Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Star Wars: The Clone Wars, is a CGI animation show in the Star Wars universe, taking place between Episode II and Episode III, narrating the events of the Clone Wars.

It is known for two things: overwriting every kind of older Star Wars canon because George Lucas likes it and killing off Clones and Droids. Often very brutally.

Season 4 saw us exploring more of the fringes of the galaxy, like the Dathomir Nightsisters, Mon Calamari, Slavers (and the incompetent Jedi they capture) and the lovely command of Jedi gone bad with the Clone Troopers giving General Krell a taste of Order 66.

Why to watch this series:
- It is the nearest thing we've got to the feel of the OT
- It's better than the Prequels
- Anakin has a personality
- Dave Filoni of Avatar: The Last Airbender fame is the showrunner
- From time to time, when George dozes off in the office they manage to slip in pretty awesome episodes
- Space battles, lightsaber battles, hundreds of droids shot to scrap metal
- Surprising amount of torture, killing and maiming for a children's show. WTF? Did they just incinerate a whole nest of Genosians with a flame thrower?
- It fleshes out Anakin's fall to the Dark Side quite well
- The CGI doesn't look out of place this time!
- A real insight into the inner workings of the political bureaucracy of the Senate and Mandalore in season 3 (thanks for that, George!)

Official Site (Lucas)

Wookiepedia

CN website

Season 5 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFQRoVlePvg

"Ask Dave": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2dh4aOZCiU

Old Thread for Season 4

The series covers the years 22 BBY–19 BBY (Before the Battle of Yavin aka Episode IV aka Star Wars: A New Hope) in a non-linear fashion, meaning the narrative jumps around in time and location between the mini-arcs. Although last season was a lot more chronological than before.

For those who don't know their lore, the Clone Wars were the war between the Galactic Republic ("Clone Army") and the Confederacy of Independent Systems aka The Separatist Army ("Clankers", "Droid Army"), spanning three years and the whole Star Wars galaxy.

The whole war was orchestrated by Supreme Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious and ended with the death of Separatist Leaders Count Dooku and General Grievous and the execution of Order 66, the murder of all Jedi except two*.

The result was the foundation of the Galactic Empire with Emperor Palpatine as supreme leader, Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker as his right hand, a powerless Senate, a destroyed Jedi Order and the Sith victorious. All in all not a pleasant outcome.

*actually a random number between two and two dozen

Usually the series follows a small group of Jedi and Clone Troopers, centered around Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ahsoka Tano. However, from time to time you get episodes that focus on the clones, on other Jedi or on certain villains. These are usually the more interesting episodes.

The Protagonists

The Galactic Republic

Anakin Skywalker

"A lot of General Skywalker's plans involve falling"

A Jedi Knight and General of the Grand Army of the Republic. Also known as The Chosen One, The One To Bring Balance To The Force and destined to fall to the Dark Side and become Darth Vader, known for being Darth Vader. Hope I didn't spoil that for you.
He is one of the most powerful Jedi Knights, an excellent pilot (although his ships tend to crash a lot).

Whatever units he commands tend to be in the heat of the battle. Usually only for a short time until they are shot to slag. If there is a daring rescue or a fight against impossible odds - Anakin Skywalker is usually the one leading it. He also likes to torture and kill in cold blood if he thinks it saves lives.

He is the Jedi Master of Ahsoka Tano and the commander of the 501st Clone Trooper Legion, which would be later known as "Vader's Fist" with Captain Rex acting as his right hand. His flagship is usually the Venator-class Star Destroyer Resolute under Admiral Wullf Yularen.

He was the former Padawan of Obi-Wan Kenobi, his best friend. He is secretly married to Senator Padmé Amidala.
He is about 21 years old at the time of the series.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"Senators, I presume you're acquainted with the collection of half-truths and hyperbole known as Obi-Wan Kenobi."

Jedi Master, member of the Jedi High Council, General in the Grand Army of the Republic.
Obi-Wan is the former apprentice of Qui-Gon Jinn and former master of Anakin Skywalker. He usually takes time to weigh his actions and thinks before acting, often taking a defensive approach without much aggression, making him the polar opposite of Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano. He also prefers to resolve conflicts peacefully, earning him the nickname The Negotiator. However, once committed to violence he is a very accomplished Lightsaber fighter, pilot and commander.

