Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah the whole Marathon thing sounds like someone else needs to go in and recreate the behavior and everything from complete scratch instead of working with the original engine. Or at the very least have someone who feels free to play fast and loose with adherence to the original code, drop in stuff from other games for certain things (like how a lot of Doom source ports have extensive quakeworld code for multiplayer iirc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah the whole Marathon thing sounds like someone else needs to go in and recreate the behavior and everything from complete scratch instead of working with the original engine. Or at the very least have someone who feels free to play fast and loose with adherence to the original code, drop in stuff from other games for certain things (like how a lot of Doom source ports have extensive quakeworld code for multiplayer iirc).

The Marathon engine has a lot of bizarre behavioral idiosyncrasies that are, apparently, really drat difficult to reproduce -- see the XBLA Marathon 2 port. That game came close, but as was pointed out earlier, failed to get some game mechanics down right.

Being able to replicate original behavior 100% accurately would be super important since a lot of third-party maps rely on one idiosyncrasy or another to function properly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's nothing wrong with maintaining perfect compatibility with the original code. There's also nothing wrong with completely replacing a ton of poo poo to make things play nicer. Chocolate Doom and PRBoom -complevel 9 are basically 1:1 compatible with the original MS-DOS code, while ZDoom technically isn't actually Doom anymore and has some code to turn on obscure compatibility hacks for certain famous levels...

I suspect that its more that nobody on the Aleph One team has the time to do a fork. It sure would be nice if some of the XBLA code could be added, but that will never happen due to both licensing issues and the demise of Freeverse. :(

drat shame, I retried getting into Aleph One again recently, and the high FOV and wonky mouselook just hosed me up. :(

I'm probably going to be slipping a Marathon thing into the next Reelism, which should be fun. That'll be fun to try and emulate some of Marathon's eccentricities in a really different engine without any easy reference...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RyokoTK posted:

just the ability to turn off autoswitch causes multiplayer desynch.
That's normal. Switching is a player action. Autoswitching means it's done without player input. So if autoswitching is the norm, but it's turned off for one player, then that player upon picking up a new weapon will switch on the other computers...

It can be remedied of course, by taking account for it in the netcode, which means considering that autoswitch is off and then explicitly sending switching commands across the network if one picks up a weapon with autoswitch on. It's trivial to do, but it has to be done (and that can break network compatibility with the original exe, if it was a desired feature).

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Segmentation Fault posted:

Seeing as how it hasn't been mentioned in this thread for a while, I figure I'll link to it. Black Mesa Source, the (in)famous Half-Life 1 total-conversion mod for Source is out, and free (gratis, of course). You'll need the Source 2007 SDK Base to run it, however, but that's free and available on Steam.

The Soundtrack is available to download for free as well.

Ha ha, holy poo poo. It actually came out. First Duke Nukem Forever and now this. Truly, we are nearing the end times.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

JackMackerel posted:

Wait, people hated Quake 2? I hear much about it just as I do with Quake 3 and Q1.

Yes, a large part of the QuakeWorld multiplayer folks never adopted it. It sold well though and grabbed a new set of players.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

Ha ha, holy poo poo. It actually came out. First Duke Nukem Forever and now this. Truly, we are nearing the end times.

And unlike DNF, Black Mesa is actually good! Like, really good. HL2 quality, at the very least, with a ton of new content and details added.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

drat shame, I retried getting into Aleph One again recently, and the high FOV and wonky mouselook just hosed me up. :(

Drop this into your Scripts folder to fix the fov - you can edit it in notepad and change to whatever figure you want. Mouselook is fixable by playing around with the sensitivity a bit - I find halving the default values, then adding about another 1/3rd onto the vertical sensitivity hits the sweet spot.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The Kins posted:

I'm probably going to be slipping a Marathon thing into the next Reelism, which should be fun. That'll be fun to try and emulate some of Marathon's eccentricities in a really different engine without any easy reference...
The simplest one to do would be a Thank God It's You! (edit: alternatively, Frog Blast The Vent Core!) reel that spawns Assimilated BoBs. Mixing some weapons into the themed weapon packs would be neat, too, if you feel there's any gaps that need filling.

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 15, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DoombatINC posted:

The simplest one to do would be a Thank God It's You! (edit: alternatively, Frog Blast The Vent Core!) reel that spawns Assimilated BoBs. Mixing some weapons into the themed weapon packs would be neat, too, if you feel there's any gaps that need filling.
The original plan was to do a reel of Marathon 2 monsters, but I think we're going to cut it down to just BoBs because you should never, ever leave a single one alive. They'll probably be friendly to an extent because it's nice to have reels that don't give the player MORE trouble.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Reelism supports dual triggers, right? The Fusion Pistol and Assault Rifle would be good matches for that.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Does anyone know of doom/quake source ports that work with nVidia 3d vision? The 3d stuff works with pretty much anything that renders with DirectX, but all these source ports use OpenGL.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Dominic White posted:

And unlike DNF, Black Mesa is actually good! Like, really good. HL2 quality, at the very least, with a ton of new content and details added.

Man, I don't remember dying to Marines this much...

And I seriously hope the Source remakes of OpFor and Blue Shift reach the standard set by Black Mesa. And all we need is a remake of that incredibly decent/mediocre single player pack for CS:CZ.

(Also, that Blade Runner map for UT is amazing. If only it had proper waypoints, I'd enjoy fighting Skarrj on the streets of LA :v:)

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 16, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

JackMackerel posted:

Man, I don't remember dying to Marines this much...

They've definitely bumped up the strength of the marines, but they've also given you a lot more magnum ammo. Usually more than enough to deal with them. Cover is really useful. Crouch somewhere which covers most of your body and they'll do very little damage.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

There is plenty of magnum ammo (im close to Lambda labs now) and If you save it for marines is normally a one shot kill making your life much easier. The MP5 with grenade launcher is really inaccurate and not as good as it was in HL1 but at the same time the glock is a headshot machine.

I RoTT remake is as good as Black Mesa Source because I really missed old school shooting (and jumping).

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I wanna play Black Mesa but I always pussed out when the fish monsters showed up :(

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Thompsons posted:

I wanna play Black Mesa but I always pussed out when the fish monsters showed up :(

The Fishes are alot easier to kill in Black Mesa, mainly because the cross bow can actually shoot vertically now. :haw:

e: my brain died.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Guillermus posted:

There is plenty of magnum ammo (im close to Lambda labs now) and If you save it for marines is normally a one shot kill making your life much easier. The MP5 with grenade launcher is really inaccurate and not as good as it was in HL1 but at the same time the glock is a headshot machine.

I RoTT remake is as good as Black Mesa Source because I really missed old school shooting (and jumping).

Actually, I swore to God that they made the MP5 loads more accurate, at the cost of having a crap magazine and doing little against most of the HECU. But yeah, the Magnum is now my baby. Again.

Also, Thompsons, you're not alone. The sharks made me jump EVERY drat TIME I had to get anywhere near them, especially when the shark cage collapses and when you have to swim past one in OpFor.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Maxwell Adams posted:

Does anyone know of doom/quake source ports that work with nVidia 3d vision? The 3d stuff works with pretty much anything that renders with DirectX, but all these source ports use OpenGL.

If what you need is DirectX rendering, you can try to see how stable Vavoom is. Just be aware that this port seems abandoned at the moment (last developer activity was in September 2011, and even the forum hasn't had any activity since June); so if you run into problems with it, you're not going to find much people who can help you.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

JackMackerel posted:

Actually, I swore to God that they made the MP5 loads more accurate, at the cost of having a crap magazine and doing little against most of the HECU. But yeah, the Magnum is now my baby. Again.

I kinda miss the old ammo limit wich was 125 for the shotgun, 250 for the MP5 and 36 (iirc) for the magnum but then all of them got more powerful (the shotgun got REALLY effective now against marines).

If they gave these guys budget they could make great Half-Life based games, hell I'd pay for Op Forces and Blue Shift again if these guys made them.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Guillermus posted:

I kinda miss the old ammo limit wich was 125 for the shotgun, 250 for the MP5 and 36 (iirc) for the magnum but then all of them got more powerful (the shotgun got REALLY effective now against marines).

If they gave these guys budget they could make great Half-Life based games, hell I'd pay for Op Forces and Blue Shift again if these guys made them.

Yeah, the MP5 was pretty weak in vanilla HL1, but the fifty round mag made up for it and made sure I wasn't reloading so drat much every five seconds. But yeah, the shotgun and magnum are life safers. I just wish they kept in rapid fire for the glock... at the very least, it's accurate.

There's Operation: Black Mesa (which looks pretty good) and Guard Duty, which are remakes in the same vein of Black Mesa.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Does anyone else think the rage against the magnum ironsights in Black Mesa is ridiculous? If there's one thing I hate about the classic FPS gamer community, it's that they assume ironsights is some sort of slippery-slope feature that means the entire game is going to behave like Call of Duty (or whatever popular console FPS du jour).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah the rage about that feature (wich you can even disable via menu) makes no sense at all. The gun is completely accurate and the ironsight is even worse than just using the crosshair. Some communities behave like cavemen.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Yeah the rage about that feature (wich you can even disable via menu) makes no sense at all. The gun is completely accurate and the ironsight is even worse than just using the crosshair. Some communities behave like cavemen.
Wait, really? I've been using the ironsights extensively for the revolver, I thought it'd make sense as an addition seeing as how the revolver is essentially the sniper weapon of Half-Life.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So this weird coding prodigy (he added SBARINFO to Zdoom when he was 14! FOURTEEN!) on the Zdoom dev team has just released the first public build of ECWolf, a Wolfenstein 3D source port that attempts to port over a ton of ZDoom features, because having to basically make your own source port for each mod is kind of bullshit. Also, why the gently caress not.

