Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I'm playing the VIP gametype from Halo 3 in Halo Reach! Somebody discovered it somehow recently, and it's totally legit!!! The announcer says, "VIP. New VIP."

Send that poo poo to nondual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
I'm so so so excited to find out what the remake is going to be. I really hope it's Avalanche. That was such a fantastic map.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Valhalla or bust.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

MickRaider posted:

Send that poo poo to nondual

Does he still play? His brother got married so I never see him any more.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

DonkeyHotay posted:

Does he still play? His brother got married so I never see him any more.

Every once in a blue moon. Facebook is the way we find out when he plays.

Binskin
Dec 15, 2005
Better this then 'Stupid Newbie'.
Cool ... so i was hoping these guys wouldnt be back ...

Hoping its only in some form of zombies game mode or something :(

https://halo.xbox.com/en-us/Universe/Detail/war-games-screenshots/fbcd7c53-da90-4274-b4d3-86571f5e5280#imageNumber=6

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Binskin posted:

https://halo.xbox.com/en-us/Universe/Detail/war-games-screenshots/fbcd7c53-da90-4274-b4d3-86571f5e5280#imageNumber=6

Holy gently caress, they do not look at all like they use to. I don't like this new design half as much, it's more alien monster than parasitic zombie.

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011
They all look so happy now. ^_^

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

PriorMarcus posted:

Holy gently caress, they do not look at all like they use to. I don't like this new design half as much, it's more alien monster than parasitic zombie.

I preferred the spore-like blooms the old flood forms had, making it look more plant or fungus like. Those Cheshire grins are hilarious!

So is this the new zombie modes? About time the zombie models were zombie looking

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Binskin posted:

It says Flood multiplayer gametype, so long as they are not in the single player.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

I said come in! posted:

It says Flood multiplayer gametype, so long as they are not in the single player.

Looks like new flood types too, they are probably making all the new assets for the Flood since I am sure you they will reappear in this series somehow.

Put probably for some updated cooler infection type game mode.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Some dude (@haloathon) on Twitter went to London to play Halo 4 and just tweeted, "ZOMG. Valhalla! #Halo4UK"

I hate Valhalla :(

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Some dude (@haloathon) on Twitter went to London to play Halo 4 and just tweeted, "ZOMG. Valhalla! #Halo4UK"

I hate Valhalla :(

Called it.

Also, gently caress yes.

edit: Have a picture

As for the flood mode stuff, zombies in infected looking like flood was always a really cool idea IMO and I was disappointed it never happened. And, now, I'm still disappointed looking at those shots. The last shot shows the new flood zombie things, but all the previous shots show generic spartans shooting generic spartans. It looks more like the flood guys are something like an AI-controlled alpha zombie. Welp, just looked and realized those other shots are Infinity Slayer.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 26, 2012

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Funkmaster General posted:

Called it.

Also, gently caress yes.

edit: Have a picture

I wasn't really a fan of Valhalla. Hemorrhage was semi-bland. I really liked Coag though. They should've picked that. Valhalla sucks big wiener balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder if they're going to put the laser in the center because the beginning of the game is always who gets the laser first. I'll miss Hemorrhage for sure. Actually, I would be totally find with a brand new outdoor "Blood Gulch". I wonder if Valhalla will be Forgable and expansive like Forge World was. That would be sweet.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!
Wow, I am really disappointed with those flood models. They don't look remotely like how the flood did. They don't even seem to have the little red feeler things :smith:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

So I preordered at Gamestop due to convenience, but was really disappointed with their preorder stuff compared to some of the other retailers. If you're in the same boat, this may interest you.

Gamestop is adding three more pre-order bonuses to the deal. Looks like they are playing around with the same system they are using for their BLOPS2 preorder stuff, meaning these are coming in "waves," but the twist this time is that you get to vote on what each wave is.

The first wave of voting is... arctic BR camo vs green spartan avatar armor. Neither are particularly interesting but the choice is pretty obvious.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Morshu posted:

They don't even seem to have the little red feeler things :smith:

Maybe they are promethean or forerunner new type of forms?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Dvlos posted:

Maybe they are promethean or forerunner new type of forms?

How did those Spartans get infected? Those must be some really lousy super-soldiers.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I sure hope they hire a middle of the road Sci Fi author to write some books to fill in that important question of Halo Lore!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Did you call Greg Bear for a "middle of the road"?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
There's always the Karen Traviss books to look forward to. :shepface:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Morshu posted:

Wow, I am really disappointed with those flood models. They don't look remotely like how the flood did. They don't even seem to have the little red feeler things :smith:

Change for the sake of change, I guess. I also like how the busted rear end end of the Forward Unto Dawn got a makeover somehow despite being adrift in deep space for 4 years. There have always been some aesthetic changes between the games, but most of it was easily explained away or due to graphical upgrades while some of this stuff is just ...why? If that picture hadn't been labeled "Flood" then they could have been any generic FPS zombie monster.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
http://halo4nation.com/multiplayer/at-least-10-multiplayer-maps-announced/

So did anyone know that there are 10 MP maps + 3 Forge maps? I didn't find out about this until today. That's wicked. This day just keeps getting better and better!

