Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Wyzt posted:

Well its no longer at sonar, so until they announce the new venue dont really know, but every year before its been Indoor on thursday, then friday, saturday, sunday its one indoor stage, 2 outdoor stages.
The facebook post says "Thursday will be inside-only", which seems to imply that it'll probably roughly follow that same pattern. Really there's no way they could avoid having it partially outside without severely constricting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Holy gently caress MDF.

16 and Tombs are doing a tour this fall and there's a Pittsburgh date. So loving amped for that show

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
MDF is one of the few events that 'merica gets that I feel truly jealous of! That lineup looks absolutely stellar so far.

One year I might attempt to go...

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Speaking of shows has anyone seen or is anyone going to see the Korpiklaani/Moonsorrow/Tyr show? I'm going to see the show at the Palladium in Worcester this weekend. I'm just wondering how its gonna be.

I saw them in Denver. It was the first folk metal show I saw that didn't include Alestorm, so it was the best folk metal concert I've ever seen by 5000000%.

I'm a bit biased since I've liked all the bands involved since I first got into metal. I still kick myself for not being in country for the first Paganfest back in 2007.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So then. I think I'm one of the few people that still likes the stuff Therion is putting out, but a few days ago this landed on their website:

quote:

Today I have some very important announcements to make.

I normally don't reveal the future road map of Therion. Mostly because there usually isn't any, we just do things. This time, however, there are long-term plans.

This is the short version:

• We are working on a metal rock opera. It will take a couple of years to realize. Because of that there won't be a regular Therion album for quite a few years. 5 years? 10? Who knows…

• I am, (with the help of the Band), making an art project to celebrate the 25-year anniversary of the Band. Releasing a CD is a part of the project and it will initially only be available for purchase from the Band (at live concerts and via the Therion Store) in the form of a special edition. Distribution and licensing will follow of the regular editions.

• We won't be doing any regular touring for many years.

• There will be a meet and greet with me (and any other members that want to come along) at all European shows. When possible, I will be hanging at the merchandise booth for several hours every day.

For you who want more details, here's the longer version:

Ten years ago or something I started to work on an opera, but I never managed to finish it. I wrote most of the highlights (the hit parts), but I never managed to write the bridges between them, the "boring" parts needed to glue it all together and just serve as a background for the singers to sing and act the play. Some years ago it suddenly struck my mind; "why not just do what you do best? Re-arrange the opera stuff you've written and do it as opera metal instead." I already borrowed parts from the opera for Blood of Kingu earlier, so why not go all the way and make the worlds first REAL rock opera. What is otherwise referred to with that expression is rather some sort of rock musical, let's do a rock/metal opera with only opera singing, with a synopsis, and perform it like that (with pre-recorded orchestra if needed for financial reasons).

However, completing this rather gigantic project that involved writing music, synopsis/lyrics and designing scenery, clothing etc., will be taking quite some time. Years probably. I don't want to work under pressure, things should grow naturally.

Meanwhile, to entertain the fans and to do something I wanted to do for several years, there will be an art project in the spirit of celebrating our 25-year anniversary. Fact is this art project was already started in secret some time ago. It will be introduced right before the tour or on the day of the first show.

The art project is mainly focused around music, but it also contains visual art and certain acts of art. As for the music, it will be released on a CD that will initially only be sold directly from the Band. It will be available at the concerts and put into retail later. For those of you not being able to attend the shows, the Therion Store will offer it.

Flowers of evil tour

The concept of this tour is for it to be a bit of everything:

- Presenting the new project with a few tracks.

- Doing several massive songs like Land of Canaan, Via Nocturna etc. Many of these songs don't make sense without a keyboard player, so as this time we have one with us, it's a great opportunity to have a special focus on those type of tracks.

- Playing some never before played old songs. A new Therion concert should never be predictable.

- Doing a bunch of Therion all time classics of course!

This will be the last regular tour we do in a while, as we will be working on the rock (metal) opera and we will only do performances related to the art project (if there's interest for it), the rock (metal) opera when it is ready, and maybe some acoustic shows, we have been talking about that for a while. We'll of course play some festivals from time to time where we do regular (but much shorter) sets, but as there won't be any new regular album, there won't be any regular tours. Not until we have finished the rock (metal) opera, performed it live as much as we can, taken a break and then put together a regular album again. That will take a couple of years for sure. So we are closing an era and opening a new period that will be quite different.