There's also a "tech demo" mod that shows off what's done so far, which is kind of neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAPnY4bKrGY

Maybe I'll do something with this at some point?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Hmm, so basically it's a modern Wolf 3D engine that actually runs at full res on my computer without loving around with it. Nice!

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
If you keep Y axis on and max out the sensitivity (and DPI on your mouse if you can) you can go light speed through the levels. Doubt it's intended but it is pretty fun.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'll never replay Wolf 3D without an automap!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Paul Pot posted:

I'll never replay Wolf 3D without an automap!
I am shouting at Blzut's face as we speak.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

So this weird coding prodigy (he added SBARINFO to Zdoom when he was 14! FOURTEEN!) on the Zdoom dev team has just released the first public build of ECWolf, a Wolfenstein 3D source port that attempts to port over a ton of ZDoom features, because having to basically make your own source port for each mod is kind of bullshit. Also, why the gently caress not.

There's also a "tech demo" mod that shows off what's done so far, which is kind of neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAPnY4bKrGY

Maybe I'll do something with this at some point?

I've always had problems with previous Wolf3D source ports, but this one runs and looks awesome. Source Port of choice for Wolf3D now. This man is amazing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I just don't get why that is. Would it really be that difficult to improve the controls? Is the reason they don't seriously because one of the devs is an elitist prick who doesn't want to do anything to make the game more "accessible" for newcomers?

There's a few overlapping issues.

Firstly, the number of Marathon players is a lot smaller than the number of Doom, Quake, Duke3d, etc players, which means a smaller pool of interested programmers.

Secondly, the M2 source is a total clusterfuck and, honestly, needs some heavy redesigning and rewriting. So that small pool is now even smaller because a lot of them will want to fix things, open it up, :stare: or possibly :gonk: at it, and drink heavily until they can forget what they've just seen.

Finally, at least one of the devs is violently opposed to anything that makes the game more accessible to new players - his words, not mine - which means anyone who wants to fix this, and is willing to get their hands dirty to do so, would need to fork the project, maintain it themselves, and convince people to use this rather than A1, which these days is synonymous with "Marathon" for most people. At that point there are very few people willing to actually put up with all that poo poo, especially since they're all people who have probably already played through Marathon and aren't that excited about getting to play it again with less lovely mouse controls.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's the same reason Doom has several ports, and no one bitches about that.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

It's the same reason Doom has several ports, and no one bitches about that.

Yeah, but the Doom source is much less of a pain in the rear end to work on and there are more people interested in working on it in the first place.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Thief and System Shock 2 folks, I'll just leave this here for you to marvel at: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140085

Really curious to see how this develops.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Johnny Law posted:

Thief and System Shock 2 folks, I'll just leave this here for you to marvel at: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140085

Really curious to see how this develops.

I was actually going to post that here once I'd played around with it a bit more. :)

So far, it looks like the changes for players are fairly minor. You get built-in support for widescreen resolutions and cutscenes and multicore systems and 32-bit rendering and bloom and stuff like that, but it's not a mind-blowing change, it just means things look a bit nicer and are a lot easier to get working properly.

The changes for modders and mappers, however, are huge. What I'm hearing from people who actually make FMs is that the map scale basically goes from "mansion" to "city", in addition to lots of improvements on the small scale like improved lighting and animation support and whatnot.

So if you aren't a mapper, all this really means for now is that the install process is greatly simplified (granted, this is a huge benefit, especially for SS2). If you are, this is the best news ever, and the players will start to see the benefits once the Thief FM community really gets in gear with the new DromEd.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wow, where did this come from? Time to reinstall Thief 2 I guess!

e: Awesome, Thief 2 now works with Steam overlay!

Convex fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 25, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Awesome! Added to the OP.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The patches have hit Rock Paper Shotgun.

It is worth noting that the Thief 2 patch also has a compatibility mode you can activate for playing Thief 1/Thief Gold with it.

Meanwhile, the guys over in TTLG's Editor's Guild have been test driving the new editor and talking about resurrecting projects that had to be abandoned because the original engine couldn't handle them. Some nice screenshots in there.

I've also started a thread over in the System Shock section of TTLG.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I'm still in disbelief that something like this could be so silently released. Also, the possibilities that it opens up for fan missions are pretty exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
Oh god, I can't wait for the absolutely awesome city missions this makes possible.