Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Started watching Community over the past month, wish I would have gotten into it sooner. It's the closest a live-action sitcom has come to capturing the essence of classic era Simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Been going through two at the moment.

Still Game, a classic Scottish sitcom. If you can decipher the accents, every episode is on YouTube.

Arrested Development. I'd heard so much hype for it, and now I see why. It's absolutely razor-sharp.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
I watched the first season of Continuum in like 2 days. It was pretty solid for a sci-fi serial. Only 10 eps in the first season.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Currently rewatching The West Wing, which I haven't seen since it first aired, and loving the heck out of these early seasons.

Which is why it was such a cool and pleasant surprise to find out most of the cast reunited for a political ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52FLMOPSig

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Finally getting around to watching Battlestar Galactica. I watched caprica, I was sad it got cancelled or whatever.

The show for me is like Stargate Universe meets Oregon Trail. (yes I am aware of the chronological problems with this statement)

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm about 7 episodes deep into Homeland and it's really pretty awesome. Claire Danes is just as good as everybody has said, but I'm kind of missing the whole bit with her anti psychotic meds . I haven't seen anything so far to imply that she really needs them, does this become more of a thing as the season wraps up?

I'll admit, it's about 4:30AM here and generally speaking I've been watching the show more or less hammered drunk. So it's not outside the realm of possibility that I've missed quite a bit, but that side of her character has really not come through for me at all.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

JLightning posted:

I'm about 7 episodes deep into Homeland and it's really pretty awesome. Claire Danes is just as good as everybody has said, but I'm kind of missing the whole bit with her anti psychotic meds . I haven't seen anything so far to imply that she really needs them, does this become more of a thing as the season wraps up?

I'll admit, it's about 4:30AM here and generally speaking I've been watching the show more or less hammered drunk. So it's not outside the realm of possibility that I've missed quite a bit, but that side of her character has really not come through for me at all.

Keep watching. All that stuff gets addressed.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I just blew through Once upon a time. It popped up on Netflix last weekend I did the whole series in two days. Great show.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I've finally stopped resisting the peer pressure and tried meth...I mean Breaking Bad. Just as addictive, but better for my complexion.

Amplicon
Apr 27, 2011

Captain Obvious
Thank you for pointing out Once upon a time. I watched the better half of season 1 this weekend. Loving it so far.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Starting my free month of Netflix and blew through the first season of How I Met Your Mother. I had never even seen an episode of it beforehand, but the recommendation engine said that it should straight up be my favorite thing on TV. It's not, but it's pretty high up there.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
So, uh, yeah...V got pretty ridiculous. I'll always cherish my initial misconceptions.

Oh well, rolling through Parks and Rec now.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Just finished season 1 of Fringe.

Thoughts:

--Olivia, you are bland as poo poo, but you are serviceable. The actual writing of the character is what I like most, so hopefully the actress steps her game up in S2. Also, the on and off sister subplot is going gently caress-all anywhere, what the hell is up with that. If that's going somewhere, I don't care.

--Walter is a much better character when played seriously and not as the aloof/eccentric/crazy dude i.e. comic relief. Everytime I hear something like, "I have an erection" or "I have to tinkle" or "Two Things:" where you say the first thing that relates to the case and the second thing is some off the wall poo poo that makes the other characters (and myself) groan BLOWS. I bet I'm in the minority here, but I hated it. More power to the writers were they to eliminate this entirely as they mostly did towards the end of S1.

--Peter's days of basically responding to Walter's aloofness / being Walter's translator / having plot-advancing "connections" are hopefully over as they seemed to be towards the end of the S1. I can get behind him having a far greater role here and with the tombstone reveal, I'm sure he will...speaking of which, they should have ended the season there instead of what we got...my thoughts on that in a minute.

--Charlie sounds like Matt Dillon to me and it is distracting as poo poo. Other than that, he is boss. I'm glad they treat the FBI on this show as not-complete gently caress ups.

--Broyles/Lt. Daniels, you are a badass. You should be in every scene, no lie.

--Sandford Harris, you are gone, but you are forgotten. That character is perhaps the most shoehorned-in antagonist in all of television and easily the worst part of the show.

--Despite how off the rails the last episode went as far as getting into the show's mythology, it's still gripping and I'm curious to see where it goes. I can't help but to have rolled my eyes throughout that whole sequence of scenes where Olivia goes through all the boxes of old cases to find out where they're trying to open the window and then Nina explained the soft spots. That whole thing was not handled well, but maybe it's just me. When they kept trying to show the patterns on the map and filling in the lines I was all :geno:

"oh all the lines point here"
"that's where they're going"

No poo poo.