He often acts as Anakin Skywalker's superior (being a Jedi Master and Council member), although he seeks consent in his command decisions.
His liasion officer to his Clone Troops is usually Marshal Commander Cody and he commands the 7th Sky Corps. If being under the command of Obi-Wan increased your life expectancy compared to Anakin Skywalker isn't quite clear, his troops got shot out of the sky quite a lot too.
He is about 39 years during The Clone Wars. His only known romantic relationship was with Satine Kryze, the Duchess of Mandalore and leader of the Council of Neutral Systems. She's pretty hot.

Ahsoka Tano

"This must be a mistake, I didn't request a Padawan"

Jedi Padawan of Anakin Skywalker. Commander in the Grand Army of the Republic.
Ahsoka is a Togruta girl of 14 years, assigned to Anakin Skywalker by Jedi Masters Yoda and Obi-Wan Kenobi to help Anakin to let go of attachments and Ahsoka to learn responsibility and become more self-assured. As usual for plans made by Jedi Masters it failed. Anakin became very attached of Ahsoka after some initial resentments and Ahsoka is pretty reckless, following her masters example, getting her subordinates killed and ignoring orders.

Ahsoka is - like Anakin - exceptionally powerful for her age, especially skilled in lightsaber combat, but also reckless, and stubborn, often ignoring the bigger picture and getting lost in the details of the fight, getting people killed or wounded. But hey, what to expect if you put a 14 year old on the battle field to lead combat units?

She has all the traits Goons hate and thus is pretty disliked. But since she has abandoned the use of annoying nicknames and generally acts more grown up and subdued, she is far more bearable (YMMV of course).

Anakin Skywalker is fiercely protective of her, going as far as torturing enemy commanders to get her whereabouts. He's pretty much like an older brother to her. Since she isn't seen anywhere in Episode III people fear - or hope - she might end up dead at some point.
As Commander in the Grand Army of the Republic she commands independent missions, usually under the overall command of Anakin Skywalker or Obi-Wan Kenobi. Or doing guard duty in the library if she once again ignored orders and got people killed.

CC-7567 "Rex"

"In my book, experience outranks everything."

Captain of Torrent Company of the 501st Clone Trooper Legion and liaison officer of Anakin Skywalker to his Clone Troops. Rex seems to have inherited more of Jango Fett than others, judging by his preferred fighting style with two blaster pistols.

He isn't afraid to speak his mind to his superiors, and like Anakin prefers the direct approach. Despite this he is rather adept in defusing tense situations.
He considers Anakin Sykwalker and Ahsoka Tano as his friends, as far as it goes with superiors and Jedi. He is good friends with Commander Cody and usually seen with him if not with the Jedi.

He was born around 32 BBY (about 10 years before the Clone Wars), but thanks to the accelerated growth in the tanks he appears to be around 30.

CC-2224 "Cody"

"Would it have been too much to ask for the order to have come through before I gave him back the bloody lightsaber?"

Marshal Commander of the 7th Sky Corps, liaison officer to the Clone Troops for Obi-Wan Kenobi. He is a no-nonsense commander, focused and level-headed. As such he gets along splendidly with Obi-Wan Kenobi. Of course that doesn't prevent him from executing the hard-wired Order 66, although he didn't manage to kill Obi-Wan (or wasn't interested in trying too hard...).

He is very loyal, an excellent strategist and close-combat fighter, skills that got him promoted very quickly. Good friends with Captain Rex and usually seen with him when not with his unit.
Born around 32 BBY too, but a bit older in appearance than Captain Rex.

The Separatists

Count Dooku

"Dooku. Our greatest student. Our greatest failure."

The public face of the Separatists. He was the former Paragon Jedi Master, but got fed up with the rules and the stagnation and the Senate telling them what to do and became apprentice to Sith Lord Sidious (Palpatine), getting assigned the name of Darth Tyrannus. Probably as punishment. Although compared to his predecessor Darth Maul he got off lucky.

