Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Finally, an episode of Game Center CX filmed in Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Hey, it's the first Amazon review since the DVD came out! Let's see what they-- oh....

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
That's seriously amazing. Besides both believing the sales don't support the show and having an inside look into Kotaku's game reviews, he knows you should just download your subbed episodes before they've been released. What a sport.

His Stop Having Fun Guys reply about the English language promo is just the icing on the cake. Christ, why don't you all just learn Japanese and watch it on Japanese TV? You'll be supporting the staff just as little, GOSH.

Erwin Tuwonwon fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 25, 2012

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Man that dude was really mad about having a legit source for a show he liked.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
This DVD isnt something that fans of the show have wanted for years or anything like that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I don't know about the rest of you but I really hate when media that is in a language I don't understand is suddenly in a language I do understand. It makes me feel unconfused and that scares me.

This DVD collection is such an amazing deal and the amount of effort that went into it is very impressive, I don't really get what he actually wanted aside from something to gripe about.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

13/f/cali posted:

I don't know about the rest of you but I really hate when media that is in a language I don't understand is suddenly in a language I do understand. It makes me feel unconfused and that scares me.

This DVD collection is such an amazing deal and the amount of effort that went into it is very impressive, I don't really get what he actually wanted aside from something to gripe about.

His rant really reeks of "EVERYTHING SHOULD BE FREEEEEEEEE"

He just hates spending money.

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012
Dude sounds like an anime purist. :sweatdrop:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Man, I want to get inside that guy's head and walk around for an hour.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I also like the VERY obvious shill for DISKOTEC on that page THAT like capitalizing RANDOM WORDS in his REVIEWS.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You guys won't be laughing when the next DVD set only features episodes dubbed by Brian Ashcraft.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mister Chief posted:

You guys won't be laughing when the next DVD set only features episodes dubbed by Brian Ashcraft.

Mr. Ashcraft posted:

Here's Arino Cachoo and all of the times he skeeved on pretty ladies in games and in real life! ISN'T JAPANY SO WACKY AND HORNY ALL THE TIME?

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
To be fair, I could go for a montage of that stuff.
MOE! MOE! MOE!
I was staring at her belly button the whole time.
I put sex in the machine!
OHHHHHHHHHHH, ARINO FIGURE'S QUEST FOR CUTE LADIES!
It's okay to hug a lot of girls.
Which part do you normally look at?

V
The Korea trip special.

Erwin Tuwonwon fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 25, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Which episode is the fourth line from?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Mister Chief posted:

He has a degree in Art History?

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Discotek not only put that review up on their Facebook feed, but put the guys email address and said "do what you want". I can do nothing but support a company that gives the address to dissenters away.

VVVVV I was gonna repost it here, but I don't think Zerg Rushing the guy is the best move. I think SA looks down on that still, for that matter.

Hit or miss Clitoris fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 25, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
^^^Beaten

Discotek posted an e-mail on Facebook that looked just like that in terms of keeping the show "pure", but they took it down shortly after because they included the guy's e-mail address to let people tell the guy what they think about his rage e-mail (to be fair, that was kind of a dick move on Discotek's part). I was gonna re-post it here (with the address censored, of course), but they took it down by the time I got to it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

He has a degree in Art History?

What?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
How did Discotek find the guy's email address? :psyduck:

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Obeast posted:

I was gonna re-post it here (with the address censored, of course), but they took it down by the time I got to it.

I'd rather not voluntarily bring in the usual insanity from elsewhere, anyway. This thread has done pretty well, all things considered.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Whoa crazy. I don't condone rushing the guy either. I was just :smith: to see that the first post-release review was a non-review so heavily against the licensed version. Why does he think none of the money goes to the show? It certainly does, plus Kan was happy when he learned about the overwhelming demand. The DVD may not have everything we want, but it's a step in the right direction and the more support it gets, the greater the chance of bringing over more stuff available in the Japanese DVDs, like some of the arcade trips and DVD-exclusive challenges.

vvv Oh so it was a different guy? I was wondering who this "Craig" guy the comments was.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 25, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
^^^ Honestly, zari, I wouldn't give a flying gently caress about the 'purists' who are mad that the show getting translated and "American-ized". Assuming it's not a horrible attempt at a troll, that guy seems to live in his own little world where everyone who doesn't speak Japanese is somehow inferior to him. I think it's great that the show is finally getting actual international recognition after the many years it's been on the air and many hours of entertainment we've gotten out of it thanks to you and the rest of the SAGCCX team. :)

Edit: I didn't read the e-mail too closely, but I don't think I saw SA mentioned in it. I do remember a bunch of words in all caps near the end, which the Amazon review also contains. :raise:

Bocc Kob posted:

How did Discotek find the guy's email address? :psyduck:
I don't think it was the same exact post (I don't remember the one on there mentioning SA), and I'm sure the one posted on FB was e-mailed directly to them.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