--And last but not least, the very last scene was so loving bad, but to be fair to the show, it was mostly because of the context that I saw it in. When it panned out to show the WTC, I immediately thought of that Remember Me movie and it's 9/11 reveal scene and couldn't help but relate the two...it could have been redeemed with "Yakety Sax", but no :froggonk:

Again, not the show's fault, but still even considering it despite all of that I think it still blew chunks. Just hated it.

Nimoy as Bell was cool I guess...I'm not even remotely a fan of Star Trek, though, so I'm sure that was cooler for the fans. Bleh.

Overall, good show, onto season 2.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Mr. Sloth posted:

Just finished season 1 of Fringe.

Thoughts:

--Olivia, you are bland as poo poo, but you are serviceable. The actual writing of the character is what I like most, so hopefully the actress steps her game up in S2. Also, the on and off sister subplot is going gently caress-all anywhere, what the hell is up with that. If that's going somewhere, I don't care.

Overall, good show, onto season 2.

First off, glad you enjoyed season 1 mostly - I would say it's definitely the weakest Fringe season, and that you should be feeling great about powering through it because the next 3 seasons range from very good to fantastic, by and large. Season 1 is really the only period of time where the show had fundamental issues that it needed to work out - there's maybe a bit of stumbling early in season 2, but about halfway through it just kicks it into overdrive and has never looked back since.

And remember you said that about how bland Olivia is, because both the character AND the actress, Anna Torv, are about to surprise the ever-loving poo poo out of you. To me, one of the most incredibly exciting and fun things about watching Fringe was being able to watch Olivia/Torv go from "Agent Boring" whom I constantly made fun of in season 1 for being a cardboard cutout... To being arguably my favorite female lead on television over the past few years. She just really, really steps up her game, and (slight non-specific Fringe spoiler) goes on to play a downright dizzying array of variations on her character, impressing the hell out of me in every case in so many ways. It's honestly pretty stunning, especially when you consider how she started out on the show, and how I was predisposed to actively dislike her after that. And she still turned me into an ardent fan.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah it's crazy how much I've turned around on Olivia since season one. She's the best

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

I just recently started watching The X-Files, and plowed through season 1. I thought it was great, but I heard that the quality takes a massive nosedive towards the end of the show. Is there a point where I should cut my losses and pretend it ended there, or is it good enough to finish anyways?

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Van Kraken posted:

I just recently started watching The X-Files, and plowed through season 1. I thought it was great, but I heard that the quality takes a massive nosedive towards the end of the show. Is there a point where I should cut my losses and pretend it ended there, or is it good enough to finish anyways?

The myth arc gets very convoluted after season 5 or so, but seasons 6 and 7 are well worth watching for some of the best MotW episodes the series has produced. Impressions of season 8 and 9 range from terrible to mediocre, but even 8 and 9 has some MotW gems. But without spoiling anything, that is when the myth arc becomes very confusing, unorganized, and sometimes downright stupid. And don't get me started on the series finale. But if you love the show up until that point, I would recommend seeing it all through. You can always just erase it from your memory and remember the good parts of those seasons.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I still haven't seen those last two seasons of X-Files, and I loved that show for years.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 25, 2012

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
X-files: When moulder isn't in it anymore(season 6+) is when it changes in style. But to be honest, to compare how it changes to how modern shows nosedive, relatively, it is fine. Just watch the show all the way through, it's a great show and I have such great memories from childhood and teens from this show. Better yet, it stands up over time, because it didn't rely on special effect CGI.

I just finished the first season of Vampire Diaries. It has such a stupid cliche premise, but it's so good. It only improves over time. I hope season 2 is just as good. Is it?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Lascivious Sloth posted:

X-files: When moulder isn't in it anymore(season 6+) is when it changes in style.

Isn't that more like season 8+, or do I remember that completely wrong?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I think 6 is around the time of the film, which is also when it goes widescreen. I don't care for the non-Mulder/Scully seasons much myself, but X-Files as a whole holds up way better than most other shows from that era.

Hamburglar
Sep 19, 2012
The Young Ones. I wasn't alive when the show was on the air so it is as pleasant as it is slapstick!

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT
I'm about to finish the 6th season of The Shield. Or, as I like to think of it, the NO, SHANE, NO! show.

It's amazing in general, but I am concerned about the quality of Katey Sagal's sex life because according to Kurt Sutter sex consists of 2 seconds of face-smashing kisses followed by penis in vagina.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

solovyov posted:

I'm about to finish the 6th season of The Shield. Or, as I like to think of it, the NO, SHANE, NO! show.

It's amazing in general, but I am concerned about the quality of Katey Sagal's sex life because according to Kurt Sutter sex consists of 2 seconds of face-smashing kisses followed by penis in vagina.

Man, I wish I could watch The Shield again for the first time...

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Gilmore Girls.

Shits funny. Seriously.

