Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

It's for school. Work is easy, all i gotta do is show up and then show up my coworkers. My job isn't hard, at least not to me. School requires me to schedule time to work for myself, which is the hardest thing to do. Once I get started it's still easy, i just never start. The bigger problem i actually have for school is that my eyes are highly contrast sensitive, and reading for extended periods of time or with small fonts on high contrast paper is loving impossible.

Decent access to a photocopier at school or work? If it's less than 10 pages of reading, maybe blow it up huge on the photocopier?

With school stuff, please just check in with a Prof. If you do it before the crisis and say "Hey, I work hard, but I just need a little help here because I want to do well in your class" most will find some sort of middle ground and help you out. They WANT you to do well in their class! I know, this came as a shock to me after all the rear end in a top hat teachers I had in HS.

Again, you don't have to disclose everything, but in the end, the worst they can say is "no" to any accommodation and then you're back to where you were now, so no new loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Interstitial Abs posted:

Decent access to a photocopier at school or work? If it's less than 10 pages of reading, maybe blow it up huge on the photocopier?

With school stuff, please just check in with a Prof. If you do it before the crisis and say "Hey, I work hard, but I just need a little help here because I want to do well in your class" most will find some sort of middle ground and help you out. They WANT you to do well in their class! I know, this came as a shock to me after all the rear end in a top hat teachers I had in HS.

Again, you don't have to disclose everything, but in the end, the worst they can say is "no" to any accommodation and then you're back to where you were now, so no new loss.

Photocopying really isn't an option when I have 300 pages to copy. I bought a magnifying sheet thing instead. Maybe I'll buy reading glasses. Most of the time the solution is to find the text in ebook format, I just wasnt able to get that done this time. Anyway I got my poo poo and I got bumped up to 40mg vyvanse from 20mg. We'll see how ULTRA CAT DRUG works.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I never noticed it, but everybody else could!

I think that's how I feel when I forget to take it. I mean, I'm sure there would be an externally noticeable difference. If I didn't just sit alone by myself in my room on a computer all day.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I didn't realize just how difficult it is dealing with psychs that manage ADD meds because I've been going to the same doc for like 8 years, but I have a friend with a recent diagnosis and it took her like a month to find a doctor that could even see her, and he's booked out 4 months in advance. And they booked her next appointment with the wrong doctor, so she has to wait until november to be seen.

Also, presuming US, it should be noticed that Schedule II drugs can't have refills, so you have to see your Pdoc once a month. I'd hate for your friend to get one month of meds and then again be stuck waiting for months. I'm seeing my Pdoc tomorrow and I already have another appointment with him in a month for that reason.

Interstitial Abs posted:

the worst they can say is "no" to any accommodation and then you're back to where you were now, so no new loss.

Again, presuming US, the Americans with Disabilities Act requires accommodations be made. They don't have to be the specific accommodations you want, but they have to be reasonable.

Actually, I'm coming to terms with the notion that I am more disabled than I ever wanted to admit. I think tomorrow I'm going to tell my Therapist that I want to start moving forward on SSI. As mentioned before I have comorbidities and not just ADHD, but does anyone have experience in trying get SSI for mental disability? It's feeling like yet another one of those things that would have been easier and should have been done when I was a kid.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

Again, presuming US, the Americans with Disabilities Act requires accommodations be made. They don't have to be the specific accommodations you want, but they have to be reasonable.

Does that apply to college though?

I thought it was just the workplace for ADA, and IDE(i)A would be for public schools till 12th, and private.... their discretion??

edit-

Sub Rosa posted:

Actually, I'm coming to terms with the notion that I am more disabled than I ever wanted to admit. I think tomorrow I'm going to tell my Therapist that I want to start moving forward on SSI. As mentioned before I have comorbidities and not just ADHD, but does anyone have experience in trying get SSI for mental disability? It's feeling like yet another one of those things that would have been easier and should have been done when I was a kid.

