Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I have a question for some people who may know places I do not. For years I've wanted a Landyachts Haida longboard. I grew up in the PNW and have a lot of fond memories of Haida Gwaii and it is frankly the most visually attractive board I have ever seen. The problem is, now that I'm in the position to afford it, it's not longer being sold. I've looked online everywhere and while I can find plenty of listings, none are in stock except for one place in the UK charging almost 200 for just the deck.

If anyone has any luck tracking one of these down either online or in person, please tell me! I'd love to get my hands on the deck alone, but even the whole thing could do. :shobon:

I looked around for it for you, but couldn't find much. This store seems to carry them but they're out of stock. They do have a nifty "notify me when you have it" button though.

http://kickflipboards.com/landyachtz-wedge-flex-haida-complete-longboard-44.html

This guy was listing one for sail, but he took down the listing because it didn't sell though. Looks like you can request he re-list it though.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=499028960

Sorry I was of no actual help here. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Froodulous posted:

This just got posted in the .gif thread in pyf. It's pretty cool.

Anything Koston does, with the exception of making his instagram feed being nothing but him flpping something off, is very interesting. I've personally never seen him do that before, but it was smooth as hell.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

FoxxorTheRed posted:

I looked around for it for you, but couldn't find much. This store seems to carry them but they're out of stock. They do have a nifty "notify me when you have it" button though.

http://kickflipboards.com/landyachtz-wedge-flex-haida-complete-longboard-44.html

This guy was listing one for sail, but he took down the listing because it didn't sell though. Looks like you can request he re-list it though.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=499028960

Sorry I was of no actual help here. :(

That's about the luck I've been having considering you found one in the UK and one in NZ. Thanks for looking around, if you ever stumble across one please tell me! :)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Just put Bones Reds and Bones 81a bushings in my Stereo and am blown away by how much better it is! I only spent about ten minutes riding out in my apartment's parking lot, but it feels so much better than it did with the stock pieces. The normal bushings felt straight out of a Wal-Mart board and one of the bushings was hosed within an hour (even the "good" ones would spin less than ten seconds). Totally worth the $20 investment.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If you're from Toronto or anywhere even remotely close join us on Saturday for the 10th annual Toronto Board Meeting.

Bring your longboard, pool deck, cruiser, street deck, dirt surfer, dress up in a white shirt and black tie and meet us at St. Clair Subway Station at 3pm (NOT St. Clair West)

We're expecting well over 1000 people this year to bum rush the streets of Toronto. Tons of free swag and giveaways to happen at the finish point. Sponsors hooked us up large this year!

Details: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Toronto-Board-Meeting/352114461487427?ref=ts

This is the most memorable skate event you've ever been to!

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Zigmidge posted:

If you're from Toronto or anywhere even remotely close join us on Saturday for the 10th annual Toronto Board Meeting.

Bring your longboard, pool deck, cruiser, street deck, dirt surfer, dress up in a white shirt and black tie and meet us at St. Clair Subway Station at 3pm (NOT St. Clair West)

We're expecting well over 1000 people this year to bum rush the streets of Toronto. Tons of free swag and giveaways to happen at the finish point. Sponsors hooked us up large this year!

Details: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Toronto-Board-Meeting/352114461487427?ref=ts

This is the most memorable skate event you've ever been to!

I went last year and yeah, it's pretty awesome. I'll be there.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

XIII posted:

Just put Bones Reds and Bones 81a bushings in my Stereo and am blown away by how much better it is! I only spent about ten minutes riding out in my apartment's parking lot, but it feels so much better than it did with the stock pieces. The normal bushings felt straight out of a Wal-Mart board and one of the bushings was hosed within an hour (even the "good" ones would spin less than ten seconds). Totally worth the $20 investment.
The stock Penny bushings are great, but thanks to this I threw some spare Reds I had sitting around in place of the stock bearings and holy crap this is the funnest thing I own.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Whalley posted:

The stock Penny bushings are great, but thanks to this I threw some spare Reds I had sitting around in place of the stock bearings and holy crap this is the funnest thing I own.

