Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I found "emergency genie bottle" pretty funny, and I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Crustashio posted:

I found "emergency genie bottle" pretty funny, and I don't know why.

That's cause it really is, cause only a genie will save you now after driving aaallll the way to you home town without even bothering to see what it meant. Then when the other lights come on you just slow down a bit right?

That relationship didn't last long.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
I've only heard it described as a gravy boat :confused:

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis
To be fair most men don't have any idea what those mean either. Why is it always "my wife hosed up the car"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

assfucker420 posted:

To be fair most men don't have any idea what those mean either.

The only time I've been in a car that just gave up the ghost on the highway was when my friend ignored his oil light for a few months and his engine seized with his dipstick dry as a bone. Most women I know might not know what the various lights mean, but at least they say, "Ugh, I guess I gotta go fix it," as opposed to ignoring the problem.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A friend had an oil burning Saturn that her mom bought for her. Her mom kept saying nobody was to ever open the hood except the dealer. Including her. "It's always rattled like that! :downs:" turned into "why won't it start? Oh yeah that light's been on for awhile"

Seized with 65k on it..

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
An old roommate ran her Saturn coupe for 2 years and many tens of thousands of miles without changing the oil. It sounded like one of those old Detroit Diesels that had been sitting for 30 years by the time she moved out, how it still ran was beyond my comprehension. She was under the impression that adding a quart was the same as changing the oil, apparently she'd added over 10 during that period of time :psyduck: The engine probably had so much blow-by and bearing damage that sludge was the only thing keeping it going.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

There should be a service called "My Friend Who's Good With Cars," where, for like $20 a month, a car-knowledgeable person will come by once a quarter and take 'er for a spin, perform a basic inspection, provide recommendations and note the mileage. They'll call you up and remind you about oil changes, and you can call them up and ask even the most retarded car-related question and receive an honest answer with no judgement.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Safety Dance posted:

There should be a service called "My Friend Who's Good With Cars," where, for like $20 a month, a car-knowledgeable person will come by once a quarter and take 'er for a spin, perform a basic inspection, provide recommendations and note the mileage. They'll call you up and remind you about oil changes, and you can call them up and ask even the most retarded car-related question and receive an honest answer with no judgement.
Several of my friends are on the "Buy Dave Pizza" installment plan.

I'm getting fat again.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Safety Dance posted:

gently caress that. People don't take car advice as it is. I had one friend ask me what a good SUV would be for her since she has a dog and wants to carry a surfboard + bag of soccer stuff. My immediate response was to check out older japanese SUVs like rav4, forester, pilot, etc. 2 hours later she starts sending my links to jeep compass and jeep patriot ads. Then a few days ago an ad for an X5.

Also, I'd like to add that I never changed the oil on my 98 civic for 80,000km. I just added whatever 4 stroke oil I could find, including lawnmower oil. The oil pressure light would start to blink and that was my indication for a top up. It was more an experiment in durability. In the end a snapped timing belt killed the car for me, but I sold it to someone for 100 bucks who was going to rebuild it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lamborghi...=item337766ea63

*~*~LAMBORGHINI~*~* combi boiler. gently caress it, at least it'll probably ignite properly.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
That's actually a legitimate company and the guy who founded the car company owned that company as well. :eng101:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Safety Dance posted:

My friends are all already on this service plan, maybe I should start charging a monthly fee...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Safety Dance posted:

The only time I've been in a car that just gave up the ghost on the highway was when my friend ignored his oil light for a few months and his engine seized with his dipstick dry as a bone. Most women I know might not know what the various lights mean, but at least they say, "Ugh, I guess I gotta go fix it," as opposed to ignoring the problem.
People who think they know what they're doing are usually worse than people who don't know what they're doing.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Safety Dance posted:

gently caress this poo poo forever because it's basically the only reason people ever get ahold of me on Facebook any more.

"Hey my car is doing X. What do I do?"
"Oh I recommend doing F, L and G. Check S while you're at it."
/ignores advice forever.

