Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Broken Loose posted:

HOLY loving poo poo THE LAST 60 SECONDS OF THIS SHOW JUST STABBED ME WITH A GODDAMN PITCHFORK

Now go back and watch parts of the first two episodes. Then cry because there will be no Great-Hen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Broken Loose posted:

HOLY loving poo poo THE LAST 60 SECONDS OF THIS SHOW JUST STABBED ME WITH A GODDAMN PITCHFORK

Welcome to the club, buddy. :smith::hf::smith:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Shin Mazinger.txt pretty much

Oh Great Hen, will you come out by the time I die?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Broken Loose posted:

Now you are truly one of us.

There will never be a Great-hen, this makes me incredibly sad.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
But there is a Great-hen...in our hearts...which is probably as close as it'll ever get to being real.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I believe in Banpresto to essentially invent their own Great-hen as the next logical step in their powers to bolster lackluster series into worthy additions.

....I'm still waiting for the alternate Grendizer from that one old UFO movie with the completely different attacks and storyline versus the series that still needs a subbin'...

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I'm still waiting for Giant Robo: The Siege of Babel.

Imagawa does this every single time and he's still one of my favourite directors :(

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The 2004 Tetsujin-28 remake had a pretty definitive ending! And it wasn't an awful ending either so Imagawa is definitely capable of making endings with closure that don't suck. I guess he just has high expectations on how popular his stuff will be.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If what I remember hearing about Giant Robo is true, they had the whole thing planned out as a TV series, including the Siege of Babel and the prequel stuff involving Taiso, Alberto and Cervantes, when their budget got cut and Yamagawa decided to animated the middle portion as an OAV as it was the most interesting.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Kraker2k on his blog just finished a detailed three part post on Masami Obari. If you have any interest in robot art and animation you should check them out.

Masami Obari Part 1: An Introduction
Masami Obari Part 2: Influences and Style
Masami Obari Part 3a: Obari Style Animators and Legacy
Masami Obari Part 3b: Obari Style Animators and Legacy
Masami Obari Part 3c: Obari Style Animators and Legacy

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go rewatch Dangaioh.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
No idea who made these, but some /m/ poster pulled a couple of sequential animated gifs of Getter Robo fighting Gurren Lagann. Check it out.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Ah, the ideal world where we'd get an old 70s style team up movie between those two. "Getter Robo vs. Gurren Lagann." They would combine at the end by crashing into each other, the jets at the fuselage point and the Lagann at the drill tip, forming the Getter Lagann.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was sure I had a Getter Lagann somewhere around, but all I can find in my messy pictures folder is a GaoGaiLagann.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

onepixeljumpman posted:

Ah, the ideal world where we'd get an old 70s style team up movie between those two.

I would kill for an OVA where (Shin) Mazinger Z, Mazinkaiser SKL and New Getter Robo teamed up to fight a random evil dinosaur or something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

tsob posted:

No idea who made these, but some /m/ poster pulled a couple of sequential animated gifs of Getter Robo fighting Gurren Lagann. Check it out.

I knew it was going to end exactly that way, because any other way would cause the internet to implode from the rage of fanboys from either side.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Since when does the Getter 1 shoot rays from its fist?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

Glad I'm not that only one who thought that.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I was reminded of the following: when I first played the English patched Super Robot Wars 3, and I wasn't too familiar with all the robots involved, Getter Robo's sprite really made it seem like Getter Ray was shot from its fingertip.

doublegomez
Jun 23, 2010

Amadeus Windfall posted:

I would kill for an OVA where (Shin) Mazinger Z, Mazinkaiser SKL and New Getter Robo teamed up to fight a random evil dinosaur or something.

It can't just be an evil dinosaur, it has to be some insane combination of the enemies from each show. Like an ancient volcano that has gone sentient and wants revenge on the world in the form of a giant robot made from tiny robot dinosaurs that shoot regular dinosaurs, but it was all a ruse by Dr. Hell to get Getter energy, which is when he reveals that the volcano is actually the Shin Iron Kaiser.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

tsob posted:

I was sure I had a Getter Lagann somewhere around, but all I can find in my messy pictures folder is a GaoGaiLagann.

Here you go:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU5pMBLfobk

New Gothicmade trailer. This time with robot fighting!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Broken Loose posted:

I'm gonna go with "Since the pilot yelled really hard".

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

tsob posted:

Everything + GaoGaiGar is loving amazing

SpiralMarg :allears:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Other than Gothicmade, is there anything else new coming up on the giant robot horizon?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The only one that comes to mind is Justeen. Whether it'll actually come out in 2012 or next year, I'm not sure.

http://www.st-noix.jp/justeen/

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There's the Star Driver Movie, Kihei Senki Legacies which is probably a dead project, Sengoku Gyoujin Dullahan another one I think died, the Eva movies, Gundam the Origin, Tomino's next project G-Reko, this season's Gyrozetter which is about cars that turn into robots and that Code Geass OVA.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Double post but gently caress it.

I'm one episode from finishing the Dancougar TV series. My only comment is gently caress Shapiro and all the frustrating characters in this show. But for some reason I just couldn't stop watching. On to the OVAs I guess.

L.Gaim is done. Go get it.

Also the Star Driver movie trailer is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lphwHaL1pN4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Awesome, time to get rid of my horrendous HK subs version.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
My RSS feed thing isn't working or something, because I didn't get confirmation that L-Gaim was done until I saw this thread got new posts. Updated the OP accordingly, which I try to keep up-to-date whenever a new episode of any of the listed series gets put up.

Speaking of RSS feeds not working properly, a cursory check of all the links informs me that :siren:GETTER ROBO: EPISODE 23:siren: has been subbed and put up for download as of today.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hey Super Robot Thread, we're doing another group chorus thing http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508314

Starting with Tetsujin 28's theme.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

So I've seen about 6-7 episodes of Xabungle and liked it. I haven't seen any of L-Gaim and all I know is that it's a Tomino show with Nagano mech designs. Which is enough to justify taking a look at it.

But my question is, since both of them have finished: has anyone watched a significant amount of both shows? And if so, which do you prefer? I'm going to watch both of them eventually but I've been wondering which to marathon first.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I finished Xabungle the other week and I'm about 14 episodes from finishing L.Gaim and I'd say I like Xabungle more. I've heard that the show goes pear shaped in the last run of L.Gaim but I haven't gotten to that yet.

Xabungle seems like a much more focused work which is funny considering it's a high energy comedy. Don't get me I really liked most of L.Gaim but Xabungle is just fun to watch.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Srice posted:

So I've seen about 6-7 episodes of Xabungle and liked it. I haven't seen any of L-Gaim and all I know is that it's a Tomino show with Nagano mech designs. Which is enough to justify taking a look at it.

But my question is, since both of them have finished: has anyone watched a significant amount of both shows? And if so, which do you prefer? I'm going to watch both of them eventually but I've been wondering which to marathon first.

Xabungle by far. It's a very goofy self aware show that's fun to watch the whole way through. It's probably the Tomino show I enjoyed the most.

L-Gaim is well, it's interesting. While it's supposed to be one of Tomino's lighthearted series it has some serious mood whiplash. Also lightsaber fights.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cool, sounds like an easy choice then. I'm not too surprised since whenever a new episode of Xabungle was out there would be some places that would talk about it, but I rarely saw the same for L-Gaim.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Hey guys, guess what just came in the mail!

:kamina:
aw yissss

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm annoyed I missed that Kickstartr project, didn't even know it was a thing till after it was done. I hope he sells them again at some point, would love to buy some. How is he getting away with selling something featuring copyrighted characters though?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Because Kickstarter isn't a store. You donate, and he gives out incentives. Any money he gets in excess of the production cost does not go to Nate personally.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Who does it go to then out of interest?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
It goes to Kickstarter, and then a majority share of it goes to him.

Plus since when does an anime production company give a poo poo about someone making comics about their characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Silentman0 posted:

Hey guys, guess what just came in the mail!

:kamina:
aw yissss

Oh you fuckers. I didn't even know this was a thing until now.

• Locked thread