Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

If anyones been fighting with apple over getting them to honor warranties KEEP FIGHTING.

I just got my warranty restored after I finally took it to a third party licensed apple repairer who agreed with me, that with no liquid damage sensors tripped and no evidence there was any liquid in the device (There wasn't. The "genius" idiot based his entire thing on the fact there was a coffe cup ring on the top of the case (ok yeah poor form of me, but that doesnt mean anything other than I was a bit careless that day).

So finally my warranty is repaired and my laptop restored.

Take away lesson: Take your mac for repairs to a third party licenced apple repair shop , even if it might sometimes take a day longer to get your mac back, theres no probability some fuckhead is going to lodge an erroneous liquid damage report just because he's lazy and/or incompetent and has no financial motivation to fix it.

I guess I better call the Dept of Fair Trading (australia) and withdraw my complaint, though I still think Apple owe me 6 months of extended warranty for how long I was limping around with an epileptic machine with a broken logic board because apple where being dickheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

duck monster posted:

If anyones been fighting with apple over getting them to honor warranties KEEP FIGHTING.

I just got my warranty restored after I finally took it to a third party licensed apple repairer who agreed with me, that with no liquid damage sensors tripped and no evidence there was any liquid in the device (There wasn't. The "genius" idiot based his entire thing on the fact there was a coffe cup ring on the top of the case (ok yeah poor form of me, but that doesnt mean anything other than I was a bit careless that day).

So finally my warranty is repaired and my laptop restored.

Take away lesson: Take your mac for repairs to a third party licenced apple repair shop , even if it might sometimes take a day longer to get your mac back, theres no probability some fuckhead is going to lodge an erroneous liquid damage report just because he's lazy and/or incompetent and has no financial motivation to fix it.

I guess I better call the Dept of Fair Trading (australia) and withdraw my complaint, though I still think Apple owe me 6 months of extended warranty for how long I was limping around with an epileptic machine with a broken logic board because apple where being dickheads.

It's all about who you talk to at Apple. We had a customer with the NVIDIA issue on her old 15" MBP, and even though it was 2 years outside of the REP, she kept calling over and over again, and finally got ahold of a compassionate Apple employee who granted her an exception.

It's the same with us techs at apple resellers. When we get into a chat with Apple, it's a crapshoot whether the person on the other end is going to be extremely helpful or a complete dick.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Over the last few days my three finger swipe has become intermittent - known hardware issue as the glass trackpads start to get really old? All of the other gestures work, the three finger just stops working for a little bit and then comes back.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Did You Know? - A mild detergent and lukewarm water can remove Cheeto dust from fingers with just a quick scrub. I keep wet naps in a fish bowl labeled "gesture accelerators".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use tongs to eat my cheetos to avoid gunking up my trackpad.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Anybody have problems with the keys on their retina MBP falling off yet? 3 weeks, only been using this thing really for 2 (was out of the country), and I just had to take it in to get the semicolon key replaced.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So this is a bit odd. I accidentally had my backpack with my MBP in it fall off a counter today and now it won't lay flat on a surface - it's like a wobbly table with one uneven leg. My guess is that one of the four rubber feet got messed up, but are they replaceable? (Under AppleCare, no negative effects otherwise, short fall.)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kuskus posted:

Did You Know? - A mild detergent and lukewarm water can remove Cheeto dust from fingers with just a quick scrub. I keep wet naps in a fish bowl labeled "gesture accelerators".

It's not my fingers being cheeto dusted. :v: I don't even eat that kind of poo poo, or at my desk at all.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Arivia posted:

So this is a bit odd. I accidentally had my backpack with my MBP in it fall off a counter today and now it won't lay flat on a surface - it's like a wobbly table with one uneven leg. My guess is that one of the four rubber feet got messed up, but are they replaceable? (Under AppleCare, no negative effects otherwise, short fall.)

Not sure about AppleCare, but if purchased the feet are something like $10 each.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
How bad am I killing my 2011 MBP's battery? Each day I bring it to work, plug it in and use it for watching Netflix or as a spare screen for testing. Each night I bring it home, plug it in and do my general use browsing/writing/photoshop type stuff. Each weekend I drag it outside for more writing for a few hours.