He was the former apprentice of Thame Cerulian and former master of Qui-Gon. He is considered as one of the most powerful Jedi of all time and one smooth badass (being played by Christopher Lee in the movies does that to you).
His only superior is Darth Sidious and for all the world he is the leader of the Separatists, since Palpatine likes to stay behind the curtain.

Count Dooku is what you get if Christopher Lee would be a Jedi Master. He is an accomplished philosopher, orator, politician, tactician, strategist and warrior. He knows for sure what sound a person makes when gutted with a knife.

He thinks (Dark) Jedi should rule of the people for their own good. Considering the crappy leadership the Jedi Council shows that would be a bad idea.

Despite his genteel manner and gentlemen villain appearance he has no qualms killing, torturing or sending thousands to their death for The Greater Good.
He is master to Asajj Ventress and Sith Apprentice to Darth Sidious. No known sexual relationships, although he probably could have them all, regardless of age, gender or species because he is Christopher Lee clad in a black robe.
He is about 80 at the time of the series.

General Grievous

"I'm no errand boy. And I'm not in this war for Dooku's politics. I am the leader of the most powerful droid army the galaxy has ever seen!"

Born Qymaen jai Sheelal, a Kaleesh general, he became the Supreme Commander of the Separatist forces and a cyborg - how and why is currently in flux and there are at least two canon-stories. He is obsessed with killing Jedi and uses their lightsabers as his personal weapons - usually at least four of them.

He usually leads space assaults and blockades on Republic territory and usually gets beaten pretty badly by the Republic after some initial successes. Although he knows when to abandon ship, so he can survive into Episode III.
Loves to fight Jedi. If the odds are even. Even means in his favor. Usually tilted by 8-16 special Commando droids to subdue Jedi.
Doesn't really have a flagship because they got destroyed pretty quickly.
Unknown age.

Pre Vizsla

"For generations, my ancestors fought proudly as warriors against the Jedi. Now, that woman tarnishes the very name Mandalorian. Defend her, if you will."

Leader of the Mandalorian terrorist group Death Watch. Young and inexperienced, tried unsuccessfully to facilitate a Republic intervention on Mandalore, intending to drive Mandalore into the arms of the Separatists under his leadership as reaction. Instead Mandalore remained neutral. Uses a stolen black lightsaber as weapon. Shows that even a black lightsaber can't make you a badass villain. Anyway, black isn't as cool as pink.

Unaligned, usually working against the Republic

Cad Bane

"Sure, sure. As long as I get paid, it makes no difference to me."

Cad Bane is what you get if Lee Van Cleef would be a Duros Bounty Hunter, #1 in the galaxy since Jango Fett had an encounter with a pink lightsaber. He is pragmatic, resourceful, clever, quick, ruthless, brutal, without a conscience, a prime fighter and has a cool hat.
He does everything for anyone if the price is right. Usually employed by Darth Sidious against the Jedi, who he plays like a fiddle.

Hondo Onaka

"You know what I always say... speak softly, and drive a big tank."

Weequay pirate captain and magnificent bastard. Managed to take Count Dooku hostage. And Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi who came to ransom him.

Squeezes undefended farming communities for money and shakes down whatever he can for some loot. He and his gang decided to stay neutral during the Clone Wars, raiding both sides whenever possible. He has a moral code and honours it, it's just impossible to understand it.
He is seldom seen without his intelligent pet monkey lizard and had a relationship with Aurra Sing for some time.

Boba Fett

"Maybe I'd have grown up a nice guy if a Jedi hadn't cut my dad's head off in front of me!"

Mace Windu killed his father, now he hates Jedi and wants revenge. 10 years old, very clever and determined, but without the necessary skills and knowledge. Aurra Sing and Hondo Onaka took it onto themselves to help him and guide him.

He still shows some scruples when confronted what will be necessary to get things done on his path to revenge.

Savage Opress

"I was betrayed by Ventress. The Jedi are after me. I'm not nearly strong enough to defeat them all!"

Yes, really. Savage. Opress.
He is a Dathomirian Zabrak Nightbrother, force sensitive, and was selected to be Count Dooku's new apprentice (and at the same time Ventress recruited him to kill Dooku). He broke free of both allegiances found his presumed dead brother: Sith Lord Darth Maul (yes, really). Don't look at me, I would love some of the stuff George smokes too.