Yeah, Penny's bushings and bearings are way better than the Stereo's. I actually came really close to just ordering Penny bushing, because I knew I liked them, but I'm glad I went with the Bones instead.

Slap Dizzy
Jun 26, 2009

Hello peeps!

I'm completely new to the world of boarding and i'm absolutely hooked! Just a shame it took me 26 years to realize it! I have borrowed a cruiser from a friend and have been riding on it constantly the past week. I'm investing in a board of my own now. I want to go for downhill and sliding, while having the opportunity of doing some tricks when cruising.

My friend is riding a Loaded - Tan Tien, which I think is awesome and very smooth to ride. But I think it's pretty expensive. Do any of you know something similiar to go for, that's both affordable and decent quality??

Thanks guys!

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.
BC Longboards are great, and a lot cheaper than what Loaded offers. I used to ride an Eel and it was really fun. They also have an option to ship just the deck or a complete. Decks run for $120 which isn't bad considering I paid nearly 300 for my Loaded Bhangra.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
http://www.krackedskulls.com/ builds some high quality boards for great prices.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Speaking of small board companies:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arcane-Boards/179840842258?ref=ts
These guys have some cool shapes. I'd really like to try on of their boards.

Slap Dizzy
Jun 26, 2009

Mugmoor posted:

BC Longboards are great, and a lot cheaper than what Loaded offers. I used to ride an Eel and it was really fun. They also have an option to ship just the deck or a complete. Decks run for $120 which isn't bad considering I paid nearly 300 for my Loaded Bhangra.

I'm definitely starting out with the Moray. Reviews of it seem consistent and deck material used are as they should be, I reckon.

Thanks guys!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Despite being hype on it, I kind of forgot to watch the latest Slap One In A Million competition. Holy poo poo I wish I had, it's a loving trainwreck. They take these kids out to absolutely tear up some New York spots then decide who gets sent home on a high ollie contest, where the kid who shreds the hardest (lip-to-tre-out on a busted board, landing perfectly) gets sent home because he can't ollie that high. Then they force the kids to do a pizza delivery challenge and all the competitors are just like "what the hell this isn't skateboarding" before finally, one of the judges has a temper tantrum and declares there will be no winners and sends everyone home. loving hilarious.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2012/05/03/what-really-happened-with-slap%E2%80%99s-one-in-a-million%E2%80%A6-part-3/ Here's an interview with some of the kids and how they just thought it was a goddamn joke

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A_Riot_of_Colours posted:

Hello peeps!

I'm completely new to the world of boarding and i'm absolutely hooked! Just a shame it took me 26 years to realize it! I have borrowed a cruiser from a friend and have been riding on it constantly the past week. I'm investing in a board of my own now. I want to go for downhill and sliding, while having the opportunity of doing some tricks when cruising.

My friend is riding a Loaded - Tan Tien, which I think is awesome and very smooth to ride. But I think it's pretty expensive. Do any of you know something similiar to go for, that's both affordable and decent quality??

Thanks guys!

This is as cheap as it gets for what you're looking for...
http://www.earthwingskates.com/products/decks-a-completes.html#ecwid:category=2171079&mode=product&product=9127693

As for quality, I've had a Supermodel with a crack in the nose for the past two years. The crack is yet to grow or spread as far as I can tell. (I got the crack by curbing it pretty drat hard. Surprised it's not way worse.) It's a drop-through, so you most likely won't experience pressure cracks, unless you really gently caress up big time. I can't speak on behalf of the wheel flares, but I'm sure they'll hold up just fine.

Slap some Randal R2s on it, or Bear 852s and you're good to go.

Posting Muir's listing, because Earthwing is terrible at writing content. (They didn't even include length & width)

http://www.muirskate.com/longboard/decks/22881/Earthwing-Jesus-Paves-Deck-w-Grip.html

waste of internet fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 20, 2012

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Hi, skateboard thread. I can't say I ever thought I would do this but I fulfilled the dreams of my 12 year old self by finally committing to completing a skateboard build today. Having an adult job and a recent trip to Ocean Beach, CA finally inspired me to build something for cruising around on and trying to learn how to do basic stuff. I'm hoping it will help fill the snowboarding void for me since we have lovely hills and very little snow in Kansas City.