I know I need to deep cycle the battery once a month or so, but I'm wondering if I'm slowly killing my MBP and wouldn't be better off getting an iMac for my house and leaving the laptop for actual away from the desk uses. I'm using it as my primary home workstation, but generally link all my work by Dropbox anyway, so the only real reason I use it at home is because it's my only Mac. I'd hate to think my using it at work and home, plugged in almost all the time, is slowly killing my primary computer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mortanis posted:

How bad am I killing my 2011 MBP's battery?

You get 1000 cycles, take that for what it's worth.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wouldn't stress about it, by the time the battery needs replacement you'll probably want a new laptop anyway.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
Since the OP is somewhat dated since Mountain Lion came out, I'm going to ask a pretty common question again.

Has the consensus on enabling TRIM for a third party SSD drive under Mountain Lion changed? I recently installed a Crucial M4 256GB SSD drive on my MBPro13 8,1 and have not enabled TRIM. A lot of Googling and searching on that drive has given completely mixed reviews about whether it's worth trying to enable TRIM, so I've decided to leave it disabled for the time being.

Anyone have a good reason why I should consider enabling it in Mountain Lion?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Benchmark of the factory 128GB SSD (SM128E) from a 2012 MacBook Pro 13"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Jeratain posted:

Has the consensus on enabling TRIM for a third party SSD drive under Mountain Lion changed? I recently installed a Crucial M4 256GB SSD drive on my MBPro13 8,1 and have not enabled TRIM. A lot of Googling and searching on that drive has given completely mixed reviews about whether it's worth trying to enable TRIM, so I've decided to leave it disabled for the time being.

Anyone have a good reason why I should consider enabling it in Mountain Lion?

Well, Apple's own SSDs have TRIM enabled, so why not a third party's?

SandForce based SSDs like the ones from OWC/Macsales supposedly do good garbage collection on their own so they don't really need it. I have a Samsung 830 and I'm always deleting stuff, my drive would sometimes experience slowdowns and stutters when I didn't keep TRIM enabled.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I think this is going to be one of those questions where I ask it, I find no solution, and then I abandon the hardware completely after exerting all kinds of energy trying to fix it.

Does anyone use 27" iMac 2011 graphics such as the Radeon 6970M 1GB and, at first, experience beautiful, full-resolution graphics at maximum res in games (Borderlands 2, TF2) and then after about 90 seconds, the frame rate gets cut in about half? I'm sure this is a "I'm warm, so I'm clocking down now" optimization, but I'm so peeved. The fans do not start up any more than normal (barely above silent), I just get half the performance after 2 minutes. Windows 7 under Bootcamp delivers the same results. I want to use this card with reckless abandon but it doesn't seem possible.

I guess I could just leave fan control on high and give it another shot, but that's only possible under OS X I'm guessing.

TL;DR- wah, I'm a lil' baby that can't play games on my iMac.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

kuskus posted:

I think this is going to be one of those questions where I ask it, I find no solution, and then I abandon the hardware completely after exerting all kinds of energy trying to fix it.

Does anyone use 27" iMac 2011 graphics such as the Radeon 6970M 1GB and, at first, experience beautiful, full-resolution graphics at maximum res in games (Borderlands 2, TF2) and then after about 90 seconds, the frame rate gets cut in about half? I'm sure this is a "I'm warm, so I'm clocking down now" optimization, but I'm so peeved. The fans do not start up any more than normal (barely above silent), I just get half the performance after 2 minutes. Windows 7 under Bootcamp delivers the same results. I want to use this card with reckless abandon but it doesn't seem possible.

I guess I could just leave fan control on high and give it another shot, but that's only possible under OS X I'm guessing.

TL;DR- wah, I'm a lil' baby that can't play games on my iMac.

You can control the fans in Windows.

ChuckLogan
Oct 10, 2009

Oh yeah? Well, I had sex with your wife!

kuskus posted:

Dude, seriously, eat some fruit... J/K thanks for the tip. :hfive:

So, for the typical Goon/Dooder 8GB ram is the recommendation, for my wife who basically has 1 tab in safari and iPhoto open for pictures of our daughter, is the 4GB 13" a good buy?( I am pretty sure it is, I would just like the pat on the back. :haw: )

ChuckLogan fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 22, 2012

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Legdiian posted:

You can control the fans in Windows.

I'm thrilled to report that setting a few variables in MacFanx64 keeps my framerates high and my temperatures a balmy ~60C. Set fan minimums to about 1/3 blowing power and I'm good to go, reset them to minimum when I'm done. Even Hawken Alpha 2 does just fine. So pleased.

ChuckLogan posted:

Dude, seriously, eat some fruit...
I don't actually believe BlackMK4 or anyone in this thread eats anything but quinoa and chia seeds. :o:

4GB plus the Air's SSD is stellar for most everything, she'll be fine. I had barely any hiccups when my RAM was maxed on a 13" Air with 4GB.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Anyone running gfxCardStatus been having it act really weird lately? Whenever I try to switch between GPUs now, my display turns into 2 thin-lines of pixels glitching out. I'm still under AppleCare (2010 15" MBP), and I'm wondering if this possibly the GeForce beginning to fail on me.

I'm trying to get exact conditions to reproduce it, but I think it might be tied to running VMWare Fusion as well, I am not 100% sure. But it's happened twice in the past week all of a sudden.

I'm on 10.7.4.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

movax posted:

Anyone running gfxCardStatus been having it act really weird lately? Whenever I try to switch between GPUs now, my display turns into 2 thin-lines of pixels glitching out. I'm still under AppleCare (2010 15" MBP), and I'm wondering if this possibly the GeForce beginning to fail on me.

I'm trying to get exact conditions to reproduce it, but I think it might be tied to running VMWare Fusion as well, I am not 100% sure. But it's happened twice in the past week all of a sudden.

I'm on 10.7.4.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088?viewlocale=en_US

Could be this. Take it to an AASP or a fruit stand and they'll run a test on it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Voodoo Cafe posted:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088?viewlocale=en_US

Could be this. Take it to an AASP or a fruit stand and they'll run a test on it.

Sweet, thanks.

This started happening after two weeks of the most intense usage this machine has seen since I bought it, (In the lab running VMs / compiling code / running analyzers / etc, 24/7) so maybe it's exacerbating assembly issue(s) with the GT330M BGA.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Does anybody have any suggestions at all for external disc drives that I could use via USB with my iMac?

I have a problem whereby whenever I insert a disc into my iMac, be it an audio CD to import into iTunes, or a DVD that I want to watch, 9 times out of 10 the disc will have scratches on it when ejected. The scratches are always exactly the same as well. They don't damage the discs to the point of them being unreadable or causing skipping, but at the same time it really sucks purchasing a brand new CD, and then having scratches on it instantly after I've put it into my iMac.

For reference, I'm using a 27" iMac that's about 2 or 3 years old now? I'm not sure if my Apple Care still covers it, but regardless the prospect of taking this all the way to an Apple store (quite a long drive, and quite a long walk on top of that since there would be no available parking nearby) is quite off putting. Unless Apple is ever willing to send somebody to carry out repairs at your home? Probably wishful thinking.

Anyways, any suggestions for a USB disc drive that I could use to import audio CD's to iTunes and watch DVDs with would be much appreciated.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You can check if your iMac is still covered by AppleCare on apple.com. Regarding taking it to a store, I've heard people say that if you ask Fruit Stand employees for help carrying Macs into the store, they will happily oblige.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
What are the chances of a Mac mini refresh anytime soon? I want to get one for my kids for Christmas but I'd hate to buy now if a refresh will happen in a couple months.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

Syano posted:

What are the chances of a Mac mini refresh anytime soon? I want to get one for my kids for Christmas but I'd hate to buy now if a refresh will happen in a couple months.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Mini

Likely soon? No one knows for sure though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Arivia posted:

You can check if your iMac is still covered by AppleCare on apple.com.

Instead of trawling through half of Apple's web site to get to support, here is the direct URL to put in your serial number to see if your Apple hardware is still covered:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

quote:

Regarding taking it to a store, I've heard people say that if you ask Fruit Stand employees for help carrying Macs into the store, they will happily oblige.

At one particular suburban NY mall, Apple Store personnel will meet you at The Cheesecake Factory entrance to help carry your iMac / MacPro up to the store.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The Apple store in that particular suburban mall moved to the other side because of renovations, so you'd be better off with the California Pizza Kitchen entrance.