Darth Maul

"You may have forgotten me, but I will never forget you. You cannot imagine the depths I would go to to stay alive, fueled by my singular hatred, for you."

Dathomirian Zabrak Dark Lord of the Sith, former apprentice of Darth Sidious/Palpatine, whose intestines had an unfortunate encounter with Obi-Wan and a lightsaber after he killed Master Qui-Gon. Somehow he survived being seperated from his lower body and falling down a long, long pipe and is now equipped with a brand new set of robo-legs and even more rage than ever before.

Asajj Ventress

"Ventress. We should have known this was your mess."

Ventress is a Rattataki Dark Jedi (and a "bog witch"), Dark Acolyte to Count Dooku. She was trained as Jedi Padawan early on, but fell to the Dark Side after her master was killed.
During the Clone Wars she killed many Jedi and is considered one of the most dangerous individuals - although you wouldn't believe it after seeing the bitch-slapping Yoda gives her when meeting her.

She's obsessed with killing Obi-Wan Kenobi, who in turn taunts her with kindness and thinks she can be redeemed. She served as Count Dooku's personal assassin/commando and right hand. She favors - like her master - dual lightsabers.

At the moment she cut ties with Count Dooku, after he replaced her with Savage Opress, which didn't work out in anyone's favour.
Undetermined age.

Supporting Characters, Republic

Admiral Wullf Yularen

"Of all the Jedi, why did I have to end up with Skywalker?"

Admiral of the fleet, usually subordinate to Anakin Skywalker. He is a calm, reserved and very able leader. A prime strategist and disciplined commander he is a major force behind Republic victories and a voice of reason to Anakin Skywalker.

He has a gift to navigate the pitfalls of higher command and politics, which will help him a lot once he becomes chief of the secret police for the Empire. Unfortunately he was on a certain Death Star when a certain proton torpedo hit a ventilation shaft.

Mace Windu

"I had it with these motherfucking Sith in this motherfucking galaxy"**

Leader of the Jedi High Council, very powerful Jedi Master. Badass enough to use a pink lightsaber. He is cautious, reserved, remote and thinks before acting, except when trusting Anakin Skywalker shortly before his death.

He is fiercely loyal and protective of the Republic, making him blind of the rotten core in it and the Sith Lord sitting right in the centre of all.
About 50 at the time of the Clone Wars.

** attributed

Yoda

"Secret, shall I tell you? Grand Master of Jedi Order am I. Won this job in a raffle I did, think you? 'How did you know, how did you know, Master Yoda?' Master Yoda knows these things. His job it is."

900 year old green, calm, tiny bundle of concentrated death. Also an insufferable know-it-all, but mostly because he knows it all. Except that the guy next door is a Sith Lord.
Was master of basically every Jedi except Anakin Skywalker, since his main duty next to distributing wisdom is training the Younglings. Leader of the Jedi High Council, High General of the Grand Army of the Republic, and of course Grand Master Jedi. Likes swamps.

Chancellor Palpatine

"Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen."

Supreme Chancellor of the Republic. Darth Sidious of the Sith and secret leader of the Separatists. Puppetmaster. The man who is behind the whole war to destabilize the galaxy. Plays everyone like a fiddle.

Future Emperor of the Galactic Empire, all-around ruthless, evil bastard. Calm, collected, reserved, balanced. Biggest mass murderer of the galaxy. About 62 years old.

C-3PO

"It seems no one wants my company tonight."

Built by Anakin Skywalker, protocol droid in the staff of Padmè Amidala. Upgraded from silver to gold standard when hanging out with Padmé.

R2-D2

"Might we go inside, Master Anakin? Artoo would like to get out of the cold."

Anakin's beloved astromech. Rumored to be a High General in the Republic Army. Always one to be on daring rescue missions. Usually paired with Anakin Skywalker or Ahsoka Tano. Loves to fly. Regardless if fighters or with his built-in rockets.

Padmé Amidala

"What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the Republic has become the very evil we have been fighting to destroy?"

