Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't play Wow, so I just see their ads on TV to learn about new expansions and poo poo...but is their new expansion literally Kung Fu Panda?

I mean...there are pandas...they're doing Kung Fu...and the commercials seem like they're going to totally serious route, not a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing.

And the land is called "Pandara?" Really? So are owl-people next, from "Owlra"?

The panda stuff actually predates Kung Fu Panda. It started off years ago as an April Fool's joke introducing a new race into Warcraft 3. For the rest of it, yeah it sounds pretty stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Clamknuckle posted:

Who are the people on the AT&T don't text while driving commercials? I've seen two of them where some girl/guy talks about their amazing career and all their fans but I have no clue who they are. Are they on Glee or something like that?

It's been bugging the poo poo out of me. The only thing going through my mind is "Seriously, who the hell are you?"

Hell, it's even annoying my girlfriend who at least watches some of the stuff on MTV and ABC Family and is a lot more aware when it comes to pop culture than I am, even she doesn't know.

Aintain
Apr 6, 2007

Shit, really? They don't?! :,(

This was considered a good commercial? It's creepy as hell.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

muscles like this? posted:

The panda stuff actually predates Kung Fu Panda. It started off years ago as an April Fool's joke introducing a new race into Warcraft 3. For the rest of it, yeah it sounds pretty stupid.

not only that, but the panda thing actually caused a lot of friction between Blizzard and China (currently their largest customer base) because in Warcraft 3 the Pandarens had Japanese-style clothes and weapons but pandas are China's big animal.

Really, I'm cool with the pandas. Blizzard's character and stories are always bland and generic, saying "gently caress it" and letting people play as big cuddly pandapeople (:3:) is way better than yet another generic and uncreative race of elves or dwarves or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

He may be a bad rapper and actor but Master P is rich as gently caress.

I thought he was pretty broke these days.

MailboxFullOfBombs
Nov 1, 2010
I'm getting really sick of these Snow White commercials. What the hell kind of accent is Charlize Theron trying to do? "HUNT HAR DOWN!"

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Farbtoner posted:

not only that, but the panda thing actually caused a lot of friction between Blizzard and China (currently their largest customer base) because in Warcraft 3 the Pandarens had Japanese-style clothes and weapons but pandas are China's big animal.

No it didn't. Thats just a dumb rumor. There are Chinese made games with panda characters that depict plenty of violence. Blizzard showing game play footage in their commercials however is new.

China has strong censure rules, which is where people get the idea that WoW couldn't have "japanese" pandaren. When in reality WoW panda people are just an amalgamation of the many asian cultures.

Sorry for the derail. The real friction between Blizzard and China is the visual representations of skeletons. Go check out screen shots of China's version of Wrath of the Lich King, really bizarre stuff.

On the topic of commercials. "They call me Bauce" *in front of mic and weirdly jerks camera t to show a musician smirking*

Who is that, and why is he selling an athletic shoe? Every drat commercial break on Hulu.

Siljmonster fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 15, 2012

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MailboxFullOfBombs posted:

I'm getting really sick of these Snow White commercials. What the hell kind of accent is Charlize Theron trying to do? "HUNT HAR DOWN!"

Some kinda insane German/posh English combo I think.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Siljmonster posted:

No it didn't. Thats just a dumb rumor. There are Chinese made games with panda characters that depict plenty of violence. Blizzard showing game play footage in their commercials however is new.

China has strong censure rules, which is where people get the idea that WoW couldn't have "japanese" pandaren. When in reality WoW panda people are just an amalgamation of the many asian cultures.

Sorry for the derail. The real friction between Blizzard and China is the visual representations of skeletons. Go check out screen shots of China's version of Wrath of the Lich King, really bizarre stuff.

You're conflating two different stories here. In the original appearance of the Pandaren dude he was clearly wielding a katana and dressed like a samurai. This led to a modest internet uproar in China because they hate the Japanese for various reasons, this week it's that Diaoyu/Senkaku debacle, see also the Japanese actions in WW2, etc. Post that original picture the artists have made the culture of the Pandaren into more of an East Asian pastiche. There was such a localized uproar Samwise, the Blizzard artist who did the original art, apologized because he had no idea about the China/Japan thing. He just thought pandas were cool, and samurai were cool so he made a samurai panda.

You seem to be thinking that he is parroting the completely false rumor that China wouldn't allow playable Pandas in any form because of some, completely fictional, law that prohibited any depiction of harm being done to pandas. That was just some bullshit someone made up that got traction on the internet.

anticake fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 16, 2012

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Awesome Welles posted:

It's been bugging the poo poo out of me. The only thing going through my mind is "Seriously, who the hell are you?"

Hell, it's even annoying my girlfriend who at least watches some of the stuff on MTV and ABC Family and is a lot more aware when it comes to pop culture than I am, even she doesn't know.

Are you guys referring to the ad with Dianna Agron from Glee?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Siljmonster posted:

The whole thing apparently stemmed from an undead-themed WoW ad that scared children in China. So they cut out most depictions of blood and bones in the game (the undead faction have different models that basically make them into pale humans)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I feel ignorant for hating this commercial(can't find the 30 second version):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdpKIjpaBU8

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gaunab posted:

Why would you hate this commerical? :qq:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The wolf's solo is very grating to me and for some reason the 30 second version isn't as catchy (and it's Levar Burton-less). Also it's played a lot and I don't need no commercial telling me to read my books and whatnot. I'm edjumacated.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

The whole thing apparently stemmed from an undead-themed WoW ad that scared children in China. So they cut out most depictions of blood and bones in the game (the undead faction have different models that basically make them into pale humans)
I thought that the whole "no bones/skeletons in media" stems from some kind of Chinese cultural thing. At least that's what I heard when I played Magic The Gathering, where they basically redraw skeleton creatures for the Chinese market.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Is anyone else sick of this autismal-as-gently caress Levi's commercial? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsP6XTHBwRw

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Gaunab posted:

Don't be.

1. Why do Little Red Riding Hood and Goldilocks have to be sexy ladies?
2. Why is Captain Ahab there? I can't see a kid getting into Moby Dick, what with all the boring stuff you have to wade through to get to the exciting parts.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Is anyone else sick of this autismal-as-gently caress Levi's commercial? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsP6XTHBwRw
Jeans commercials are always all over the place, but the one thing that they all have in common is that they all make you wonder how they make you want to buy jeans.

NY/NJ/CT dwellers: when is the end of that Tri-State Ford dealer sales event? You know why I'm asking this.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Don't be.

1. Why do Little Red Riding Hood and Goldilocks have to be sexy ladies?
2. Why is Captain Ahab there? I can't see a kid getting into Moby Dick, what with all the boring stuff you have to wade through to get to the exciting parts.

Well who else would you put Regina Spektor as?

And as for Ahab, I think Moby Dick has just always been one of those "hey kids you should read books" kind of books, despite the fact that it's dense as hell for today's young reader. I guess it's just one of those things old ad execs do where they don't realize they're putting something that may have made more sense when they were young into the ad.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pththya-lyi posted:

If you do it right, picking someone completely outside your target audience can work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKgBdrsqvjs

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I just saw a commercial for something called "Cenogenics" on TV. This isn't the exact commercial, but it gets the jist across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0KT3ADf77g

Holy poo poo, that photoshopping!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So you're telling me that in just 12 short years, I can look like I'm in marginally better shape?! Sign me up!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pqpPYn71QY

So it just hit me. Healthy Choice Greek Yogurt cast a black woman so she could run in a vegan gang. Wow

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Samsung bought back their awful ad where they mock people standing in line for the iphones while some losers with their lovely phone acts all smug about his phone being better. Yeah, I don't see anyone in line gathering to buy a Samsung phone ever. :fuckoff:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rirse posted:

Samsung bought back their awful ad where they mock people standing in line for the iphones while some losers with their lovely phone acts all smug about his phone being better. Yeah, I don't see anyone in line gathering to buy a Samsung phone ever. :fuckoff:

Those commercials are the best because they're objectively true.

:colbert:

The "special line for waiting in line five times" line? The best.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Sash! posted:

Those commercials are the best because they're objectively true.

:colbert:

The "special line for waiting in line five times" line? The best.

"I could never get a Samsung, I'm creative."

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Rirse posted:

Those commercials are the best. Apple fanatics are the worst.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
People who measure their self-worth (by which smartphone they own) are the worst.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Gonz posted:

People who measure their self-worth (by which smartphone they own) are the worst.

I'm a non-smartphone having Luddite so I think that all smartphone owners suck :smug:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm a non-smartphone having Luddite so I think that all smartphone owners suck :smug:

HERETIC

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Holy poo poo, that photoshopping!

Yeah, that's photoshopped alright, but the level of it is more airbrushing and bulking up, because I believe this is the same guy (linking because I don't think most people want to see what a 30-year old bodybuilder body stuffed into a 70-year old man's skin looks like).

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I have an iPhone but only because AT&T was offering a refurbed 8GB iPhone 4 for $50 back in February (with 2 year renewal). I'd never had a smartphone before and figured $50 for an iPhone was a pretty good deal. It's not out of any sort of ideological choice other than being a cheap-rear end.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea, I got a brand new Droid Razr for $30 when they came out, because they had some crazy sale, along with my new every 2.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Honestly I love those Samsung ads because it's throwing that same smug right back in the face of the diehard Apple fans.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DJExile posted:

Honestly I love those Samsung ads because it's throwing that same smug right back in the face of the diehard Apple fans.

Also, it highlights how god damned stupid it is to wait in a line around the block for a loving phone.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

raditts posted:

Also, it highlights how god damned stupid it is to wait in a line around the block for a loving phone.

Isn't everyone with an Iphone 4S and almost everyone with an Iphone 4 paying full retail price for it too? Pretty slick to release a phone every year when cell phone companies have 20-month upgrade cycles.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My FB page was full of people showing off the box and the subsequent unwrapping of the new iPhone. What the gently caress is wrong with people? It's a phone, not an identity!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Leon Einstein posted:

My FB page was full of people showing off the box and the subsequent unwrapping of the new iPhone. What the gently caress is wrong with people? It's a phone, not an identity!

I'll never understand the fascination some people have with unboxing videos.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SpacePig posted:

I'll never understand the fascination some people have with unboxing videos.

Closest thing I can think of is some kind of vicarious Christmas morning experience. But in this case it's even more retarded because, as has been observed... it's just a loving phone. It's like buying it and unboxing it once for yourself wasn't good enough, you have to relive the experience of materialist self-worth verification over and over again it's the only thing I feel anymore :smithcloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

NY/NJ/CT dwellers: when is the end of that Tri-State Ford dealer sales event? You know why I'm asking this.

Not nearly soon enough.