I would never tell anyone what direction to take or fault them for assistance, but aren't there like poo poo tons of working restrictions if you do SSI? I just know a friend who went down that path, he was functional, but the all the parameters of the "system" kind of forced him to become dependent on it and have a sort of "victimized" and resigned attitude.

Obviously, this is one person, and anecdotal, but I would look into that quite a bit. It seems like it's not the path for folk who are doing well who just need more of an assist.

Interstitial Abs fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 25, 2012

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

signalnoise posted:

Photocopying really isn't an option when I have 300 pages to copy. I bought a magnifying sheet thing instead. Maybe I'll buy reading glasses. Most of the time the solution is to find the text in ebook format, I just wasnt able to get that done this time. Anyway I got my poo poo and I got bumped up to 40mg vyvanse from 20mg. We'll see how ULTRA CAT DRUG works.

What a friend of mine did was get a job at Kinkos and then he would scan our books in at night every semester.

The other thing I do is that I read while on an eliptical when I'm forced to read from paper texts. For some reason engaging motor skills seems to help with my retention and my contrast sensitivity.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Interstitial Abs posted:

Does that apply to college though?
IANAL, but yes, it does. If a school is private and accepts no government funds whatsoever it is still covered by Title III of the ADA. If it receives any government funds Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act also applies.

Interstitial Abs posted:

I would never tell anyone what direction to take or fault them for assistance, but aren't there like poo poo tons of working restrictions if you do SSI?
Since SSI is a needs based program, it makes sense that you stop getting it if you no longer need it. There are lots of different ways that pans out. If you make too much money one month, it may mean you aren't entitled to a check that month, but you are still a beneficiary. If you are able to gain and keep a level of employment for a period of time and at a level sufficient to make you no longer eligible for SSI, but then later (within a certain period of time) are no longer able to continue at the level because of your medically demonstrable condition, it will be easier to have your benefits reinstated than they were to initially receive. The Ticket to Work program is all about trying to enable beneficiaries to transition from SSI to self sufficiency.

I think it is worth noting that there is a difference between SSDI and SSI. SSDI is for people who were able to work and payed into the system. It is like insurance. You lose it if your income hits a certain level. SSI on the other hand is need based, and eligibility is based in part on assets. So you can't have more than $2000 in the bank. With SSI actually you can work quite a bit and still receive benefits. After the first $65 every dollar you earn subtracts 50 cents from your check. So you always still are better off working than not working to the extent you are able on SSI. (At least in terms of SSI. Medicaid eligibility muddies this picture for some people and in certain states.)

So. Not only do I think I should be eligible I think that without assistance I'm never going to be able to pull my life out of where it is. I need help in more ways that I was prepared to admit when I first decided to seek help. But I still see it as part of a bridge to a better life and not something I want to be resigned to for rest of my life.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 25, 2012

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
All power to ya. Again, I hope it didn't come off as wanting to poo poo something you've obviously though a lot about and are quite knowledgeable on. Just a concerned stranger on the net. :keke:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Honestly the reason I ask if anyone else has been through it is that I think I may still be confused about some of the differences between SSDI and SSI myself. And for all the ridiculous amount of alphabet soup that is my tentative growing diagnosis sheet I don't think I have any that are explicitly in their guidebook so it could still be a long battle for me.

Another big part of it is that I went through this huge grieving process around accepting that I had ADHD to begin with. Part of what let me cope with that initially was the thought that with treatment I could be one of those stories I had read about people with adult ADHD who got treatment and turned their lives around in short order. At this point I'm having to accept that I need to drastically reign in what are meaningful lifetime goals. Like just being able to sustainably manage to live independently.

Sorry if this is getting E/Nish. Sometimes I think about starting a thread there but honestly half the time E/N scares the hell out of me when I lurk there.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

Sorry if this is getting E/Nish. Sometimes I think about starting a thread there but honestly half the time E/N scares the hell out of me when I lurk there.