Anakin's hot wife and Luke's & Leia's mother. Senator of Naboo in the Republic Senate. Skilled diplomat, self-assured woman, scrappy fighter, hopelessly liberal and peace-loving during war time, and leader of the weak opposition. The series takes place before she became a passive, constantly crying woman in Episode III.
About 26 years old and not yet lost her will to live. Half the show's budget goes into rendering her always-changing clothing and hairstyle.

Bail Organa

"We will never betray the legacy of the Jedi. I will never surrender the Republic to the Sith."

Senator of Alderaan in the Republic Senate, best known as adoptive father to Leia Organa. Originally a supporter of Chancellor Palpatine he quickly became opposed to increasing the war effort.

Jar-Jar Binks

"I think Jar Jar's dead, Threepio."

If only, Padmé, if only...
Gungan Representative of Naboo in the Republic Senate. Downfall of the Galactic Republic.

Satine Kryze

"We'll have to stand and fight. Or in your case, your Highness, just stand."

Duchess of Mandalore, leader of the Council of Neutral Worlds. Obi-Wan's ex-girlfriend. Fierce pacifist.

Luminara Unduli

"Gentlemen, if you are quite finished, we have a battle to begin."

Mirialan Jedi Master and General. Calm, collected, a skilled and disciplined fighter and teacher. A bit full of herself and does not think much of Anakin Skywalker's improvised teaching and battle strategies.
Often paired up with Anakin despite this and starting to enjoy his laid-back style.

Barriss Offee

Mirialan Padawan to Luminara Unduli, Commander in the Grand Army of the Republic. Like her Jedi Master calm and disciplined, thoughtful and observant, but also rather unimaginative. Often paired up with Ahsoka on missions.

Plo Koon

"You always were the most humble, polite, stubborn, and difficult Padawan, Plo."

Kel Dor Jedi Master, member of the High Jedi Council. Brought Ahsoka into the Jedi Order to become a Padawan. You better get used to him, he is a bit of a favourite of the show runner.

Kit Fisto

"We all take risks."

A name to break walls with. Nautolan Jedi Master and member of the Jedi High Council. Died like a bitch when confronting Palpatine. Fared better against Grievous however.

Aayla Secura

Ruthian Twi'lek Jedi Master, the reason why the boys want to become Jedis. Usually working with Yoda. Yoda is one lucky bastard.

Watch the show

Season 5 premiers on Cartoon Network, Saturday, September 29th, 9:30 p.m. (ET/PT)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

nice work gettin' all the less prominent characters in :allears:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Great summing up.

I'm really looking forward to this season, and the trailer (spoiled just in case) once again has me pumped. Seems like it'll be a nice mix of dark stuff the older fans like and some more lighthearted stuff (the droid infiltration team) for the kids.

Also Sidious vs the brothers Maul... nice. Despite everything, I hope Maul survives at least to the end of this season. It would suck to have him be killed off quickly again. Maybe they'll have Sidious kill Savage and let Maul escape even more pissed off than before. I'd be fine with that.

I just wish they'd use more original Williams music cues in the show, not just in the trailer. On the other hand it may be a "having to pay for the rights to use them" issue, and there is also the chance of them being overused if they did. But a little more here and there wouldn't hurt.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

Just going to repost this from the other thread. This is what I want out of this season

These are the people I hope die before the season ends:

Savage
Maul
Ventress
Ahsoka
Rex
all of Mandalore

Then I hope season 5s cliff hanger is Grievous kidnapping Palpatine leading into season 6 taking place during EIII. Then I want the series to end with the Emperor and Darth Vader looking at the Death Star being built.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Preview trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_b-Q7v_R-s

Is that...Xizor?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Calliper posted:

Just going to repost this from the other thread. This is what I want out of this season

These are the people I hope die before the season ends:

Savage
Maul
Ventress
Ahsoka
Rex
all of Mandalore

Then I hope season 5s cliff hanger is Grievous kidnapping Palpatine leading into season 6 taking place during EIII. Then I want the series to end with the Emperor and Darth Vader looking at the Death Star being built.

I like Ahsoka and Ventress, the rest you can have.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The chronology of the show has been discussed a few times in the various seasonal threads. Apparently the series as it now airs in syndication is being broadcast in chronological order for the first time, so you'll get episodes from all the different seasons happening in the correct order:

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2012/09/14/chronicling-the-clone-wars/

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

alg posted:

Preview trailer:

Is that...Xizor?

