Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

The_Franz posted:

QoS still needs to know just how much bandwith you have available so that it knows when to start throttling things.

Yeah, in our situation QoS also wouldn't be ideal because of the variability of the top speed of our internet connection. We'd need to err on the side of caution and setup QoS for our 2.5MB/s prime time hour speed and then it'd all be wasted when usage on our node peters off. Also, not everyone has complete control of the network they're on to just drop a QoS router into the mix, so this could have uses outside of my particular situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

zalmoxes posted:

SABnzbd allows you to change the download limit through the API,

If that's the case it would be easy to write a script to do this. Few hours work, tops.

I'm not going to do it right now, though.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Only concern I'd have would be getting the balance between ping frequency and throttling velocity while accounting for ping variance to a server outside your network. For example, here's a quick output of my ping on my 802.11n 5GHz network while basically nothing's going on:

quote:

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=0 ttl=251 time=98.461 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=251 time=22.798 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=251 time=102.642 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=251 time=98.655 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=4 ttl=251 time=26.459 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=5 ttl=251 time=105.567 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=6 ttl=251 time=19.204 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=7 ttl=251 time=98.120 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=8 ttl=251 time=100.257 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=9 ttl=251 time=22.257 ms

The script should be running some form of history collection to determine what's "normal" and base the speedlimit with a fair response time to avoid spikes from other nodes like with web browsing. At a certain point you can go full retard backoff algorithm style like what happens with TCP implementations but perhaps a naive implementation that just does a rolling bilinear average is Good Enough.

Wait a second, wasn't this plugin open source and therefore we could read how complicated the algorithm actually was?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Looks like it- http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=autospeed

edit: http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Auto_Speed

quote:

It works by selecting a number of other Azureus instances from the Distributed Database as ping targets. It then periodically pings these to obtain an average latency for your connection. In order to baseline these pings Azureus needs a period during which little network activity occurs. If this doesn't happen naturally within a period after startup it will temporarily force the upload limit to a very low value to obtain the baseline (it may repeat this at other times when the ping targets change)

Once a baseline ping time is available, auto-speed adjusts the upload speed based on the observed difference between the current ping time and the baseline.

There are many different types of connection with very different characteristics. Unfortunately auto-speed is currently not clever enough to optimise its behaviour for all scenarios automatically so you may need to adjust its parameters to maximise its effectiveness. To do this you need to change the 'Mode' to 'Advanced' in the options.

The three main parameters of interest are the increase/decrease amounts and the 'choking ping'. The first two affect how quickly auto-speed changes Azureus' upload setting in response to ping latency changes. The third is the latency that Azureus will consider as an absolute indicator of choking (although it also considers an additional factor based on the measured baseline ping time). By setting a rather low latency limit, you can make Azureus very responsive to network congestion.

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Auto_Speed_Beta

quote:

Algorithm details

The algorithm used DHT ping times to decided if it needs to adjust the current rates. Lower ping times responses indicate the network is not congested, high ping rates indicates that it is.

The application used three ping sources to monitor. If it determine one of the ping sources is significantly slower then the others it will replace them.

io_burn fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 16, 2012

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
That plugin adjusts the upload speed based on ping, but the download speed is based on the up/down ratio. Since sab doesn't upload anything, it's not very useful.

The plugin calculates a minimum ping, a max ping and then tracks an average ping time.
if the average is lower than the min - increase upload speed by a delta value
if the average is higher than the max - decrease upload speed by a delta value

downspeed = upspeed * updown ratio

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
2 Questions:

How do I have SABnzbd download to a separate partition than it is installed on?
How do I get SickBeard to start automatically when my computer boots?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

2 Questions:

How do I have SABnzbd download to a separate partition than it is installed on?
How do I get SickBeard to start automatically when my computer boots?
1)
Config->Folders
Edit whatever you like in Temporary Download Folder and Completed Download Folder

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

For 2 I just threw a shortcut to sickbeard in my startup folder, but there may be a more elegant way to do it (I think this may cause firefox to launch when I start my computer, or its the sab link maybe, not really sure it doesn't really bother me though)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
You can install SB as a service, but if it's running on a normally used PC then the benefits are not as great (you're going to log in to use the PC anyway, which negates the need for a pre-logon service that a server OS would benefit from).

sickbeard.com/install.html states what pixaal has already. Throw the link in Startup and uncheck "Launch Browser" in Config -> General -> Misc to prevent your browser from firing up along with SB.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

Is there a way to mass update locations of shows in Sickbeard? I moved to a new server, and the database points to \\oldserver\videos\tv shows\ and I need it to point to \\newserver\videos\tv shows\.

I know I could do a mass-delete and rescan everything, but that always takes forever.

Edit: and what do I need to install to be able to update from source again? All I did to migrate to the new server was install Python, install Cheetah, then copied my old Sickbeard dir to the new server and ran Sickbeard.py. I'm sure I need some version of Git to update from there, though.

