Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Kaiho posted:

Indian pig-out that's actually nice? Can't go wrong with the oft-repeated Tayyaabs.

I'm of the opinion that you can't get decent fish and chips in London. I'm not even English but I think that, and my Northern friends agree. That said, the fish and chips at the White Horse SW6 (Sloany Pony) looked pretty drat impressive the last time I was there, though they do funny things with their chips. The beer selection is ace though. Hit me up if you want to go there, I'll gladly drink (with a fellow brewer no less).

I just might take you up on that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
A friend of mine raves about Kerbisher & Malt but I haven't been.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Kerbisher & Malt seem a bit too far out of the downtown area for us to attempt. Tayyabs has some awful reviews online. Any truth or just whine?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

BlueGrot posted:

Kerbisher & Malt seem a bit too far out of the downtown area for us to attempt. Tayyabs has some awful reviews online. Any truth or just whine?

Probably people moaning because they aren't pampered. Go to neetos instead though, a regular ITT rates it better as its the old chef at tayabs who set his own place up.

Also go to brasserie zedel

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Brasserie Zedel looks quite nice!

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

May I recommend the Laughing Halibut near Westminster/St James Park for good quality traditional fish and chips.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Yes you may. Thank you.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The fryers delight on theobalds road is a proper traditional chippy where they cook everything in beef dripping but it's a bit out the way and i haven't been there for a while so i'm not sure what it's like nowadays. Probably worth marking down if you ever find yourself around there though.

Xarr
Oct 20, 2008

BlueGrot posted:

So I'll be in London for a weekend in November. Want to try getting a table at Burger & Lobster, but I'm also looking for a good fish & chips place. Preferably near Kensington. Any advice?

Edit: Indian food recommendations also wanted.

Edit 2: All recommendations wanted. My last trip to London was exquisite dining and this time I want good pig out spots as well.

Burger and Lobster, go to Soho, if you need to wait there are plenty of good bars, either the French House or Marks Bar at Hix are my faves or Graphic if you a gin fiend.

Fish and chips, try Geales (http://www.geales.com/), bit posh but good.

Indian, has to be Tayyabs, book a table (you'll still wait but for less time), buy beer from Tesco round the corner (its BYOB) and enjoy. Ignore reviews, there are more good than bad. Its not a fine dining, bring your parents kind of place, its heaving and a little mad but the lamb chops and dry meat are so good.

MeatMarket/Liquor, Bodeans, Pitt Cue Co and cheap lunchtime dim sum at the New World at the end of Gerrard Street are my go to pig out joints. 2am salt beef bagels at Beigel Bake are also a must, though as the are open 24/7 anytime is good. The Big Easy in Chelsea is worth a trip to if you want that sort of thing.

Regency Cafe for a greasy spoon.

I had thai at KaoSarn in Brixton village recently, the moo ping and the kho pad kra-proaw (with beef and make it spicy) were amazing. Its BYOB and we had to queue for a bit on a friday night but it was so worth it, the food was fantastic and we ate loads of food for £15 a head (plus beer). Brixton Village is worth the trip to on a Friday/Saturday, great atmosphere, loads of little places and all sort of food.

http://www.boqueriatapas.com/ Boqueria for tapas, good value, a nice range of food, a cheap winelist and the bar is nice and buzzy to sit at.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Managed to score a free breakfast at Wahaca Charlotte Street this weekend as part of their opening. If their other food is anything to go by it's going to be delicious!

:)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Managed to score a free breakfast at Wahaca Charlotte Street this weekend as part of their opening. If their other food is anything to go by it's going to be delicious!

:)

I walked past it yesterday and saw that it had opened. How's you wangle that? I'd love a free lunch! (Although they do say there's no such thing...)

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Free breakfast! New menu!

I follow their twitter and it had a link to sign up. 50 places went in about 2 minutes though. They're doing it Saturday and Sunday.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Benito's Hat and now a Wahaca in the same place. Does that burrito stand still rock up in the courtyard at lunchtime? Oh god I wish I still worked on Charlotte Street. :(

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Tried Seasons in Stroud Green the other night - loads of potential but the food just fell flat, although my miso-glazed aubergine was really wonderful, the blackberry eton mess had far too little meringue, and the starter of beets and goat curd had too little cheese and too many watery beets.

Had a very decent dinner in Kulu Kulu the following day though, although I've still not managed to replace my favourite long-lost central sushi joint, Okawari :sigh:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
The Gate is (unsurprisingly) booked up for the night, so it looks like I'll be visiting Gojo*!

*If I can find it, which is supposed to be difficult. I asked the lady on the phone and all she said was "near the station under the off-licence."

