Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
It's entirely possible to go through PPD and not even know you are going through it. While a major sign is wanting to hurt yourself or your kids...even if you don't have that, you can still have a lot of the minor symptoms of PPD that are not really 'red flags' unless you put them all together. It can also manifest with OCD symptoms which was what I had. It wasn't till I had my 2nd kid and realized just how different everything was from my first did I realize I really did have PPD with my first.

One of the things that would freak me out is when I would drop him off, and if I picked him up and he had different clothes on because of a blowout or something...like I knew my kid was my kid because I remember what I dressed him in.

Another was constantly checking to make sure he was in the car seat. I would turn around while driving at least 5 times in a mile just to make sure he was still in the car seat. Even though I never have forgotten him, there was always some fear inside of me that I needed to constantly check on him. Bottles had to be exactly x amount of ozs. Baby food jars were weighed to make sure he had exactly half jar of baby food (with lists kept to make sure I didn't repeat the same vegetable/fruit within a 24 hour period). Baby cereal had to be an exact amount with an exact amount of water, there was no pour a little of this, pour a little of that mix till it looks right. I was pretty neurotic about the weirdest poo poo.

Glad I didn't go through any of that with my second.

Also Dreft causes my eczema and the kids to flare up. Plus it didn't really clean as well as normal detergents.

However; the Dreft stain remover spray is a miracle though. I've had it remove all sorts of stuff...love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Ben just started having trouble sleeping in the bassinet. I feel like it might be due to his body being flat. He will sleep for brief periods in it, but is almost always fussing the whole time in his sleep, and it inevitably ends with him waking up, after I've been awake for 20 minutes already just listening to him.

He'll sleep forever on my chest, and he also enjoys the swing and will stay asleep in that. The bouncer and car seat also work to keep him sleeping for hours at a time.

So I'm wondering about this Rock and Play sleeper everyone keeps raving about on the Baby Center forum. I know it is not recommended for babies to sleep in any of the things I mentioned because it bends their bodies in a weird position and can push the chin to their necks.

There are a ton of good reviews of the Rock and Play on Amazon. I was thinking about calling my pediatrician about it, but I feel like she'd probably want us to keep trying with the bassinet.

Have any of you been told whether this is a recommended bed for newborns or if it's frowned upon by doctors? We're going crazy here. He just will not sleep more than 8 hours a day. Sometimes it's less than that by a lot.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I have it and it's great for us for traveling. If he wakes up a few times in the night for feedings he should be fine sleeping in it. I'd just recommend tucking something in the product for extra padding int he head area to avoid the flat head issue. The deluxe models actually have the padded positioner. We use the head part of this: http://www.amazon.com/Kiddopotamus-...ds=kiddopotamus tucked inside of it (I just shoved it between the structure and the washable liner).

It's super easy to travel with. We lugged our mini arm's reach co-sleeper with us everywhere in the early months with our daughter. This is so much easier to store/carry/set up and travel with.

We actually rolled up a blanket and put it under the "mattress"/pad part of our co-sleeper to form a slight incline in it for when he's sleeping at night. There's a bend in the mattress pad, though, so that works well for us. Not sure how that'd work out with your bassinet.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 24, 2012

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I guess I could try putting something under the mattress before replacing the whole bassinet. If that doesn't work, would I be doing anything wrong by exclusively using the Rock and Play? I just don't want to ruin my baby.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Awesome Kristin posted:

I guess I could try putting something under the mattress before replacing the whole bassinet. If that doesn't work, would I be doing anything wrong by exclusively using the Rock and Play? I just don't want to ruin my baby.

As long as you don't leave him in it for hours and hours on end, he should be fine. It's a pretty mild incline. Not as steep as a bouncy, but more than a wedge sleep positioner.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Ok, thanks! It seems you're always able to answer my questions super quick. I appreciate it.

Oh and here he is at one month last week!