Its basically a group E/N thread anyway as far as I can tell.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

At this point I'm having to accept that I need to drastically reign in what are meaningful lifetime goals. Like just being able to sustainably manage to live independently.
Right on board with you there. But you konw, I think the biggest growth I've had as an adult is saying "ok, fine, I can't be a rock star/astronaut/etc... what can I do that makes me happy and contributes to the grand scheme?" No that I' giving up on certain dreams, just working on a similar (and perhaps more practical) track and knowing if it's meant to be, it'll happen.

-----
So yesterday I got to see a former classmate/colleague speak about teaching in another country and in inner-city Philly (both things I want/am going to do). And she started with "soooo, I have ADD and this might jump around a bit"... and it DID, but she would just ask someone else.. "So where was I? Oh yes, the student who got naked during a clap along..."

Afterwards a different gal came up and started asking her about ADD coping skills and teaching, and so the 3 of us had a little pow wow. I've always known her to be spinning a mile a minute and sometimes smile and nod and then ask you to repeat yourself... It was so great to hear someone just flat out say it and then be their drat awesome self and not care if they've talked six ways to Sunday to get to their point. :wotwot:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
You can be a rock star. You can't be an Air Force Pilot, but you can be a rockstar.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

40mg vyvanse is making me productive as poo poo

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

signalnoise posted:

Its basically a group E/N thread anyway as far as I can tell.

I see this as a group E/N thread where we can say things like 'Holy Shitsnacks' and not get yelled at by the sensitive user with angel icons in their sig, like on other boards. Also, primarily adults - which is a massive plus. 10 year olds who are failing basic math and hitting others at recess because of ADHD aren't quite in the same group as 40 year olds who got sucked into a sham mortgage deal because their ADHD prevented them from reading the fine print, or consulting a lawyer.

So, anyway. Holy Shitsnacks does my Ritalin not last long. Yesterday was the first day of evening class. I forgot this, and took my Ritalin at my normal time, e.g. 10am. It had definitely worn off by 6pm, and by 8pm, when working on the group assignments, I had that 'brain slowing to a crawl' feeling I get, and the coffee didn't help. When you forgot how to divide, it's kinda embarrasing trying to find the sine of an angle. Luckily, I have an appointment this Friday. I'm asking for a doubling of my dose of Ritalin (from 10 to 20 MG), and then permission to 'stagger' it, e.g. I take the first dose in the morning, and the second dose in the early afternoon. Because otherwise? Class is going to suuuuuck.

(Might be able to alleviate it by drinking coffee from an opaque water bottle throughout class. But, if it's like yesterday, it'll just make me stay up until 1am instead.)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 26, 2012

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
My ritalin is supposed to last for 4 hours then followed by another dose that also last for 4 hours. Is your ritalin supposed to work differently?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Slaapaav posted:

My ritalin is supposed to last for 4 hours then followed by another dose that also last for 4 hours. Is your ritalin supposed to work differently?
Ritalin makes an extended release formula as well as their instant release.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

My pill bottle is upstairs, but I'm on the extended release.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Qu Appelle posted:

When you forgot how to divide, it's kinda embarrasing trying to find the sine of an angle.
Holy Shitsnacks I've got you beat if you want to feel better about forgetting how to divide. Yesterday after that "lecture"/meeting I stood next to a friend of 3 years and whom I've had several classes, and played music with and couldn't remember her name.... I mean, I'm bad with names but this was different. Just a void where I know her, her name is ______ uh... oh gently caress.

So I was like "yeah dude/hun/other colloquialism, totally agree with ya" and other masking techniques till I practically yelled out "You're name is KAYLA!" like the goddamn Rainman.:bravo:

Had the other friend not been talking about her ADD openly I would have freaked out and had an anxiety attack to boot, but I just kind of relaxed and said "this too shall pass"... and it did.

Her name is Kayla. :rolleyes:

TheBigBad posted:

You can be a rock star. You can't be an Air Force Pilot, but you can be a rockstar.

gently caress that noize anyhow (Air Force).

