Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Oh my god this is too good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

How could they not pepper in a "quite frankly" in there? Come on Onion. Peeps got to do better.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I'm reading The Hustler's Handbook, Bill Veeck's 2nd book, written in 1965, and found this amazing bit I had to share.

quote:

Without the Yankees' long history of success through victory, the Mets could never have achieved their own spirited dash to success through defeat. New Yorkers can condescend to root for the Mets- and when you think about it there is a large element of condescension in the affection for the team- only because the Yankees are still there in the background with that history of unbroken success. The Met fan doesn't live and die with the team as he once lived and died with the old Dodgers. The city isn't deeply involved with them, it is amused by them. The Met fan puts forth his addiction as a charming idiosyncrasy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Peevin' A Smith

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
I just watched Manny Pacquiao play Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots on Sportscenter and I am confused.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Everybody's favourite 11-time Sportswriter of the year:

https://twitter.com/ReillyRick/statuses/248897525795418113?tw_i=248897525795418113&tw_e=details&tw_p=tweetembed

I could find ten better writers at a My Little Pony convention posted:

Dear Seamheads: Please explain how Miguel Cabrera can be 1 HR away from a Triple Crown + some of u r still talking Mike Trout MVP? #GetCable

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Meanwhile...

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Nothing wrong there

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Politely disagree.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Jeff Pearlman still struggling to get goatse out of his head

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

The broken bones posted:

Hahaha

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Conversely, Pearlman enjoys human breast milk for all his dairy needs.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

How does jeff feel about your national exposure?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The broken bones posted:

c'mon tubgirl would have been a much better fit

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

c'mon tubgirl would have been a much better fit

He said goatse because we know for a fact that Jeff Pearlman has seen goatse

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Tell the story please

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I Challenge Thee (I think) goatse'd Jeff Pearlman and Pearlman called his mom to tattle.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Groucho had a part in it too. I believe he was the other person in Pearlman's article about anonymous fans.

Someone needs to let Pearlman know about where the Millville Meteor came from.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I'm the one who showed him goatse. ICT had to hold back snickering on the phone when Jeff told him his daughter saw it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Jackie MacMullan: Replacement refs will cause the man giants of the NFL to rise up and DESTROY ALL THAT THEY SEE:

quote:

Without the integrity of the game, what do you have? A bunch of big, strong, angry men who have reached their breaking point.

Bring the refs back now, before one of those big, strong angry men boils over, before they make you rue the day you ever let it come to this.

A tad over-dramatic, I think. She makes it seem like a player is literally going to murder a replacement ref. I could maybe see a player shoving one of them, right before he is ejected, probably suspended and fined a shitton of money for making contact with a ref.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

haljordan posted:

Jackie MacMullan: Replacement refs will cause the man giants of the NFL to rise up and DESTROY ALL THAT THEY SEE:

A tad over-dramatic, I think. She makes it seem like a player is literally going to murder a replacement ref. I could maybe see a player shoving one of them, right before he is ejected, probably suspended and fined a shitton of money for making contact with a ref.

Pretty sure there were one or two incidences of players openly shoving the replacement refs yesterday without any of those things happening.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Crion posted:

Pretty sure there were one or two incidences of players openly shoving the replacement refs yesterday without any of those things happening.

Hell somebody on the Falcons punched a ref in week 2 without a flag.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Yeah groucho goatsed him. I called him a retard and he ended up calling my mom. He told me in the phone conversation something to the effect of "I was on my computer with my seven year old daughter and suddenly on my screen there was a guy doing something with his rear end in a top hat and it was the most disgusting depraved thing I've ever seen" and I almost burst out laughing and said something like "Oh you got goatsed eh?" so I literally had a conversation with a best selling author about goatse

The best part of the whole thing was that in the cnn article he ended up writing he made believe he did some Serious Internet Detectiving to find the both of us when both of us at that point were using our full names as our twitter handles

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 24, 2012

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

Yeah groucho goatsed him. I called him a retard and he ended up calling my mom. He told me in the phone conversation something to the effect of "I was on my computer with my seven year old daughter and suddenly on my screen there was a guy doing something with his rear end in a top hat and it was the most disgusting depraved thing I've ever seen" and I almost burst out laughing and said something like "Oh you got goatsed eh?" so I literally had a conversation with a best selling author about goatse

What was your mother's reaction? Please tell me she told him to get a life.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

haljordan posted:

What was your mother's reaction? Please tell me she told him to get a life.

I was unemployed at the time and she originally thought that it was for a job interview. After I explained what happened to her reaction was a combonation of bemusement and absolute abject disappointment in her only son. I was at my ex-girlfriend's house at the time he called originally and she thought I was the worst person in the world for calling him a retard and ended up breaking up with me like a month after

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

I was unemployed at the time and she originally thought that it was for a job interview. After I explained what happened to her reaction was a combonation of bemusement and absolute abject disappointment in her only son. I was at my ex-girlfriend's house at the time he called originally and she thought I was the worst person in the world for calling him a retard and ended up breaking up with me like a month after

Did her expression go from joy at the possibility of you finding a job to one of "Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with this kid? He can't be mine."