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

VaultAggie posted:

There's always the Karen Traviss books to look forward to. :shepface:

Turns out the humans are evil and if you think otherwise you're just racist

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Promethean Weapon trailer from today's bulletin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Ksq4dvLuk

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

So wait, now we're going to have three sets of the same weapons? UNSC, Covie, Promethean?

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Friendly Factory posted:

So wait, now we're going to have three sets of the same weapons? UNSC, Covie, Promethean?

Isn't that how all multi-faction games weapons work?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Friendly Factory posted:

They're not the same; the Promethean weapons are obviously way better because they disintegrate people

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

V for Vegans posted:

Isn't that how all multi-faction games weapons work?

It's not necessarily a bad thing, I guess. It's just kinda weird that instead of making new weapons with your new faction you're just making the old ones again except with orange lasers instead of green. I doubt they'll ever do a Covie vs. Promo gametype, so why not make Promo weapon only matches more interesting?

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Friendly Factory posted:

It's not necessarily a bad thing, I guess. It's just kinda weird that instead of making new weapons with your new faction you're just making the old ones again except with orange lasers instead of green. I doubt they'll ever do a Covie vs. Promo gametype, so why not make Promo weapon only matches more interesting?

Yeah, I mean, the guns will have some differences, such as how covenant weapons always take down shields faster, but are worse against the unshielded body than human weapons, but at a rate that they balance out for time to kill. If they make the guns too different, then players will complain about weapon balance and such. It'd be cool, but we know how 343 feels about pissing off the complainy crowd.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
That music was pretty good, come to think of it all the music surrounding this game has been pretty good. The whole DeRez effect is slick as poo poo also.

BabyMauler fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 27, 2012

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

NTT posted:

They're not the same; the Promethean weapons are obviously way better because they disintegrate people

I don't know, based on that video it looks like the binary rifle is a 2 shot clip and the incineration is a single shot. Unfair in that the first shot is likely to always kill you sure, but you're going to be that much more vulnerable afterwords. Maybe.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'll miss the Plasma Cannon. I will never hear the term "Blueberries" ever again. I guess the Inceration Cannon will be... oranges?

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

BabyMauler posted:

That music was pretty good, come to think of it all the music surrounding this game has been pretty good. The whole DeRez effect is slick as poo poo also.

The remix album for this game is going to be so so so sick.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Friendly Factory posted:

This isn't the Resistance series with outlandish multifaceted weapons apparently. I agree this is a wasted opportunity to get creative with weapons.

On a side note, your avatar pic is mesmerizing, goes great with the deadmau5 album I'm listening to. :monocle:

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
If you make 30 weapons which all do different stuff you end up with too many guns that are way too situational leading to that "best gun in the game" problem. If almost every gun is situational, players start to feel that picking up most of them is stupid because "well poo poo, how often does that situation really come up?" People will gravitate toward the most utilitarian gun, like the BR/Carbine in Halo 2 and 3, which were good at pretty much any range besides "across Avalanche."

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Then only make 2 sets of guns, what's the point of three pistols, three shotguns, three assault rifles, three snipers.. etc. Or have an alternate fire ability that is significantly different between the three. Just an idea.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
I'm not disagreeing with you at all; just pointing out the problem with an overly diverse sandbox. Still, if the Prometheans only used the bog-standard Halo arsenal they'd lose a lot of the "scary new enemy with scary new tech" thing. Kind of a bitch of a position for 343. The new monsters need new guns or they'd just feel like Covenant re-skins, but they don't want to make the new guns stupid over/underpowered gimmicks. The unfortunate solution is to make them high tech-looking versions of the same ol' poo poo which leads to the guns feeling like re-skins (with bonus new visual effects).

"I don't get it, it's just another shotgun."

"Yeah, a shotgun so powerful it DISINTEGRATES YOU!"

"This is the coolest new gun ever!"

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"The Promethean Farfitfagorz is a close range shotgun style weapon, it also transforms into a mini helicopter!"

Would have been cooler :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Eh, there were 3 types of weapons in the other games too. Human, Covenant, and Brute. The mauler was like a shotgun, but behaved differently enough to be cool. I'm hoping the other new weapons are different enough as well.

• Locked thread