And yet they somehow let GW Bush fly a jet fighter. :mad:

and run a country

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Signed up for therapy, woot. First appointment isn't for two weeks unfortunately . . . I guess it's a good sign that she's pretty booked up? She's not an "ADD coach" but she lists ADD as a specialty and she does CBT, DBT, that kind of stuff so hopefully she'll work out. I need less help with "augh how do I keep my house clean" and more help with touchy-feely self-esteem and anxiety problems anyway. I've given up the idea that that meds are going to fix everything on their own but hopefully therapy + meds will be enough for me to feel not terrible.

I'm trying out 30mg of Vyvanse still. I can barely feel it right now and I have a very hard time telling when it's wearing off. Maybe that's good but they aren't helping that much seemingly because I still have trouble listening and not spacing out. I think the background chatter is a bit quieter and I feel a little more "immersed" in reality if that makes sense. Just a little though. Maybe up the dose? 40 mg seems high for someone with mild ADD doesn't it? It seems like a lot of people get by on 20-30 mg.

Then again, maybe they aren't working well beause I need to work harder on sleeping enough. I forgot I had to get up early today until it was too late so I got <6 hours of sleep again. :ughh:

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw

HondaCivet posted:

Signed up for therapy, woot. First appointment isn't for two weeks unfortunately . . . I guess it's a good sign that she's pretty booked up? She's not an "ADD coach" but she lists ADD as a specialty and she does CBT, DBT, that kind of stuff so hopefully she'll work out. I need less help with "augh how do I keep my house clean" and more help with touchy-feely self-esteem and anxiety problems anyway. I've given up the idea that that meds are going to fix everything on their own but hopefully therapy + meds will be enough for me to feel not terrible.

I'm trying out 30mg of Vyvanse still. I can barely feel it right now and I have a very hard time telling when it's wearing off. Maybe that's good but they aren't helping that much seemingly because I still have trouble listening and not spacing out. I think the background chatter is a bit quieter and I feel a little more "immersed" in reality if that makes sense. Just a little though. Maybe up the dose? 40 mg seems high for someone with mild ADD doesn't it? It seems like a lot of people get by on 20-30 mg.

Then again, maybe they aren't working well beause I need to work harder on sleeping enough. I forgot I had to get up early today until it was too late so I got <6 hours of sleep again. :ughh:

I'm a poor ADD sleeper, ask your shrink about intuniv or its generic, it greatly reduces the chatter and makes me much calmer. It pairs wonderfully with the stims for focus.

On a cool note, I switched from Ritalin to Adderal, OMG so much better. I didn't realize what a loving baseline Zombie I had become. No anger, not super happy, just base line; thanks to adderal I can get my adreneline response to kick in, I feel anger and frustration, it is so nice. This makes me much better at business too, it's hard to negotiate apathetic.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

signalnoise posted:

40mg vyvanse is making me productive as poo poo

I know people always say that amphetamines working is not evidence of having ADHD in itself because they also work for people without ADHD.

But what does it mean when they don't work? I'm taking 40 mg Vyvanse and it doesn't make me productive in the slightest. I'm three or four days into a holiday and I've had no noticeable withdrawals and pretty minimal noticeable.

I sort of feel like the medicine is treating a symptom I don't have right now, but would have if I was employed or in school if that makes any sense. My life doesn't currently answer to an external structure, and the other aspects of deficits in executive functioning mean that I'm still entirely poo poo at creating and enforcing internal structure because the medicine doesn't touch those areas of executive functioning.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Sub Rosa posted:

I know people always say that amphetamines working is not evidence of having ADHD in itself because they also work for people without ADHD.

But what does it mean when they don't work? I'm taking 40 mg Vyvanse and it doesn't make me productive in the slightest. I'm three or four days into a holiday and I've had no noticeable withdrawals and pretty minimal noticeable.

I sort of feel like the medicine is treating a symptom I don't have right now, but would have if I was employed or in school if that makes any sense. My life doesn't currently answer to an external structure, and the other aspects of deficits in executive functioning mean that I'm still entirely poo poo at creating and enforcing internal structure because the medicine doesn't touch those areas of executive functioning.

