Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

So, he looks pretty loving dead to me, but is there an actual chance that Glenn is not dead? That would sound preposterous, but A - the guy did he say he wasn't going to kill him, and B - at the end of various issues I've seen people, stabbed, gutted, hung, and EVEN SHOT WITH A GIANT HOLE IN THEIR HEAD and they still lived somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

He's super dead, man.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If he's not then that would be stupider than Carl's thing. Yes, I said stupider.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Kabz posted:

In a world overrun by zombies, sometimes the most dangerous creatures are your fellow human beings trying to survive this madness with you.

Zombies can't deceive, lie, steal....they can only attack and eat. Humans are the ones loving things up constantly.

and this is just about the most generic, lazy thing any author ever can say with a zombie story. Kirkman already went through this with the Governor. He already went through this with that cannibal hunter group. He already went through it with the child murderer in the prison. He has pointed this out so many times it has become boring and lazy. Kirkman is writing in circles, using one theme over and over.

Glenn's death also wasn't done well. It wasn't affecting or shocking. It was gratuitous for gratuitous sake. it was trying to be like Tyeres's death so long ago, but ended up Kirkman yelling "WATCH THIS NO ONE IS SAFE AND I WILL HAVE THE VILLAIN MONOLOGUE ABOUT THAT".

Also, why are people still spoilering stuff? The issues out, it's fair game I thought.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I agree with it having a "been there, done that" feel. The best Walking Dead story going on right now is the Telltale adventure game.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
I think Glenn dying is more of an impact to me because he was the one who initially saved Rick at the onset of the story and now Rick was helpless to save him. Then he died, and he died absolutely brutally.

Other than piling on more and more vicious villains there really can't be much more direction to go in this story other than starting fresh. We can't just cut away from Rick and Carl without any resolution, there is too much invested into them.

Probably my preferred resolution to this entire story would be that shortly after the main MAIN conflict people realize that while they have been so preoccupied with the destruction of each other that the zombie population has dwindled to non-existence (somehow ignoring the "if you die, you turn") and how pointless literally every non zombie related conflict has been.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

So, he looks pretty loving dead to me, but is there an actual chance that Glenn is not dead? That would sound preposterous, but A - the guy did he say he wasn't going to kill him, and B - at the end of various issues I've seen people, stabbed, gutted, hung, and EVEN SHOT WITH A GIANT HOLE IN THEIR HEAD and they still lived somehow.

His head was brutally and repeatedly bashed in to the point where his brains exploded into a billion pieces. I'd say it's more likely that Cyborg Lori shows up next issue with impressive mechanical spider legs than Glen not being dead. My only complaint is that I would have liked him to go out more of a hero... maybe the dude is getting ready to bash Maggie and Glen volunteers to take her place.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I've updated the OP, but once again, if someone wants to make a better and more in-depth one, I'll switch it out.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I was really underwhelmed by the last few issues with the exception of Abe's death . As for the posters talking about WMD's, nerve gas and drone strikes, all of that type of stuff takes a whole lot of technical know-how and supporting logistics. A nuke doesn't have a big red button it you hit to detonate it. I seriously doubt something like that is going to happen. An ambush with Neegan is moving about or planning sure. A surgical clandestine strike through stealth that plants some C4 under his bed would be more at least slightly more plausible and more intense. None of this is likely to happen

I totally agree with the poster who says its becoming reminiscent of DBZ. I hope Rick has a POWER LEVEL OVER 9000 moment. I don't think I'm going to enjoy this story arc coming up unless its quickly concluded in 5-15 issues with combat, major character death and some new sense of purpose emerges.

The idea of cutting away at issue 100 and having new survivors find a destroyed community would be awesome. Having them explore and find the old characters/their remains would be awesome. I wouldn't even be opposed to a significant time jump into the future and having the new characters slowly encounter older characters legacies. Perhaps follow a middle-aged weathered disillusioned Carl who rediscovers his past, or grows more caring after reconnecting with new survivors. Reveal what happened to older characters in flash backs, dialogue or adventures that take place in older locations.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Neegan should've gone down the line killing everyone, only stopping when he got to Rick, then take him prisoner and force him into an absolutely powerless situation, where he either has to slowly plan to usurp Neegan (who is testing his character and beliefs along the way), and/or wait for Andrea to show up with a loving army.

The characters need a culling similar to the prison arc. With the exception of the last few issues, the series' generous plot armour is infecting the comic. And seeing as the characters seem to get less interesting with time I don't even care if most of them die anymore. We need more turnover.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Waroduce posted:

I Perhaps follow a middle-aged weathered disillusioned Carl who rediscovers his past, or grows more caring after reconnecting with new survivors. Reveal what happened to older characters in flash backs, dialogue or adventures that take place in older locations.

I've been saying for like 30 issues that Kirkman just needs to pull a "Reboot" and pick up with adult Carl. I thought that was where he was going with Carl getting shot, and I still think it's the best way to salvage the series.

Kabz
Jul 29, 2004

enigmahfc posted:

and this is just about the most generic, lazy thing any author ever can say with a zombie story. Kirkman already went through this with the Governor. He already went through this with that cannibal hunter group. He already went tBKHABBLAHBLAHBLAHBLHA

Sure it's generic and lazy. So I guess the story writes itself then?
The art doesn't even matter then? The management of characters has been done over and over in a long-form medium?

I find it engaging, and plenty of other people do. It doesn't mean I don't judge the story, I'm always curious at what the response of the group will be because they have been the heart of the story.

A rough guide to storytelling:

Protagonists have obstacles to overcome.
Things get bad, then they get worse, then EVEN worse. Then some relief; the problem is solved.
That's a generic skeleton for a story that has been used in thousands of films/television shows/stageplays/comics. Sometimes protagonists die, then they are martyred. Other times they survive.

In TWD, long running protagonists are dying, and things consistently get worse. There is no happy ending to be had. This makes the concept inherently different, and I'm still engaged by the idea and where the story has taken me.

I'm very curious to see how Kirkman writes Rick and co. out of this mess. I think it's too early to judge.
It feels like there is going to be a big character influx, and their character development will either please fans, or cause even more people to give up on the book.

Kabz fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 20, 2012

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I thought for sure they were killing everyone except the people in the van.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If that doesn't happen in 101 I will be as disappointed as I've come to expect.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Just read 101, and I really thought they were gonna burn that place to the ground. I was so thrilled when Rick and Co. got back to that devastation, and then no-- those fuckers LIVED! :argh: Oh well. I did enjoy Maggie punching the poo poo out of Rick.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
101 was good. This could be Rick's mental tipping point. He has Dwight completely at his mercy, and every reason to want to torture and maim him before killing him, since he killed Abraham and presumably knows a lot of valuable information about Negan's setup. Also, with his burned head Dwight is obviously no stranger to pain, and probably will take a lot to break. Rick is in the position that the Governor was during the prison arc when he had Rick, Michonne, Glenn and later Tyreese at his mercy. Will he follow in the Governor's footsteps?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Everybody try to act surprised when Rick loses it and gets medieval and OH NO CARL SAW HIM HE IS A MONSTER! in 102.

Risky
May 18, 2003

So, if Carl had a gun the whole time why didn't he use it as leverage against Negan to prevent them from losing a member of the group?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Risky posted:

So, if Carl had a gun the whole time why didn't he use it as leverage against Negan to prevent them from losing a member of the group?

I think if he'd tried, Negan's group would've just blown him away without hesitation.

Risky
May 18, 2003

foxatee posted:

I think if he'd tried, Negan's group would've just blown him away without hesitation.

Maybe I should go back and read 100 but I could have sworn that they only had melee weapons.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Risky posted:

Maybe I should go back and read 100 but I could have sworn that they only had melee weapons.

Even if that's the case he has a gun with like 6 bullets against 50 people?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Risky posted:

Someone had a crossbow or something. I mean, just thinking back to Abe.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Maybe if they kill Negan, all his hillbilly followers shut down, like those hosed up GI Joe twins.

Risky
May 18, 2003

therealjon_ posted:

Maybe if they kill Negan, all his hillbilly followers shut down, like those hosed up GI Joe twins.

This is kind of what I was thinking. Had Karl kept his gun sights on Neegan perhaps his followers would have backed off lest they lose their glorious leader.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been
Carl was scared. Its that simple, there are 50 grown men ready to kill/rape them at command. That, and they killed Glen, not him or Rick. Now, if Rick had been chosen the boy would have at least tried to shoot Negan, but honestly I don't think he would have pulled it for Sophia.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just realized that 101 was the crossbow cover and we didn't get Daryl. That sucks.

Kracken
Sep 25, 2006

Let no joyful voice be heard! Let no man look up at the sky with hope! And let this day be cursed by we who ready to wake ...
Killing Glenn was the heaviest death I've dealt with so far. Abraham was a badass but his death was really sudden and as a reader I didn't have time to really care. Glenn, you had to see many panels of him getting thwacked graphically and he was a really great character for a long time. Him mumbling Maggie's name was some emotional stuff before he finally got the last club.

I can only hope Negan gets it worse, in front of his army, but until then I'm kinda done with the series. I liked Glenn that much.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Kracken posted:

Killing Glenn was the heaviest death I've dealt with so far. Abraham was a badass but his death was really sudden and as a reader I didn't have time to really care. Glenn, you had to see many panels of him getting thwacked graphically and he was a really great character for a long time. Him mumbling Maggie's name was some emotional stuff before he finally got the last club.

I can only hope Negan gets it worse, in front of his army, but until then I'm kinda done with the series. I liked Glenn that much.

