Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Collateral Damage posted:

You just need to come to terms with its wonky looks.

I did notice in the ad, none of the pics showed a clear view of the gigantic gaping cave where the tank should be. It's handy, I am certain, but IRL it looks completely oddball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A lot of modern BMWs (and some other bikes too) have the fuel tank under the seat and a storage compartment where the fuel tank would normally be. I think there's supposed to be a lid on top of that gaping hole though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It makes people double take when I take my airbox off.

"Where's the gas?"

It's in the frame.

"That's a weird bike."

I know.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

n8r posted:

If you want to do two up you should be looking at sport touring bikes. My 5th gen 98-02 VFR was really quite good two up.

I can second that emotion, having also taken pillions on a couple of occasions on those VFRs. I mean I still hate pillions, but it wasn't too painful all things considered.

Pissingintowind posted:

About Me:

not interested in wheelies, weaving in and out of traffic, or being a douchebag with massively loud fartcans.

:frogout: :arghfist:

But ignoring that, does south bay mean you have to take the highway? If not, could you not just pick up an old steel-framed touring bike and a set of panniers? 12 miles should be under an hour if the route isn't all killer hills and you get up to two hours of free exercise thrown in. Much cheaper and also a bit safer than motorcycling at last report.

If not, take the MSF and consider a CBR250 or recent Ninja 250. Comfy, easy to live with, capable of highway speeds (well, rush hour highway speeds), fuel efficient and new/unabused enough for you not to end up in the questions thread with MY BIKE HAS A RANDOM ELECTRICAL PROBLEM AND WON'T START HELP.

Cruisers aren't a particularly good choice IMO because they make zero ergonomic sense and (weird 125 mini cruisers aside) are usually unreasonably heavy to boot. They aren't designed for riding, they're designed solely to satisfy a need for retro-pastiche aesthetics. They're sort of like a bike version of the last Ford Thunderbird, only imagine without any of the practical utility of the T-bird.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Which Japanese I-4 literbike has the best engine for a mixture of city and suburb riding, with occasional rural outings? The goal is to turn said literbike naked and pop a dirtbike bar on. I know the 636 has it sold for the 600-class, but I'm not sure about the literbike class.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Legit liter bike- no idea they all seem excessive for the purpose to me. 1000cc and vicinity, maybe FZ1. I am interpreting that you're after a more relaxed four here.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The FZ1 isn't bad, but the looks of both gens aren't for me. I'm looking for a bike that will knee me in the balls with torque while looking all streetfightery-like, and I like the I-4 character and stiff suspension. My 636, being high-sprung, is fun in its own way, but I'm sure a literbike is more distributive of its power over the RPM range.

Take in mind I never rode a literbike before. :v:

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 20, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I had to look it up to make sure i'm not on crack- The gen 1 hadn't even crossed my mind. The gen 2 has an aluminum cast frame.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Okay, so what's the difference between a literbike and a 1000cc bike?

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
Guys, the proper term is a farvabike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've always used liter bike in reference to homologated 1000cc class super/sport type things. Your R1s and GSX-R 1000s.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Met the guy with the Boulevard, took it for a 30 minute ride. I have to say It's way more bike than I was expecting. After being all blustery about how I don't need a "beginner" cruiser, I'm not sure I could handle a bigger bike. It had plenty of power and I never got past 4th except for a short highway stint and I ran out of room for my exit before I ran out of top end.

It also comes with way more extra's than he posted in the Ad. 2 full sets of full riding gear including helmets, a large rear case with a back rest, Wind screen, Sissy Bar, 2 sets of panniers (hard and soft bags) a fork mounted tool-roll/bag and the thing is in absolute mint condition.

I'd never seen one in person and I've never really ridden a cruiser. The ride was extremely comfy and after 30 minutes of tooling around my back actually hurt less than when I got on it (back was sore from work and riding the DRZ over didn't help). I told him I'd need to either get all of the accessories + $1k for my bike with both wheelsets and all the original parts to match or $500 and I would keep one of the wheelsets.

We both agree'd to sleep on it and I'll call him back tomorrow to see if he wants to pay or has a counter offer. I don't want to take any less than $800 and all the accessories for the whole shebang.

Just as important my wife liked it. She is really picky about bikes and hasn't liked any of the ones I've bought since we got together. She loved the sound and if I'd brought her helmet I'm not sure I could have kept her off of it. That was surprising because I pissed her off before we left to look at it and she was really negative about going with me. Once she saw it and heard it that all disappeared.

Question; Like I said I've never really ridden a cruiser. At low speeds it really feels like the bike steers rather than counter steers, but I know I was counter-steering. I got it up to speed and it behaved like bikes I'm used to but at low speeds it felt like I was learning to ride all over again. Is that pretty normal with cruisers?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Sounds like the price is right after all with all that poo poo on it and it sounds like your wife is sold on it. Enjoy you're new C50 dude. You could handle a bigger bike than that, but if it's all you need, has all you want, and your wife likes it then why pass and hope for a trade on something bigger.

RE: Low speed turning. Yes, you have to bust rear end to counter steer a cruiser at low speeds. The handle bars turn so much to compensate for your riding position and lower center of gravity. Just give in and point the bike where you want it to go and so long as you don't nub lean in the opposite direction it will work out. You really only need to counter steer at higher speeds if you don't want scrape up your floor boards. If you're OK with scraping the boards you don't really have to worry about it then either.

Saga posted:

They aren't designed for riding, they're designed solely to satisfy a need for retro-pastiche aesthetics. They're sort of like a bike version of the last Ford Thunderbird, only imagine without any of the practical utility of the T-bird.

This is said about as well as somebody describing a sport they know nothing about. There's more to it than kicking a ball back and forth despite what it looks like at a casual glance.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 20, 2012

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

the walkin dude posted:

The FZ1 isn't bad, but the looks of both gens aren't for me. I'm looking for a bike that will knee me in the balls with torque while looking all streetfightery-like, and I like the I-4 character and stiff suspension. My 636, being high-sprung, is fun in its own way, but I'm sure a literbike is more distributive of its power over the RPM range.

Take in mind I never rode a literbike before. :v:

If you want a lot of torque you should be looking at literbike twins.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
It's tough to find a good liter twin. The nice ones are not worth leaving out at night in the city.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Halo_4am posted:

This is said about as well as somebody describing a sport they know nothing about. There's more to it than kicking a ball back and forth despite what it looks like at a casual glance.

I've had the misfortune to ride a number of cruisers over the years. The sole handling criterion used appears to be "will we be sued", and in the case of customs "how often will we be sued". Their raison d'etre is reproducing a look, most of the elements of which were dictated by the limitations of knowledge and technology sometime in the first half of the 20th century. One of the results of this is that they invariably have chassis and handling characteristics which are distinctly sub-optimal for new riders.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Pissinginthewind, if you really don't care about riding a bike for thrills and just want maximum commuting function, look at scooters. Probably in the 250cc range if you need highway capacity. More storage, better gas mileage, possibly cheaper, and you don't even have to worry about shifting. Plus it's San Fran so you don't have to worry about the usual scooter stigma. Avoid anything possibly Chinese.

the walkin dude posted:

You want a Speed Triple. Don't argue, you do. Go ride one and then buy it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Saga posted:

One of the results of this is that they invariably have chassis and handling characteristics which are distinctly sub-optimal for new riders.

"stop liking what I don't like"

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. This is as dense as the Harley guy who sits on a standard and says it's unrideable because it doesn't have highway pegs.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

the walkin dude posted:

It's tough to find a good liter twin. The nice ones are not worth leaving out at night in the city.

Honda Superhawk / Suzuki SV1000 / Aprilia anything w/ a rotax motor. None of these are particularly popular bikes. No idea which ones get stolen more.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Saga posted:

Mad about cruisers

Halo_4am posted:

clutchpuck posted:

This is as dense as the Harley guy who sits on a standard and says it's unrideable because it doesn't have highway pegs.