You might be right. I'm on Vyvanse and it's still pretty hard to get going on stuff that I need to do just for myself like cleaning or working on projects. It does help a little but it's no cure. It's easier to keep working on things and for it to "feel good" doing things vs. sitting around spacing out.

I'm thinking about calling up my therapist and seeing if she can see me this week instead even if it's during the day, work be damned. I had no plans Friday and Saturday and by Sunday I felt too lovely to go to the plans I did have. Maybe starting up a new work week will make me feel better but I feel pretty loving awful right now.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

You might be right. I'm on Vyvanse and it's still pretty hard to get going on stuff that I need to do just for myself like cleaning or working on projects. It does help a little but it's no cure. It's easier to keep working on things and for it to "feel good" doing things vs. sitting around spacing out.

I'm thinking about calling up my therapist and seeing if she can see me this week instead even if it's during the day, work be damned. I had no plans Friday and Saturday and by Sunday I felt too lovely to go to the plans I did have. Maybe starting up a new work week will make me feel better but I feel pretty loving awful right now.

What the Vyvanse does for me isn't so much an impetus as it is fuel. With the Vyvanse I'm slow working and easily distracted. With Vyvanse I'm not as easily distracted and I can think about difficult math poo poo I DON'T CARE ABOUT without just saying why the gently caress do I even have to do this. Vyvanse does not at all help me start any major undertaking. It just helps me finish, and that's the hard part.

Anyone else feel like their brain gets tired/fatigued when working on difficult poo poo you don't care about, without medication?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Anyone else feel like their brain gets tired/fatigued when working on difficult poo poo you don't care about, without medication?

Its like you're always stuck in second gear. (heh) You can go, and sometimes that comes in handy when going up a mountain with a heavy load. It costs two or three times the amount of energy to get a normal amount done. On the flip side, I can listen to three conversations at once and pull out brilliant new ideas by synthesizing whats been said before people finish saying it.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
I have an appointment for the results of my ADHD evaluation on Thursday afternoon, and a meeting with my psychiatrist on Friday morning. I sincerely hope I get :catdrugs: ASAP and can get an appointment soon with the school's office for students with disabilities, because I'm having a horrible time in my logic class now. :( I'm okay on homework, eventually I get it worked out, but I'm not able to do the same on quizzes. I'm probably hosed, my professor is bitching about we just need to study in order to pass and that we should withdraw if we can't manage that.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

samizdat posted:

I have an appointment for the results of my ADHD evaluation on Thursday afternoon, and a meeting with my psychiatrist on Friday morning. I sincerely hope I get :catdrugs: ASAP and can get an appointment soon with the school's office for students with disabilities, because I'm having a horrible time in my logic class now. :( I'm okay on homework, eventually I get it worked out, but I'm not able to do the same on quizzes. I'm probably hosed, my professor is bitching about we just need to study in order to pass and that we should withdraw if we can't manage that.

Until you can get :catdrugs:, can you sip coffee in class? Does that help you at all?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

TheBigBad posted:

Its like you're always stuck in second gear. (heh) You can go, and sometimes that comes in handy when going up a mountain with a heavy load. It costs two or three times the amount of energy to get a normal amount done. On the flip side, I can listen to three conversations at once and pull out brilliant new ideas by synthesizing whats been said before people finish saying it.