For a mass update, go to Manage -> Mass Update. Check the Edit box on all the shows you want to update, then click Edit Selected at the bottom of the screen. In the new page that comes up, click the Edit button next to the path. Browse to the new path, hit Submit, and wait while it updates your shows.

gi-
Aug 18, 2004
CouchPotato v2 (beta) is out and it's super awesome. Screenshots are on their facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/CouchPotatoApp

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

gi- posted:

CouchPotato v2 (beta) is out and it's super awesome. Screenshots are on their facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/CouchPotatoApp

Hasn't it been out for several months now? Or did it get changed to a Beta tag in the past few days or something? I have been using CouchPotatoServer for quite some time now.

Edit: Oh, I see it has windows and whatnot binaries now. That's cool.

Diviance fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 18, 2012

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Did anyone ever notice significant improvements from upgrading W7 32 to W7 64 with things like Sickbeard, Couch Potato, XBMC, SAB etc ?

I've only got 2GB RAM in my HTPC at the moment, but the only time I think upgrading to 4GB and W7 64 is when I'm using it to browse the web (which isn't that often). It's something I'll do at some point, but having to reinstall everything from scratch again just feels like... something I don't really want to do.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I can't speak for the speed increase, but migrating those programs is pretty easy. SB and CP you just copy the folders over, and SAB you just copy the app data folder.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
What's the best service these days for avoiding all this DMCA takedown stuff going on?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

c0burn posted:

What's the best service these days for avoiding all this DMCA takedown stuff going on?

Astraweb hasn't failed me vs Supernews/Giganews for high profile stuff.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

Only concern I'd have would be getting the balance between ping frequency and throttling velocity while accounting for ping variance to a server outside your network. For example, here's a quick output of my ping on my 802.11n 5GHz network while basically nothing's going on:
Ping isn't throughput, it's latency. You're going to get some variance on wireless just because the packets are riding radio waves and bouncing around off of stuff. This is especially true if you live in an urban area with lots of radios interfering (or microwave ovens, or phones, etc.). Your ping on a wired connection should be a lot more consistent, although that average latency isn't so hot. Just because you have low latency doesn't necessarily mean your download speeds will vary, but they often go hand-in-hand. Run a series of speed tests on speedtest.net or similar to determine where to set your top speeds. Another good site to use is the The Berkeley Netalyzr which will tell you if you have something misconfigured.

Also, not that this answers you directly, being conservative on setting QoS top speed is a good thing. What you want to be careful of is reservations on the low end, if your router allows more sophisticated configuration. Those are generally hard-reserved and shave percentage off the top end of what's available for your downloads. QoS is the answer to shared bandwidth.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A torrent auto-speed plugin can use ping because it's controlling your upload speed, not your download speed. The torrents will use all of the upstream bandwidth, so you can't even send out page requests, that's why torrening will kill your connection.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EC posted:

I can't speak for the speed increase, but migrating those programs is pretty easy. SB and CP you just copy the folders over, and SAB you just copy the app data folder.

Yeah, I think if I do it I'll just be careful about the transition - make sure I don't lose any of my custom scripts, screen shot every setting page and write down all the ports and how everything talks to each other. Cheers

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

gi- posted:

It might look awesome but no matter what I try it refuses to show any of my films in the Manage tab. :colbert:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The pHo posted:

Yeah, I think if I do it I'll just be careful about the transition - make sure I don't lose any of my custom scripts, screen shot every setting page and write down all the ports and how everything talks to each other. Cheers

The only part that tripped me up was getting Sickbeard to recognize the new file path to my TV shows. Look back a page or so and someone posted the correct way to do it (by using the mass update function). I ended up rescanning everything, though, and it didn't take near as long as I thought it would.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That mass update function is about to save me a ton of hand editing, as I've just rearranged my drive layout. Legend!

gi-
Aug 18, 2004

ijyt posted:

It might look awesome but no matter what I try it refuses to show any of my films in the Manage tab. :colbert:

I assume you tried 'Full Library Refresh" and 'Quick Library Scan' on the Manage page, to the right of the search box (three dots on the button). It took a very long time for my movies to start to populate.

There are also settings for Manage / Movie Library Manager.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

gi- posted:

I assume you tried 'Full Library Refresh" and 'Quick Library Scan' on the Manage page, to the right of the search box (three dots on the button). It took a very long time for my movies to start to populate.

There are also settings for Manage / Movie Library Manager.

Yup, still isn't showing anything.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
Couch Potato is super anal about movie names. I started with a few making .nfos with the IMDB id in them and it showed up then, but it was screwed up in XBMC.

Just not worth it, I only use Couch Potato as a list to download movies basically.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

kalicki posted:

Couch Potato is super anal about movie names. I started with a few making .nfos with the IMDB id in them and it showed up then, but it was screwed up in XBMC.

