Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
He's (or he was before he met Annie, anyway) awful self-deprecating with his wit and kinda timid. Since his shtick as a ghost seems to be manifesting whatever illusory hijinks he wants, maybe he's just chosen to adapt an unassuming, harmless image. Maybe he doesn't want people seeing how he actually looked in life. I always figured Mort's look came hand-in-hand with Mort's personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Mort's going to be the kid who Renard killed to try to woo Surma.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Mort was smothered in a bedsheet.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Mort is a bedsheet, they just edit the strings out in post.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Mort is Robox. That is why you never see the two of them in the same panel.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Careful or you might get a visit from the avatar fairy.

Calaveron posted:

(also I thought current theory what with Coyote has said this chapter is that Mort wasn't an alive person once but an etheric creature that happens to resemble a cartoony ghost)

Given that he can change forms, and every time we've seen him as "cartoony ghost" he's trying to not scare people...

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
This may be weird, but of all of GC's many many cliffhangers, today's update is the worst for me. (Worst as in best.)

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Welp, here we go. T-Minus 48 hours to :ms:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's the question on everyone's mind. Certainly, one of the two most burning questions in the entire comic (the other is, who's that big guy who's always hanging around?).

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Fecha posted:

Welp, here we go. T-Minus 48 hours to :ms:

We won't find out until next Monday and you know it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Interesting that she put it like that, since Annie supposedly knows what she is (or at least what Ysengrin thought she was).

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
Geez Annie. I know you just had a pretty close brush with death, but is "hello" and "how are you?" so difficult?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Well that was refreshingly direct.

Of course, wednesday will have antimony walking out saying "well that clears that up!" and this will continue with the adventures of boxbot and cityface

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Wednesday Jones reveals she actually is a robot

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
She'll turn out to be a golem and Tom will spike an invisible football into the ground shouting BOOYEAH because "not a robot" does not mean "not any number of other possible artificial constructs a character could be".

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I was going to suggest android, but yeah.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Jones is actually Mort in a very convincing dour lady costume.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Zorak posted:

She'll turn out to be a golem and Tom will spike an invisible football into the ground shouting BOOYEAH because "not a robot" does not mean "not any number of other possible artificial constructs a character could be".

Yeah, a golem has always seemed like a slight possibility ever since she said she wasn't a robot.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh, this is going to be interesting. :suspense:

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

"A robot."

Alternative:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Jones isn't a robot because she's actually a pile of several smaller robots stacked into a human-sized disguise.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
She could be a human without a soul.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jones just turns out to have really, really good self esteem.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Does anyone else get the impression that Jones had been standing like that for a very long time?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

A student posted:

She could be a human without a soul.

Well, that explains what Mort is. Jones' soul had to go somewhere.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Maybe Jones is Jeanne's body after her soul got sucked out to guard the waters. Or Diego got creepier and made an android to replace her and love/care for him after she died and his other robots did nothing.

edit: beaten

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Jones isn't a robot because she's actually a pile of several smaller robots stacked into a human-sized disguise.

She is, in fact, five miniaturised humans in small craft that transform and assemble themselves into one person.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

drat, that's some update to wake up to. :suspense:

Have we seen how she looks in the ether before? I'm wondering if she looks different there, since she's not a normal human.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I love that she's presumably had to walk a bit through the court to get to Jones but she still has leaves falling off her when she does.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

lil baby anime posted:

I love that she's presumably had to walk a bit through the court to get to Jones but she still has leaves falling off her when she does.

Makes sense Jones would have an office near the Bridge.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cabbit posted:

I was going to suggest android, but yeah.

But Donny Dons borrowed her cell phone! Why would she need a cell phone if she was herself a smartphone?

(:eng101: Also obviously she'd be a gynoid!)

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Template:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

After all this speculation, I kinda hope Jones turns out to be a completely normal woman who can do amazing things by just giving less fucks that previously thought possible.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Jones is Batman, isn't she?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

QuantaStarFire posted:

Jones is Batman, isn't she?
"I'm Batman." is always a valid response to "What are you?"

Even though Annie isn't a terrified criminal being dangled off a rooftop.

Yet.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Annie's got a hook for a hand, and she won't stop until she's killed the robot who gave it to her!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

My best guess is still that Jones will turn out to be an elemental decedent like Annie, just earth/stone instead of fire. It would explain the title of the chapter and her similarities to a robot (sinks like a rock, strong as a mountain, patient as a stone, etc).

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

glitchwraith posted:

My best guess is still that Jones will turn out to be an elemental decedent like Annie, just earth/stone instead of fire. It would explain the title of the chapter and her similarities to a robot (sinks like a rock, strong as a mountain, patient as a stone, etc).

Wonder what that has to do with the stars, though.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Rasamune posted:

Wonder what that has to do with the stars, though.

The theory isn't without it's holes. It also wouldn't explain the Wandering Eye name Coyote called her. (Though I am thinking it might just be Coyote's nickname for her, like Fire Head Girl for Annie.) However, if correct, Jone's explanation of her origin could also give insight into Annie's, especially if it takes into account Coyote's explanation of Etheric beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Jones: What am I? I am a woman in a mask.

Antimony: I can see that.

Jones: Of course, I was not questioning your powers of observation, merely the paradox of asking a masked woman who she is.

Coming this Summer, J for Jones