Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

actionjackson posted:

I got my refurb MacBook Air today (current model). Loving the SSD and everything else so far, but for some reason I can't get rid of the notifications icon in the top right. I've tried

code:
sudo launchctl remove com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent
launchctl remove com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent
several times, but it always comes back after reboot. Any other ideas?

I have no idea how to get rid of the icon itself, but you can alt+click it to disable notifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

MUFFlNS posted:

Unless Apple is ever willing to send somebody to carry out repairs at your home? Probably wishful thinking.

In-home service is part of AppleCare if it's available, meaning there has to be an Apple Authorized Service Provider offering it in your area. It's worth a shot, but having an AASP that's both large enough to send people out and interested in having customers loom over their shoulders is a rare combination.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Molten Llama posted:

In-home service is part of AppleCare if it's available, meaning there has to be an Apple Authorized Service Provider offering it in your area. It's worth a shot, but having an AASP that's both large enough to send people out and interested in having customers loom over their shoulders is a rare combination.

That's the worst thing about Apple, IMO. We are 2 hours (in between two Apple stores) and the nearest AASP isn't much closer. If your machine dies, you get to spend half a day taking it in and then another day going to get it. I can swap things like hard drives out, it's cheaper to just buy a drive from NewEgg or Best Buy. But as far as motherboards, screens...ugh.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

Sweet, thanks.

This started happening after two weeks of the most intense usage this machine has seen since I bought it, (In the lab running VMs / compiling code / running analyzers / etc, 24/7) so maybe it's exacerbating assembly issue(s) with the GT330M BGA.

So if I do take my machine in for them to run their magic "software diagnostic" (comparing my serial number / production run to known bad boards or something?), do I need to strip out my SSD or anything?

More weirdness now: MBP failed to go to sleep and ran its battery down in my bag, and graphical glitches getting more frequent. gently caress RoHS forever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They might try to blame your problems on the SSD, though i've had no trouble with having third party RAM in my Macs. If you do bring in your MBP with the third party SSD make sure they document it to make sure you get it back. I'm not saying anyone is going to take it but they could misplace it or whatever while testing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

movax posted:

More weirdness now: MBP failed to go to sleep and ran its battery down in my bag, and graphical glitches getting more frequent. gently caress RoHS forever.

There's a bunch of software and settings that could be causing it to not sleep. When's the last time you reset your SMC?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Yeah, Retina Pro still randomly dropping to screensaver/lock screen in the middle of using it. No hot corners of any kind. I wish I knew wtf was going on.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Does anyone have an issue with their Macbook Pro not recognizing the built in iSight camera after waking up from sleep mode? I have a 2012 model Macbook Pro (15 inch base, upgraded the ram myself), and I'm having an issue where the camera won't get recognized by programs, like Skype or Photobooth, but apparently it still shows up in the System Report under USB section.

I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting and I'm try to determine whether or not I should just take it into the Apple store.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, Retina Pro still randomly dropping to screensaver/lock screen in the middle of using it. No hot corners of any kind. I wish I knew wtf was going on.

My Mini does this occasionally. I've seen it twice since upgrading to ML.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fidel sarcastro posted:

My Mini does this occasionally. I've seen it twice since upgrading to ML.

It's getting pretty frustrating.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ML in general seems kind of weird about sleeping. Under 10.7 or 10.6 a tap of the spacebar or plugging in a usb device would wake stuff up pretty reliably but with 10.8 it feels like it takes several mashes of buttons to get any kind of response.

Also has a bad habit of screwing up the desktop background when waking up to a display change (as in, I use the laptop's screen, put it to sleep, then plug in an external monitor and wake the computer up). I'll either get the galaxy background instead of my personal one, or my personal one will be crammed into the upper left corner. Only logging out and back in fixes it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
That's odd, because ML works fine on my mid-2011 mini.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I haven't had issues yet with my Macbook AIr. I'm constantly plugging/unplugging it to my Dell 2412 monitor or my HDTV with a mini-dp to HDMI adapter. Did you guys to a fresh install of ML?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, I wiped the hard drive prior to install. My particular machine is a 2011 model MBP.

It doesn't happen constantly. Just frequently enough that I can't discard it as a random occurrence.

I had sleep issues with my 2008 MB under 10.6 as well, but they cleared up over time as Apple patched the OS up. I just figured mountain lion was having the same growing pains.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
My MBA is taking ~25 seconds to wake from deep sleep and get to a point where I can enter the password. Is that normal? This is a 2011 running Mountain Lion.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

quadratic posted:

My MBA is taking ~25 seconds to wake from deep sleep and get to a point where I can enter the password. Is that normal? This is a 2011 running Mountain Lion.

Pretty close to it. My retina pro takes at least half that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quadratic posted:

I think mine takes around 10 seconds which I find strange - it only started doing that within the last few months.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
This might be a silly question.

Do Apple Stores carry a range of retina MBPs, or do they just carry the base models and thats that?

In other words, could I walk out of the store with a 512GB / 16GB rMBP? Or does that have to go through apple.com?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They'll have several configurations, usually the base models and maxed out models. You should call and ask what they have.

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.
I'm looking at making the transition from a desktop PC to a laptop for the first time. I'm the power-user type and do dabble in video editing/encoding and I do play games, all of which are primarily Mac-Friendly e.g. WoW and SC2. I was thinking that a Late 2011 MBP would probably be ideal for me, as it looks like I can ebay or craigslist one in good condition for a reasonable sum. Buying a retina is unfortunately entirely out of my budget. Can anyone that may have a Late-2011 MBP with the 6770 speak for it's ability to reasonably play games?