DONT JUDGE ME.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gilmore Girls is a great show. Just wish it was on Netflix

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I finally started watching The Wire thanks to infinite suggestions on this forum. Already hooked, but the price on Apple TV is ridiculous. $30+ for one season of a show that aired in 2002? I can get almost two months of HBO Canada for that. :saddowns:

On the bright side, maybe they'll finally put season 2 of Game of Thrones on Apple TV Canada by the time I'm done with it.

Why does HBO hate Canada and/or why does Shaw (cable provider) hate HBO :(

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Gilmore Girls is a great show. Just wish it was on Netflix

I kind of stopped a little way into season 6. It was great until then but it just got a bit boring, and from what I hear about the last couple of seasons some of the story arcs get a little ridiculous.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll definitely watch at least the first 7 seasons, then see just how badly I want to watch more.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

So I picked up Seinfeld, which I had never previously seen more than a 30 second clip of. I just started watching it on season 5 to see if I liked it, but I think I do. Occasionally too sitcommy, but all of the characters are hilarious and each episode seems so tightly written. Also provides a comfortable throwback to the 90s in a way I can't quite put my finger on.

Worth it to go back and start from season 1?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ror posted:

So I picked up Seinfeld, which I had never previously seen more than a 30 second clip of. I just started watching it on season 5 to see if I liked it, but I think I do. Occasionally too sitcommy, but all of the characters are hilarious and each episode seems so tightly written. Also provides a comfortable throwback to the 90s in a way I can't quite put my finger on.

Worth it to go back and start from season 1?

You're gonna watch it all eventually, might as well start from the start. You can pick up on the character arcs and watch the late 80s transition into the early 90s!

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

richardfun posted:

Man, I wish I could watch The Shield again for the first time...

Please forgive me, I just need to leave this here...

JFC SHANE!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

leidend posted:

I finally started watching The Wire thanks to infinite suggestions on this forum. Already hooked, but the price on Apple TV is ridiculous. $30+ for one season of a show that aired in 2002? I can get almost two months of HBO Canada for that. :saddowns:

On the bright side, maybe they'll finally put season 2 of Game of Thrones on Apple TV Canada by the time I'm done with it.

Why does HBO hate Canada and/or why does Shaw (cable provider) hate HBO :(

You can find the DVDs for $30 at HMV or Future Shop. (the show will more than likely never be released on blu-ray)

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy
I want to add that I always end up ripping through Blackadder and I'm with Busey every ~3 years. I know Blackadder the goon has posted in here so I'm sure it's been mentioned already :cheers:

Speaking of what's been mentioned, I agree with everyone/anyone who binged through QI, Venture Bros. and Arrested Development. East Bound and Down is also a common one, where people just finish all of season 1 ASAP even if you hate baseball.

e: Completely forgot to mention Garth Marenghi's Darkplace and Snuff Box even if you only watch for Matt Berry's voice :allears:

PosSibley fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 26, 2012

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

PosSibley posted:

Snuff Box even if you only watch for Matt Berry's voice :allears:

Snuff Box becomes a much better show if you try to skip as many Rich Fulcher scenes as possible. He's a gigantic anchor, in both senses.

Ghost Toast
Nov 4, 2005

I loved The IT Crowd when I saw it a couple of years ago, but only just discovered that Graham Linehan's other shows are all loving hilarious.

Black Books didn't take me but three days to get through this past week and I loved every minute of it. One of my favorite comedy series, for sure.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Just finished American Horror Story. I can see how it would fall apart under an episode-a-week level of scrutiny, but taken in all at once it's a batshit crazy thrill ride of horror and really good acting, and it's a self contained story if you prefer watching shows that are already over.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I just cannonballed Person of Interest, second season starts this week. It starts off ok, but the second half of the first season is some drat impressive tv.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

PosSibley posted:

I want to add that I always end up ripping through Blackadder and I'm with Busey every ~3 years. I know Blackadder the goon has posted in here so I'm sure it's been mentioned already :cheers:

Speaking of what's been mentioned, I agree with everyone/anyone who binged through QI, Venture Bros. and Arrested Development. East Bound and Down is also a common one, where people just finish all of season 1 ASAP even if you hate baseball.

e: Completely forgot to mention Garth Marenghi's Darkplace and Snuff Box even if you only watch for Matt Berry's voice :allears:

Darkplace and Snuff Box are so fantastic.

And if you like those, Darkplace has a somewhat sequel - Man to Man with Dean Learner. It's a gentleman's show hosted by Dean Learner (the same Dean from the Darkplace interviews), interviewing a new 'celebrity' each week (always played by Matt Holness, but as Garth Marenghi in the first episode).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Top Gear (UK). I'm tackling the shows with the challenges/adventures first because that's what I'm most interested in.

I love this show.