For me, it sort of feels like having your head in the clouds or everything being foggy like Silent hill. Or my brain fell asleep like your arm does when you lay on it for too long. It's also this nagging feeling that my brain is purposely putting up roadblocks to stop information from going in or out, to the point where I can't remember specific (and common) words regularly. Somedays I have to pause in the middle of my sentences several times to remember basic grammar.

samizdat posted:

Can you find a quiet place at the school to study and work on your assignments? If I go home, I can't get anything done until the last minute. When I'm forced to stay at the school, especially late night, I find that I can actually concentrate on the tasks at hand because there's nothing to distract me. At home I can just get into my sweatpants and lounge around like a lazy fat rear end, but at school I have to interact with real people, I don't have any personal space and the school studio space is for work.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

samizdat posted:

What kind of logic? Symbolic logic was actually my favorite college course because everything made sense and there was no real verbal component (even though I hate dealing with math or excel-based analysis)

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

My psychologist emphasized that stimulants work better when you stop taking them over holidays. They work very differently from antidepressants, as there is no benefit to having them build up in your system. By taking breaks from stimulants, or temporary reductions, you can remove tolerance and make them work a little better. (Same with coffee, really.)

He also said that catdrugs are not that effective for procrastination and disorganization. They simply prevent "derailment" when you're already paying attention to something.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Are social problems a common aspect of ADD? I'm one of those people with a circle of friends a mile wide and an inch deep. Close relationships just sort of fail to gel around me for no identifiable reason even though I love meeting people and make friends easily. There's just some stage that fails to happen somewhere between casual/partying friend and close friend/SO and I don't know what it is. And it's only just occurred to me that this failure to notice whatever it is or mesh gears with people on a deeper level might be a part of my ADD.

I don't think it's coloring my actual in-person interactions with people. I don't seem hyperactive, flighty, or inattentive in person. In fact, people generally see me as kind of withdrawn if anything, which was a surprise for me to learn because I don't feel that way. Anyway, without getting too much more E/N in here, does this sound like a familiar situation, or is this just me being a flake?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I can definitely tell there's a 'social component' to it, at least for me. I find that especially on the weekends (no :catdrugs: ), I tend to just ramble on when people have obviously stopped listening, blurt out stuff, tune out conversations, etc. My close friends are used to it, and when I see acquaintances, I tend to be the 'well behaved' one, because while I may be flighty or hyper, I'm also not piss drunk shouting obscenities at a small child at a soccer match. (I watch a lot of soccer).

It tends to be a problem most on public transportation, where I often have to interact with other passengers with their own mental illnesses, addictions, and the like. So there, I basically taught myself to just clam up and not talk to anybody. It also tends to be a problem with my hearing, but I just ask people to repeat myself. It's to the point where friends, in trying to be 'helpful', have totally TOTALLY Internet diagnosed me with Asperger's because they just KNOW I have it. Like OMG. :geno: (For the record, I don't believe I have it, and neither does my Psych.)

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Are social problems a common aspect of ADD? I'm one of those people with a circle of friends a mile wide and an inch deep. Close relationships just sort of fail to gel around me for no identifiable reason even though I love meeting people and make friends easily. There's just some stage that fails to happen somewhere between casual/partying friend and close friend/SO and I don't know what it is. And it's only just occurred to me that this failure to notice whatever it is or mesh gears with people on a deeper level might be a part of my ADD.

I don't think it's coloring my actual in-person interactions with people. I don't seem hyperactive, flighty, or inattentive in person. In fact, people generally see me as kind of withdrawn if anything, which was a surprise for me to learn because I don't feel that way. Anyway, without getting too much more E/N in here, does this sound like a familiar situation, or is this just me being a flake?

Yeah that's very common. Some common reasons are:

-Low self-esteem from being unable to meet normal expectations
-Being inattentive during longer conversations
-Changing the subject too much
-Unstable moods
-Impulsiveness making someone weird or scary to be around

Maybe you're just too busy, or spreading yourself too thin? Do you have time to hang out with small groups or individuals? Do you get asked to do such things? If you aren't getting asked then do the asking yourself and see what happens.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I also find that activities with friends where we do something is much better for me than gatherings where people just sit and talk. So, suggest a hike, or shopping, or checking out a new restaurant, attending a concert or play or sporting event, etc. I'm sure someone will tag along. Also, it's fall! Apple picking!