I liked glen, but I like what his death will do for the series, more.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone else expecting bad things to happen to Sophia and Maggie since they're now at Hilltop without Jesus? Doesn't seem normal to have a character separate from the group and not lose someone, but I guess it doesn't happen that much

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I feel like now they're just punishing me for buying monthly.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm sure it's been suggested before, but I really hope that the series ends with Rick sacrificing all that's good in his life to defeat the latest big bad, only to realize that no one has seen any zombies in awhile and that they're basically extinct aside from new deaths. All the recent fighting has been pointless and everyone would have been better off rebuilding society together. Preferably the final panel is a shot of his face while he says "well, poo poo."

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

[Rick does something] only to realize that no one has seen any zombies in awhile and that they're basically extinct aside from new deaths.

I think this was close to my prediction as well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm sure it's been suggested before, but I really hope that the series ends with Rick sacrificing all that's good in his life to defeat the latest big bad, only to realize that no one has seen any zombies in awhile and that they're basically extinct aside from new deaths. All the recent fighting has been pointless and everyone would have been better off rebuilding society together.

That sounds good, but I'd prefer a shot of him sitting on a hilltop, watching the ruins of civilization smoke before him. For added joy, the Big Bad could have REALLY been a charismatic optimist who didn't let the hard decisions he(or she) made along the way weaken their moral fibre -- and not an rear end in a top hat in jesus-rags.

Cut to Time-lapsed panels of him just sitting there, wasting away as day and night give way. Last panel is him, zombified, looking up at the reader a gurgling mess devoid of hope.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Why does everyone think the series is about to end? If were going by what kirkman has said, then were are not yet at the half way point in the series. I actually see this developing into something biblical, like in revelations. I've just been getting that vibe for some time now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The series will end with an adult Carl (and Sophia) as leaders of whatever is left of civilization. He keeps a zombiefied Rick around as an example of everything that was wrong with "surviving".

He's also stone cold badass and has a wolf for a pet because why not.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Now your just being silly. I take my dead seriously.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

goodfuldead posted:

Why does everyone think the series is about to end? If were going by what kirkman has said, then were are not yet at the half way point in the series. I actually see this developing into something biblical, like in revelations. I've just been getting that vibe for some time now.

Everyone dies because of something we don't yet know about the nature of the zombies. Rick tries to murder-suicide with Carl but Carl pushes him away and Rick flees across the desert in terror. Carl chases, end series.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just read the last few issues and caught up with the thread. Couple of points...

I've said it before but I think this series really reads better as a marathon. I've marathoned it three or four times over the years now and become absolutely engrossed with it each time. When I first came across the book and burned through it, it was already up to the governor arc, so I really got to enjoy a good bit of it before I started following it monthly. But once I started reading it monthly it really started to drag. And that's why I think people keep invariably talking about the book ending, not because Kirkman has said it would any time soon, but more because it's kind of wishful thinking after just getting burned out from reading it monthly. I actually thought of the DBZ comparison as well, not because of the ever increasing power level, but because both are pretty famous for, at times, having no real forward plot movement per issue/episode. It's gotten slightly better recently, but it stills feels like we aren't always getting enough meat per issue. Which is what makes reading it monthly so aggravating. I still like the book, but I've taken to treating it like I treat Naruto, where I just stay away from it for a couple of months and let some issues/episodes pile up, then come back and enjoy a nice little marathon session.

I also agree that Kirkman should consider widening the book's perspective a bit. Maybe start some other storylines with completely new characters. It would give the book a fresh start. He wouldn't necessarily need to kill off or completely leave the old ones just give us new ones with a separate, new perspective. Maybe the easiest way to do something like this would be for him to think about just starting another Walking Dead title and if he doesn't have the time to write it himself just let another creative team see what they can do with his universe. He could give them some guidelines and whatnot since The Walking Dead Universe is his baby and all but I think it would really benefit everyone if he brought in a second title with a new perspective. He could even do something like "The Walking Dead Stories" where each issue or multiple issues(mini-series)are a standalone arc told from the perspective of a completely different group of people. He could even have new creative teams for each arc. I haven't read it myself, but I think World War Z was like this, with multiple stories from different perspectives and I heard it worked well. I think something like this would be a real shot in the arm for the book and the universe. It would take some pressure off of Kirkman and it would help reduce burn out with the fans by not only giving them something fresh but also by giving them more than a single Walking Dead book to wait for every month. The Walking Dead is a huge universe with a lot of interesting possibilities to explore, many of which are probably outside the scope of the characters of the current title. Kirkman should use to his advantage and start creating more parallel stories in his universe.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 5, 2012

Nephielle
Mar 25, 2005

by XyloJW
I really like the idea of a spin-off series in the Walking Dead universe with fresh characters. Maybe something from the perspective of a member of the armed forces. That seems kinda banal to a degree though. Do you think Kirkman would let another writer touch his baby to that degree though? Widening the perspective is great, but the Walking Dead is his cash cow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
The Walking Dead adventure game takes place in the same universe as the comics (it even has Glenn in the first episode), so I don't think he's too averse, as long as he has some manner of oversight.

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 17, 2012

• Locked thread