EDIT: I found it!! It really is just a stairwell leading under an off-license. Three of us went and we had 3 samosa, vegetarian selection (cabbage and potato, red lentils, green beans, spinach (they said spinach, I suspect it was a darker green leaf), yellow bean stew) and shiro wot. I had a cup of tea afterwords.

The vege selection was impeccable. The two people I was with didn't care for the spinach, but I loved it. The misir wot (red lentils) were absolutely incredible. Super rich and nice and spicy, perfect accompaniment to the more mild dishes. I've had much better shiro wot, but the injera was second only to the stuff I had in Addis Ababa.

It was a TON of food, and we struggled to get through it all. The two people I was with had never had Ethiopian food before and they absolutely loved it. We shared a bottle of wine we got from the off license. All told, the three of us ate and drank for £24. Best. Value. Ever.

angor fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 1, 2012

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

angor posted:

The Gate is (unsurprisingly) booked up for the night, so it looks like I'll be visiting Gojo*!

*If I can find it, which is supposed to be difficult. I asked the lady on the phone and all she said was "near the station under the off-licence."

EDIT: I found it!! It really is just a stairwell leading under an off-license. Three of us went and we had 3 samosa, vegetarian selection (cabbage and potato, red lentils, green beans, spinach (they said spinach, I suspect it was a darker green leaf), yellow bean stew) and shiro wot. I had a cup of tea afterwords.

The vege selection was impeccable. The two people I was with didn't care for the spinach, but I loved it. The misir wot (red lentils) were absolutely incredible. Super rich and nice and spicy, perfect accompaniment to the more mild dishes. I've had much better shiro wot, but the injera was second only to the stuff I had in Addis Ababa.

It was a TON of food, and we struggled to get through it all. The two people I was with had never had Ethiopian food before and they absolutely loved it. We shared a bottle of wine we got from the off license. All told, the three of us ate and drank for £24. Best. Value. Ever.

Glad you enjoyed Gojo, I found it through a fellow goon and we've been going regularly. The staff are so nice and the food is so cheap and delicious. The other day a meal for 4 cost £30, although we didn't have any alcohol.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

Tried Seasons in Stroud Green the other night - loads of potential but the food just fell flat, although my miso-glazed aubergine was really wonderful, the blackberry eton mess had far too little meringue, and the starter of beets and goat curd had too little cheese and too many watery beets.

Had a very decent dinner in Kulu Kulu the following day though, although I've still not managed to replace my favourite long-lost central sushi joint, Okawari :sigh:
How disappointing. I've had very good meals at Season. Did you have the chocolate rosemary pot pudding?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

No, I didn't! I have to say I liked the atmosphere a lot though, and the staff were very friendly. It's just a pity that they aaaaaaalmost had it right, only for it all to fail at the final hurdle.

That said, I wouldn't rule out going back there, though would be interested in trying the other restaurants in the area, like that Lebanese place across the street or Cat's (which is Thai I believe..)

I'm still absolutely in love with Vagabonds coffee in the area by the way, I highly recommend it if you're in N4 and need to pass some time or get some much needed caffiene. I go every weekend now (spending way too much money on coffee, the middle-class-20-something-London way)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

No, I didn't! I have to say I liked the atmosphere a lot though, and the staff were very friendly. It's just a pity that they aaaaaaalmost had it right, only for it all to fail at the final hurdle.

That said, I wouldn't rule out going back there, though would be interested in trying the other restaurants in the area, like that Lebanese place across the street or Cat's (which is Thai I believe..)

I'm still absolutely in love with Vagabonds coffee in the area by the way, I highly recommend it if you're in N4 and need to pass some time or get some much needed caffiene. I go every weekend now (spending way too much money on coffee, the middle-class-20-something-London way)
I think between my wife and I we go to Vagabond every day! The hot choc is amazing too, as are the warm cookies. The pastries could be better.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Went to Kerbisher & Malt in Ealing Broadway on Saturday (there is also a branch in Shepherds Bush) and it was definitely in the top three best fish and chip meals I've ever had. I'm from NZ and we're big on fish and chips so this is really saying something. The whole meal came to less than a tenner and the portions were HUGE.

Must go back soon.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

^^ Awesome, loads of people ask for fish and chip recommendations and so few people have any to give! I'm terrible for advice on fish and chips as well, the only thing I'm after with my chips is that they are soggy, soaked in salt, vinegar and ketchup and wrapped in paper - then I'm happy.

therattle posted:

I think between my wife and I we go to Vagabond every day! The hot choc is amazing too, as are the warm cookies. The pastries could be better.

Seriously, you guys should look out for me on Saturday or Sunday mornings. Red hair, ear piercings, on my own, probably smoking or reading. Goon coffee shop meet! Say hi to me sometime. I basically go to chat to the locals (and the hot baristas) anyway!