Also, to celebrate the 25-year anniversary I would really like to meet properly with you guys who made it possible to get this far. I am normally quite shy and have tons of stuff do to on the laptop and rather hide in the tour bus or backstage most of the time (except in Latin America where we always have a tight schedule). Not this time around. I will be trying to hang at the merch booth as much as possible. So mostly there will be no organized 1-hour lined up meet and greet/signing session. I’d rather hang there for several hours every day, so that everyone who wants to can get a personally dedicated CD, a photo and a chat without any stress. Ever wanted to ask something, complain about something, give congratulations for something or just drink a beer with someone who made music that meant something to you? There will be time for all that on this tour.

Les Fleurs du Mal CD

The CD has 15 tracks, but the edition sold at the concerts will have a bonus track and you will get a small poster with it. My aim is to sign and personally dedicate every single one of them at the shows.

The CD itself is fully financed by me. Nuclear Blast thought it was a bit too spectacular and we have totally different visions about how we should work on such a project. I've had a fantastic relationship with that wonderful label over the years. I've had total artistic freedom and much patience from them in a way that most other artists at our level only could dream of at many labels. So rather than having disagreements and make compromises, I suggested I release it by myself instead and they generously gave me their blessings for it. So our relation has never been better than now.

Financing a full Therion audio production mixing at ToyTown with the fantastic Stefan Glaumann, paying for orchestra and the Band members and many, many other things isn't cheap. To be more precise, it cost 75.000 euro. On top of that I also carried costs for video clips, photo session and the costs for creating the art and stuff for the CD. I don't have that kind of cash lying around in a drawer at home, so I had to go to the Bank and take a loan. I have always bragged about how I never compromise and am ready to risk everything with each release. It's easier to say that when you have a record label being a bank for you. This time I had to put my money where my mouth is. So if you buy the CD, you don't just buy a record with music, you buy a share of an idea, the idea and concept of art where the artist really risks everything to be able to bring out what he wants. Some of you will like the CD, some maybe not. But if you feel that I've done something worth raising a toast to over the years, there will be no better way of showing your appreciation than buying this CD. It will be sold at 15 euros and I hope the majority of those going to the shows will walk home with it after the shows.

I've been called risky and more crazy than usual with my ideas for this art project, by some of those very few who have been initiated into the mysteries of it. Even within the Band there has been quite some strong feelings about it. And clearly the record label didn't think they had a smash hit in their hands. This pretty much reminds me about the feeling when Theli was recorded. I recall the record label saying: "Do you really think we can sell this? What will your fans say?". But they didn't have much other choice than releasing it and hope for the best. They had just invested more money in the sound production than with any other Band in the history of the label - on a Band that didn't sell many records. But there were people at the label who really liked it too and carefully believed in it. Like the boss Marcus Steiger. But in the Band the atmosphere was really bad. The bass player Lars hated it to the core. "loving opera poo poo!!". The guitarist Jonas didn't like it either, it was "too much classical stuff and opera, should have been just some small elements of it as a spice". Drummer Piotr kind of liked it, but thought it as kind of odd and didn't have too much hope for it (just like myself, who thought it would flop too). But it turned out to be the album that made Therion a big band.

This time at least half of the Band thinks it's great stuff and believe in it. But now I'm risking my own money and not the record labels. When I took the decision of borrowing money and release it myself, I was officially declared out of order in the head by some people familiar with the matter. Well, we will see about that. When a fan buy a CD directly from a band it counts as if they bought 10 CD's at the store released via a record label. With loyal fans buying many CD's at the concerts, a big part of the production costs will be recovered.

Snowy will work on his own stuff meanwhile

Out of all session vocalists that Therion has worked with over the years, no one has come as close to the band as Snowy, who has been a vital part of our records and live shows for the last number of years. Now when Therion is going into another phase and Snowy did not feel the same enthusiasm as we do for making this art project and rock opera, he has decided to work with his own projects instead. He did a smaller contribution to "Les Fleurs du Mal" which sounds awesome and we're happy for that, but if he don't feel this is what he is supposed to do, then we think his decision is the right thing and he has our full support. We are sure he will create some really amazing stuff with his own project!

