Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Seeing 18 replies here I expected a new update rather then Darth's annual pre-release ragequit :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Well at least Darthmod Empire 8.0 is fantastic :unsmith:

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Alchenar posted:

It obviously varies from community to community and modder to modder, but in the more obnoxious cases there tends to be a very visible failure to appreciate that what they are doing is standing on the shoulders of giants.

Darth in particular showcases the fact that he's on an ego trip by replacing all the loading screens with a Vader image, destroying all immersion to make sure that the player never forgets his moniker.

Total War mods have achieved incredible things. I'm no fanboy of modders but their work has often showed the kind of care and attention that's lacking from the core game Creative Assembly puts out. If it hadn't been for modders I might never have bought another TW game after Empire, they have enhanced the Total War series.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yes, it's the people making free things for you to use that have entitlement issues, and not you. :what:

Have you ever read about the Elder Scrolls modding scene? Cause those people are horrible.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I'm excited but cautious over the number of different units. I just hope all the units are distinct and have a clear role on the battlefield. I loved Shogun 2's unit roster, because it has a clear rock-paper-scissor combat system, and every unit has a purpose. Likewise I'm not too fond of FotS unit roster because I can't tell the different riflemen apart and have no idea what I'm supposed to do with different units.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure the huge number they listed contains every variation of the same unit based on customization options they talked about.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OHV628oGiU

First gameplay video of Rome 2. PC Gamer says it's ingame footage, which would be impressive, to say the very least.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sole Survivor posted:

First gameplay video of Rome 2. PC Gamer says it's ingame footage, which would be impressive, to say the very least.

Holy "Carthago delenda est" Batman, that looks phenomenal.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Hot drat, that was beautiful.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Sole Survivor posted:

Oh my god. :stare::fh:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember how this was supposed to be an in-game trailer of the first game too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3y0tvky5Iw

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Remember how -
SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

Let me have this, Mans.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Mans posted:

oh wow hahaha

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If those graphics are solid engine stuff, it looks like I will need a better PC to play it :smith:.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Some of the farther away shots look like poshed up in-game graphics, everything closer up is cgi or at least heavily edited.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

That dude's face after the twists the knife. He looks on in horror.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Olive Branch posted:

That dude's face after the twists the knife. He looks on in horror.

I don't think that is horror.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Somebody gif the last 15 seconds of that trailer. That look.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mans posted:

To be fair, that does look at least a fair bit like how it ended up being. All the animations for example are exactly the same.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

edit: efb while I was posting.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but that video looks like in game footage?

True, its not representative of how the game actually plays, but trailers hardly ever are. Ever strategy game I can think of has trailers that are exactly like that, super close ups of units fighting, if they even use in engine stuff at all.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Is there a good video I can watch that will teach me how to play the campaign map in empire and napoleon? I can play battles just fine but I'm completely awful on the map. It takes forever for me to research a single thing and i'm always starving for money.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Man Whore posted:

Is there a good video I can watch that will teach me how to play the campaign map in empire and napoleon? I can play battles just fine but I'm completely awful on the map. It takes forever for me to research a single thing and i'm always starving for money.

Two tips right here, you only need one Church or Inn at the start. Build a 2nd University and throw a Gentleman inside it to research a seperate tech.

The other? trade. Either with nations or grabbing some juicy trade nodes with a merchant fleet.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
While we're on the subject, is there any specific thing I should be doing in Napoleon to not lose every MP match? It seems that all I get set against are campers, and I have no idea how to assault an army in a good defensive position.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Massive Total War sale going on with STEAM right about now, for pretty much all of them.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
If, for whatever reason, you don't have Rome already, it is up for 1€. I got it just so I have it on steam (and get the English dub because the German one sucked. The Triarii sounded...unenthusiastic).

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Is there a way to know what the daily deals will be in advance? I want to know if Alexander, or the Medieval II franchise will similarly cost next to nothing on another day.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

To be fair, that does look at least a fair bit like how it ended up being. All the animations for example are exactly the same.

Yeah, most of the macro-level stuff was in the game. If I remember, they got rid of the non-identical soldiers before release because it killed every system they tested it on.