If you keep going on this we'll be able to make a coffee table book of quotes describing how ridiculous you're being. They don't handle the same as sport bikes that's true. To say they're worthless and meant only for design is nuts outside OCC style show bikes.

They're fine for new and experienced riders alike. They have very different seating and handling, and some people are actually more comfortable with it and handle them better.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If all you Harley guys would just go buy an SV650 we wouldn't have these arguments :colbert:

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Hey man, I can't help that none of these bikes are worth a drat because they don't have screamin eagle exhaust, and they waste space and weight with suspension and front brakes.

The manufacturers only concern when designing them was how much can they get away with before they get sued. Not one gently caress was given for function or comfort, and I won't be listening to anything to the contrary because I know these things.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Snowdens Secret posted:

You want a Speed Triple. Don't argue, you do. Go ride one and then buy it.

Yes, yes Iyou do.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

Honda Superhawk / Suzuki SV1000 / Aprilia anything w/ a rotax motor. None of these are particularly popular bikes. No idea which ones get stolen more.

Also Suzuki TLs if you can find one not in a tree. (Oh and Rotax made the motor for the RS1255SP and RS250 Nero which, while fine bikes, might not be quite the relaxed ride he was looking for...)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

If all you Harley guys would just go buy an SV650 we wouldn't have these arguments :colbert:

I like to do corners so I'll, uhh, hang on to the Buell.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'm glad to CA is still holding to their standards when it comes to cruisers. They're not for everyone, but neither are sport bikes. It all depends on the rider, any bike can be a mootercycle in the wrong hands.

Edit: Looks like the guy flaked, won't answer my calls and didn't return my texts so I guess I'll keep looking!

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 20, 2012

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

the walkin dude posted:

Which Japanese I-4 literbike has the best engine for a mixture of city and suburb riding, with occasional rural outings? The goal is to turn said literbike naked and pop a dirtbike bar on. I know the 636 has it sold for the 600-class, but I'm not sure about the literbike class.

I don't think it really counts as a literbike (or does it?), but what about a Bandit 1200/1250?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I don't think it really counts as a literbike (or does it?), but what about a Bandit 1200/1250?

I owned a 1250S for a couple of years. They're torque monsters but are really, really (really, really) heavy. I don't think they fit the spirit here.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

n8r posted:

The Superhawk / RC51 / TL1000 / SV1000 haven't been sold in the States for a while and didn't sell well when they were sold, so finding one in decent shape for a decent price will be tricky. An Aprilia or Ducati would probably be easier but then you've got Italian reliability with Italian dealer coverage, and if those don't bother you then you probably already own a Multistrada anyway. A Buell 1200 is always an option, but again, limited late-model selection, questionable dealer support.

The right answer is a Speed Triple though.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Tuonos are very wheelie happy, love mine! Expect car-like MPG though.

although you're right about not leaving it out in the street in a major city, especially a factory model :\

If you're looking for an I4 the Kawasaki older Z1000s come to mind.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
This is very close to where I live:

http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/3255332073.html

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Wow, I just saw a bike almost identical to that one up here in the Antelope Valley. Weird.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Saw the ICON video that was released recently and it's convinced me to get a dual regardless. I'm going to start hunting for a DRZ400s or KLR, can anyone throw out similar bikes I should keep an eye out for?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

the walkin dude posted:

1990s Fireblades are probably the most commonly streetfightered litrebikes over here.
Here's my buddys one although its very far from just just a set of renthals slapped on it, he's more informed on the whole topic, he might chime in here.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
That Fireblade looks nasty and is definitely my style. The early-gen Z1000 doesn't really do it for me (the body claddings and the frame ruin it for me, even though the 636 and Z1k share tails). I like distinctive, clean frames and tails perched upon face-rippling engines. When I sold my last 636 I was feeling that it was too much power for the street. Then I bought another one, and re-geared it for street riding and it's awesome. Probably likewise for a literbike.