However, we would like to stress the fact that there are no doors shut. When we are done with our projects in a number of years and call to arms for the next regular album, we will see where things stand and what Snowy is up to at the moment. If he's available and we feel inspired together, he is more than welcome to continue where we left. If not, we feel we had a great round off with him through our long co-operation with the 25 year Anniversary tour we did in Latin America earlier this year and hope he will be successful with his own projects.

Here is a comment from Snowy him self on the matter as well:

"What can I say, I'm truly grateful for the years I had with Therion where I've had the pleasure of touring the four corners of the world as a singer and frontman and meeting and making tons of new fans and friends for life, but over the last few years the urge to move on and do my own thing has become increasingly stronger and so far in my life I've always followed my heart and what makes me happy and I see no reason why I should stop now."

Christofer Johnsson, September 2012

So it looks like they're on indefinite hiatus. I had thought they were coming out with a new studio album this month. And it looks like Snowy Shaw isn't in the band anymore :smith:

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
"We're going to go into hiding for 5-10 years to create a project, and then that project will only be made available directly from us because we can't get anyone to sign onto it knowing that it's bound to fall into development hell somewhere along the line. So, you know, get your tickets ready for whenever this thing happens that probably never will!"

T-Bozz Factor
Apr 28, 2003
i was already all in on MDF next year for Manilla Road and Pagan Altar, but then they go and add Bolt Thrower? gently caress yeah.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

T-Bozz Factor posted:

Manilla Road and Pagan Altar

oh poo poo

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

To recap:

Updated list of confirmed bands for MDF XI:

!T.O.O.H.! (Czech Republic)
ABIGAIL (Japan)
AHUMADO GRANUJO (Czech Republic)
AMBASSADOR GUN
ANHEDONIST
ANTAEUS (France)
AOSOTH (France)
ASTHMA CASTLE
BENEDICTION (UK)
BOLT THROWER (UK)
BROKEN HOPE
CARCASS (UK)
CARPATHIAN FOREST (Norway)
CONVULSE (Finland)
CRUCIAMENTUM (UK)
EXODUS
GLORIOR BELLI (France)
GRIDE (Czech Republic)
IHSAHN (Norway)
INGROWING (Czech Republic)
INIQUITY (Denmark)
INTEGRITY
KOMMANDANT
LOSS
MANILLA ROAD
MIDNIGHT
MORGION
PAGAN ALTAR (UK)
PELICAN
PENTAGRAM
PIG DESTROYER
REPULSION
REVENGE (Canada)
RIGHTEOUS PIGS
SLEEP
SPEEDWOLF
VENOM (UK)
VINTERLAND (Sweden)
WEEDEATER

Also, has anyone been listening to Mgła? Their latest album may be the best black metal record released this year. Traditional stuff, but so well executed. I didn't think I'd ever describe a BM drummer as "laid back in the cut," but this guy drives the tracks without ever becoming frenetic or off-beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcqC4jtrR9Y

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Century Media is suing 7000 fans.

http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/news/international-news/202142/record-label-goes-berserk-targets-7000-fans-in-mammoth-lawsuits.htm

quote:

Antiquiet reports that American metal label Century Media have filed a lawsuit in a New Jersey court implicating 7,000 individuals who illegally shared albums by heavy rock acts Lacuna Coil and Iced Earth online via download client BitTorrent.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Good thing I lost interest in Iced Earth years ago

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
God, out of all the bands to lead to you being in court, those are two of the most mediocre. I think if I were one of the 7000, I would be particularly gutted to have to pay thousands of dollars of compensation in the name of Lacuna Coil and Iced Earth.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Monkeytime posted:

Also, has anyone been listening to Mgła? Their latest album may be the best black metal record released this year. Traditional stuff, but so well executed. I didn't think I'd ever describe a BM drummer as "laid back in the cut," but this guy drives the tracks without ever becoming frenetic or off-beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcqC4jtrR9Y

This owns, thanks for posting it. Also "mgła" means "fog" which is black metal as heck.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Also "mgła" means "fog" which is black metal as heck.