Agreed about the hot chocolate.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

^^ Awesome, loads of people ask for fish and chip recommendations and so few people have any to give! I'm terrible for advice on fish and chips as well, the only thing I'm after with my chips is that they are soggy, soaked in salt, vinegar and ketchup and wrapped in paper - then I'm happy.

Seriously, you guys should look out for me on Saturday or Sunday mornings. Red hair, ear piercings, on my own, probably smoking or reading. Goon coffee shop meet! Say hi to me sometime. I basically go to chat to the locals (and the hot baristas) anyway!

Agreed about the hot chocolate.

Right! I'll ask you if you have stairs in your house! I'll probably be pushing an oversized pram.

love 2 text my friends
Jun 30, 2004

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Went to Kerbisher & Malt in Ealing Broadway on Saturday (there is also a branch in Shepherds Bush) and it was definitely in the top three best fish and chip meals I've ever had.
I didn't know they had a branch in Ealing Broadway; definitely going to try them out soon. Is there a Fentiman's equivalent to Tizer?

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Don't know but the rose lemonade was off the hook.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

This is pretty cool and looks useful!. I can't try it though since my iphone got stolen out my back pocket in May

"You are craving for pizza but you don't know where to go? London is a big town and now you can easily find your way to proper pizza using your iPhone."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Now they need to make one for Chinese.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

tentish klown posted:

Which is why it's also known as the Sloaney Pony.

Don't let this put you off, the beer alone is enough to make it worth a visit, and the food wasn't awful (if a little expensive). One of my favourite pubs I've been to since I moved over from Australia.

pointsofdata posted:

I've just moved to an even dodgier part of camden to where I was previously. I still don't know anywhere good to eat nearby either, are there any good restaurants within a 10 minute walk of say Camden Town station?

Yum Cha Silks & Spice isn't too bad (opposite Stables), but only when you go on Mon / Tue / Wed when everything is half price. There's also a decent Pho place a few doors down called Thanh Binh, which tries to hard to be fancier than it is, but the prices are still reasonable and the food okay.

Hache, as mentioned in this thread has good 'gourmet' style burgers. Avoid the peanut butter burger though, first few bites are great and then it goes downhill from there.

Also a big fan of Market, which is up past the Jazz Cafe. Have been there twice and both times the food has been nice and simply and tasty. Probably not worth the price, but it's one of the few nicer restraurants near the station that doesn't suck.

I loved Mango Room (next door to the big Sainsbury's) the first time I went there, but have been less impressed both times I've been back since. Again, food is decent, but doesn't justify the price. The cocktails were nice and strong though, and I like the atmosphere.

Made in Camden (at the roundhouse) has a nice breakfast menu, however I haven't heard very much for its lunch/dinner offerings.

I enjoyed the food at the Blues Kitchen. It's not the best BBQ around, but if you are there for the music or bar then I wouldn't hesitate about grabbing some food as well.

For chains, there is a Masala Zone, Byron and a Diner all within a stones-throw of the station which you may or may not be interested in.

For drinks, Brewdog is awesome for the beer (although it is always packed), and the Spread Eagle has some decent beer and cider on tap and doesn't have Sky so it's always a good shout if you want to avoid the football crowds.

tl,dr: Don't come to Camden for the food, but there are places to eat if you heading in for a night out and want to eat somewhere Not poo poo beforehand.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Birthday dinner at Ledbury tonight. 9 course vegetarian tasting with wine pairing. SO. loving. EXCITED.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

angor posted:

Birthday dinner at Ledbury tonight. 9 course vegetarian tasting with wine pairing. SO. loving. EXCITED.

SO. loving. JEALOUS.

Took my parnets there for my father's 70th birthday, because they just wouldn't have eaten somewhere like that (they live in South Africa). One of the best meals I've ever had, and it was as much to do with the experience. It's very pleasantly friendly and unpretentious. I've also had the Sunday lunch. Both times the sommelier has been the same woman, who is absolutely excellent.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Bumping this so that you are all aware that Koya is doing their spiced venison udon special at the moment. All the food there is very good, but this is a truly exceptional dish.

Ate at Brasserie Blanc in Charlotte St the other day: starters and pudding excellent, mains slightly disappointing.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

:negative:

God I wish I had money to eat out. I still haven't been to Koya, Spuntino, Meat Liquor, etc... it's all gonna be old hat as gently caress soon too.

Edit: Contentwise, I really enjoyed this post on North London local restaurants. Still badly need to go to 500 as well, on top of all the rest. Argh.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Bleh, all these all the meat all the time faux speakeasy cheap American diner food made spendy pits can gently caress right off. Koya however is excellent :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hawksmoor Air Street is having a soft opening from 22nd October to 31st. Email airstreet@thehawksmoor.com with name, date, lunch/dinner, number of guests and phone number. It's 50% off during the soft opening so worth a definite look.