I'm looking for awesome bikes with a grudgy, "cheap" look. The Tuono, S3, etc all "look" expensive and would be a massive slug to my nuts if they were stolen off my street with their smaller population compared to the dime-a-dozen literbikes out there.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is another friends z1000, its a bit busy for my taste but its a nice bike. Has a ridiculous amount of money gone into it, loads of zx9 engine internals, 636 front end, quickshifter and tons of other poo poo

edit: i think thess are newer pics, front end and swingarm are different

echomadman fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 23, 2012

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I bet that bike's a real hoot to ride. The green is a bit much - is there a way to take off the triangular part under the seat? I think that's the most obnoxious part of the Z1k and would do a lot for aesthetics with it taken off.

houdini13
Feb 4, 2012

the walkin dude posted:

That Fireblade looks nasty and is definitely my style. The early-gen Z1000 doesn't really do it for me (the body claddings and the frame ruin it for me, even though the 636 and Z1k share tails). I like distinctive, clean frames and tails perched upon face-rippling engines. When I sold my last 636 I was feeling that it was too much power for the street. Then I bought another one, and re-geared it for street riding and it's awesome. Probably likewise for a literbike.

I'm looking for awesome bikes with a grudgy, "cheap" look. The Tuono, S3, etc all "look" expensive and would be a massive slug to my nuts if they were stolen off my street with their smaller population compared to the dime-a-dozen literbikes out there.

yup that's my blade

a 96-99 fireblade would be the cheapest option easy to upgrade forks and stuff AFAIK the cbr 929 and 954 front ends bolt right up.
also if you feel extra mental you can shoe horn a carbed blackbird engine in there with a little fabrication
lots of guys over using the gsxr-1000 k2-k4 brilliant engine and suspension from the get go
that zed is hella fun too revs its nuts off and the shock and front end transformed it
but its all down to you and your budget

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
So it feels like my VFR is slowly falling apart and it's getting to be a pain wondering what else will need replacing next. I'm about to rebuild my clutch master cylinder after it started leaking which makes me think I should rebuild my front brake master cylinder. And then I might as well rebuild my calipers as well. And then new rear tire, new front brakepads, Factory Pro Shift kit, Clutch Plates. And then something else really arbitrary will need replacing such as the ignition.

So basically I'm semi-in the market for a new bike. I just can't seem to make up my mind as to what I will actually love riding as much as the VFR. I love having that power on tap and although there's not the ridiculous top end of an i4 or the bottom end fury of a v-twin, the V4 has not let me down. The slightly more upright seating position is perfect and just overall the bike is very confident feeling and it rewards very smooth riding. The bike just feels a bit heavy at low speeds but it's manageable. I don't know if I'm quite looking for a hardcore super sport that will have my body in knots at the end of every ride and for some odd reason, I am really attracted to the RC-51 but only for absolutely no good reasons.

So what would be a decent replacement? I've been thinking about the Speed Triple or even an Aprilia Futura that's for sale locally...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

EvilCrayon posted:

So it feels like my VFR is slowly falling apart and it's getting to be a pain wondering what else will need replacing next. I'm about to rebuild my clutch master cylinder after it started leaking which makes me think I should rebuild my front brake master cylinder. And then I might as well rebuild my calipers as well. And then new rear tire, new front brakepads, Factory Pro Shift kit, Clutch Plates. And then something else really arbitrary will need replacing such as the ignition.

So basically I'm semi-in the market for a new bike. I just can't seem to make up my mind as to what I will actually love riding as much as the VFR. I love having that power on tap and although there's not the ridiculous top end of an i4 or the bottom end fury of a v-twin, the V4 has not let me down. The slightly more upright seating position is perfect and just overall the bike is very confident feeling and it rewards very smooth riding. The bike just feels a bit heavy at low speeds but it's manageable. I don't know if I'm quite looking for a hardcore super sport that will have my body in knots at the end of every ride and for some odd reason, I am really attracted to the RC-51 but only for absolutely no good reasons.

So what would be a decent replacement? I've been thinking about the Speed Triple or even an Aprilia Futura that's for sale locally...

The answer is always speed triple.