Since I'm sure it'll be asked why I'm considering a MBP, I've just found that they're generally the best laptops to have in terms of quality, failure rate, and they also hold their value pretty well should I decide I've made a terrible choice down the line. I realize that I can always Bootcamp a windows partition but honestly I will more than likely not find myself doing anything I need to do in windows in a VM window.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

They'll have several configurations, usually the base models and maxed out models. You should call and ask what they have.

Additionally, you can use the iOS app if you have a device and see what they've got in stock. Though it won't reflect the stock kept in store for genius swaps or when devices just launch.

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!

Mest0r posted:

Does anyone have an issue with their Macbook Pro not recognizing the built in iSight camera after waking up from sleep mode? I have a 2012 model Macbook Pro (15 inch base, upgraded the ram myself), and I'm having an issue where the camera won't get recognized by programs, like Skype or Photobooth, but apparently it still shows up in the System Report under USB section.

I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting and I'm try to determine whether or not I should just take it into the Apple store.

I get this constantly on my retina MBP. I have ManyCam installed (which doesn't work at all seemingly on the rMBP) and what seems like after sleeping, the FaceTime camera doesn't show up. A reboot almost always fixes the problem.

There has been a few strange issues with USB (I'm assuming the camera runs from USB as well) - such as, whenever I plug in an Android phone, the trackpad becomes unresponsive for 5-10 seconds. I've never experienced any of these problems before (2011 MBP/2011 MBA/2010 MBP), so it's a little annoying.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What's the best place to shop for an SSD?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

What's the best place to shop for an SSD?

Amazon, NewEgg, wherever there is a sale. Watch slickdeals

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Amazon, NewEgg, wherever there is a sale. Watch slickdeals

There's a thread in Deals, too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3475459

Just don't buy OCZ.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

quadratic posted:

My 2012 takes at least 15 seconds from "wake" to "usable".

I was pretty disappointed to learn that Dan Benjamin et al on the 5by5 podcasts were either exaggerating or irrationally gushing about how the new SSD-based MBAs are "instant wake from sleep, and oh god it's just like an iPad".

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Lexicon posted:

I was pretty disappointed to learn that Dan Benjamin et al on the 5by5 podcasts were either exaggerating or irrationally gushing about how the new SSD-based MBAs are "instant wake from sleep, and oh god it's just like an iPad".

Should I try resetting the SMC? I know a difference of 10 seconds isn't a big deal, but it would still be nice to speed up the process.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My 2007 MBP doesn't take anywhere near that long. I open it and it's pretty much ready to go. Five, ten seconds, tops.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Lexicon posted:

I said the same thing a while ago and was told its more like the difference between sleep and hibernate - if you sleep and wake it a few seconds later it is instantaneous, but if sits a while it will write the memory to disk, which has to be read again on wake, slowing the process.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

How long does it have to sit for it to hibernate? My 2012 MBA on 10.8.2 wakes up pretty much instantaneously when I close it in the evening and open in the morning. Like the time it takes for me to open the lid and it's ready for the password.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lexicon posted:

Mine wakes instantly from sleep. 2012 MBA.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have a Retina MBP. From opening the lid to having a cursor to enter the password is probably 2 or 3 seconds at most.

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

I've also noticed on my 2011 air that if I have it set to prompt for password on wake the process is noticeably slower than without one.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Sprat Sandwich posted:

How long does it have to sit for it to hibernate? My 2012 MBA on 10.8.2 wakes up pretty much instantaneously when I close it in the evening and open in the morning. Like the time it takes for me to open the lid and it's ready for the password.

An hour, I believe.

To be clear, I'm talking about when it's unplugged and the lid has been close for over an hour and it's gone into deep sleep/hibernate mode. My MBA recovers from the regular sleep state instantaneously.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Mu Zeta posted:

Mine wakes instantly from sleep. 2012 MBA.

Are you sure it's usable right from wake though? Mine displays what appears to be an image of the login screen... but it's not usable for at least another 10 seconds.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

quadratic posted:

An hour, I believe.

To be clear, I'm talking about when it's unplugged and the lid has been close for over an hour and it's gone into deep sleep/hibernate mode. My MBA recovers from the regular sleep state instantaneously.

I think it's like 4000 seconds, or 4200, or something.

You can disable deep sleep with:

sudo pmset -a standby 0

You can re-enable it by replacing zero with however many seconds you'd want it to wait before hitting hibernation.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lexicon posted:

Base 2012 Retina MBP, and when coming back from deep sleep (as explained above) it takes about 12 seconds. Regular sleep - instant. But you only run into the deep sleep once or twice a day.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lexicon posted:

Are you sure it's usable right from wake though? Mine displays what appears to be an image of the login screen... but it's not usable for at least another 10 seconds.

Yes. I open it and the screen turns on and is ready to use right away. I don't have a login screen though.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Stick100 posted:

Base 2012 Retina MBP, and when coming back from deep sleep (as explained above) it takes about 12 seconds. Regular sleep - instant. But you only run into the deep sleep once or twice a day.
Mine also does this, but it's still way faster at waking from hibernation than any of the PC laptops I've used at work so it doesn't really bother me. Waking from normal sleep is instant.

I think just about everyone mentioning this has a 2012 model, so maybe it's related to the changes they made to allow PowerNap to work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mercurius posted:

Mine also does this, but it's still way faster at waking from hibernation than any of the PC laptops I've used at work so it doesn't really bother me. Waking from normal sleep is instant.

I think just about everyone mentioning this has a 2012 model, so maybe it's related to the changes they made to allow PowerNap to work?

My 2010 Air started doing it way worse after I upped it to Lion from SL.