No way, but same race

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

alg posted:

Preview trailer:

Is that...Xizor?

Filoni said he will not be in the series

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I really want to know what episode the Sidious vs Maul duel happens in.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

That'll be next season

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Season 6? A whole year away?

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Just got around to watching the premiere. It was a fairly good episode, I thought. However, I hate the time slot.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Great OP, Decius. Impressive, most impressive.

I finally caught up with my DVR and saw the premiere, and I'm surprised there hasn't been more conversation about it here. There was some pretty hardcore stuff that honestly surprised me.

I didn't expect Adi Gallia to die, much less by being impaled in the chest by Savage's horns and then being stabbed in the back with a lightsaber just for good measure.

Then Obi-Wan cutting off Savage's arm, spewing green Nightsistery mist everywhere, and continuing to see the stump for the rest of the episode.

I also liked how once weakened and on the defensive, the pirates were able to get the best of Maul & Oppress. Like with Order 66, if a Jedi (or Sith) gets caught offguard by enough numbers and firepower, there's only so much they can do.

And of course, I loved the final scene and shot. :D

Edit:

Sith Happens fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 2, 2012

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I liked the episode a lot, the fight between Kenobi and the Maul brothers was well done. I didn't expect that one jedi to die.

Hondo is a great character.

shinykaylee
Aug 29, 2007
I can kill you with my mind
The running joke in our house is that Obi-Wan is a badass only when nobody's around to see it and is otherwise the most mediocre Jedi ever, so Hondo's jibe of "They're running away from KENOBI!" was a highlight of the entire episode.

I'm kind of thinking Obi-Wan's pursuit of Maul's going to be kind of like the "When They Were Brothers" arc from the old Clone Wars comics, with Maul in the Ventress role. At least that's what I'm hoping.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season, especially Rush Clovis coming back, and Anakin having to protect him - which genius on the Council thought that was going to end any kind of well?

I'm also looking forward to seeing inside the Jedi apartments - we've seen a couple small sleeping chambers, but they've rendered the rest of the living areas this season and I kind of just want a dozen scenes of Anakin and Obi-Wan hanging out in their kitchen.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Nice to see the Grinch is still getting work these days.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

shinykaylee posted:

I kind of just want a dozen scenes of Anakin and Obi-Wan hanging out in their kitchen.

I always thought they just had a mess hall of sorts at the temple.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

There'd better be a clone-centric episode coming up soon...

shinykaylee
Aug 29, 2007
I can kill you with my mind

Super Dude posted:

I always thought they just had a mess hall of sorts at the temple.

I think they have that, but other canon sources kind of describe the living areas as having kitchens, bathrooms, etc.

So. This new episode. I have given less than two shits about the whole Ahsoka/Lux thing, and I care just about as much about it now, but it was this weird Hunger Games fake sort of love triangle/square thing going on and I just don't know. I liked the other elements of the episode, I like the idea of Anakin being gung-ho to train the rebels (because irony, of course) and Obi-Wan going along to make sure nothing goes too horribly tits-up.

I'm interested to see how other people feel about it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

sweetass blasters, incredible landscapes, Rex in plain clothes, grimy towns...this episode was a pretty good setup.

*clenches fist*

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I love the training episode idea and the little discussion that Yoda and Anakin had about "one man's terroist is another man's freedom fighter." Almost felt like they were doing Vietnam in space.

The Asoka/Lux thing can die in a fire. How Anakin and Obi-Wan don't notice what is going on is beyond me. Feels like they are trying to hard to make it a thing and I hope they aren't setting this up to be the driving force behind Asoka's fall.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Thank you for making this thread. Totally forgot about this show.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

shinykaylee posted:

I'm interested to see how other people feel about it.

Unbelievably boring. I understand this is setting up the stage for next week, but it was just so dull.
I'm hoping against hope that they'll do something bold and daring with the terrorist/rebel thing.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
And the award for least subtle name goes to... rebel/insurgent/terrorist leader Saw Gerrera. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, we already had Elan Sleazebaggano, Halle Burtoni and even Cad Bane or Greedo, so I guess the occasional clunky name is to be expected. It's like poetry.

