be so hard to come by. I figure I will probably just be able to buy a Galaxy S2 or something better after 6 months or so with the $170 I'm saving by getting the Exhibit.
Well the Exhibit II has only come down in price $20 since it was introduced at WalMart nearly a year ago, don't expect much more from the Galaxy S II.

If you really want one (and it is the better deal) just camp out the Walmart.com page for it. They seem to get more in stock every day or so, just snap it up when they do.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

What does the Amazon App Store do to kill your battery? I've never noticed an issue on mine.

I take my phone off the charger in the morning, use it lightly for 4 hours or so, then go to work where I stream music for a few hours, check email and text, check the web, and stream some video. Nine hours later and I have 35-40% battery life left. The only time I run out is if I'm streaming video for hours.

Voice calls do drain the battery more than most things, I've found.

I don't know what it is about amazon app store, but I think the authentication calls it makes in the background cause significant wake events. Even if I did not open the amazon app store app I would find it was using about 3% of my battery, but if I uninstall it I get roughly an extra 30% battery life and now get a full day charge without midday charge. You can uninstall the app and keep amazon app store installed apps on your phone.

It is possible to only use %3 of battery, but still take 30% battery life if it's making background calls (like long polling internet requests) that end up getting counted under something else like Android OS. I should probably take this discussion to the Android app thread. But the point was the GNexus gets great battery life if you keep your extra apps light.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 17, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Weird. I've never even seen the Amazon App Store pop up under my battery usage. I was just curious if it was something I was missing that I should turn off.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I posted this in the plans thread but this is the place to ask. From reading the OP I think my best bet will be Straight Talk AT&T but here's the post I made anyway, if you guys could weight in and hold my insecure hand while I make this life changing decision that would be much appreciated.

I'll be traveling to the US next week for three weeks, and I was thinking of getting a pre-paid sim to put in my eurotrash GSM phone.

Current plan: None (well an EU one)
Budget: Depends, for the sim itself $20 seems reasonable? $50 of data for the whole package of data and sim for the three weeks, is that reasonable?

Current phone: HTC One X, EU/Intl. version. Has quad-band GSM and Tri-Band UMTS, but doesn't support 1700MHz UMTS AFAIK. (So I'm stuck with EDGE? Can anyone confirm this?)

Needs:
-Has to be GSM, so that restricts me to AT&T and T-Mobile correct?
-Has to be a micro-SIM
-No plan, no contracts, no ID. Has to be completely free of any commitments.

What I want to use it for: Mostly I want to be able to use some data to Google stuff on the road, read emails and to Whatsapp my family at home. (And possibly Skype, but I think I'll do that on Wifi)

I'll be traveling in the southwest region, so CA, AZ, UT and NV.

I found Straight Talk online, they sell SIMs at Walmart, is this a good option?

If it's cheaper to get a CDMA prepaid phone that supports rudimentary android stuff like Whatsapp that's fine too, but I'd like to use my own phone if at all possible.

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
So I received the T-Mobile SIM card activation kit and attempted to activate online twice and select the spergy $30 unlimited text and data plan, but the last step gives me the following bizarre error right before the last step:

"We’re sorry, we’re still working to process your activation. Please wait a few moments and then try navigating to another web page. You should receive a text message to your device when your activation is processed."

I called Customer Service and they said because I have an existing current T-Mobile number (I am long out of contract though) I have to get the activation kit at Walmart for that promotional plan. Does that sound right? I guess I'm glad the activation kit was only a dollar...

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

fack you posted:

So I received the T-Mobile SIM card activation kit and attempted to activate online twice and select the spergy $30 unlimited text and data plan, but the last step gives me the following bizarre error right before the last step:

"We’re sorry, we’re still working to process your activation. Please wait a few moments and then try navigating to another web page. You should receive a text message to your device when your activation is processed."

I called Customer Service and they said because I have an existing current T-Mobile number (I am long out of contract though) I have to get the activation kit at Walmart for that promotional plan. Does that sound right? I guess I'm glad the activation kit was only a dollar...

When I just activated my $30 plan and ported my number over there was a little asterisk under the $30 plan button that said something like *New activations only. Maybe its because you're trying to port over an old Tmobile number? I think someone mentioned something about that in this thread earlier, where if you have an old Tmobile number you have to port it to another carrier and then port it back when you activate the $30 plan. Although if the customer service rep told you that you would with the activation kit from Walmart that might work as well and probably be easier/cheaper.

The number does have to be currently active/working as well, you mentioned being out of contract but the number is still active correct?

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 19, 2012

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

spankmeister posted:

I found Straight Talk online, they sell SIMs at Walmart, is this a good option?

If it's cheaper to get a CDMA prepaid phone that supports rudimentary android stuff like Whatsapp that's fine too, but I'd like to use my own phone if at all possible.

Your only problem is going to be that StraightTalk doesn't sell SIMs at Walmart. They only sell them online RIGHT HERE. So I guess order one and have it shipped to a place you know you can pick it up at, and you're good to go.

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life

100% Dundee posted:

When I just activated my $30 plan and ported my number over there was a little asterisk under the $30 plan button that said something like *New activations only. Maybe its because you're trying to port over an old Tmobile number? I think someone mentioned something about that in this thread earlier, where if you have an old Tmobile number you have to port it to another carrier and then port it back when you activate the $30 plan. Although if the customer service rep told you that you would with the activation kit from Walmart that might work as well and probably be easier/cheaper.

The number does have to be currently active/working as well, you mentioned being out of contract but the number is still active correct?

The number is still active, it's my current account. I went ahead and just activated it without porting my number and it worked. Going to call to see if I can switch my current number over - I doubt I can.

AgentX
Apr 20, 2002
Amazon is selling Motorola Atrix's for a measly $220, down from $400 just a couple weeks ago.

It stands out in battery life, call/speaker quality (it's like a mini boom box), and the fact it's a dual core/1 gb RAM offering for less than $300.

You might want to buy a warranty program or check if Motorola will honor its warranty. Some of these units (including mine) had a rash of bad GSM modem parts or some such, which means lost data connectivity at random and/or overheating. I got mine when AT&T was hawking them for $49.99, so I'm not 100% sure these unlocked ones from Amazon include the warranty.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SB35 posted:

Your only problem is going to be that StraightTalk doesn't sell SIMs at Walmart. They only sell them online RIGHT HERE. So I guess order one and have it shipped to a place you know you can pick it up at, and you're good to go.

Well poop, I'm gonna be on the move a lot, so that won't work. Thanks anyway.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

spankmeister posted:

e: Didn't see that you were literally leaving today or something.

I mean, unless you're going to be swapping SIMS everytime you're on the move you don't need to keep buying them. Once you get the one that's it.

I bought one and it shipped then was here in 2 days (even though it was 3 day shipping). Had to wait an extra day because they make you sign for the package :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

spankmeister posted:

At least you should be able to pick up a Tmobile activation kit (SIM kit) at any Tmo store and activate it online with whatever plan you prefer. If you absolutely must buy the SIM in-store, that's an option.

• Locked thread