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I don't know if you mentioned this before, and I'm sure your GP already cleared it, but is there any possibility of reflux? I know one of the pack n' plays we used had a bassinet top that you could set at an incline just for reflux-y babies who get uncomfortable laying flat. There are wedges and things you can purchase, but if he has silent reflux, he could very well be fussy because of the positioning.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I spoke to the pediatrician about his spitting up problem and she just said he's gaining weight fine and he'll grow out of it. She didn't mention any possibility of reflux at all.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

My Ben is 2 months old today :)

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Awesome Kristin posted:

I spoke to the pediatrician about his spitting up problem and she just said he's gaining weight fine and he'll grow out of it. She didn't mention any possibility of reflux at all.

My son was a chunky little guy and he still had reflux and was a totally different baby on medication. I think you might want to pursue that further if his symptoms line up.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

If he tends to be really squirmy while laying flat, arching his back and crying, it could definitely be reflux regardless of spit-up or weight gain.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Hmm. Well it really is a challenge to put him to bed because as soon as he's down he tenses up into a ball and is almost impossible to swaddle. Then he keeps alternating drifting to sleep, then tensing up and squeaking/grunting every minute. His next appointment is the 18th next month. I'll put something under the mattress for now and see if that helps him until then.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I personally wouldn't wait. Like skeetied, my baby is a totally different person on reflux medication than off of it. Even waiting until a couple of months old to do it had me kicking myself, largely because I felt guilty over him being in pain for those first couple of months before getting on medication, but also because of the relief it brought us as his parents. His little body was actually relaxed, something we had hardly experienced before.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I just looked up some signs of reflux. It makes me wish I had brought some of these symptoms up to his pediatrician! I'm eager to have her look into this.

He's experienced these symptoms from the list:

silent reflux occurs when the stomach contents only go as far as the esophagus and are then re-swallowed, causing pain but no spitting up

Gagging, choking, frequent burping or hiccoughing, bad breath

Baby may be fussy and sleep less due to discomfort

Spitting up green/yellow fluid

Baby may ‘posture’ and arch the neck & back to relieve reflux pain

So this could be what is causing him to constantly seem like he needs to burp? We generally only get half an hour a day of a perfectly content baby. Any other time between sleeping, we're trying to burp him or he's eating constantly. I really hope this is the answer to our problem.

I am still concerned I will be dismissed when we go in (I know it will be tough convincing my husband after the pediatrican said everything is ok). I don't want to seem like I'm "that mom", but I really don't want Ben to keep experiencing this discomfort.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 16, 2021

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Awesome Kristin posted:

I am still concerned I will be dismissed when we go in (I know it will be tough convincing my husband after the pediatrican said everything is ok). I don't want to seem like I'm "that mom", but I really don't want Ben to keep experiencing this discomfort.

As Lazenca said, don't worry about being that mom. If your pediatrician looks down on you for bringing your justified concerns to him or her, it's time to find a new pediatrician (it's also time to find one if he or she won't diagnose reflux based on weight alone).

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
On the subject of sleeping in swings, bouncers, etc: now I'm worried! When you say it's not recommended for babies to sleep in those, is that just for newborns? My daughter sometimes wouldn't sleep in anything but her swing chair. We asked and our pediatrician never said it was dangerous or problematic as long as that wasn't the only kind of "bed" she was using. We were kind of assuming the swing chair would end up seeing a lot of use with Li'l Neo as well once he's born.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Well what I was looking for is something Ben can sleep long stretches in every time, and I know the things I mentioned are not recommended for that. I'm sure naps in them are ok. For us the bassinet is barely an option for any amount of sleep right now.

I'm really hoping we've found the problem and the pediatrician will take us seriously and a pill is all it will take to make my son a happy baby again.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

We asked and our pediatrician never said it was dangerous or problematic as long as that wasn't the only kind of "bed" she was using.

This is exactly it. For a few months my daughter would only sleep in the swing at night, but we didn't use it exclusively during the day as well. The issues arise when people just plop their babies down in those things for hours and hours at a time including wake times without bothering to pick up the child or in the case of cribs, bassinets, etc reposition their heads.

The only thing I've read scary things about are carseats and I'm imaging it was more of an issue because the infant was scrunched up and likely had a restricted airway. Bucket seats specifically.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 24, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Okay, whew. That swing chair was a real godsend for those 2am no-one-in-the-house-can-sleep nights, and things like being able to eat dinner with all of us in the same room.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
A while back someone had posted a "games to play with your newborn" link.

It was weekly things to do with a baby.