I feel bad not going to a local shop after reading the OP but I pieced together stuff from a few different places on the web to build a cheap board that I think is pretty decent (Alien Workshop 8.18" deck, Indy 149 trucks, Bones Reds, Habitat 52mm wheels) for around $80. Any help with what size hardware I will need for this? Were 52mm wheels a really dumb idea for street riding? I got them for almost nothing from Whiskey Militia. Did I miss anything?

resident fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 25, 2012

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Naw, 52's will work great dude. Depending on how you end up setting up your trucks you may end up needing 1/8 risers, and with that slightly longer hardware... but you should be able to pick up both without much trouble. Might not even need them.

Just have fun with it, and ride it as often as possible. You'll hit a rock, or a crack in the road and eat poo poo once and a while, but just learn how to fall and laugh at yourself and it'll all work out fine.

Practice a lot and don't get too discouraged by the little fuckers out there who shred balls. It's all for fun.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, over the last few weeks a buddy and I have made it a habit to go out skating at the local park (1hr drive for him, 10min drive for me) and, holy poo poo, am I enjoying it. Thankfully, I'm not having to start 100% from scratch, but I'm definitely a lot rusty. Like, dropping into the shallow section of the bowl (4ft) was a big thing, whereas I used to be able to drop in on a 9ft like it was nothing.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I haven't skated in years. What's the cheapest way to get back into this, short of buying a Wal-Mart board? :v:

I've been looking around online a bit, and it seems like most complete decks are $80-100. Are there any viable options for less? I suppose I could try assembling myself, but I don't know how much that will really save versus ordering a complete.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Try and get in touch with Rygar from https://www.skately.com he might hook you up with a discount on some quality goods.

Awesome selection too.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

There are also cheap lightly used boards on craigslist. I see basic complete setups that are almost brand new go for like $40

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Shhhhhh...watch David Gonzalez.

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/david-gonzalez-possessed-to-skate/

Slap Dizzy
Jun 26, 2009

waste of internet posted:

This is as cheap as it gets for what you're looking for...
http://www.earthwingskates.com/products/decks-a-completes.html#ecwid:category=2171079&mode=product&product=9127693

As for quality, I've had a Supermodel with a crack in the nose for the past two years. The crack is yet to grow or spread as far as I can tell. (I got the crack by curbing it pretty drat hard. Surprised it's not way worse.) It's a drop-through, so you most likely won't experience pressure cracks, unless you really gently caress up big time. I can't speak on behalf of the wheel flares, but I'm sure they'll hold up just fine.

Slap some Randal R2s on it, or Bear 852s and you're good to go.

Posting Muir's listing, because Earthwing is terrible at writing content. (They didn't even include length & width)

http://www.muirskate.com/longboard/decks/22881/Earthwing-Jesus-Paves-Deck-w-Grip.html

Thanks for the input. The Supermodel seems awesome, furthermore affordable. I'm going for the Moray, though!

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

That's like the heavy metal Yin to Nyjah Hustons hip hop Yang.

Edit: This https://vimeo.com/29813602 - gotta pay to see the whole thing, but totally worth it.

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 26, 2012

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

I love watching that guy skate. The year before last the X-Games put their concrete bowl skating pre-lims on demand via the Xbox app and he blew me away at those.

Not sure if anyone cares but the Shredit Cards thing I was posting about a bit back has a new highest score...and it's kind of hard to argue against giving the guy that honor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_700041&feature=iv&src_vid=h1uPL34i-yc&v=QbpT1c0OUVg

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Not sure if anyone cares but the Shredit Cards thing I was posting about a bit back has a new highest score...and it's kind of hard to argue against giving the guy that honor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_700041&feature=iv&src_vid=h1uPL34i-yc&v=QbpT1c0OUVg
I kinda wanna hang up my skateboard after that smith to feeble. Also, that dude lives in the most skateable place in the world apparently; I can't even work out why half the things in his city are built like they are except for skating.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

He's mindblowing. I wish I was that hardcore. He just keeps going for that rail...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Whalley posted:

I kinda wanna hang up my skateboard after that smith to feeble. Also, that dude lives in the most skateable place in the world apparently; I can't even work out why half the things in his city are built like they are except for skating.