Just not worth it, I only use Couch Potato as a list to download movies basically.

That has not been the case at all for me. It's been picking up everything I have even though it's a mix of translated and original titles, and even those written in non-latin scripts have been recognized so far. Do you not include the year in your folder names or something?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I've run into a bunch of stuff Couch Potato has no idea about. Stuff that IMDB has readily available, but isn't in the online db Couch Potato checks (I forget, but it comes up in the logs). Adding an .nfo with IMDB ID (fixes most things) just doesn't fix these.
And I have one thing CP won't create a folder for because of a "⅓" character in the title.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I'm having an annoying problem with sickbeard's XBMC integration. SB gets the show, drops it in the right folder, fetches the metadata, and says it's sent an update notification to XBMC. In XBMC, the show isn't updated and I have to rescan the folder to get it.

It's able to send the test popup message to XBMC and it shows up, but I'm really stumped here.

I thought it had something to do with having two XBMC profiles - Kids and Parents,
with a KidsTV/KidsMovies and TV/Movies folder - but even shows that are in the kid's folder don't get updated.

SickBeard is running on my NAS, and the HTPC is connecting via CIFS (basically no shows on it's local drive).

Edit: Nobody cares what I watch.

Harik fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 21, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Harik posted:

I'm having an annoying problem with sickbeard's XBMC integration. SB gets the show, drops it in the right folder, fetches the metadata, and says it's sent an update notification to XBMC. In XBMC, the show isn't updated and I have to rescan the folder to get it.

It's able to send the test popup message to XBMC and it shows up, but I'm really stumped here.

I thought it had something to do with having two XBMC profiles - Kids and Parents,
with a KidsTV/KidsMovies and TV/Movies folder - but even shows that are in the kid's folder don't get updated.

SickBeard is running on my NAS, and the HTPC is connecting via CIFS (basically no shows on it's local drive).

Edit: Nobody cares what I watch.

Config > Notifications > XBMC. Select the "full update if per-show update fails" option. Sometimes shows simply refuse to update for me unless the full update is run.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Also keep in mind if you use Sickbeard .nfo files, you can't change the poster or fanart unless you do a refresh in XBMC. This is why I disabled that feature and let XBMC scan the files in.

This might have been fixed, or changed.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

EC posted:

Config > Notifications > XBMC. Select the "full update if per-show update fails" option. Sometimes shows simply refuse to update for me unless the full update is run.

Didn't fix it, since the per-show doesn't "fail" according to XBMC. It just never finds the new files.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Harik posted:

Didn't fix it, since the per-show doesn't "fail" according to XBMC. It just never finds the new files.

Do you have the location the files are stored in as sources in XBMC?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Harik posted:

Do what kri kri said, then. There's a plugin for XBMC that will update the library every so often so you don't have to do it manually.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

Do what kri kri said, then. There's a plugin for XBMC that will update the library every so often so you don't have to do it manually.

I still use Sickbeard to send an update command, I just don't have it creating xbmc files like posters or .nfo files.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
If I want to share an AstraWeb account with 2 friends what are the restrictions? Can we only download one person at a time?

I think this is safe to post as it is pretty similar to the Amazon share.

e: in addition... my SABnzbd is showing 0gb free so unable to complete but 50+gb free for temp. Is that a current bug? Because it is still downloading...

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 21, 2012

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Red Robin Hood posted:

If I want to share an AstraWeb account with 2 friends what are the restrictions? Can we only download one person at a time?

I think this is safe to post as it is pretty similar to the Amazon share.

e: in addition... my SABnzbd is showing 0gb free so unable to complete but 50+gb free for temp. Is that a current bug? Because it is still downloading...

With the unlimited plans an account can only connect from 1 IP address at a time. It sounds like the metered plans don't have this restriction though.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

The_Franz posted:

With the unlimited plans an account can only connect from 1 IP address at a time. It sounds like the metered plans don't have this restriction though.

That's perfect! Thank you!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Thermopyle posted:

Do you have the location the files are stored in as sources in XBMC?

yes, sickbeard drops downloads in the /TV directory, and XBMC looks there. I'll try some suggestions, but constantly re-scanning 4tb of media is a non-starter.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Harik posted:

yes, sickbeard drops downloads in the /TV directory, and XBMC looks there. I'll try some suggestions, but constantly re-scanning 4tb of media is a non-starter.
This recently started happening to me as well after a Sickbeard update. Exact same symptoms as you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
Has anyone messed with the current "Sickbeard for comics" attempt Mylar ? It seems to have grown from the Omniverse idea earlier this year, but has made much more progress. Currently it seems to be able to process a comic pull list, track series and try to find all issues, but he's having some issues working on post-processing an existing library.

Of course, none of this is working for me, as I seem to have run into this issue whereby I add a series to the queue, and it just throws "There was an error" with nothing in the log.

Here are the screenshots from the Github project showing current status