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

The best part of the whole thing was that in the cnn article he ended up writing he made believe he did some Serious Internet Detectiving to find the both of us when both of us at that point were using our full names as our twitter handles

He created a new twitter account as a girl who claimed went to high school with me. It was really obviously a fake and I gave him some fake information for the eventual threatening email he sent me. He also kept it active for a few months and tweeted other sportswriters telling them how good a writer Jeff Pearlman was.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
What?! How have I not heard about that part before. That's a thing that's real?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I know I've mentioned it in conversations on twitter and other offsite stuff. I can't remember if I posted anything about it here.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

haljordan posted:

Did her expression go from joy at the possibility of you finding a job to one of "Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with this kid? He can't be mine."

It was kinda like "you don't have to be so mean to people" but after she read the article she thought he was an rear end in a top hat but mostly thinks its kinda funny at this point. And I ended up getting a job like a month later anyway so it didn't really matter in the end. She just didn't want her name attached to it because she's a grammar school teacher

Honestly, looking back on it, it's easily the most absurd thing that's ever happened to me and it was weird reading actual sportswriters taking passive aggressive shots at me on twitter after Craig Calcaterra posted on Hardball Talk the response I wrote on my old blog

Groucho Marxist posted:

He created a new twitter account as a girl who claimed went to high school with me. It was really obviously a fake and I gave him some fake information for the eventual threatening email he sent me. He also kept it active for a few months and tweeted other sportswriters telling them how good a writer Jeff Pearlman was.

I remember you mentioning it on twitter, loving hilarious

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Ah well, I have unfortunate dark periods where I'm not able to read twitter all the time. It's my own fault.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Well this is just kinda sad.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

MourningView posted:

Well this is just kinda sad.

He's a remarkably insecure, kinda weird dude. He invited me to some event he spoke at in NYC and he spoke about how players hated him and he has a gigantic chip on his shoulder for whatever reason and after speaking to him personally I kinda felt bad for him. He flipped about the retard thing because he has a mentally handicapped family member which is understandable but I mean it was literally a 3am drunk tweet which he found via searching his own name via twitter. Not that it makes it okay but if you're looking for trouble, don't be surprised if you find it, especially on the internet.

I'm still not entirely sure what he tried to accomplish trying to threaten me and groucho but whatever it was he sure came off looking ridiculous which is all we can ask for I guess. I don't think he expected us to respond to him at all or that we weren't like basement dwelling shut-ins

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 24, 2012

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Bless Jeff Pearlman for trying to write a comprehensive book about the 1986 Mets, but drat him for turning it into a fellatio session of his boyhood idols.

Basically, I feel bad for him but admire his efforts. The YouTube video he stupidly posted of him appearing on a local news station while he was in college proclaiming that he had voluntarily chosen virginity says a lot about him.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
SBNation launched their big redesign today. Seems like it gives them a lot of options to work with, but some of their bloggers are taking more advantage than others at the moment.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The Prisoner posted:

Bless Jeff Pearlman for trying to write a comprehensive book about the 1986 Mets, but drat him for turning it into a fellatio session of his boyhood idols.

Basically, I feel bad for him but admire his efforts. The YouTube video he stupidly posted of him appearing on a local news station while he was in college proclaiming that he had voluntarily chosen virginity says a lot about him.

sometimes i like to whip out my penis and you know, do the nasty thing

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

How Biased Is Your Announcer?

Nobody will ever guess who is #1

Though frankly the criteria they choose for deciding "homers" is pretty silly. Referring to a player by his nickname?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Mike Francesa is terrible, but sometimes he is hilarious.

First he falls asleep on the air.

He's not a very good sport about it.

Then he falls for a great NFL network troll.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

No Safe Word posted:

How Biased Is Your Announcer?

Nobody will ever guess who is #1

Though frankly the criteria they choose for deciding "homers" is pretty silly. Referring to a player by his nickname?
Just the fact that they randomly selected one game for each team is not really a great piece of analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.
Jeff Pearlman wrote some terrible article slamming 5k's for whatever reason. then got ripped for it and deleted it. Forunately everyone finds him to be an rear end in a top hat http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2012/06/this-week-in-f-k-you-jeff-pearlman-10k-purist.html , http://www.stridenation.com/2012/6/25/3116507/jeff-pearlman-hates-5k-races .

quote:

It took place at the Meadowlands. Everyone ran three miles around the facility, then entered the stadium and finished by crossing the goal line. It was cool and neat and swell, and we all enjoyed the experience (save for the fact that it felt like 95 degrees, and we were trudging through a parking lot).

That said, I hate the 5k. I really do.

Not only did he have a terrible opinion but he's so spineless that he can't take the backlash.