Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Camera is on!
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/moralgriever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Some more young cochins! First picture of each is one of the old pictures I first posted of them.

Boo the blue cockerel at 12-ish weeks old.

Boo the blue cockerel now at 5-ish months old

Soggy buff silkies in the background drying in the sun.

Fuzzums the black pullet at 12-ish weeks.

Fuzzums at 5-ish months old.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

your cochins are beautiful Tim, Boo is so handsome! You know that means you gotta find a princess dress for him, right? >.>

Also, cam is on, gonna leave it on until 10 pm or so PST.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Last set of baby before and after pictures! I tried to get good photos of them but they really dont like cooperating ,even if I put treats down for them they just rotate around so ive always got a lens full of fluffy rear end.

B.P. Richfield at 12-ish weeks old.

B.P. Richfield at 5-ish months old.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Chido posted:

She falls asleep on my hand as soon as I grab her. She spreads her wee itty bitty wings and neck and kinda flattens against my palm. Hence the change of name to pancake :keke:

Too cute!
Sorry to hear about the other chick :( Glad Pancake is doing well, and being a little loudmouth.. :P

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

I can absolutely vouch for what Tim said...mine were being VERY photogenic, tooling around in the flowers...until I pointed the camera at them--then they swung about with precision that would make a military drill team jealous, and presented me with their best side:

I hung around for a bit hoping they'd turn back around, even called 'chick-chick-chick', but no soap. Every so often one of them would sneak a glance over their shoulder to check if I was still there, then go back to showing me their fannies.

Brats. :argh:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I can absolutely vouch for what Tim said...mine were being VERY photogenic, tooling around in the flowers...until I pointed the camera at them--then they swung about with precision that would make a military drill team jealous, and presented me with their best side:

Ahahahaha! Look at the two on the right, plastered up against the wall just to avoid being photographed. Chickens are naturally camera-shy, I guess. :)

Tim, your cochins are adorable, as usual. Very pretty combs! And B.P. Richfield has such lovely splash coloring!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I've been debating whether to take the chicks downstairs now that they are quiet, or keep them here. My room gets really warm at noon, warm enough that I need the ceiling and shelf fans on so I can be comfortable. The thing is, the chicks don't seem to mind, and I can even turn off the heat lamp for a couple of hours and they don't seem get cold.

I read that chicks need to be warm, between 90-100 degrees, and my room is easily above 90F from 1-5pm. I gotta go to school today and I need to leave at 2:40pm, my nieces get home at around 3:15-3:30. If I leave the ceiling fan on medium speed, and part of the cage covered so they can have a shelter from the moving air, would they be ok while the girls get home to keep an eye on them?

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Chido posted:

I've been debating whether to take the chicks downstairs now that they are quiet, or keep them here. My room gets really warm at noon, warm enough that I need the ceiling and shelf fans on so I can be comfortable. The thing is, the chicks don't seem to mind, and I can even turn off the heat lamp for a couple of hours and they don't seem get cold.

I read that chicks need to be warm, between 90-100 degrees, and my room is easily above 90F from 1-5pm. I gotta go to school today and I need to leave at 2:40pm, my nieces get home at around 3:15-3:30. If I leave the ceiling fan on medium speed, and part of the cage covered so they can have a shelter from the moving air, would they be ok while the girls get home to keep an eye on them?

Thanks for the live show Chido! I think I figured out how to do the instant chat, I left it in the Ustream chat thing for you to read. It is still there so you might want to check it out.

TIM those chickens are SO ADORABLE! Question Tim, do the black cochins have a green iridescence to them similar to black australorp chickens?

As always, thank you to everyone for posting the pictures.

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 24, 2012

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

Yes they do,it doesnt show up on my terrible camera but when they sun hits them they have an emerald sheen.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Yes they do,it doesnt show up on my terrible camera but when they sun hits them they have an emerald sheen.

I think it's hard for any camera to pick up that sheen! Your birds are beautiful.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Tim if your black cochins wee standard size, I'd probably cap outside your house with Roo, him dressed up in his most classy tux, and I'd have him lure a dashing black cochin girl from your flock :evil: Btw, my chicks are sleeping atm, but I turned on the cam if anybody wanna see them doze off.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Btw, my chicks are sleeping atm, but I turned on the cam if anybody wanna see them doze off.

Those two chicks are just sawin' logs, passed out on the bottom of the cage. Love the chipmunk stripes on the Easter Egger. :3:

What breed is Pancake again?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Chickies are about a week old now, what kind of treats can I start giving them? I put a clod of dirt in the crate that they destroyed in less than a day. I think the chickies are bored XD.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Chickies are about a week old now, what kind of treats can I start giving them? I put a clod of dirt in the crate that they destroyed in less than a day. I think the chickies are bored XD.

Chickies want Chido to entertain them! I think it's hilarious how every time you'd go near the cage, they'd come rushing over to see you. :3:

Isn't it about time for some raw CORN? :munch:

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
My button hens have started laying! 5 eggs this week. :3: I put them next to a medium chicken egg for comparison.

I really want to get jumbo bred coturnix (Japanese) quail for their meat value. Their eggs are also a lot larger than the button eggs. They mature just as fast as buttons, though, and are ready for processing at 8-12 weeks.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

PARDALIS - Congratulations! That is so amazing. Do you have some eggs in an incubator? If so, how is that going?