Also, the famed short rib French dip is coming to Seven Dials~~~!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Neris posted:

Contentwise, I really enjoyed this post on North London local restaurants. Still badly need to go to 500 as well, on top of all the rest. Argh.

Thanks for this. I'm planning to go to The Bull & Last next time I wander up to Highgate Cemetery.

Also starting to worry about Kentish Town getting so trendy, I had this little hope that I could stay here once I graduated, but I bet my rent is going to go way up now :smith:

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 25, 2012

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

madlilnerd posted:

Thanks for this. I'm planning to go to The Bull & Last next time I wander up to Highgate Cemetery.

Also starting to worry about Kentish Town getting so trendy, I had this little hope that I could stay here once I graduated, but I bet my rent is going to go way up now :smith:

No poo poo, every chain seems to have opened up in Kentish Town recently. It's convenient but the area is just not all that fun anymore. There's only a few shops I really still like there, like Phoenicia which is an amazing Mediterranean supermarket.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Oh my god yes! Their baklava counter is like something out of a fantasy. Every time I walk past I can't help doing this dreamy drooly sigh. I also really like the hippy supermarket- Whole Earth? A lot of the stuff they sell is actually a very reasonable price, including their loose grains and teas, and the staff have never been snobby at me.
Arancini Factory is my other favourite spot; it's just a perfect little café, although too pricey for my student budget. They have the kind of antipodean waitresses that jump into your conversation while they serve you, which I actually quite like because it reminds you that everyone can hear your loud public conversation.

I don't like the butchers on Kentish Town Road though, the guy in there last time I went was just really half assed and didn't seem to care about what he was selling me. Maybe I'm a primadonna but when I walk into an empty butchers and say "Hi, I'm cooking a chicken dinner for 5 people tonight, what have you got?" I expect some kind of conversation along the lines of "this one is free range, this one is just a standard chicken, this one is extra large" not just a hand wave at the counter.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

madlilnerd posted:

Oh my god yes! Their baklava counter is like something out of a fantasy. Every time I walk past I can't help doing this dreamy drooly sigh. I also really like the hippy supermarket- Whole Earth? A lot of the stuff they sell is actually a very reasonable price, including their loose grains and teas, and the staff have never been snobby at me.
Arancini Factory is my other favourite spot; it's just a perfect little café, although too pricey for my student budget. They have the kind of antipodean waitresses that jump into your conversation while they serve you, which I actually quite like because it reminds you that everyone can hear your loud public conversation.

I don't like the butchers on Kentish Town Road though, the guy in there last time I went was just really half assed and didn't seem to care about what he was selling me. Maybe I'm a primadonna but when I walk into an empty butchers and say "Hi, I'm cooking a chicken dinner for 5 people tonight, what have you got?" I expect some kind of conversation along the lines of "this one is free range, this one is just a standard chicken, this one is extra large" not just a hand wave at the counter.

I still haven't been to Chicken Shop which I'm really looking forward to - last time I tried to go it was a Sunday and they were shut.
Never been to Arancini factory, but it's on the list of stuff to try when I get around to it. I'm further up towards the station so it's a little out of the way compared to, say, the kebab shop, so it always comes second choice.

As for that butchers... The last and only time (for a while) that I went in there I looked at a chicken, bought it, and then realised I had just agreed to pay £16 for a chicken.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

madlilnerd posted:

Honestly, I live in Highgate, and nearish to The Bull and Last, and it's not THAT good, certainly not crap. The Wrestlers nearly opposite is a better pub, and does a better sunday roast for cheaper, if you can get a seat.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Spuckuk posted:

Honestly, I live in Highgate, and nearish to The Bull and Last, and it's not THAT good, certainly not crap. The Wrestlers nearly opposite is a better pub, and does a better sunday roast for cheaper, if you can get a seat.

Yay for the Wrestlers, although I haven't eaten there yet. Will try very soon. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

tentish klown posted:

As for that butchers... The last and only time (for a while) that I went in there I looked at a chicken, bought it, and then realised I had just agreed to pay £16 for a chicken.

The best chicken I ever had was a £14 gold standard free range job from Borough Market, but at least there the guy really sold it to me. He was really passionate about the meat and told me all about the producer. I only really eat meat for special occasions so I don't mind paying for something really special, but if you're trying to get me to buy something like that instead of a £3 Iceland chicken, you have to tell me why I should be buying this.

Also the antipasti I got from Kentish Town butcher leaked oil all over my bag and then my organic quinoa crackers were just ruined.

Has anyone been to Tapping the Admiral? I have been dreaming about doing a ale trail round my locale, starting with Euston Tap and ending with The Southampton Arms, with BrewDog and Tapping the Admiral en route.