Total War trailers are always amusing, if for no other reason than that they focus on a bunch of small details that you'll never actually see during a battle.
poo poo, your General could be reading a speech from a piece of paper that actually has the whole speech written on but what's the point of that if the camera is 200ft in the air during every battle you'll ever watch.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

SpaceViking posted:

While we're on the subject, is there any specific thing I should be doing in Napoleon to not lose every MP match? It seems that all I get set against are campers, and I have no idea how to assault an army in a good defensive position.

Take 2 howitzers, if a dude is stilling still on some small defensive position you will blow him away.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Not that I know of, I'm surprised the new community updates doesn't come with feature that is essentially a pop up thats tied to your wish list that tells you when a game on it is for sale discounted.

That would simply be awesome.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Xenoborg posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but that video looks like in game footage?

True, its not representative of how the game actually plays, but trailers hardly ever are. Ever strategy game I can think of has trailers that are exactly like that, super close ups of units fighting, if they even use in engine stuff at all.

I can't tell if you two are smoking rocks, if you didn't watch the whole video, or if you're posting ironically/sarcastically and I'm not getting it.

The first half of the video looks a lot like the original Rome with the exception of the facial animations (which didn't exist). And if you stopped watching before the 55 second mark then your posts make some degree of sense. But after about the 55 second mark EVERY thing you see in the video is wholly fabricated. Not a single one of those combat animations were ever in game. Once the lines engage in melee the rest of the video is a complete fantasy that never existed.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

ChaosSamusX posted:

Is there a way to know what the daily deals will be in advance? I want to know if Alexander, or the Medieval II franchise will similarly cost next to nothing on another day.
The only way I know of requires a sacrificial goat and 20 days of meditation. But seriously, if you'll feel bad over a few bucks, just wait. It's only 3 days and everything will still be 25% off until the last day.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Rome Total War is currently $1 on steam right now, if you need something to tide you over until Rome 2. After 600 hours on Shogun, I'm ready to go back to Europe.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Oh Rome Total War it's been so long since I saw the faction videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45GCULCtvWk
:allears:
Oh it had an awesome intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvZWOG8QkOg

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
CA's went and released a proper modding interface for Shogun 2 & DLC, and tied it to Steam Workshop:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/28/total-er-war-shogun-2-now-on-steam-workshop/

Great news. Total War modders often get a bad rep, but the good ones usually make some outstanding stuff. Can't wait 'til they get some good overhauls in.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bloody brilliant news, I'll be very happy if they could somehow do this to NTW too. I know Empire is a lost cause but...

Also, Darth is going to return and pretend the whole LEAVING FOREVER thing will never happen.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

Bloody brilliant news, I'll be very happy if they could somehow do this to NTW too. I know Empire is a lost cause but...

Also, Darth is going to return and pretend the whole LEAVING FOREVER thing will never happen.

He runs on a yearly cycle of getting pissed off at Creative Assembly, declaring he's going to Quit Modding ForeverTM, and then after his fans stroke his ego enough he gets back into it. The guy is a fantastic modder, and is great at wrapping up dozens of great graphical/sound/extra fluff mods into a well oiled package with his AI, balance, and combat tweaks, but god drat is he a drama queen when he wants to be

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Haven't used a Darth Mod since he started putting up those gaudy splash pages of darth vader and poo poo in his mods

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm reading up on this and it looks like it includes tools for editing the campaign map, so all those mods you ever hoped for for ETW/NTW might be possible now using Shogun 2 if someone is dedicated enough.

I want to see a Victorian mod. FoTS is halfway there already, just need a world map.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Same here, I want my Franco-Prussian or Crimean era Victorian Total War game.

This is great news for the NTW/ETW Civil War guys (fun fact, Hekko the guy who modded North and South for Mount and Blace Napoleonic Wars is a major dev for them) since all they need to do is port most of their models to Shogun 2 and create a proper North American campaign map for it at last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
I checked out the steam workshop for Shogun 2 and found a lot of maps that could only be used for custom battles. That had me wondering; is there a mod that can introduce more map diversity in the campaign?