(I have a good set of friends who all they want to do is sit around and drink tea, and as much as I love them, it's just infuriating to sit through!)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 1, 2012

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Qu Appelle posted:

(I have a good set of friends who all they want to do is sit around and drink tea, and as much as I love them, it's just infuriating to sit through!)

:tinfoil: Are your friends actually me and my housemates? We love sitting around drinking tea. There's so much loving tea in our house. Also our kettle was a banshee in a former life. I guess with being inattentive type, I'm content to sit around, but only if there's something mentally stimulating to do/talk about. If my friends/housemates start talking about people I don't know/things I don't care about, I get bored and pissed off instantaneously and have to go do something else.

Also, horrible news. I was cleaning and.. found my old Pokemon cartridges. And both my SPs. And the link cable. Now I'm all :catdrugs: MY POKEMANS. LET ME SHOW YOU THEM :catdrugs: My evil shoulder angel was like, hey now you have :catdrugs: so maybe you can finally catch 'em all after fifteen loving years of failing to catch 'em all, and I was like, that sounds awesome. Hopefully the meds don't mess up my burnout cycle. I get super into something for a month or so, and then all of a sudden it's not interesting anymore, and I don't think about it for months/a year+.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Phyzzle posted:

My psychologist emphasized that stimulants work better when you stop taking them over holidays. They work very differently from antidepressants, as there is no benefit to having them build up in your system. By taking breaks from stimulants, or temporary reductions, you can remove tolerance and make them work a little better. (Same with coffee, really.)

He also said that catdrugs are not that effective for procrastination and disorganization. They simply prevent "derailment" when you're already paying attention to something.

Yeah, that's what I mean when I say I'm taking a holiday, I've stopped taking it for a few days to see how I feel differently in terms of the problems I feel I have and to see if I have withdrawals like has been reported for the same dose of the same drug in the past couple of pages.

I think the comment on derailment is right on, but is that also saying there is no medication for those other aspects of the disorder?

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Phyzzle posted:

On the "derailed" metaphor I like to think of organization and good habits as the engine, and no matter how great it is, if you have lovely tracks, you're not going anywhere. Catdrugs are the what fix the tracks. Conversely, if you have the tracks lined up, but no engine pushing, you're not going anywhere either.

This has been a terrible train analogy.:toot:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Sub Rosa posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean when I say I'm taking a holiday, I've stopped taking it for a few days to see how I feel differently in terms of the problems I feel I have and to see if I have withdrawals like has been reported for the same dose of the same drug in the past couple of pages.

I think the comment on derailment is right on, but is that also saying there is no medication for those other aspects of the disorder?

Here is your prescription for- RIDING BIKES!

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

I assume no. They would recommend Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which I've always thought is just a fancy term for "retraining your habits".

Whatever procrastination is not treated by the drugs has got to be inseparable from the built up pessimism due to fretting over your past failures. That sort of thing can only be treated psychologically.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I talked to my doc about my meds 'pooping out' early on in the workday, and he looked at the med, and went "Yeah. It's only supposed to last for 4-6 hours." This is generic Methylphenidate, BTW. 10 mg tablets.

So now, on days i have night school and/or need to study, I'm to take a second dose in the afternoon. So, I just took my second dose. Let's see how this goes!

(Also, my GP found during my yearly Physical that I'm really deficient in Vitamin D, so I'm also taking 100,000 IU a week. That should also start to make me feel better soon. I also need to note that around September or so, I need to get the Vitamin D levels checked, esp. since that's when the SAD symptoms tend to hit.) Wheee...

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Sub Rosa posted:

Sometimes I wish the meds did more for procrastination and such but at the same time I think I'd be kind of scared of a drug that makes me WANT to do boring poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Can Ritalin (or whatever the hell I'm on) make anxiety worse? Because I just had a full on sobbing meltdown in the tub about how I'm a failure and my life is over and my dreams are dead...because I can't figure out a really hard Trig problem on my homework. It's only the second week of class, and I'm doing fine, otherwise in it.

Now, I'm kinda hi strung at times...but not like THAT. :wtc: