Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Synonymous posted:

Hey so does anyone with RE5 on 360 want to help me through it? I'm up to 3-2.

I'm a good shot, I just... have trouble dealing with the drop-dead retarded AI. Plus it's really no fun without another person.

What's your GT? Mine is Clamknuckle, shoot me an invite and I'll join you if I see you on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

So the GameSpot review of RE6 was online for a moment and it got taken down almost immediately. Score was 4.5 out of 10.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Haha, christ, and they currently have a livestream running called "ask the developers about RE 6"! Games journalism is so loving awkward.

Also of note, that's the same score he gave Operation Racoon City. Now, I'm not looking forward to RE 6, but I really can't imagine Capcom loving up so badly that it's at all comparable to that piece of poo poo.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
This is going to be the most polarizing RE. The game does have its fair share of flaws and seems to be a textbook example of design by committee, but I get the feeling most of the negative reviews will be based on the opinion that it doesn't feel like RE anymore.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
What I experienced in the demo was pretty damning if it's at all representative of the final game. It could have been called "Resident Evil: Attention Deficit Disorder of the Dead" for how unfocused and slapped together it felt.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Almost Smart posted:

What I experienced in the demo was pretty damning if it's at all representative of the final game. It could have been called "Resident Evil: Attention Deficit Disorder of the Dead" for how unfocused and slapped together it felt.

Im just waiting on all the fanboys to start criticizing a review of a game that they never played. It would be just like Twilight Princess all over again.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
Sounds like this guy hates the cutscene heavy approach. I wonder what he thinks of the Metal Gear series.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Spermando posted:

This is going to be the most polarizing RE. The game does have its fair share of flaws and seems to be a textbook example of design by committee, but I get the feeling most of the negative reviews will be based on the opinion that it doesn't feel like RE anymore.
If that were the case, 4 would have gotten terrible reviews too. There were hardly anything that resembled zombies in that game. No giant labyrinths to explore and get completely lost in, and no frustrating puzzles.

I'm not sure what direction they're thinking 6 is going to take them, it's like a poorly thought out Gears of War clone (Which, by the way was a Resident Evil 4 clone)

In my opinion the game would be leagues better if they cameras worked exactly the same way as they did in 4. I like using melee, but this game makes it so incredibly easy to hit everything to death without firing your gun. If it wants to be like Gears of War, it's really lacking that balance between using your gun and having satisfying melee interactions.

I'm imagining Resident Evil 6 using GoW's execute system and it sounds so much more fun the the strange, sometimes shoddy melee system in 6.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I'm gonna bet the biggest offender is Leon's campaign, cause drat all the demos from Leon's are baaaaaaaaaad; while Chris's and Jake's are great once you get used to the new controls and the cover mechanics.
Seriously, just sprint and slide to cover, much better than aiming and X

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I've heard the PC port of ORC was kind of crap. Is it still worth picking up if I can convince a friend to?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I've heard the PC port of ORC was kind of crap. Is it still worth picking up if I can convince a friend to?

It works fine for me, GFWL aside. It'll get really boring if you're playing solo but with friends, at budget price, you'll get a lot of fun out of it. Be warned the game is quite repetitive though - best play a mission at a time or so, unless you're really on a roll. Overall the game is just simple, schloky fun. They don't seem to have made anywhere near as much use of the lets gently caress with canon approach originally advertised, sadly. :(

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Honest Thief posted:

I'm gonna bet the biggest offender is Leon's campaign, cause drat all the demos from Leon's are baaaaaaaaaad; while Chris's and Jake's are great once you get used to the new controls and the cover mechanics.

Pretty much this.

I'm under embargo too, but I've played a review build, and "polarizing" is a good word for it. There are a lot of finicky little separate factors going into an RE6 review that all have absolutely bugger-all to do with the game itself, foremost among them being whether or not the reviewer is nostalgic for the late nineties.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Is it bad that I preferred the missions in ORC to those in 5? I've played ORC again and again, even solo, trying to get the achieves for higher difficulties, but I pretty much have to be at gunpoint to play 5 and I have never touched it alone.

From the demo, Leon's campaign looks good, I think. Haven't played Jake's yet but man, Chris's section. I played the first couple minutes and had so many issues and urghhhhh

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.destructoid.com/capcom-may-remake-resident-evil-2-with-enough-fan-support-235736.phtml

Give Capcom more money and they may remake RE2.

I personally think its bullshit plus they'll probably gently caress it up somehow. There's a community blog on d-toid there that actually presents a very good point, RE5 and 6 take themselves far to seriously whereas 4 was a lot more light-hearted yet still managed to retain its atmosphere and tension.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Just played the demo, feels like they improved a lot of poo poo and the new dodge mechanic is sweet.

Chris' chapter however really feels like those awful parts in RE5 where the enemies had guns and a cover system appeared out of nowhere. Nobody liked those parts Capcom :argh:
Leon seems cool though. It's fun messing around with the slow rear end zombies, just sliding around and doing 180 flips and meleeing like an rear end in a top hat. I also noticed that you could counter the zombies' weapon attacks and kill them with their own axes or knives or whatever :cool:

e:

Alteisen posted:

http://www.destructoid.com/capcom-may-remake-resident-evil-2-with-enough-fan-support-235736.phtml

Give Capcom more money and they may remake RE2.

I personally think its bullshit plus they'll probably gently caress it up somehow. There's a community blog on d-toid there that actually presents a very good point, RE5 and 6 take themselves far to seriously whereas 4 was a lot more light-hearted yet still managed to retain its atmosphere and tension.
Never really understood the folks who said RE5 was too serious. I mean I guess the developers might have been serious with it, but man there is something wrong with you if you aren't grinning like gently caress at the cutscenes and marveling how they got every single horrible b-movie cliche into one game.

smuh fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 27, 2012

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Does anyone else look at that "6" logo and see someone blowing a giraffe?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Alteisen posted:

Counterpoint: Jake's entire campaign.

That poo poo is in no way serious. Leon gets kind of jokey towards the end, too.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I can't believe some of you are saying you dislike this game. The demo was a bit confusing at first after playing so much Resi 4/5 but after it clicks it was just loads of hilarious fun, Leons bit was definately the best of the three too. How are some of you saying it was the worst? What did you think of Resi 5?

Pretty much nothing in the demo I played took itself seriously, too, so i'm not sure how you're saying it's super serious poo poo.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Last night I joined someone's RE6 demo Leon campaign and spent the entire game on the ground, just rolling everywhere to get around. This is surprisingly viable as you can roll up stairs and turning on your back is about as fast as while standing. I also think it is faster to scoot backwards than forwards while on the ground, but the disadvantages of this as a movement technique are obvious. Unfortunately there are a few desks it looks like you shold be able to crawl under that have invisible walls, and any tight areas will find you accidentally taking cover against something. While you can give the coop praise/thanks/commands from the floor it doesn't let you do inventory management in that position. You will also run out of ammo very quickly without access to melee moves.

Despite playing through it several times I still get unreasonable angry that you have to go through the obvious metal detector trap in that level.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

smuh posted:

Never really understood the folks who said RE5 was too serious. I mean I guess the developers might have been serious with it, but man there is something wrong with you if you aren't grinning like gently caress at the cutscenes and marveling how they got every single horrible b-movie cliche into one game.

Chris and Sheva play the entire thing completely straight, but every other character in the game is a hilarious, raving, campy maniac. All this RE5 talk has me thinking I might make my brother help me finish up my Professional run so I can finally get that platinum.

I've just had an extreme make-ovah!

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

Leyburn posted:

Chris and Sheva play the entire thing completely straight, but every other character in the game is a hilarious, raving, campy maniac. All this RE5 talk has me thinking I might make my brother help me finish up my Professional run so I can finally get that platinum.

I hate that guy...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Chris and Sheva are probably the biggest reason that game is so boring. Chris has been around for what, four games now and has negative personality.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm pretty sure EVERYONE does.

It's a shame too, because if not for that, the logo is actually pretty well put together.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Leyburn posted:

It's Chris and Sheva's deadpan acting that make the game, though. They get thrown into a bunch of preposterous situations and rather than freaking out about them they're just like "Oh, this again, I guess we'll deal with it...whatever". One of the best moments in the game is when you're riding that giant elevator down in the Tricell lab, and it stops. Sheva questions why, then all the alarm sirens start blaring and the giant spider BOW drops down. Chris's "Oh, that's why" is the best line in the game.

edit - Remember, you can use your Knife while you're on the floor, too. Slide tackling zombies is a perfectly viable tactic.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Thievery posted:

Chris's "Oh, that's why" is the best line in the game.

Actually, I think we all know the greatest line in the game belongs to Mr Albert Wesker...

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Thievery posted:

edit - Remember, you can use your Knife while you're on the floor, too. Slide tackling zombies is a perfectly viable tactic.

Helena doesn't have a knife.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I know there's a shop locally who will break the street date and put RE6 on the selves either tomorrow or Saturday, whenever their copies arrive. But I guess an extra 3-4 day wait is worth the 3 free mercenaries maps I get with Amazon.

drat you pre-order DLC for doing your job.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can't believe 3 loving mercs maps are DLC.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Luckily for us in the UK, we get all three with the one pre-order. In America it's one map per retailer, which is a kick in the nuts.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

odark thirty posted:

Helena doesn't have a knife.

Then play as Leon, like everyone should be doing all the time.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Alteisen posted:

I can't believe 3 loving mercs maps are DLC.

Have they said whether or not those maps will be available at some later date?

Thievery posted:

I certainly can't argue with that logic. Everyone should be Leon at all times. In fact, there should be a skill unlock where both you and your partner are Leon.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Thievery posted:

To be fair, Helena starts with a loving Hydra.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

To be fair, Helena starts with a loving Hydra.

Okay so can she slide tackle zombies and slash off their kneecaps with it because this is the most hilarious thing. (no, she cannot, play leon)

I have been reminded from this thread that I haven't yet played as the alternate characters. Might be time to give it a shot.

Thievery fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 27, 2012

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I just recently started playing RE5 on the pc. Modding it is pretty fun after playing it stock on the 360 for so long. All of the punches, all of the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WKpXUZo4Go

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Tremors posted:

I just recently started playing RE5 on the pc. Modding it is pretty fun after playing it stock on the 360 for so long. All of the punches, all of the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WKpXUZo4Go

Where does one find mods for the PC? I might buy the PC version on the steam sale and I need to be assured it won't be the same as the PS3 version if I can help it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of RE5 on PC, I'm having a bunch of trouble with it, the stupid games for windows live thing refuses to recognize my gamertag even though I can log on just fine from the website, other times it just crashes on start up.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Captain Walker posted:

Where does one find mods for the PC? I might buy the PC version on the steam sale and I need to be assured it won't be the same as the PS3 version if I can help it.

You can do a lot of stuff with the trainer found here: http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=13366&st=0

That forum also has other mods and character skins.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ghostnuke posted:

Not at all

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I finally played through some of the demo, and I think they should have just made a beat-em-up. Seeing Leon bulldog a random zombie after smashing another zombie's face into a wall, just kind of made me give up on shooting anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

GUI posted:

So the GameSpot review of RE6 was online for a moment and it got taken down almost immediately. Score was 4.5 out of 10.

Ouch. I haven't read the RE thread in a while because I've been avoiding demo spoilers and all that jazz, but the release date is coming up and I realized I still have a copy of RE6 on preorder from Amazon from the pre-tax era (California now has to pay sales tax on Sold By Amazon purchases)

No tax and $10 amazon credit... sounds nice, but with a score like that? I really enjoyed RE5 (and even ORC). Will I probably enjoy spending $58 on Resident Evil 6 to play with my cousin?

(It... does have local split screen right? And in the form of RE5's aspect ratio keeping or full splitscreen?)