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

I had a bunch of eggs in my 'bator but the temperature spiked and dropped a few times and I believe they failed. If I am wrong, they will be hatching any day but I'm not holding my breath. I am going to break the incubator down and see what I can do to further insulate it as well as get a fan to circulate air and try again in a few weeks, probably with coturnix eggs instead of button eggs.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

... Pancake really made up for her traumatic trip in a box, drat chickie is getting so fat :keke: And Waffle looks so much like a chipmunk with her stripes and fluffy cheeks!

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Chido posted:

... Pancake really made up for her traumatic trip in a box, drat chickie is getting so fat :keke: And Waffle looks so much like a chipmunk with her stripes and fluffy cheeks!

You know you must post pics of fat Pancakes, right? Because we need to see the babies.

Also, you have such a breakfast brood. The Breakfast (Hen)Club?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Vaga42bond, you can watch them here tonight. I'll leave the camera on for a couple of hours while I level my priest in WoW (ugh new expansion = too addictive).

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/moralgriever

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Screenshot of Chido holding Pancake. You can see how plump she is now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

And Chido holding Waffle.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Great pics. :) Pancake has meaty thighs, good chicken!

As for goodies, yes, the raw corn on the cob can be given now, just shave the tops (carefully! off the tops of the kernals with a knife before giving it to them to make it easy to eat (also easier to peck, accidentally get a beakful of yummy corn and discover that it is FOOD). Peeled, diced tomatoes and grapes are also great, and any day now the tiny mealworms.

You MUST have the cam on for their first bout of Mealworm Chicken Football. :keke:

Pardalis, the quail eggs are beautiful!

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

QuailCam is go! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nakedmolecat-quailcam

I'm about to put some stuff in for them to pick at.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Whiteboy the quail on alert! :)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

CHIDO IS BROADCASTING LIVE NOW!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

ChidoCam Video #1: Where's Mom?

Chido leaves the room to get coffee and Waffle becomes very upset and starts searching for her "Mom." There follows four minutes of frantic, non-stop cheeping/screeching for Chido, with both chicks performing a duet at the end. Chido returns and the chicks are happy again. :3:

http://youtu.be/4pQpGTGeV3Y

Below: Waffle looks out the front of the cage for Chido.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 29, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Omg they love you Chido. :3:

Thanks for the video, I keep missing the cam.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Ah ha ha, the relief when she came back was palpable. :keke:

We ordered 3000 giant mealworms today, in a few days we're gonna have some VERY happy chickens.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Inveigle posted:

ChidoCam Video #1: Where's Mom?

Chido leaves the room to get coffee and Waffle becomes very upset and starts searching for her "Mom." There follows four minutes of frantic, non-stop cheeping/screeching for Chido, with both chicks performing a duet at the end. Chido returns and the chicks are happy again. :3:

http://youtu.be/4pQpGTGeV3Y

Imprinting in action!

The peeps just get louder and louder. Once they got to their loudest, my finches started cheeping along. It was hilarious.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

:siren:MY BUTTON QUAIL EGGS ARE HATCHING!:supaburn:

Watch it live here! http://youtu.be/5STppb7llSU :getin:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Pardalis posted:

:siren:MY BUTTON QUAIL EGGS ARE HATCHING!:supaburn:

Watch it live here! http://youtu.be/5STppb7llSU :getin:

Later on could you put the cam in the brooder box with the little baby quail and do a livestream? :3:

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 29, 2012

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

New stream here: http://youtu.be/kDqruWpqO9Q , old one will show moving egg in the start if you replay it :3:

I will definitely set a cam up in the brooder.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Pardalis posted:

New stream here: http://youtu.be/kDqruWpqO9Q , old one will show moving egg in the start if you replay it :3:

I will definitely set a cam up in the brooder.

I know that it's difficult to get cameras set up, but is there any way at all to improve the focus? It's really hard to see anything. Does the camera need to be pulled back a bit to get the picture in focus?

So, Google/Youtube offers streaming video now? I've watched streaming on Livestream, Ustream and Veetle, but never Youtube.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

My roomie set it up and I am at work so there isn't anything that I can do about it right now. It is also being shot through a tiny plastic window in the top of the 'bator with a flashlight as light source so quality is bound to be low. I will mess with it when I get home, though. It is her account as well so I can't attest to anything about the features.

Here is the fresh streaming URL (she had to mess with it again before leaving) http://youtu.be/LipyhM4N-t8

E: Lots of movement right now! I think after a bit more rest, this one will pop out. :3:

Pardalis fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 29, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Pardalis posted:

My roomie set it up and I am at work so there isn't anything that I can do about it right now. It is also being shot through a tiny plastic window in the top of the 'bator with a flashlight as light source so quality is bound to be low. I will mess with it when I get home, though. It is her account as well so I can't attest to anything about the features.

Here is the fresh streaming URL (she had to mess with it again before leaving) http://youtu.be/LipyhM4N-t8

E: Lots of movement right now! I think after a bit more rest, this one will pop out. :3:

Haha! Wow. Flashlight for an incubator light source? And I thought Nettle Soup's incubator (using a light bulb) was low tech. :)

And yeah, I can see the focus being off since it's being shot through a plastic window. Later on, when you move the cam to the brooder box, the image will be a lot better.

I see a pip on the center egg! GO BABY QUAIL! GO! :dance:

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The flashlight is just on top of the incubator for the video; it is a Little Giant model with the traditional radiant heat coils in the top and no light. I will be home soon to mess with it!

The middle egg is mostly broken open but the chick is still getting through the inner membrane. Since the eggs are so tiny, that membrane is extra strong and it takes them a while.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

New stream, two eggs almost all the way open!! better lighting etc, too

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nakedmolecat-quailcam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Pardalis posted:

New stream, two eggs almost all the way open!! better lighting etc, too