Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SpacePig posted:

I'll never understand the fascination some people have with unboxing videos.

The only thing a unboxing video is neat when a new console is out. Otherwise it just "oh yeah, a new iphone...here the instructions...and usb cable".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Rirse posted:

The only thing a unboxing video is neat when a new console is out. Otherwise it just "oh yeah, a new iphone...here the instructions...and usb cable".

I mean, I can understand if it's a special edition of something, but even game consoles aren't much more than "Here is the unit, here is the controller, here are the instructions". The worst ones I think are the ones that are completely silent, like some sort of postmodern art video or something. Just the rustling of plastic and fluttering of instruction manuals.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Has anyone ironically appropriated the unboxing with something mudane, like a bag of chips?

Because if not, I have nothing going on this weekend...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Alouicious posted:

Not nearly soon enough.
October 1st apparently. 10 more days of this.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Y-Hat posted:

October 1st apparently. 10 more days of this.

yeah but that's when the next one starts up.

Also compared to Jersey the Upstate New York car dealer ads are kind of endearing. At least I don't have people yelling WOO HOO at me every 5 minutes.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Vicas posted:

yeah but that's when the next one starts up.

Also compared to Jersey the Upstate New York car dealer ads are kind of endearing. At least I don't have people yelling WOO HOO at me every 5 minutes.

Car dealer sales "events" never end, they just change the name every now and then. Furniture stores do the same thing.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
"Let's hump, hump, hump, hump, let's hump. A Prius for everyone."

That's what I hear.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm not sure which commercial you guys are referring to, since I live about 3,000 miles away from that region of the country, but in this commercial, does there appear to exist a car dealership that (through unintelligible song), offers to give away free hybrid cars in exchange for repeated sexual intercourse?

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Gonz posted:

I'm not sure which commercial you guys are referring to, since I live about 3,000 miles away from that region of the country, but in this commercial, does there appear to exist a car dealership that (through unintelligible song), offers to give away free hybrid cars in exchange for repeated sexual intercourse?

I was talking about this Toyota thing here. I can see why my post was confusing coming right after those others.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I have no idea what car commercial it is for but there is one where people are talking about their experiences with their old cars. One of them says something like "Ground into the ground" and then someone who sounds a lot like Penn from Penn and Teller shouts "GROUND INTO THE GROUND" then they repeat it and everyone laughs and my eye starts twitching.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
Kinda weird to see that Family Guy Wheatthins commercial on the South Park website.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I hate how inaccurate all these Samsung Galaxy commercials are, you know the ones where people are playing with their phones and all the people standing in line are like "ooooooh."

I mean, c'mon. They feature Apple fans CHANGING THEIR MINDS. We all know that never happens.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Sash! posted:

Has anyone ironically appropriated the unboxing with something mudane, like a bag of chips?

Because if not, I have nothing going on this weekend...

Yeah, stuff like that has been done.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Everytime I see these ads, I want to throw me and the guy(s) who thought them up off a building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0IPBPRYTrc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyl5yTbbELM

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Speaking of local car dealership ads, I want to see TETERBORO CHRYSLER JEEP to fall into a hole to the center of the Earth.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lyz posted:

I hate how inaccurate all these Samsung Galaxy commercials are, you know the ones where people are playing with their phones and all the people standing in line are like "ooooooh."

I mean, c'mon. They feature Apple fans CHANGING THEIR MINDS. We all know that never happens.

Apple fans are so smug and obnoxious! All they do is talk about how great Apple is!

-two continuous pages of people :jerkbag: over how terrible Apple is-

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Hey gang, why don't you guys argue about how terrible or how great apple is while jumping of a loving skyscraper??

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

I guess I don't have to wonder what a ripped Larry David looks like

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SpacePig posted:

I'll never understand the fascination some people have with unboxing videos.

"It's tape."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Has anybody gone into a given commercial break and counted how many of them have Michael Strahan or a Manning brother? I'm pretty sure that there have been multiple commercial breaks with at least three of them.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

has it been proven that negative campaign ads work?

because I'm really tired of hearing how terrible "Candidate X" and "Candidate Y" are. There's literally no escape, even when watching youtube videos.

living in ohio sucks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

because I'm really tired of hearing how terrible "Candidate X" and "Candidate Y" are. There's literally no escape, even when watching youtube videos.

living in ohio sucks.

They wouldn't keep running them if they weren't effective, unfortunately.

And yeah :sigh::respek::sigh:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
The youtube ad I seem to be getting before every. single. video. is the "Is he texting and watching video at the same time? What are you doing? I'm texting and watching video at the same time." grrrr

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hate this ad for some rap album that plays twice in one commercial block on Adult Swim. It shows a test pattern followed by a "turn off your tv and go outside" message, then shows the information for his crappy album.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

FuzzySkinner posted:

living in ohio sucks.

At least your presidential vote counts. I live in one of the 11 states that the FiveThirtyEight guy has at 100% probability for either candidate to win.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Rirse posted:

Hate this ad for some rap album that plays twice in one commercial block on Adult Swim. It shows a test pattern followed by a "turn off your tv and go outside" message, then shows the information for his crappy album.

I think it's Lupe Fiasco you're talking about and his new album is not crappy:colbert:

I dislike this anti-texting while driving campign that at&t has going on. All the commercials are stupid. All of them.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Just saw Bing's "Bing Challenge" commercial that has people doing a blind "taste test" of google and bing and of course everyone picks Bing. You're able to take the test online yourself.

4/5 I picked Google. :smug: suck it, Bing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Bing is about as popular as the Zune.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2205504/Bing-Gains-More-Ground-in-Search-Engine-Market-Share-Yahoo-Resumes-Downward-Slide

Pretty interesting article on search engine shares:

quote:

Bing grew their search engine market share for the third month running, at the expense of both Google and Yahoo. Microsoft’s search engine increased its market share from 15.7 percent to 15.9 percent, comScore reported. Bing’s share of the search market was 14.7 percent in August 2011.

Google fell only slightly from its record high of 66.8 percent to 66.4 percent. In August 2011, Google’s search market share was at 64.8 percent.

Meanwhile, Yahoo resumed the slide they’d halted by holding steady last month, dropping from 13 percent to 12.8 percent. They had fallen in each of the 10 months prior. In August 2011, Yahoo’s search market share was 16.3 percent.

Ask grew their share from 3.1 percent to 3.2 percent. AOL also moved up slightly, marking the first deviation from their constant 1.5 percent with an increase to 1.7 percent.

In total, 68.8 percent of organic searches were performed through Google, while 25.3 percent were powered by Bing.

Explicit core searches shrank, from 17.7 billion in July to 17 billion in August. Google led with 11.3 billion searches (down from 11.8 billion in July); Bing accounted for 2.7 billion, on par with July. Yahoo was again in third place and unchanged, at 2.2 billion; Ask grew slightly with 550 million (up from 548 million) and AOL increased from 264 million to 292 million over the month previous.

ComScore’s figured reflect searches from Home & work locations only, not mobile. This month, they incorporated two changes in reporting, as follows:

“The first enhancement is the incorporation of updated demographic universe estimates based on data from the 2010 U.S. census, which provides an improved accounting of the percentage of the population falling into each demographic segment. The second enhancement was an improvement in comScore’s enumeration survey methodology to better represent persons in cell-phone only households.”

I completely forgot that Ask.com existed.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Jesus Christ! Those new iphone ads are so loving bad. They say nothing about the phone but they show off the headphones you get with the phone and another one shows how your thumb can reach the loving screen. Nothing about the phone or its new "features" just grasping at straws.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm marginally impressed that the iPhone can make panoramic pictures. I'll give it that much. I'm getting really goddamn tired of the new Kia commercial, though; I preferred the old one with the dancing robots.

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010
I really hate the Cars.com commercial with the singing hair. It's creepy.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I don't see Altavista in this article :confused:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Needs more Lycos.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

TontoCorazon posted:

Jesus Christ! Those new iphone ads are so loving bad. They say nothing about the phone but they show off the headphones you get with the phone and another one shows how your thumb can reach the loving screen. Nothing about the phone or its new "features" just grasping at straws.

Heh. The ear bud commercial reminds me of the Domino's commercials when they changed their pizzas. "Hey remember that lovely product we shamelessly provided you with for the last decade or so? Well we made it all better, promise!"

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Needs more Lycos.

Look at this guy that doesn't remember Webcrawler.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

MindlessHavok posted:

Look at this guy that doesn't remember Webcrawler.

Oh no, there's a difference between remembering something, and actively trying to purge it from my brain. Same goes for things like HotBot, Excite, Dogpile and outfits like Compuserve and Prodigy.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I guess they only have so many to shoose from, or maybe I picked "this ad is not relevant to me" one too many times, but I keep getting the same 5 or so commercials every break while watching stuff on Hulu. There's a few Chase commercials that I don't mind, that "Hum a Prius" commercial that I honestly find pretty catchy, and then the Borderlands 2 commercial that I can't stand. It's not that it's a bad commercial, necessarily, but it's just so much louder than everything else that I'm watching that it's jarring and annoying.

As much as I like video games, their commercials regularly get on my nerves.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 25, 2012

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Speaking of cars, I'm disturbed that they decided to scrap the puppet for a CGI animated version of Carfox. I liked the Carfox puppet. I would buy a Carfox puppet if I found one and throw a Carfox party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gonz posted:

Bing is about as popular as the Zune.

Well, at least Bing is good for getting free Microsoft points, so I guess they've got that going for them. Didn't they retire the Zune brand? I thought they changed it to "Xbox Music and Video" or something.