Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Gianthogweed posted:

Do you think Jackson is going to pull a Lucas and release a special edition of LOTR that replaces Ian Holme's young Bilbo with Martin Freemen?

Unlikely, but I'm not sure.

I suspect though that some years after The Hobbit we may see 3D re-releases of LOTR that might possibly have some upgraded FX here and there.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's no telling what they might do for the inevitable future 3D versions - I mean they may even go so far as to re-render entire CG sequences, because that'll look a million times better in 3D than post-converted stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If the Hobbit trilogy does well there is absolutely no way that LotR doesn't get a theater re-release, and they'd probably use that chance for 3D, some CGI cleanups and maybe some scene editing.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I know a lot of people disagree but the only bit of CG in LOTR that looks glaringly awful is the eagle flying over the mountains in Fellowship. And maybe Gollum's teaser/close-up in Moria but neither really bother me enough to want them changed.

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 22, 2012

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I wouldn't really care either way if they left Ian Holm in the prologue or edited Martin Freeman in. The prologue is sort of "told" by Bilbo (though its spoken by Galadriel) so it can be explained away as foggy/old memories by Bilbo. On the other hand, there's nothing really that iconic/untouchable about a 5 second clip during the prologue so it would be cool to keep continuity.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Silver Brushes posted:

I know a lot of people disagree but the only big of CG in LOTR that looks glaringly awful is the eagle flying over the mountains in Fellowship. And maybe Gollum's teaser/close-up in Moria but neither really bother me enough to want them changed.

Yeah I'll be one of those disagreeing. Honestly a lot of the CGI in the LotR could stand clearing up and some modernizing touches (particle effects, improved lighting and blending and textures), but it is one of those "where is the line?" endeavors that can easily end up doing more harm than good.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Silver Brushes posted:

I know a lot of people disagree but the only big of CG in LOTR that looks glaringly awful is the eagle flying over the mountains in Fellowship. And maybe Gollum's teaser/close-up in Moria but neither really bother me enough to want them changed.

Technically, the Gollum shots look fantastic, they're just grating because the design is so obviously different from the final product.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

I wouldn't mind seeing them fix Glamdring so it actually glows.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
As long as CG bendy-Legolas is cut or fixed...

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Nuclear Galadriel could do with a bit of a do-over...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That one shot where Rohan leaves their valley to go fight with Gondor? Looked terrible, never believed a single one of those horses were real.

And let's not forget the warg fight...

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

It's funny though, because next to the sketchy CGI you get stuff like the Balrog which looked incredible. I still remember the first time I saw that in the theaters in FotR, it was one of those rare moments where your jaw just drops because you know you're looking at something the likes of which you've never, ever seen created on film. And not only did it look fantastic, but it was also perfectly true to the impossible-looking creature that Tolkien describes. Kind of amazing that it was in the same film as Freaky Galadriel.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

That Galadriel scene looked so freaking cheap when it came out, let alone today.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Why did it need CGI again? Would have been perfectly fine if they'd just let Cate Blanchett act a little instead, you know, go for subtlety?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I'll be one of those disagreeing. Honestly a lot of the CGI in the LotR could stand clearing up and some modernizing touches (particle effects, improved lighting and blending and textures), but it is one of those "where is the line?" endeavors that can easily end up doing more harm than good.

Absolutely. The compositing is more of a problem than the CGI anyway. Either way, it'll never happen. Jackson isn't going to George Lucas this. The only change I can see them making, aside from a possible 3D conversion (and even then that's unlikely because of the cost, timing involved, and length of the films), is maybe replacing Holm with Freeman for the flashback scene. But even then I really can't see Jackson doing that.

If the films get rereleased as-is, they'll make a bunch of money. Why would the studio pump a bunch of money into changes for a negligible bump in box office? The figure may be outdated, but last thing I heard a 3D post-conversion costs about $10 million.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Plus they've had enough rereleases that if they were going to change stuff like Gollum in FotR, they would have. Jackson doesn't strike me as much of a revisionist (no, the EE doesn't count) and removing Ian Holm would be grossly disrespectful. Replacing large portions or even entire roles like Lucas did in the OT was shameful. It's erasing from history the contributions of those who helped it become a success in the first place.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

With most questions about Peter Jackson that end with "...just like George Lucas?" the answer is usually no.

This rule null and void for ghost armies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kaworu posted:

It's funny though, because next to the sketchy CGI you get stuff like the Balrog which looked incredible. I still remember the first time I saw that in the theaters in FotR, it was one of those rare moments where your jaw just drops because you know you're looking at something the likes of which you've never, ever seen created on film. And not only did it look fantastic, but it was also perfectly true to the impossible-looking creature that Tolkien describes. Kind of amazing that it was in the same film as Freaky Galadriel.

Except Balrogs don't have wings.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I wouldn't really care either way if they left Ian Holm in the prologue or edited Martin Freeman in. The prologue is sort of "told" by Bilbo (though its spoken by Galadriel) so it can be explained away as foggy/old memories by Bilbo. On the other hand, there's nothing really that iconic/untouchable about a 5 second clip during the prologue so it would be cool to keep continuity.

It can't really be replaced though, can it? Since The FotR version has Bilbo finding the ring, followed by him running when he hears Gollum screaming that he has lost the Ring. But in the Riddles in the Dark chapter, doesn't Gollum not yet know he's lost the ring, and hasn't Bilbo already found it? So I don't think it fits from the get-go to try and change it. The FotR is just a shortened sequence as it's part of flashback.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's wholly unnecessary because it's the product of a kind of unreliable narrator. Of course he would remember himself looking more like he does now than he did then.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

computer parts posted:

Except Balrogs don't have wings.
Now you've done it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FrensaGeran posted:

With most questions about Peter Jackson that end with "...just like George Lucas?" the answer is usually no.

The exception that proves the rule is that Jackson showed he is "just like George Lucas" in that he made an incredibly exciting, rollicking adventure movie with Stephen Spielberg! (I love Tintin).

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
They have the new trailer in 3D in front of Dredd 3D, for those curious. It looked amazing.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

FrensaGeran posted:

This rule null and void for ghost armies.

Yeah, I was somewhat disappointed with the ghost army in ROTK. I was expecting something much scarier and creepier than what we got. Something more zombie-like and physical, especially since this was the same guy who directed Brain Dead. In the commentary he said they were going to do something like that originally, but then Pirates of the Caribbean came out and pretty much used the look they were going for. So they went instead with greenish ghosts. It still works, but just wasn't as scary to me. Also, it would have been nice to see a little more of them in action, rather than just a swarm of green blobbish things bringing the battle to a swift end.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Presto posted:

Now you've done it.

"Mountain giants are a metaphor" is the new "balrogs don't have wings". For the record, both are correct :colbert:

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

peer posted:

"Mountain giants are a metaphor" is the new "balrogs don't have wings". For the record, both are correct :colbert:

Oh my god is this really A Thing that gets talked about with any amount of seriousness? Because jesus christ.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

peer posted:

Heh :)

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

ComposerGuy posted:

Oh my god is this really A Thing that gets talked about with any amount of seriousness? Because jesus christ.

Back when I made the poor choice of frequenting GameFAQs, there were entire topics on the Lord of the Rings message board about this. And they were completely serious.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I should point out I read the books before the films.

I liked the Balrog's description in the book, of a being cloaked in shadow so you couldn't really see it properly. It seemed like the book portrayed it as a being on the same lines as the Nazgul, but much more powerful. There was even a part where he casts a counter spell that stops Gandalf, and he says he's met his match.

However, I loving LOVED the depiction in the film, of a fiery elemental demon which was so much bigger and more threatening than anything depicted so far. They clearly put a lot of love into the CGI, because it still stands up even now. That scene on the bridge is just perfect.

What I'm saying is, I think both depictions worked well for their medium, but probably wouldn't translate well if they were reversed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Came to post this. Love the parallel with the Frodo FOTR poster where he is holding the ring.

Regarding the Galadriel thing, the worst part about is that they pretty much got it right earlier in the movie with the Bilbo/Gandalf scene in Bag End where Gandalf gets all pissed. I know they're not exactly the same but the ideas are very similar.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

edit: Blah whatever the poster is OK I guess

kaworu fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 22, 2012

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Mahoning posted:

Regarding the Galadriel thing, the worst part about is that they pretty much got it right earlier in the movie with the Bilbo/Gandalf scene in Bag End where Gandalf gets all pissed. I know they're not exactly the same but the ideas are very similar.
Absolutely. Seeing the Gandalf scene in the theater the first time? Phenomenal. It gives you this sense of power and terrible majesty that the Galadriel and the dueling-wizards-in-the-tower scenes just failed to capture. (Though Gandalf's charge at Helm's Deep worked fairly well, I think.)

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Absolutely. Seeing the Gandalf scene in the theater the first time? Phenomenal. It gives you this sense of power and terrible majesty that the Galadriel and the dueling-wizards-in-the-tower scenes just failed to capture. (Though Gandalf's charge at Helm's Deep worked fairly well, I think.)

You've got to admit the wizard duel was pretty cool (and hilarious), though.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.
I have watched the trailer on Apple several times now, but is there a place where I can actually download it?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Mahoning posted:

Came to post this. Love the parallel with the Frodo FOTR poster where he is holding the ring.

I love the way he looks a lot less annoying that Frodo did, but that's mostly Elijah Woods' fault for not being Martin Freeman.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
The Goblin King is a ballchinian.

Winepumpkin
Mar 27, 2004

I'm just, you know... I'm just the guy who does the thing.

FrakkinCylon posted:

I have watched the trailer on Apple several times now, but is there a place where I can actually download it?

Go to http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thehobbit/. Under "View trailers" click the little white down-arrow immediately to the right of the "Watch now" button. Right-click one of the download links and choose "Save link as" (or whatever's your browser's equivalent). Enjoy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That Grinnah is definitely who we see Bilbo sword fighting with in the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Winepumpkin posted:

Go to http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thehobbit/. Under "View trailers" click the little white down-arrow immediately to the right of the "Watch now" button. Right-click one of the download links and choose "Save link as" (or whatever's your browser's equivalent). Enjoy.

Also recommend a little thing known as pwn youtube.

• Locked thread