Does anyone have that? Computer crashed and I lost it. All I can find is this one:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_lets-play-weekly-activities-for-your-babys-first-year_1501475.bc#articlesection1

It's close, but not the one I was thinking of.

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer

Awesome Kristin posted:

I'm really hoping we've found the problem and the pediatrician will take us seriously and a pill is all it will take to make my son a happy baby again.

My son is a little older than yours (6 weeks tomorrow) and at my last visit to the doctor she mentioned that I shouldn't be surprised if he got fussy/crankier around 6 weeks. Starting this weekend he has suddenly become fussy and won't sleep as well at night, he's cried more in the last 2 days than he did the first 5 weeks. He doesn't have a fever, he isn't sick or overly gassy and he doesn't have reflux. There's really no reason for him to be cranky, he just is. Hopefully this little phase ends soon.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Maybe someone in here can give me some tips on some discomfort I'm having. Its not "Oh my god I'm going to die!" pain, but uncomfortable enough I'd like to try and find a solution.

I'm now at about 32 weeks and I've been told I'm carrying high. My stomach is big enough that when I sit in a chair like in my car or my chair at work, my belly is pushing up against the underwire of my bra on one side and sort of into my rib. I think the kid is also pushing against the rib on the other side. The only way to make the uncomfortablness go away is to take my bra off, which I do as soon as I get home from work, but really isn't an option for when I'm at work/in my car. I also have a spot on my back almost directly behind where my rib hurts that is almost always either numb or sore. Its just one patch in my mid back on my right side. It definitely feels worse when I'm sitting. I'm assuming its a nerve getting pinched. I'm seeing a massage therapist on Sunday and I was going to see if they have any ideas. The most comfortable position is laying on my back in my bed with a couple pillows under my head and shoulders. I assume its because I'm not using my back muscles to support me. I know you're not suppose to lay on your back when you're as far along as me, but I try not to do it for too long. I honestly don't feel uncomfortable physically doing it like most places say you will.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
So I'm 40 weeks, 5 days and I went to the doctor today for my non-stress test. Everything went well. I told him that I had been having really strong contractions, but at that time they were about 7-10 minutes apart. I'm dilated to 2 and effaced 30%. He offered to induce me, but I want to go naturally so I turned it down.

But so here's my problem- I've been having these really strong contractions for over 5 hours now, but they're still really erratic in terms of how long I go between them. I've also had some contractions that have lasted for at least 2 minutes and they haven't been more than 10 minutes apart for at least 3 hours... my doctor said not to come in until 2 hours of 5 minutes apart and 1 minute long. I'm having a hard time being patient right now, though. Is there a point at which I just go ahead and go in anyway? (My doctor's office does not have an on-call nurse or anywhere for me to call for guidance...)

They are much worse/ stronger when I get up and walk around.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Our birth classes recommended 5/1/1 (5 minutes apart/1 minute long/for 1 hour), not 5/1/2 as your doctor said, so that at least means you can go an hour early!

Think about it this way, if you get impatient and go in now, you're still going to be waiting around for things to progress, but instead of doing it in the comfort of your own home you'll be in a boring hospital room. Did you make a list of activities for early labor? Our doula recommended going for a walk, baking cookies, watching TV, etc.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Papercut posted:

Our birth classes recommended 5/1/1 (5 minutes apart/1 minute long/for 1 hour), not 5/1/2 as your doctor said, so that at least means you can go an hour early!

Think about it this way, if you get impatient and go in now, you're still going to be waiting around for things to progress, but instead of doing it in the comfort of your own home you'll be in a boring hospital room. Did you make a list of activities for early labor? Our doula recommended going for a walk, baking cookies, watching TV, etc.

My contractions never got regular like everything said they would. I was 2 minutes, 10 minutes, 5 minutes, 8 minutes, 2 minutes, 30 seconds right up until I pushed the babies out. That happened with all 3 kids.

I knew it was real labor when it hurt worse than anything I had imagined and I was swearing a lot. :D

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Yeah, I assumed if she was able to type that post then she wasn't at the point where she was vocalizing contractions. If you're vocalizing, go to the hospital.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 21, 2017

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Lullabee posted:

Quick question: does measuring ahead this early (20 weeks, 1 day) mean much later on? Or do they even out by the 3rd trimester? I'm not measuring too far ahead - just 3 days, so I'm not stressing it, was just wondering.

