Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Not the first time I've managed to cut my finger while using a saw, but this is a new technique, for sure:

That'll teach me for using cheap crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ahahaha. Amazing.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Since it is getting closer to what passes for winter in California, I got volun-told to take my stations snowcat into the shop for it's yearly maintenance. So I had to put it on our really crappy trailer and drive it over. I've never towed anything in my life, but I figured how hard could it be?

About two miles from the shop, we hear a strange noise and then it feels like we got a flat. Pull over and see this:

Since we have no spare tire, had to call for a flatbed tow truck to take it the rest of the way to the shop. Took a look at the other tire on the trailer and it is completely bald and also about half flat. It was bald to the point that you couldn't see tread on the tire.

Turns out the shop had been recommending that we change tire sizes because they don't make that size anymore and are hella expensive. Guess we'll be doing that anyways now. I'm just glad this didn't happen on the freeway or when taking it up to our parking area on the mountain.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Hooray dads cursed prado strikes again...

Mum drove it yesterday, drove up into 5th, wouldnt come out.

Stripped the gearbox and half a thrust washer fell out- it managed to split the 5th gear thrust washer, dropped half of it into the front case and the other half jammed the 5th gear selector fork!

You can see where the gear was chewing on the bearing retainer for about 2km- no damage to the gear, and thats only about 1mm deep the wear on the retainer

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

At least they know the breaks work.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Tactical Bonnet posted:

At least they know the breaks work.

I'm really not sure if this was intentional, but :golfclap:.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
I would never have guessed there was a problem if it weren't for the dashboard display :downs:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 23, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Typically you're supposed to disconnect the power supply when working with the airbags just in case one decided to try to break you in half.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Years ago at the first autocross event I ever drove in, I remember watching a bunch of warmed-over fourthgen Camaros and Firebirds get axle hop like this under hard braking for the corner I was working. Made a hell of a racket, and I half expected the same thing to happen to them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Years ago at the first autocross event I ever drove in, I remember watching a bunch of warmed-over fourthgen Camaros and Firebirds get axle hop like this under hard braking for the corner I was working. Made a hell of a racket, and I half expected the same thing to happen to them.

First trackday I did was on a 2001 CBR600F4i (no slipper clutch) and I came off the main straight of Firebird east in the 120mph range hard on the front brakes and banging downshifts while fatigued as hell. Welp, compression locked up the rear tire and it started hopping on me. Fun times.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

InitialDave posted:

Not the first time I've managed to cut my finger while using a saw, but this is a new technique, for sure:

That'll teach me for using cheap crap.

God. drat. :psyduck:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The absolute best part is the lack of a hole for the middle 'bolt'.

Pope Ron Paul II
Feb 10, 2008
GodTube Ron Paul?

Javid posted:

The absolute best part is the lack of a hole for the middle 'bolt'.

Pretty sure it's there, it's just the handle still managing to cover up the hole.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Schrödinger's hole

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

PainterofCrap posted:

Get to use this in two threads.

Solution: Vise-Grips

The person that would go at this with vice grips I would assume had never done so much as an oil change.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Budget Monty posted:

The person that would go at this with vice grips I would assume had never done so much as an oil change.

For those that are wondering what the gently caress this is referring to, it's PainterofCrap's post of August 26. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=207#post406907429

Good replies are best posted a month later.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Budget Monty posted:

It's my only tool!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

For those that are wondering what the gently caress this is referring to, it's PainterofCrap's post of August 26. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=207#post406907429

Good replies are best posted a month later.

Since the last forum upgrade, the name of the quoted poster is a link back to the quoted post. :ssh:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:monocle: Holy poo poo.

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009
Not my pic but...

Want mayo with that?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I bet that's what the inside of the Frosty machine at Wendy's looks like.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
I'm curious. Will that oil/coolant emulsion eventually settle out if you leave it alone for long enough, or is it relatively stable?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Boat posted:

I'm curious. Will that oil/coolant emulsion eventually settle out if you leave it alone for long enough, or is it relatively stable?

Eventually, yes. On a long enough time scale...

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Boat posted:

Without knowing the complete makeup of both it's hard to say, but it's a moot point as the oil is at the very least acidified beyond use from water contamination.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

EightBit posted:

Without knowing the complete makeup of both it's hard to say, but it's a moot point as the oil is at the very least acidified beyond use from water contamination.

Oh, I'm well aware that poo poo's irreparably hosed, it was more of an academic question.

Sponge! posted:

Eventually, yes. On a long enough time scale...

Yeah, I guessed so, but it was possible there was some component of the oil/coolant/both that when combined would act as a good emulsifier that I didn't know about.

So...what do you do for that? Replace head gasket/point of failure and then just cycle full coolant flushes and oil changes through it back to back to back for a millennium? (With plain water/cheapest straight-weight oil imaginable I'd wager...)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Disassemble and hot tank it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Boat posted:

So...what do you do for that? Replace head gasket/point of failure and then just cycle full coolant flushes and oil changes through it back to back to back for a millennium? (With plain water/cheapest straight-weight oil imaginable I'd wager...)

That poo poo was probably the icing on the zero-maintenance cake. If you're attached to the engine, do a full rebuild (I'd wager that the bearings are hosed). Otherwise get a junkyard engine or a reman.

Melting Eggs
Jul 17, 2006

Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?
What were they thinking? :iiam:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

nattrass posted:

Not my pic but...

Want mayo with that?

KA24E with a broken chain tensioner?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Melting Eggs posted:

What were they thinking? :iiam:

"If most of them make it through the warranty period, we'll come out ahead!"

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Engines running on frosties?
Feast your eyes on this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qi1vb4RF1o

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

iv46vi posted:

Feast your eyes on this

That made me nauseous just remembering that smell :barf:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iv46vi posted:

Feast your eyes on this

:( It keeps overheating.

:downs: Just keep topping it off with water, we'll fix it in a few weeks.

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

KA24E with a broken chain tensioner?

Yeah some sort of Nissan, early s13 type thing?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

iv46vi posted:

Feast your eyes on this

Why is the guy doing the disassembly wearing flip-flops? :wtc:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Geoj posted:

Why is the guy doing the disassembly wearing flip-flops? :wtc:

I dropped a SBC piston/conrod on my bare foot because I'm a loving moron. Actually I just dropped it and tried to break its fall with my foot. Only a minor crush wound in the top of my foot that closed up about 36 hrs later, and the scar looks exactly the same as the wound did before the blood started to pour (the scar is a weird dark purple).

Edit: VVV Yup. Not so much as a nick in it or the floor (I was in the kitchen over a tile floor, getting ready to box up the pistons for storage).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 29, 2012

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Did you at least save the piston?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
You did the right thing.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

What an odd piston design, what is this out of?