Other than that, I'm constantly amazed at the environments in the show. Onderon was really beautifully done. The only thing that annoys me is that apparently there is never any sloped ground on any planet - I can't remember the characters ever walking uphill or downhill anywhere, it's all either even terrain or cliffs/stairs, almost like the old "2.5D" engine that the old Doom games used... it's slightly off-putting.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

shinykaylee posted:

This new episode. I have given less than two shits about the whole Ahsoka/Lux thing, and I care just about as much about it now, but it was this weird Hunger Games fake sort of love triangle/square thing going on and I just don't know.

Hahah, I didn't even realize it, but the two rebels Stella and Saw are brother and sister per the official site episode guide. I totally didn't get that from how they were portrayed in the episode. I thought there was some unsaid love angst there. Awkward...

Truancy-Bot
May 9, 2012

eat a dick, truancy-bot
OP was a great read! I'm a big fan of the Original Trilogy, I love the Star Wars Universe, can't stand the prequels - is this show worth watching? Are certain seasons better than others?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Teek posted:

Hahah, I didn't even realize it, but the two rebels Stella and Saw are brother and sister per the official site episode guide. I totally didn't get that from how they were portrayed in the episode. I thought there was some unsaid love angst there. Awkward...

what the gently caress, I thought she had a crush too. that's hosed.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Truancy-Bot posted:

OP was a great read! I'm a big fan of the Original Trilogy, I love the Star Wars Universe, can't stand the prequels - is this show worth watching? Are certain seasons better than others?

I really like it, start from the beginning. No season is way way way better than the rest.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Truancy-Bot posted:

If you can, try to find the episode list for the syndication run. The seasons have a lot of episodes that are out of order from the original run. Especially when it comes to the clone recruit storyline. Either way, this is a great show that is worthy of your time.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Per the Official Site, here's the chronological list so far:

» Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace [1999 Live Action Film]
» Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones [2002 Live Action Film]
» “Cat and Mouse” (S216)
» “Hidden Enemy” (S116)
» Star Wars: The Clone Wars [2008 CGI Film]
» “Clone Cadets” (S301)
» “Supply Lines” (S303)
» “Ambush” (S101)
» “Rising Malevolence” (S102)
» “Shadow of Malevolence” (S103)
» “Destroy Malevolence” (S104)
» “Rookies” (S105)
» “Downfall of a Droid” (S106)
» “Duel of the Droids” (S107)
» “Bombad Jedi” (S108)
» “Cloak of Darkness” (S109)
» “Lair of Grievous” (S110)
» “Dooku Captured” (S111)
» “The Gungan General” (S112)
» “Jedi Crash” (S113)
» “Defenders of Peace” (S114)
» “Trespass” (S115)
» “Blue Shadow Virus” (S117)
» “Mystery of a Thousand Moons” (S118)
» “Storm Over Ryloth” (S119)
» “Innocents of Ryloth” (S120)
» “Liberty on Ryloth” (S121)
» “Holocron Heist” (S201)
» “Cargo of Doom” (S202)
» “Children of the Force” (S203)
» “Bounty Hunters” (S217)
» “The Zillo Beast” (S218)
» “The Zillo Beast Strikes Back” (S219)
» “Senate Spy” (S204)
» “Landing at Point Rain” (S205)
» “Weapons Factory” (S206)
» “Legacy of Terror” (S207)
» “Brain Invaders” (S208)
» “Grievous Intrigue” (S209)
» “The Deserter” (S210)
» “Lightsaber Lost” (S211)
» “The Mandalore Plot” (S212)
» “Voyage of Temptation” (S213)
» “Duchess of Mandalore” (S214)
» “Death Trap” (S220)
» “R2 Come Home” (S221)
» “Lethal Trackdown” (S222)

We might want to update the OP (and keep it updated) with the official list at some point.

All via updates from Leeland Chee:

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/author/lchee/

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven
Part Eight
Part Nine
Part Ten
Part Eleven

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 7, 2014

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Apparently, after all the claims of "we're finally doing things in chronological order now", the show has gone out of sequence again.