I once got an employee at a particular glass cube to stand outside with a cinema display for five minutes while I pulled my rental car around the block to pick it up.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
I bought a RMBP back in July, and I have an old (2007) Macbook that I want to transfer data from. The 2007 Macbook is dead and won't boot any more, but I believe this is a result of a hardware failure unrelated to the working state of the HD.

If I pick up any old SATA to USB cable, can I just plug and play here? Or do I need to buy a cable/adapter that has drivers or other software written for OS X?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Born Approx. posted:

I bought a RMBP back in July, and I have an old (2007) Macbook that I want to transfer data from. The 2007 Macbook is dead and won't boot any more, but I believe this is a result of a hardware failure unrelated to the working state of the HD.

If I pick up any old SATA to USB cable, can I just plug and play here? Or do I need to buy a cable/adapter that has drivers or other software written for OS X?

Should be plug and play.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
Sweet, thanks! Hopefully I'm right about the HD being more or less alive...

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

MUFFlNS posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions at all for external disc drives that I could use via USB with my iMac?

Yeah, if its under warranty there's no reason not to get it fixed. Past that- vertical operation may be causing that. I bought a SilverStone TS06 enclosure / drive mount for my iMac's slot loading drive and it works just fine via USB in the cheap external enclosure, but sounds scuffy when vertical. Targus makes a bunch of USB-powered DVD drives that should be at your local Target / Staples. You could give one a shot and see if it meets your needs.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Apologies, as this has probably been asked dozens of times in the past: I want my 2012 11" MBA to drive my Dell 23" at its full resolution, while keeping the lid open and the MBA screen off. Basically, I want the option to use the trackpad.

Is this possible? It doesn't seem like it, based on my limited messing around with the display prefs. The only way I get the monitor working as intended is when the MBA is closed - which of course prevents me using the trackpad.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lexicon posted:

Apologies, as this has probably been asked dozens of times in the past: I want my 2012 11" MBA to drive my Dell 23" at its full resolution, while keeping the lid open and the MBA screen off. Basically, I want the option to use the trackpad.

Is this possible? It doesn't seem like it, based on my limited messing around with the display prefs. The only way I get the monitor working as intended is when the MBA is closed - which of course prevents me using the trackpad.

Is there a reason you don't want both monitors active? You could set it up to mirror the displays if you don't want the desktop to span both displays.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's a new-in-box AEBS for $100 in SA-Mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507003

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Is there a reason you don't want both monitors active? You could set it up to mirror the displays if you don't want the desktop to span both displays.

Mirroring is no good because this Dell 2312HM is way bigger than the MBA's resolution. Spanning kinda sucks too just because of Lion/ML's lovely multiple monitor support. I suppose I could do this - I just think the 11" display is a distraction at the end of the day compared to the 23".

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Lexicon posted:

Mirroring is no good because this Dell 2312HM is way bigger than the MBA's resolution. Spanning kinda sucks too just because of Lion/ML's lovely multiple monitor support. I suppose I could do this - I just think the 11" display is a distraction at the end of the day compared to the 23".

You could span but make the external a primary monitor, couldn't you? Then if you full-screened something the grey linen would appear on the MBA and not the external monitor?

I stopped trying to do OS X with external monitors, so I dunno, anymore. Stupid Apple.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

mediaphage posted:

You could span but make the external a primary monitor, couldn't you? Then if you full-screened something the grey linen would appear on the MBA and not the external monitor?

Yeah, I suppose this would work. Of course, then I'd have the hassle of moving the display to the other side of my desk because my dock is on the left-side of the screen. Rabble rabble rabble firstworldproblems.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lexicon posted:

Yeah, I suppose this would work. Of course, then I'd have the hassle of moving the display to the other side of my desk because my dock is on the left-side of the screen. Rabble rabble rabble firstworldproblems.

There's an app that puts the menubar on all displays. I can't remember what it's called, though. I think it's in the OP of the mac software thread.

Edit: you said Dock. Then I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got my refurb MacBook Air today (current model). Loving the SSD and everything else so far, but for some reason I can't get rid of the notifications icon in the top right. I've tried

code:
sudo launchctl remove com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent
launchctl remove com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent
several times, but it always comes back after reboot. Any other ideas?