So does Taake :black101: :eng101:

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Taake is mist, if I recall correctly. The difference is about 800 metres of visibility.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I know I've seen it somewhere that while Dimmu Borgir translates to "Dark Castles" or "Dark Cities", Dimmu can also mean fog. :black101:

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

gently caress I never should have moved out of Baltimore :(

BUT! Big Business is playing a bar down the street tomorrow for $10, it will own.

Also Mgla kicks rear end, I had Groza on yesterday. The Poles do not gently caress around with their BM.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Monkeytime posted:

Updated list of confirmed bands for MDF XI:

BOLT THROWER (UK)
CARCASS (UK)
CARPATHIAN FOREST (Norway)
SLEEP
VENOM (UK)

Yeah, this is all I really needed to see to be sold on MDF XI. All in one weekend? Not sure that my metal soul can handle such a dose.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

BjornOfBorg posted:

Taake is mist, if I recall correctly. The difference is about 800 metres of visibility.

The Norsk Ordbok I have gives the definition of tåke as "air with tiny droplets of water that provides poor visibility". So, that could really be either fog OR mist. And yeah, my Norsk-Engelsk dictionary has "tåke" for both fog and mist.

Also my Polski Słownik has the definition of "mgła" as "zjawisko atmosferyczne" which means "an atmospheric phenomenon", haaa. Very specific. So maybe mgła means fog too??

Edit-- drat mobile awful app messing up my international characters.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I know I've seen it somewhere that while Dimmu Borgir translates to "Dark Castles" or "Dark Cities", Dimmu can also mean fog. :black101:

"Dimmur" is an adjective that only means dark. It comes from the same Proto-Germanic/Proto-Norse word (dimm) that we get our word "dim" from!

What use is a degree in linguistics if I can't be snobby about language stuff?

(trick question, it's still useless :smith: )

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 19, 2012

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

God, out of all the bands to lead to you being in court, those are two of the most mediocre. I think if I were one of the 7000, I would be particularly gutted to have to pay thousands of dollars of compensation in the name of Lacuna Coil and Iced Earth.

Pretty much. For what it's worth, Jon Schaffer came out and said that the label didn't inform them that they were taking legal action and he thinks it's misguided to pursue legal action against fans for illegal downloading.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QPZIL posted:

"Dimmur" is an adjective that only means dark. It comes from the same Proto-Germanic/Proto-Norse word (dimm) that we get our word "dim" from!

What use is a degree in linguistics if I can't be snobby about language stuff?

(trick question, it's still useless :smith: )

Serves me right for referencing something from urbandictionary (yes, I looked it up after you mentioned this to find out where I read this and it's the first "definition" from 2004).

me-> :shepface::respek::smug: <- you

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 21, 2012

The great M
Sep 10, 2010

The prince.

And then you.
Orden Ogan has release a song from their upcoming album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir_BVxBz5do

Hope the rest of the album keeps up, because drat.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Defleshed posted:

I see. Well, I guess I'll wait to hear the venues. But man I hate baking in the sun/freezing my rear end off all day while wading through garbage to hear a 35 minute set from a band I like while the sound from the lovely band on the next stage over bleeds in. I am becoming like Grandpa Simpson

In other news, Obituary and Broken Hope killed it in Chicago last night. What a great show. I was surprised by the amount of people that turned up, Reggie's was loving packed!

The stages don't run at the same time. I have never been to a big festival where two stages next to each other run at the same time. It's certainly not a problem at MDF.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 22, 2016

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I use a grooveshark app on my phone. It's pretty much had every single band I could think of (except the most kvlt of kvlt black metal) with a healthy amount of their discography.

Grooveshark is definitely a-ok in my book.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Imho there's enough gaps in Spotify's metal selection that it's not really sufficient if you venture much beyond bigger indie labels like Earache/Roadrunner/Century Media/Nuclear Blast and the like. Big names will generally be there but it's generally not great for finding small metal bands that don't already have some kind of following

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Why has no one in here ever mentioned the fact that Deceased is as criminally underrated as Coroner?

20 years listening to metal and this is the first listen I've had :mad:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

Why has no one in here ever mentioned the fact that Deceased is as criminally underrated as Coroner?