VVVVV I was gonna repost it here, but I don't think Zerg Rushing the guy is the best move. I think SA looks down on that still, for that matter.

rdbbb posted:

I'd rather not voluntarily bring in the usual insanity from elsewhere, anyway. This thread has done pretty well, all things considered.
That's true... I was planning to censor the e-mail address, but I'm sure most of us regular and semi-regular readers of this thread have Facebook accounts and his address would've gotten leaked anyway. Although, I think SA is generally one of the more mature communities on the internet, but it really is better to not risk anything in case.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 25, 2012

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
While the guy seems a bit misinformed I agree with some of his points and the childish ganging up on the dude with voting down his comments and voting up everyone else's doesn't do anyone any favours, simply reeks of fanboyism and self-congratulatory mutual masturbation.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Putting that behind, would someone on Facebook like to let the nice lady at 4Jays Video Games know she's on the back of a Japanese DVD?

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
You're right, entertaining dissenting opinions is far less important than talking about office outfits in Japan, pop culture references and Arino's accent. Let's do some more cliqueish back-patting.

How is what he wrote any more biased than what anyone else would say about the show?

Opal fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 25, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the least weasel posted:

You're right, entertaining dissenting opinions is far less important than talking about office outfits in Japan, pop culture references and Arino's accent. Let's do some more cliqueish back-patting.

So you feel that his review of this product was helpful then?

Opal
May 10, 2005

No, but not enough unhelpful to want to get into a weird rant about it and vote it 'unhelpful'. I found most of the comments far less helpful than what he actually wrote. Why is a review unhelpful simply because it doesn't say what you want it to?
Like I said, I agree in that I feel it isn't necessarily a good thing that the show is taking on American influences and in my opinion it runs the risk of tainting the original feel of it.

I think I will also not purchase this DVD because I don't want to financially support an endeavour like Kotaku's. That is not to say I would not pay money for the show, if it came in a different format, and I think that not everyone will realise what the DVD actually is with regards to content - I know I didn't. In that way his review was helpful to me.

Opal fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 25, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the least weasel posted:

No, but not enough unhelpful to want to get into a weird rant about it and vote it 'unhelpful'. I found most of the comments far less helpful than what he actually wrote. Why is a review unhelpful simply because it doesn't say what you want it to?
Like I said, I agree in that I feel it isn't necessarily a good thing that the show is taking on American influences and in my opinion it runs the risk of tainting the original feel of it.

I think I will also not purchase this DVD because I don't want to financially support an endeavour like Kotaku's. That is not to say I would not pay money for the show, if it came in a different format, and I think that not everyone will realise what the DVD actually is with regards to content - I know I didn't. In that way his review was helpful to me.

Write a clearer review that expresses this opinion and I will agree that people would be wrong to vote you down. The original review is raving junk that is rightfully rated unhelpful.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Well again that wasn't particularly my point but whatever.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

the least weasel posted:

Alright. First thing. What "American influences" is the show taking on with the Discotek DVD set and how are they "tainting the original feel" of the show? These are pretty much the only things that were different in the Dub episodes compared to a normal SA-GCCX release:

- The title change to Retro Game Master
- Arino being referred to as The Kacho instead of Chief or just Arino
- The removal of all extra segments and only including the challenge
- The dub itself

One at a time;

- The title change was actually Fuji TV/Gascoin/StyleJam's idea (can't actually remember which. Think it was StyleJam's), not the licensor's. And they've stuck with it every time they've tried selling the series internationally.
- That was pretty much part of the whole marketing pitch for all international prospects, not the licensor's fault again.
- Even the JPN DVD Boxes remove the Non-Challenge segments and only put them in as additional features. It's all licensing here.
- This had to happen. NOBODY outside of people that actually want to watch foreign media want to read subtitles.

[That last one reminds me of a story that was told (I think in this very series of threads) about people who went to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in theaters. There were some people in front of them that were surprised to see subtitles and just up and left when they realized the whole movie was subtitled.]

Secondly, what WOULD you pay money for then? A DVD set of the series as it was aired, Non-Challenge segments and all? If that's what you'd want, you'd be asking the (almost) impossible. Game Center CX in and of itself is a PAIN to get onto DVD because of all the licensing rights that need to be approved by the game companies whose games were used in challenges (why do you think that the DVD Boxes aren't season sets, but random challenges?). Then there's getting permission from the owners of the places that any given Tama-Ge segment was filmed at, and potentially the license holders of any of the games shown off in those segments. Only then can those be included on the DVD as a bonus feature, and usually only one or two.

If you just mean a set without the dub, then that's a lot more reasonable, but still probably wouldn't happen.

Lastly, what exactly do you mean by:

the least weasel posted:

I think that not everyone will realise what the DVD actually is with regards to content - I know I didn't.

Do you mean "This is just the KOTAKU episodes! I'm not paying for anything that may go back towards KOTAKU."?

If so, I'm sorry that you're letting a (admittedly terrible) web site (and probably the dub as well) ruin your enjoyment of a good show and the only legal way to easily get and support the show in the US as of now.

Me, once I save up the money, I'll be buying one of the DVD sets to do my part in supporting GCCX in the US. I'll end up just turning off the dub and putting on the subtitles that zari-gani was hired to work on and just enjoy the episodes again. Then I'll maybe show the DVDs to a couple friends to see if they'll enjoy it. And if they do, I'd give them a couple of the team's releases and tell them to enjoy those, point them here when a new episode is released, and also point them to the Discotek DVD if they really like it after that.

Now, all that aside, I'd actually like you to explain what you mean by your comments if I'm wrong with any of them. If not, let's just have this be the end of it and move on with our lives.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Doesn't it have non-Kotaku episodes on it, too?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

the least weasel posted:

No, but not enough unhelpful to want to get into a weird rant about it and vote it 'unhelpful'.

I think I will also not purchase this DVD because I don't want to financially support an endeavour like Kotaku's.

I think to sum up the DVD box's issues really quickly:

Some people are going to be upset about things that nobody can change, and will no accept that at some level you can only buy what the owner is selling. In America, there will NEVER be an official release of a full, unadulterated episode of Game Center CX with all the various segments since Fuji, due to licensing issues, are just offering the DVD cuts to buyers.

Also, while it's easy to hate Kotaku, they really didn't have too much to do with it, and aside from promotion, I have no clue what they were responsible for. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't directly responsible for the crappy translation and the bad dubbing (no would I be if they were). But, they didn't edit the episodes. They didn't make the changes. They just didn't promote it.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Hakkesshu posted:

Doesn't it have non-Kotaku episodes on it, too?

It was my understanding that this contains the 10 or 12 episodes that Kotaku bought, and that this is the only way to get them in a legit manner.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Some people are just going to be willfully ignorant when it comes to niche stuff like this---lord knows I saw tons of it back when I could afford to indulge in the R1 anime dvd market prior to entering the land of unemployment.

What matters is the fans that "get it" also being vocal, and more importantly, actually purchasing it as they are able to---that'll do a fair bit of damage in terms of drowning out senseless detractors.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bocc Kob posted:

Man, I want to get inside that guy's head and walk around for an hour.
Somehow I think a full tour would take ten minutes, tops.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

the least weasel posted:

Well again that wasn't particularly my point but whatever.
I fear that your points, however valid or invalid, were lost when you only started speaking about them after insulting everyone in the thread. You know that's not the best way to get an intelligent discussion started. Your later posts seemed to be genuinely interested in getting the thread to allow dissenting opinions, but do you really think the best way to accomplish that goal is to start off by deriding everyone and calling them immature?

The guy doesn't like dubs. That's okay, neither does anyone here, really. I don't think anyone here has held back when offering their opinion of the dubs for the show. The difference, I feel, is that no one here is so offended by their mere presence that they will refuse to consider the other merits of the set.

He also doesn't like the games blog Kotaku, and again, I don't think anyone here really likes Kotaku either. It's just that people here aren't willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater simply because Kotaku has a tangential role in the DVD set.

But those are his opinions and I have no problem with them or his sharing them. What rubbed me the wrong way was his textbook case of Entitled Internet User. Suggesting that because zari-gani has made some of her subtitles available for free that no one should ever consider compensating her for other work she does is insane. "THEN WHY SHOULD YOU BE PAYING FOR IT!?" How about because sometimes people do things for free and sometimes they don't.

Anyway, you wanted us to have a discussion while respecting dissenting opinions. The problem is that most of his opinions aren't all that dissenting, it's just that he has a very poor attitude, a childish sense of entitlement, and a very distorted view of the way things work. He openly encourages a boycott-via-piracy of a product that someone in this small community has been instrumental in making. That's what has everyone so riled up, and I hope my comments have made the situation clearer for you.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Volfogg posted:

- This had to happen. NOBODY outside of people that actually want to watch foreign media want to read subtitles.

Are zari-gani's subtitles not included now on the North American DVD? I heard that they were going to put them in as an option, but everybody's talking like the Kotaku version is the only option on the DVD now.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Tewratomeh posted:

Are zari-gani's subtitles not included now on the North American DVD? I heard that they were going to put them in as an option, but everybody's talking like the Kotaku version is the only option on the DVD now.

No. It's that (about two) people are complaining that the Kotaku version is even on there; so yes, zari-gani's subtitles are on there. A simple case of the overly vocal minority.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
So if this US DVD release sells well (and signs seem to be pointing in that direction), who's to say that, should another volume come down the pike, that the Discotek folks don't just stick someone in a jumpsuit, send them around to whatever arcades happen to still be open in the area (As Discotek is a product of the ADV fallout, I want to say their offices are in Austin?), and film their own TamaGe as bonus features?

Pipe dream, I know, but it's my favorite segment, by far. It's all about discovery and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
That would probably be the greatest thing in the world :swoon: