Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
One thing I love about the RE games is the quick-180 turn (Down + Run), which is kind of in here but not really. What I mean is that pressing back will turn you around and run resets the camera, so for all intents and purposes it still functions as a quick-180. It just doesn't work all of the time because sometimes Down won't turn you around all the way. I'm hoping they fine-tuned this for the release, but I'm not holding my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
So does the public in the Resident Evil games know about the bioweapons, or is it all hushed up, and this global outbreak is the first time anyone has had solid proof of them?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

OldMemes posted:

So does the public in the Resident Evil games know about the bioweapons, or is it all hushed up, and this global outbreak is the first time anyone has had solid proof of them?

The public knows they exist. Umbrella was taken down in a very public trial that took several years to resolve, and between 1998 and 2005, bio-weapons got onto the black market and were used in a number of terrorist attacks throughout the planet, including multiple locations in the U.S. Degeneration deals pretty extensively with that, to the point where there are protestors running around an airport wearing zombie masks.

When the President says he's going to reveal the truth about Raccoon City in Leon's game, he actually means he's going to come clean to the general public about the U.S. government's culpability in the disaster.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Wanderer posted:

The public knows they exist. Umbrella was taken down in a very public trial that took several years to resolve, and between 1998 and 2005, bio-weapons got onto the black market and were used in a number of terrorist attacks throughout the planet, including multiple locations in the U.S. Degeneration deals pretty extensively with that, to the point where there are protestors running around an airport wearing zombie masks.

When the President says he's going to reveal the truth about Raccoon City in Leon's game, he actually means he's going to come clean to the general public about the U.S. government's culpability in the disaster.

See, I'm curious what this will entail. The public already knows that the US Gov nuked the city to stop the virus, so I hope Capcom goes batshit with retconning in some crazy conspiracy; with the way the President is coincidentally offed by an outbreak right before he tells all, I'd say it's an absurdly over-the-top way to "silence" him.

Edit: every time I remember that there's a "Neo Umbrella" in this game, I chuckle. It really is an anime villain name.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm embargoed until the 1st and can't say more, but that is discussed in the game.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I'm playing the demo at the second, I had planned to just wait til the game was out but I do love me some resident evil. Doing Leon's bit at the moment, and i'm loving it. There's campiness galore, from the start where the president is obviously a zombie and Leon's like "Mr president...no...don't come any closer!" to the bit where you run through a metal detector with the line "Shoulda known better..." said is such a deadpan way. Hopefully the rest of the game is like this, Leon's parts at least.

That said, what's up with herbs? I get that I can press R2 to heal myself using...something? And then the herbs i've got in the inventory, how do I use them? I've got two R + G combinations but no way to use them or refill the R2 thing, which is a bit confusing.

Edit - BEST downed + saved animation in the loving industry. Pop those pills!

Edit 2 - Hahaha, slide into a zombie with your knife out, hack its knees off, roll to the side and watch it just collapse. I did this on two cop zombies, I think i'm in love with this game. Also the knife gets a stab instead of a stomp when enemies are downed.

Thievery fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 24, 2012

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
From the menu screen you can move the herbs to your pill case. Red+Green yields more pills than Green or Green+Green. The pill case is what you pull from when you hit right bumper.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Tremors posted:

From the menu screen you can move the herbs to your pill case. Red+Green yields more pills than Green or Green+Green. The pill case is what you pull from when you hit right bumper.

Oh right cool, thank you. I knew that R+G gives you the best herbs from playing the older games but I couldn't actually work out how to use them. Just finished Leon's section and it was hilarious though that might have been due to how I was playing it. I also turned off auto reload because I thought it'd make it a bit more tense running out of ammo and not realising, which was pretty cool.

When you're downed, and the red bar changes to white, does that just mean how long it is until you can attack to defend yourself or is it a death timer/revive timer/whatever timer?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Thievery posted:

When you're downed, and the red bar changes to white, does that just mean how long it is until you can attack to defend yourself or is it a death timer/revive timer/whatever timer?

It's like the DYING status from RE5 except one critical change: when the bar runs out, instead of dropping dead you go back into DANGER and can immediately pop pills to get back to full health. Thank Christ for that, I don't know how often I survived a hit in RE5 pro and then bled out because Sheva saw something shiny.

Fake e: Sheva saw something shiny, 5 times fast, is almost as hard as RE5 pro.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Thievery posted:

That said, what's up with herbs? I get that I can press R2 to heal myself using...something? And then the herbs i've got in the inventory, how do I use them? I've got two R + G combinations but no way to use them or refill the R2 thing, which is a bit confusing.

You don't have to bother mixing herbs. Hold R2+square and the character does it automatically.
Going by one of the previews, it seems AI partners are immortal. Thank gently caress for that.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

timeandtide posted:

See, I'm curious what this will entail. The public already knows that the US Gov nuked the city to stop the virus, so I hope Capcom goes batshit with retconning in some crazy conspiracy; with the way the President is coincidentally offed by an outbreak right before he tells all, I'd say it's an absurdly over-the-top way to "silence" him.