The first episode, "Revival", originally was to have aired a lot later, but it was decided to open the season with a Maul-centered story (which makes sense, ratings-wise).
However, this means that Hondo's story that the Separatists destroyed his planet will (according to the official website) be shown in a later episode. Also, Adi Gallia was alive and well on the council in "A War on Two Fronts".
It also explains why the current Dark Horse comic series "Darth Maul: Death Sentence", essentially a prequel arc to "Revival", won't have its final issue out until the end of October: Apparently it was supposed to flow neatly into the original broadcast schedule of the episode.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 9, 2012

alg
Mar 14, 2007

This is a kind of self-aware interview with Ashley Eckstein.

http://www.channelguidemagblog.com/index.php/2012/10/06/ashley-eckstein-talks-clone-wars-ahsokas-journey/

Re-watching the old seasons, Ahsoka has definitely developed a lot.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dave Syndrome posted:

Apparently, after all the claims of "we're finally doing things in chronological order now", the show has gone out of sequence again.

The first episode, "Revival", originally was to have aired a lot later, but it was decided to open the season with a Maul-centered story (which makes sense, ratings-wise).
However, this means that Hondo's story that the Separatists destroyed his planet will (according to the official website) be shown in a later episode. Also, Adi Gallia was alive and well on the council in "A War on Two Fronts".
It also explains why the current Dark Horse comic series "Darth Maul: Death Sentence", essentially a prequel arc to "Revival", won't have its final issue out until the end of October: Apparently it was supposed to flow neatly into the original broadcast schedule of the episode.

:psyduck: What?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
"Yoda, I think it was very nice of you to give that dead woman another chance."

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Maybe my phrasing was less than clear - English isn't my first language. Apologies.

The creators of the show made a point of the fact that while previously, episodes had been jumping around in chronology, from now on everything would happen in sequence.

Originally, it was supposed to have happened this way:

- March 16, 2012: End of season 4
- July 25, 2012: Comic book "Darth Maul: Death Sentence" begins
- September 29, 2012: Season 5 opens with the episode "War on Two Fronts", in which we see Adi Gallia on the council
- At some later point: an episode airs in which the Separatists lay waste to Florrum
- October 17, 2012: the "Death Sentence" comic ends and leads into the episode "Revival"
- At some point after that: Episode "Revival" airs, in which Hondo refers to the damage the separatists did and we see Adi Gallia being killed by Savage Opress.

Now, with "Revival" being pushed as season opener, we have a jump in chronology again. Not that I don't understand why the decision to change the air date was made. It makes sense to open with a Maul story to keep the viewers interested.

I hope it's clearer now... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtXF2j5JAds

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 9, 2012

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Not my favorite episode

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Well, at least there was an AAT. Everything is improved with tanks.

Plus, bonus points for SUPER ANAKIN HYPOCRISY.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
This felt... I dunno... it's like quite some time after it was decided to stretch this arc into four parts, they realized too late that there really wasn't a lot of plot to part two. It felt drawn out, slow, and tedious.
Apparently Dooku unloaded all his second-rate quality droids on Onderon, because those things couldn't shoot worth poo poo. I can sort of believe this with the normal battle droids (whose threat level varies wildly according to the needs of the plot anyway), but the super battle droids and especially the commando droids? Plus they all seemed to move at half speed. In that respect I guess I can see why the capture of the tank happened at such a leisurely pace as well, after the frantic scramble during the training scene in the previous episode.

There were a lot more minor niggles, chief among them:
- the use of the term "rebel alliance" in the intro - YES, WE GET IT, THIS IS THE NEW CANON. But they're not really an alliance yet, they don't have any other rebels to be allied with. But hey, namedropping, woo!
- the brother/sister reveal. Apart from the fact that it was mentioned in various official sources a week ago, it doesn't really change the dynamic of the characters in any significant way. But hey, Return of the Jedi recall, woo!
- Anakin's "I know how you feel" to Ahsoka right in front of both Obi-Wan and Lux. Subtle.

Before I get too ranty: Loved the music and the visuals, especially the camera sweeps, which I think is something we haven't seen so far. Didn't like the the writing this time. Not one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Wouldn't destroying that power station shut down power to the rest of the city? Wouldn't that piss off the local population, defeating the purpose of blowing it up in the first place? Am I missing something?

• Locked thread