I think that measuring three days ahead is completely within the realm of the "fudge" factor of a 20 week ultrasound. The accuracy gets worse and worse as you get further along (which is why a lot of practices do an ultrasound at eight weeks to determine dating). Plus, unless you have a completely regular 28 day cycle, the method of calculating a due date isn't exactly accurate either. In short, you're fine!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Bought a Rock and Play Sleeper yesterday and Ben slept for 5 hours. I didn't hear him wake up choking once. Is 5 too long? I don't mind waking him up earlier if I need to. Neither of us are used to that much sleep. He didn't even wake up all the way until I changed Him. He was just quietly grunting and mouthing his hands.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Awesome Kristin posted:

Bought a Rock and Play Sleeper yesterday and Ben slept for 5 hours. I didn't hear him wake up choking once. Is 5 too long? I don't mind waking him up earlier if I need to. Neither of us are used to that much sleep. He didn't even wake up all the way until I changed Him. He was just quietly grunting and mouthing his hands.

If he's back up to his birth weight and your milk supply is fine, then let him sleep. He's right around a month old right?

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Yup. 6 weeks this Saturday.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Awesome Kristin posted:

Yup. 6 weeks this Saturday.

Enjoy the sleep, man. Mine slept for long stretches from around 8 weeks to 6 months. Take it while you can. I'd still definitely go see the ped about the reflux. No need for baby to be in pain if you can medicate it away!

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

So you're not that special. Welcome to the human race!
Alterian: with my last pregnancy, I switched to a non-underwire bra and it really helped a lot.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

altazakin posted:

Alterian: with my last pregnancy, I switched to a non-underwire bra and it really helped a lot.

:aaaaa: I have no idea why I didn't think of that. I feel bad buying new ones again. I just bought new ones and they don't fit very well. I don't think the woman measured me right. I bought them at an outlet mall and don't feel like driving the half hour there to return them. I'm having the issues with older better fitting ones so I know its not just those bras.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Ugh, I hate buying bras, especially when it's so hard to know what size you'll go back to after pregnancy and nursing. But since it's not for many more weeks, can you get away with some inexpensive sports bras or the like?

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
So, I wound up getting induced on the night of the 22nd. I went into the ER due to seeing flashing lights, something my mom had seen when she had toxemia. My urine came back fine, but my blood work showed elevated liver enzymes. It was possible that it could have been due to the meds that I take but with me being high-risk and 38 weeks, they decided they needed to deliver.

I got an epidural shortly after getting the pitocin. As suspected, all of my contractions were felt in my lower back and it was excruciating. The epidural was such a god-sent. As was my nurse. She was friendly, very pleasant, very informative and knowledgeable and made the entire labor go by quickly. She flipped me into different positions while I labored to help me dilate, which I appreciated. I didn't want to just lay there the entire time.

When it came time to push, everything went by very quickly. It only took 14 pushes in 30 minutes to get him out. He had the cord wrapped around his neck twice, but they got him situated quickly and he was perfectly healthy besides that, weighing 7lbs, 6oz and was 20 inches long. I'm also amazed that I didn't tear at all. I thank my awesome nurse for that, because she made sure to massage my perenium and also used mineral oil while she did (she swears by it).

They kept us for two days to make sure we were both healthy, and all of our lab work came back looking great. Thankfully, none of my illnesses or medications affected him negatively.

I'm recovering pretty well. Just experiencing all of the things I was told to expect. Some light bleeding, some cramping. Nothing at all unbearable. He's also taken to breast feeding really well and latches wonderfully. My milk supply just started coming in, so I'm a bit engorged and tender, but warm compresses and pumping once a day have helped a ton.

I'm really amazed that the labor and delivery were not only pleasant, but painless, as is the recovery. :)

Stephen at one day old. :)

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

CravingSolace posted:

Stephen at one day old. :)

Congrats on your gorgeous boy and your amazing delivery!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
He's so cute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Congratulations, CravingSolace! That is a most excellent little baby you've got there. Glad to hear everything went relatively well for you guys.