If the youtube comments are correct he's in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

FoxxorTheRed posted:

He's mindblowing. I wish I was that hardcore. He just keeps going for that rail...
For me it's not the constant bails on that rail, it's the overall style. Like, look at the way he enters pools and ramps. The dude skates metal, he doesn't just skate TO metal.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hit up the park today and was SO amped up to skate. Last week I was pushing myself to commit to things, instead of being a baby and bailing before I even attempted to land, and it was working pretty well. So, I went out today with that same mindset. Of course, this means that I ate poo poo ridiculously hard in under the first five minutes. And, of course, it was on something ridiculously easy (simply rolling down the transition from the shallow part of the bowl to the deep part, granted I was coming in hot and rolling fakie). I'm pretty sure I hyper extended my elbow a little. I hit hard enough that I didn't have the energy to even get out of the bowl and, to make things worse, I slammed so hard I though I was going to puke (meaning trying to just puke down the drain in the center). Never really regained much confidence in myself today. Maybe next time.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Sometimes you just have those kinds of days.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I always get super hungry right after a good slam. Like I've been having so much fun for so long I haven't eaten in a while and then BOOM. The pain passes but then I feel like I'm gonna die if I don't get a burrito soon. I blame this and a very early-in-career ankle break for why I suck at everything.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I always get super hungry right after a good slam. Like I've been having so much fun for so long I haven't eaten in a while and then BOOM. The pain passes but then I feel like I'm gonna die if I don't get a burrito soon. I blame this and a very early-in-career ankle break for why I suck at everything.

A buddy (that talked me back into skating) owns a burrito and ice cream place, so, when we go skating, he always brings a big cooler full of drinks and an insulated lunch box packed full with burritos (like, 3 big ones per person). He's the best friend.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

What's up, hunger bail and ankle injury who kind of sucks at everything buddy. I snapped a tendon in mine and was in crutches for like nine months~

I did it jumping over a kid on a ten stair during my parkour phase

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Perhaps I should start a chain of First Aid/Replacement Part/Burrito carts to be stationed at various skate parks. "Bailritos"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a deck at my house that is mounted on steel i-beams that are set in a concrete slab. The deck overhangs the ravine that my property sits on.

Help Me: Convince my wife that the only course of action is to tear out the deck and install a 4" mini-ramp.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

tear out the deck and install a 4" mini-ramp.

Unless you are really good at riding tech-decks, you might want a much bigger ramp.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Perhaps I should start a chain of First Aid/Replacement Part/Burrito carts to be stationed at various skate parks. "Bailritos"
If you build it, I will come.

Bucket Joneses posted:

I have a deck at my house that is mounted on steel i-beams that are set in a concrete slab. The deck overhangs the ravine that my property sits on.

Help Me: Convince my wife that the only course of action is to tear out the deck and install a 4" mini-ramp.
"Listen, baby, no matter what, we're going to be spending hundreds of dollars to fix this deck, I mean LOOK at all these structural issues. Why not, instead of just making a regular deck, build a 4' mini? It can still be used for entertaining and stuff but on top of that, it's a ridiculously rad exercise system RIGHT NEXT to our house. The only way you would say no to this is if you don't love me and you're deliberately trying to find a way to hurt me. I'm not trying to manipulate you here, I'm just trying to state a fact. By denying this ravine miniramp, you're putting a wedge in our relationship purely to assert your own power, much as if I was to say you were no longer allowed to drive because hell, I can drive. So do you need me to get you your own board set up so we can do sweet layback-crail crossovers in the comfort of our own home?"

Batu
Nov 10, 2009
I was hoping for some advice with ollies. When I was little I could do an ollie standing still and I've picked that up quickly, but when I try it moving I just fall apart. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone have advice for moving ollies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Batu posted:

I was hoping for some advice with ollies. When I was little I could do an ollie standing still and I've picked that up quickly, but when I try it moving I just fall apart. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone have advice for moving ollies?

Start slow, increase gradually as you get more comfortable.