I recently had a friend completely ruin a late model Malibu by running with a blown lower intake manifold gasket for years. I told him what the problem was, my cost to fix it (half of his quoted shop labor price plus I'd let him use my parts discounts) and my availability. Nope. Imma just drop gallons worth of Stop Leak into it until magically gets better.

The other week my boss took me to lunch and I noticed her car cranking a touch slow. I recommend she have the battery tested/replaced. Nope. Cue 3 days later when I'm driving her to a parts store for a new battery and missing some meetings.

People treat cars like poo poo and it's eerily familiar to how less technically inclined family members treat their children/siblings/etc if they have any idea how a computer works. 8 million problems that were easily solved early on but at this point have festered into a cancerous poo poo demon that isn't worth the time, money or stress to help them fix.

My default answer to car/computer questions these days is basically "hosed if I know, call an expert. i'm just a nerd / shade tree mechanic that drinks to much".

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 23, 2012

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Terrible Robot posted:

My friends are all already on this service plan, maybe I should start charging a monthly fee...

I havent bought a carton of beer for MONTHS because of this service plan

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

No, I will not fix your car. :smug:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Maker Of Shoes posted:

gently caress this poo poo forever because it's basically the only reason people ever get ahold of me on Facebook any more.

"Hey my car is doing X. What do I do?"
"Oh I recommend doing F, L and G. Check S while you're at it."
/ignores advice forever.

I recently had a friend completely ruin a late model Malibu by running with a blown lower intake manifold gasket for years. I told him what the problem was, my cost to fix it (half of his quoted shop labor price plus I'd let him use my parts discounts) and my availability. Nope. Imma just drop gallons worth of Stop Leak into it until magically gets better.

The other week my boss took me to lunch and I noticed her car cranking a touch slow. I recommend she have the battery tested/replaced. Nope. Cue 3 days later when I'm driving her to a parts store for a new battery and missing some meetings.

People treat cars like poo poo and it's eerily familiar to how less technically inclined family members treat their children/siblings/etc if they have any idea how a computer works. 8 million problems that were easily solved early on but at this point have festered into a cancerous poo poo demon that isn't worth the time, money or stress to help them fix.

My default answer to car/computer questions these days is basically "hosed if I know, call an expert. i'm just a nerd / shade tree mechanic that drinks to much".

The worst is when you ride in other people's cars and notice obvious problems. A coworker's mazda 3 emits extremely loud, impossible to ignore clunks over every bump. I get annoyed when I can hear clunks/creaks in my 14 year old car, yet here is a 6 year old car with noises so loud you can hear them over the radio.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I recently had a conversation with a friend thinking about replacing her Jetta with something not so failure-prone:

"You should be looking at Toyotas, Nissans, maybe Subarus if you need AWD, Hondas although the more recent ones don't seem quite as good quality for the money."

"Well, ok, but there's this sebring down the street for sale...."

:stonk:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I see poo poo like that at our bike shop too, with a sad twist. A lot of people neglect their cars, because they're just transportation appliances. But we see a lot of customers with mopeds come into our shop, and almost all of them are in love with the mopeds. It's like their girlfriend and their favorite guitar rolled into one. They can't live without it, and refuse to get rid of the unreliable dangerous pieces of poo poo (as they almost universally are) for something simple and useful like a 50cc Japanese scooter. But they hate to put any money or effort into the mopeds to keep them running good. Nobody checks their tire pressure, nobody ever oils their chains. They're in love with it but they treat it like poo poo. What the hell?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I recently had a conversation with a friend thinking about replacing her Jetta with something not so failure-prone:

"You should be looking at Toyotas, Nissans, maybe Subarus if you need AWD, Hondas although the more recent ones don't seem quite as good quality for the money."

"Well, ok, but there's this sebring down the street for sale...."

:stonk:

What exactly is it that attracts people to Sebrings? One of my friends was looking for a good used car, and mentioned a 2001 in good shape. I told him what I thought about them, their usual issues (mainly the 41TE trans being a pile of poo poo), and that he could get much better car for the same price. He bought it anyway, and a year later the transmission ate itself. I'm sure he could hear the :smug: when I said "I told you so" on the phone. Then not a month later his brother-in-law asks me for car buying advice, and says "there's a Sebring just down the road..." :suicide:. At least I managed to talk him out of it. Now all three of them (including the wife) drive Passats :shepicide:. I...I just don't know why I bother trying anymore.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I always tell all my friends to talk to me before spending a lot of money on repairs, and recently changed brakes for a guy before he moved across the company. I did the work in his parents' driveway and mentioned that if they ever need something done or are going in to the dealer to let me know. Today I ran into his mom and found out she just spent $5200 getting an airbag replaced in her allroad.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Terrible Robot posted:

What exactly is it that attracts people to Sebrings?

A family member goes to estate sales here and there. For some reason, she runs across Sebrings really, really often. And keeps asking me if I'd help her fix one up.

They're usually pretty cheap - 1000-1500 for late 90s-early 00s - but one look under the hood of one was enough to tell me I wanted nothing to do with them.

I think I saw more Sebrings than anything else in the domestic section at Pick and Pull yesterday.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Terrible Robot posted:

An ex-room mate of mine had one. a '01 I want to say. Well, the trans poo poo its' self and would often rough shift in and out of gear. He tried (unsuccessfully thank god) to sell it for $2,000. Someone actually offered him $1,500 cash and he turned it down before I could tell him to take the money and run.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

8 million problems that were easily solved early on but at this point have festered into a cancerous poo poo demon that isn't worth the time, money or stress to help them fix.

Dude, it's called reactive maintenance not proactive, that's how most people do things. Hell the place I work bases their whole business around it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've been making pretty decent money recently doing side jobs for people with lovely cars who ignored all advise I and everyone else gave them, so I can't knock it too much.

Did a head and head gasket replacement on a friend of a friends cadavalier a while ago. Mutual friend had told him to get either an XJ cherokee or a forester, and that he'd help him fix it for free/parts cost, he ignored it, tried to buy like 3 different busted-rear end ZJ grand cherokees with horrible drivetrain issues, then ended up buying this stupid hacked up (fan wiring running on a fuse double overrated because it kept blowing, CEL on, exhaust in tatters and supported by hoseclamps and bits of random steel rod, rust holes, in general just a turd) 01 cavalier from the shadiest dealer in town for approximately 4-5 times its worth because the mutual friend was not answering his phone when he called to ask about it. The kicker? it sat for around 4 months because he wanted nothing to do with fixing it ("I told you so, why did you buy this piece of poo poo" didn't work either) and... they are still making payments on it :suicide: it cracked the head and/or blew the head gasket before the 7 day return period was up, they brought it back and instead of insisting on a full refund as they should have, they allowed themselves to be blindfolded and accepted a new thermostat and water pump. Yep, it went right back to being a POS a few weeks later when whatever magic in a can they pumped it full of leaked out.

Also just did a CV shaft, plugged a tire, and front rotors/pads on an Audi for another friend, but I can't really fault him for that one, because it's a fairly clean silver A4 Quattro Avant with a manual and a 1.8T, that he got for a decent price.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
My father in law drives a Sebring convertible. His wife drives a PT Cruiser. Somehow my partner escaped the terrible car disease (XJ and a Forester for us) although his brother wasn't so lucky.

Fortunately neither of them have had any problems with their cars... yet... because neither of us wants to drive 300 miles round trip to help them out.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I fully admit I mistreated my 99 Saturn because I really didn't care about it. In the last two years I owned the car I changed the oil exactly once, right before moving from NY to WA. In my defense, I didn't ignore safety stuff like brakes or tires I just knew the car was junkyard bound when I was finished with it so basic maintenance stuff got half assed. When the lifters started ticking I just tossed in a qt of whatever oil was laying around. drat thing just wouldn't die.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 23, 2012

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Terrible Robot posted:

Effective product placement, obviously.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Those ignorant of anything to do with cars seem to be attracted to them. A friend of mine just bought a 2011 Grand Caravan this past spring and had to take it in for warranty service. They gave him a 200 as a loaner and he was going on and on about what a great car it was and how fast it was, and how he could see buying one eventually. I tried breaking the news that its a dressed-up Sebring gently but apparently that wasn't enough to scare him off.