Edit: every time I remember that there's a "Neo Umbrella" in this game, I chuckle. It really is an anime villain name.

True, the public knows that the government took action to contain the outbreak by nuking Raccoon City. I would assume they'd play up the fact that Umbrella wasn't just making B.O.Ws for just anyone and that it was more of a government contract. That of course changed the narrative a bit to make it into more of a government conspiracy as opposed to Umbrella just being a shady mega corporation.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
I haven't been in the loop for this game but I'm optimistic after playing the recent demo. Has there been any information regarding the villains yet? I know the game soon but it's weird that nothing major has been revealed.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

This works with all weapons but looks so stupid with the knife. Get that out, aim, and tap forward + X/A (depending on console). It makes you do a little forward roll, ending on the floor with your weapon upwards. Then just smack left/right and you'll do rolls around like an idiot.

I know you can do this from running > aiming, etc etc, but I just love the forward roll they do. Game of the year.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lucid Delusion posted:

True, the public knows that the government took action to contain the outbreak by nuking Raccoon City. I would assume they'd play up the fact that Umbrella wasn't just making B.O.Ws for just anyone and that it was more of a government contract. That of course changed the narrative a bit to make it into more of a government conspiracy as opposed to Umbrella just being a shady mega corporation.

Not exactly. It's actually picking up on a long-since-dropped plot point. RE3 had a lot of little hints in its endgame that there were at least elements within the U.S. government that knew exactly what Umbrella was up to.

This includes the U.S. Special Forces team that's lying around dead in the room where you fight the final battle with Nemesis and a file where Umbrella mentions it's trying to use its political influence to stop the air strike on Raccoon City.

Of course, then RE:CV had nothing to do with this and they completely dropped the Umbrella plotline, but RE6 picks right back up on it like it's not a thing.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

charismaslover posted:

I haven't been in the loop for this game but I'm optimistic after playing the recent demo. Has there been any information regarding the villains yet? I know the game soon but it's weird that nothing major has been revealed.

Not yet. Maybe with a launch trailer. How long was it before they revealed Wesker as the villain in RE5?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The guy I'm assuming is the main villain, Derek Simmons, shows up in most of the trailers.

The Pickles
Apr 9, 2011

You should try this wonderful lunch. It's more than a delicious tasty crunch.
Is it confirmed whether or not there will be splitscreen coop in the actual game? My only disappointment with the demo was that it was absent.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The Pickles posted:

Is it confirmed whether or not there will be splitscreen coop in the actual game? My only disappointment with the demo was that it was absent.

There is.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Captain Walker posted:

It's like the DYING status from RE5 except one critical change: when the bar runs out, instead of dropping dead you go back into DANGER and can immediately pop pills to get back to full health. Thank Christ for that, I don't know how often I survived a hit in RE5 pro and then bled out because Sheva saw something shiny.

Fake e: Sheva saw something shiny, 5 times fast, is almost as hard as RE5 pro.

So then whats the point of it in single player then? I could see why they would have something like that in multiplayer, but I hated when RE5 did it too. It cheats you out of one of the really cool things about Resident Evil games... death animations. One of my favorite parts of 4. I hope they're is an option to turn it off in single player.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AASman posted:

So then whats the point of it in single player then? I could see why they would have something like that in multiplayer, but I hated when RE5 did it too. It cheats you out of one of the really cool things about Resident Evil games... death animations. One of my favorite parts of 4. I hope they're is an option to turn it off in single player.

All the death animations are super censored so its not like you're missing anything.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Alteisen posted:

All the death animations are super censored so its not like you're missing anything.

What? Why are they censored?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AASman posted:

What? Why are they censored?

The game has to meet the certification requirements for all regions due to online play. RE4 wasn't online and so it had a censored and uncensored version depending on where you played. RE5 and 6 are and so they face different limitations. Not all deaths are censored but certain things (like decapitation) tend to be.

hrpff
Jun 19, 2004
undercooked Wendy's burgers or something
I always thought it was kinda weird how in RE5 it would strategically move the camera so you couldn't see yourself get chainsawed to death (even though your character model doesn't actually get decapitated), but every once in a while one of those big pod people would just loving bite you in half and drop your legs on the floor. Where's the line drawn on that stuff anyway?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hrpff posted:

I always thought it was kinda weird how in RE5 it would strategically move the camera so you couldn't see yourself get chainsawed to death (even though your character model doesn't actually get decapitated), but every once in a while one of those big pod people would just loving bite you in half and drop your legs on the floor. Where's the line drawn on that stuff anyway?

This is true, I can't pop anyone's head in Borderlands 2 but I can watch them scream while they burn to death.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

hrpff posted:

Decapitations are off-limits. Everything else? Who gives a poo poo, disembowel those motherfuckers!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To my understanding the decapitation issue in Japan was largely a reaction to the Kobe Child Murders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_child_murders

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Hey so does anyone with RE5 on 360 want to help me through it? I'm up to 3-2.

I'm a good shot, I just... have trouble dealing with the drop-dead retarded AI. Plus it's really no fun without another person.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ImpAtom posted:

The game has to meet the certification requirements for all regions due to online play. RE4 wasn't online and so it had a censored and uncensored version depending on where you played. RE5 and 6 are and so they face different limitations. Not all deaths are censored but certain things (like decapitation) tend to be.

I still don't get this. Don't newer Mortal Kombat games have online play? Does that mean they took out all the infamous fatalities? Also why not program the game to censor itself when your in an online game but leave it alone in an offline game?

edit: Also Gears of War had online co-op and it was violent as poo poo, what the gently caress?

Ausmund fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 25, 2012

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

AASman posted:

I still don't get this. Don't newer Mortal Kombat games have online play? Does that mean they took out all the infamous fatalities? Also why not program the game to censor itself when your in an online game but leave it alone in an offline game?

edit: Also Gears of War had online co-op and it was violent as poo poo, what the gently caress?

Really it's less Japan and more countries like Australia and Germany and have pretty tough censorship laws. MK was banned in Australia.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I always get a little surprised these days when an M-rated game actually contains levels of violence or obscene language that you'd see in an R-rated movie. Mass Effect 2 would probably get a PG-13 rating from the MPAA, but I guess the immersion factor gets it an M from the ESRB. Not that the MPAA is lenient by any means but the ESRBat times kinda feels like the Hayes Film Code we had in the US for a time (arbitrary rules enforcing moral filmmaking, like no kiss could last more than 3 seconds).

E: this is probably why people like stuff like Saints Row so much. Fight the power, with a dildo bat!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Goddamit, HALF OFF RESIDENT EVIL FRANCHISE declares Steam. It's RE5 only, ORC isn't included. :saddowns:

v: It's still showing as £30 for me. :psyduck:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 25, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

poptart_fairy posted:

Goddamit, HALF OFF RESIDENT EVIL FRANCHISE declares Steam. It's RE5 only, ORC isn't included. :saddowns:

But ORC is included? It's $25 instead of $50.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AASman posted:

Mortal Kombat didn't get a Japanese release at all. Gears of War did but it got a Z rating from the CERO whereas Resident Evil 5 got a D rating. Z ratings tend to be a lot more trouble from what I understand. It's actually regulated while the others are either much less so or not at all. Capcom is a Japanese company and Resident Evil is one of those games that sell equally well in Japan and America so they have to consider the ratings for both countries.

Including two versions of the game (censored and uncensored) on a disc would probably be needlessly problematic or risk something screwing up and adding full-on decapitation due to a glitch or something. This is actually an issue in Japan. There was one of the Atelier Whatever games that got its shipments stopped because content was found which changed it from A (All ages) to B (12 and up.) Going from a D to a Z would be a much bigger deal, obviously.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 25, 2012

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god by all counts ORC is a really average, cheaply made game but by god I'm smiling constantly. Conversations from previous games recreated word-for-word, strings of music incorporated into the general soundtrack, playing as the Umbrella bad guys, etc etc. I should feel bad for buying a game that's been mauled by the gaming press but I'm in love. :allears:

Should probably play multiplayer though. I guess pubbies won't be too different from the bots either way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh my god by all counts ORC is a really average, cheaply made game but by god I'm smiling constantly. Conversations from previous games recreated word-for-word, strings of music incorporated into the general soundtrack, playing as the Umbrella bad guys, etc etc. I should feel bad for buying a game that's been mauled by the gaming press but I'm in love. :allears:

Should probably play multiplayer though. I guess pubbies won't be too different from the bots either way.

Exactly! If it were $10 instead of $25 I would have bought four copies. It's just goofy nonserious fun.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Aye aye, definitely. Pick up some guns, get some friends together, blast zombies in the face, chuck zombies at each other as bullet shields. :haw:

I'd reccomend this to any fan of the series really - at that price anyway. I'd think twice before pulling the trigger on it full price, but if you've got friends to play it with then at budget you can't go too far wrong.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

poptart_fairy posted:

Aye aye, definitely. Pick up some guns, get some friends together, blast zombies in the face, chuck zombies at each other as bullet shields. :haw:

I'd reccomend this to any fan of the series really - at that price anyway. I'd think twice before pulling the trigger on it full price, but if you've got friends to play it with then at budget you can't go too far wrong.

It's more fun on the difficulties with friendly fire.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
MY GIRLFRIEND pre ordered from capcom's official store (really wanted the Umbrella umbrella), and she got a shipping notice today! If it is here before the weekend I'm gonna go ballistic!!!!

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!
Hey dudes, there's a Steam sale on Operation Raccoon City and RE5, so if you're crazy and never played RE5 or are curious enough to play ORC, now's a good chance!

(Just remember the PC version of RE5 doesn't have DLC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Beltway is an amazing character.

"Stop getting hurt, you rear end in a top hat. :argh:" - the best First Aid spray quote.

e; oh my god his friendly fire stuff. "Which one of you assholes just shot me?! :byodood:"

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 26, 2012