I've worn out my copy of their Behind the Mourner's Veil EP. Zombie Attack!!! I've also got a soft spot for Blueprints for Madness. I'd recommend checking them both out. Deceased is indeed a highly underrated band. Despite what some may say, Lamb of God and GWAR are not the greatest metal bands to come out of Richmond, VA.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I've loved Deceased ever since the "Death... Is Just the Beginning" comp I picked up in the mid-90's, which had "The Creek of the Dead" on it. "The Blueprints for Madness" is just so unique and awesome, especially in comparison to the other stuff that was coming out back then.

I also like "Supernatural Addiction" which is almost like death-n-roll.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Morbid Florist posted:

Well, maybe if you had paid attention in these threads you would have noticed them being mentioned plenty of times.

Every single time they were brought up there was even the obligatory all caps joke.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Night of the Deceased is a real storming epic of a tune. Deceased are one of the best bands ever.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Morbid Florist posted:

They were mentioned on the first page of this thread and I've posted about them quite a few times in the past. One of my favourite bands.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

The Clit Avoider posted:

They were mentioned on the first page of this thread and I've posted about them quite a few times in the past. One of my favourite bands.

mods please change clit avoiders name to KING FOWLEY pls.

And also implement a script to make all his posts all caps.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
UP THE TOMBSTONES

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I know this was a few pages back, but a big thank you to whoever mentioned Satyricon a few pages back. I listened to Volcano on my way to work this morning, and it made the commute a hundred times more enjoyable. I'm going to start working my way through their catalog, and listening to whatever else has a similar sound. I think someone called in "black-and-roll" which is a very apt description based on how some of the songs just lock into a groove. Sort of how groovy Bolthrower can get. I'm probably describing this horribly, hope it makes some sort of sense.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

IRQ posted:

Just got back from Kamelot, their new singer is surprisingly good. Don't miss them if you were worried about losing Roy Kahn. He fits in great, does the older stuff perfectly, and I couldn't be happier with him.

They didn't play anything off Poetry for the Poisoned, curiously.

I thought they would break up when Khan left, it's not like they've done anything since Poetry for the Poisoned. Kind of curious if they'll put out another album.

goat stimulator
Feb 14, 2012

turn riffs into a weapon
My first post in this thread. Hi.

I've been listening to a lot of speed metal the past couple of weeks. 4RIFFS4SATAN.

Skull Fist - Head of the Pack
Midnight - Complete and Total loving Midnight
Stone - S/T and No Anaesthesia
ADX - Execution
Su Ta Gar - Jaiotze Basatia

And how about that MDF announcement? Cruciamentum? Revenge? Bolt Thrower? ABIGAIL!?! Next year's lineup already tops this year's for me. All I want is Antediluvian, Adversarial, and the almighty SABBAT (from Japan of course, supposedly touring the USA in 2013...it's likely they'll play MDF) so I can die happy.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I thought they would break up when Khan left, it's not like they've done anything since Poetry for the Poisoned. Kind of curious if they'll put out another album.

Actually they have one coming out in just a couple months!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwV011buF3w

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I just got back from the Morbid Angel, Dark Funeral, Grave, and Vadimvon show in Columbus, OH, and I had a blast.

Local stalwarts Dismemberment opened up the show with their brand of blackened thrash metal that was quite pleasing since I have seen them numerous times.

Vadimvon though was so god drat boring it was painful. Just half-assed death/black metal, and the only reason why I think they are on this tour is because one of the guys in that band did all the artwork for Morbid Angel's website.

Grave was loving awesome, but they only played about six songs (three new and three old), so I was a little disappointed in that.

Dark Funeral I think stole the show since they had a ton of energy and they played a lot of my favorite songs (666 Voices Inside, My Funeral, Vobiscum Satanas, My Dark Desires, Hail Murder). Their new vocalist, Nachtgarm, was actually really good and had a great presence to him.

Morbid Angel played a lot of old-school stuff, and only two newer songs. It seemed like they were also doing a medley of songs from "Altars of Madness" and would just segue into a new one after the first minute or so, which I am okay with. Also, Trey Azagtoth's guitar had "instaGIB" written on it, which made me laugh my rear end off.

I really highly recommend seeing this tour if it comes your way.

Oh yeah, I also interviewed Ola Lindgren of Grave and Lord Ahriman of Dark Funeral, and they were both really cool and chill. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Grave's really the only reason I want to go since it could be their last tour of the states. 6 songs? :(