Of course, this is the same guy who thinks his mom's Buick Lacrosse is the pinnacle of automotive engineering, and who went on about how CVT transmissions would replace traditional slushbox autos and manuals by the end of the decade when he read an article about them in Popular Science in 2002...

Geoj fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 23, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Geoj posted:

Those ignorant of anything to do with cars seem to be attracted to them. A friend of mine just bought a 2011 Grand Caravan this past spring and had to take it in for warranty service. They gave him a 200 as a loaner and he was going on and on about what a great car it was and how fast it was, and how he could see buying one eventually. I tried breaking the news that its a dressed-up Sebring gently but apparently that wasn't enough to scare him off.

Of course, this is the same guy who thinks his mom's Buick Lacrosse is the pinnacle of automotive engineering, and who went on about how CVT transmissions would replace traditional slushbox autos and manuals by the end of the decade when he read an article about them in Popular Science in 2002...

Did I stumble into hondatech? What is with all this domestic hate? The Lacrosse assuming you mean the new one is a legitimately very good car that has sold very well and has been perfectly reliable. The 200 may not be the best car in the segment(that's why it's the cheapest) but it's perfectly adequate, reliable transportation and with the 3.6l V6 pretty fast.

I would buy a Sebring in an instant if it was the right price and had the 4 cyl with a manual. Even the 2.7l and the auto weren't too bad in the later years, friend of mine who's not bad with cars has had a couple of them, he keeps the tranny fluid fresh and uses synthetic oil only on the 2.7l engine and has never had a problem.

I honestly don't understand why anyone would even consider a Japanese car at all these days, other than a Prius or RX8 or something like that. American cars are just so much better in every way.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

American cars are just so much better in every way.

What American small-mid sized car is worth buying?

Or are you counting stuff like the Cruze and Focus as American?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Did I stumble into hondatech? What is with all this domestic hate? The Lacrosse assuming you mean the new one is a legitimately very good car that has sold very well and has been perfectly reliable. The 200 may not be the best car in the segment(that's why it's the cheapest) but it's perfectly adequate, reliable transportation and with the 3.6l V6 pretty fast.

I would buy a Sebring in an instant if it was the right price and had the 4 cyl with a manual. Even the 2.7l and the auto weren't too bad in the later years, friend of mine who's not bad with cars has had a couple of them, he keeps the tranny fluid fresh and uses synthetic oil only on the 2.7l engine and has never had a problem.

I honestly don't understand why anyone would even consider a Japanese car at all these days, other than a Prius or RX8 or something like that. American cars are just so much better in every way.

Well, um.. congrats on posting terrible car stuff in this thread, I guess.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Did you copy paste this from Autoblog? I mean, I don't think the current offerings from Chrysler-Dodge are literal dung, but Sebrings are poo poo, and the 200 is still one.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 23, 2012

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Throatwarbler posted:

And I got a probation for trolling?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Throatwarbler posted:

Ummmm.... wow. Gotta be a copy/paste from somewhere.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You had me wondering if that was serious or a troll, at least until that last sentence.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
If it threw in a BMW bashing it would be the perfect autoblog comment.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

This is why I have no problem with the fancy telematics systems that are showing up in luxury and electric cars. You mean somebody from the manufacturer can call me (or more likely, the iPhone app from the manufacturer can get a push message) and tell me I have a problem? Sign me the gently caress up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

kastein posted:

You had me wondering if that was serious or a troll, at least until that last sentence.

I stopped when he tried to say the 2.7 wasn't a huge piece of poo poo.