Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
25% :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

mindphlux posted:

tell me more, I'm sort of curious/afraid about this. :(

When you file married you're filing on joint income and things haven't really been adapted to the modern two income household. A lot of times that bumps poorer couples up/ makes them ineligible for certain deductions, stuff like that. I think ~50 percent of couples end up paying more than they would unmarried, 30 percent save money.

There are a few protections for extremely low income families if you're each making comparable 40+ salaries your taxes will probably go up. Be aware of that when you're changing tax forms so you don't own an extra three grand next year!

Edit: yeah married filing separately is almost always going to be a disaster, you have various state laws dictating how you split your income and then you can't claim like child credits and college credits and all kinds of bizarre poo poo, it's basically only useful if you accrued and paid a zillion dollars in medical debt or got a car that was only in your name stolen and also didn't have insurance

Gourd of Taste fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 21, 2012

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Before deductions. Happy Freedom y'all! (I paid no Federal Income Taxes last year, I am the 47%).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Walk Away posted:

Edit: I should add that there can be advantages to every situation but never, I mean never, file 'Married Filing Separate" unless a lawyer tells you to.

poo poo that was my next thought. :(

whelp, that sucks. I thought taxes were supposed to go down when you got married goddamnit - not up.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 21, 2012

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

mindphlux posted:

whelp, that sucks. I thought taxes were supposed to go down when you got married goddamnit - not up.

That's what you jerks get for being all lovey-dovey and poo poo. (I'm not bitter.)

I have some earned income from the beginning of the year and my self-employment income is just barely starting to pick up. Between that, being relatively poor for now and having a kid I'm going to be getting a fat refund for this year. Next year though, ho boy that's going to suck.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Argh, it's 1am and I'm out of flour. loving Hell. No more pastry for me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
OMFG. Cold-smoked jaccard-tenderized flank steak and served it cut thin against the grain fajita style after cooking it to a nice mid-rare with a huge crust. Unreal. The crust is like bacon. The texture with the smoke just works. Always need to smoke more beef.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Gourd!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

Before deductions. Happy Freedom y'all! (I paid no Federal Income Taxes last year, I am the 47%).
I think I paid in the general area of 52% (net), my wife the same.

But that is the Danish system for you, having income redistribution is expensive, and so is having public services, so I pay happily.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
edit: go away dumb EN poo poo

just changed the menu and last night I cooked the entree station for dinner service, cooking most of the dishes for the first time, while chef and sous chef were busy with a wedding. ended up doing 100+ covers and I did every entree that wasnt carbonara. then I celebrated by getting drunk and maudlin! (see edit)

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 22, 2012

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

pr0k posted:

Hey man, congrats. :)

Thanks buddy. Kept it on the down low for a number of reasons, then surprise announced it afterwards :)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

Thanks buddy. Kept it on the down low for a number of reasons, then surprise announced it afterwards :)
So she's knocked up, right?

Anyway, congrats!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

You have to be careful when filing jointly if your incomes are very different because it's really easy to have too little tax withheld from the person who earns less.

After Mr. W and I got married and moved to Louisiana, I got two jobs. I filled out both W4s as married filing jointly/withhold at higher single rate figuring I'd be fine and get a reasonable refund. I didn't realize that there is a second page to the W4 (I don't my employers did either) and the IRS happily assumed that both jobs were my only job and didn't tax the first 8k(or thereabouts) from either. Mr. W was two tax brackets north of me that year. We ended up owing a lot.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The "marriage penalty", although real, is one of those silly dog-whistle things that the republicans like to bitch and moan about; it's a pretty small penalty in the grand scheme of things. The reality is that the financial and legal advantages to being married are VAST... starting with the unlimited spousal exemption when you croak. Folks like Dino totally deserve that.

I mean, you can hire a lawyer to set up some complicated trusts that will do that for you, but gently caress that, het people get that for free.

Happy Hat posted:

But that is the Danish system for you, having income redistribution is expensive, and so is having public services, so I pay happily.

Agreed! I make decent money, and I pay a lot in taxes. And yet, I like paying taxes! Apparently though, this means that I Hate America.

Hey Gourd! Good to see you man!
GoWithChrist and I were just talking about you the other day... we tried to find your ghost pepper video on YouTube, but came up empty handed.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Just found out I'm gonna be an uncle! Cannot wait to keep my future niece and get her hooked on food my sister has no idea how to make muahahaha

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Am I the only one who're provoked by insufferable NLP and their modern day sexually repressed, therapeutic and semi-religious fake nipple?

I have a deeply rooted need to assist them in their positive envisioning of future states by throwing in a big loving monkey wrench of a reality check in their ever spinning wheel of self-delusion, by pointing out to them that the personal resource that they so readily assume is available to them is called intelligence, and that they are at the lowest loving rung of the ladder, with only the ability to step down.

Or in other words... I have had yet another run-in with HR!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

What happened?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
National Liberal Party of Denmark?

or...

Nipple Legitimacy Pretense!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

goddammit read this poo poo :staredog: http://www.nlp.com/

Three weeks in PRC coming to an end. An endless carousel of crowded streets, stinking gutters around shining high-rises, beggars hustling stock brokers under bamboo scaffoldings, feeling like an isolated stranger constantly regarded and analyzed without the means to communicate properly. And food, of course, and rice wine, and an overwhelmingly friendly and hospitable family. I miss home. But I think I'll miss this place too. Especially the crab and the red-cooked pork belly.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

NLP is loving dreadful, the hold it has over some companies is testimony to the fact that the private sector is not inherently efficient.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

That and 'mindfulness' are seriously getting on my tits!

They had the audacity to suggest that my choice of language and ways of communication would be improved if only I joined their religion, and also that I would be able to better channel my energies towards productive ends through self-programming.... as if masturbating while crying isn't productive!

I called them pod-people and started chanting 'one of us' under my breath.

The meeting was very productive!

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Hit 'em with the nam-shub of Enki!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Sjurygg posted:

goddammit read this poo poo :staredog: http://www.nlp.com/

Three weeks in PRC coming to an end. An endless carousel of crowded streets, stinking gutters around shining high-rises, beggars hustling stock brokers under bamboo scaffoldings, feeling like an isolated stranger constantly regarded and analyzed without the means to communicate properly. And food, of course, and rice wine, and an overwhelmingly friendly and hospitable family. I miss home. But I think I'll miss this place too. Especially the crab and the red-cooked pork belly.

This was a good post.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Just found out I'm gonna be an uncle! Cannot wait to keep my future niece and get her hooked on food my sister has no idea how to make muahahaha

! I have a niece (several but especially the one that's almost three) now and we have been cooking together. her parents can't convince her to eat anything but like cheese and bread but when we make stuff she insists on trying every ingredient, and then making everyone in the room try. a champion kid.

Hi dnf and squashy! that video should be somewhere! maybe youtube?

edit: oh god I am an old person now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1E2INbrnDw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Aww, google changed the caption beta. It doesn't say this anymore:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

pr0k posted:

Hit 'em with the nam-shub of Enki!

Oh god.

A few weeks ago I was listening to some interview on NPR with a linguist when some idiot calls in with a question about whether they believe that glossolalia was some sort of subconscious return to a universal human language. I wanted to crawl through my radio and smack a goon.

(that said, it's still one of my favorite novels)

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Wroughtirony posted:

Oh god.

A few weeks ago I was listening to some interview on NPR with a linguist when some idiot calls in with a question about whether they believe that glossolalia was some sort of subconscious return to a universal human language. I wanted to crawl through my radio and smack a goon.

Did the linguist at least shut them down?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Wroughtirony posted:

Oh god.

yo you still talk in the same patterns you're used to what in the world

npr callers are often the worst

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

And yet on occasion, sometimes the best! The only problem is that most of the hosts are too polite to just hang up on the idiots.

NLP isn't just for HR departments! Among other things, it has some overlap with hypnosis. For some reason that has never been clear to me, erotic/kinky hypnotists frown on NLP techniques, considering them to be immoral. Some of those creepy Pick Up Artists types promote certain NLP techniques, so maybe that's why.

Thanks for the link, there are just too many ghost pepper videos on Utoob now.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

Oh god.

That's not such a weird thing to assume I guess if you're the average dumbshit who sits at home and thinks too much.

I've mentioned this before several times, but it just fits more and more: linguistics, number theory and nuclear/quantum physics are the Three Great Crazy Person Sciences. Crazies swarm to those fields like rats to cheese. I once had the stupid inclination to mention Ulam spirals (a way to print integers in spiral patterns to create noticeable clusters of prime numbers) to a random crazy chick after a soaked night and I spent the next two hours frantically trying to explain what a polynomial is and how some are richer in primes than others and how prime numbers aren't magic or supernatural at all.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

I spent the next two hours frantically trying to explain what a polynomial is and how some are richer in primes than others and how prime numbers aren't magic or supernatural at all.

Look at how wrong you are. :tinfoil:

Runs the Sieve of Eratosthenes, summons a level 12 demon.

:c00lbert:

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Sjurygg posted:

...and how some are richer in primes than others and how prime numbers aren't magic or supernatural at all.

Now you're just being silly.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Dino's book owns, buy that poo poo. So help me god I will make this girl eat indian food.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Did the linguist at least shut them down?

The linguist handled it like a champ. He said something along the lines of "Interesting question! You're right that glossolalia truly is a fascinating thing to study. [several interesting facts about glossolalia, none of which have anything to do with the question.]"

erotic/kinky hypnotists? PUAs using NLP? No offense, Squashy, but I'm so glad I'm done with the whole dating scene.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Hooray! Congratulations. Let me know when your own come into the picture too, and I'll be sure to do the same. ;) Granted, half the time, we'd end up following each other around with random vegetables, going, "OH GOD TRY THIS TOO IT'S SO GOOD." I miss you, secret bromance friend.

Happy Hat posted:

Am I the only one who're provoked by insufferable NLP and their modern day sexually repressed, therapeutic and semi-religious fake nipple?
Wait, what? What is NLP.

I read Jury's link, and am still confuse.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Dino's book owns, buy that poo poo. So help me god I will make this girl eat indian food.
<3

Wroughtirony posted:

erotic/kinky hypnotists? PUAs using NLP? No offense, Squashy, but I'm so glad I'm done with the whole dating scene.
I'm all about kinky hypnotists, but what is a PU-

Oh wait. WTF. EW EW EW.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF GOR MRA PUA :whip:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
It's restaurnat week here in Austin, and our F&B director dropped the ball and didn't get us registered this year. Which is kinda good, because I can go eat out a lot this week. Which is also bad because there goes all that extra OT pay. =/

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So by the way if proposing in a restaurant is generally out, what might be some other good ideas?

My annulment came through.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
A Ke$ha concert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Perfect! I'll book today!