Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I installed vCenter 5.0 last week, but I've only added 1 machine with no hosts so far, should I install a new machine with 5.1, so that I don't have the headache of upgrading later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

I installed vCenter 5.0 last week, but I've only added 1 machine with no hosts so far, should I install a new machine with 5.1, so that I don't have the headache of upgrading later?

With VMotion and VUM updating really isn't a headache unless you are short on resources. I have to wait till vmware decides to list view as supported with vsphere 5.1 any how, my teacher said he was going to give it a month or two until they fix some of the kinks with it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I was planning on leaving the actual server at 5.0, just install 5.1 for vCenter, since vMotion and VUM can't really take care of your vCenter server, and I don't want to deal with the stuff luminalflux did.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

vCenter 5.1 can manage 5.0 hosts, if that's your question.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Corvettefisher posted:

Wait, what are you doing? Sorry I was under the impression this was just some box sitting around for labs and stuff.

I am not exactly sure why you are using RDM for that exact reason, if ESXI poo poo's itself you can install it to a flash drive boot up and export the VMDK's or run them. If something happens to the storage device(s) I am not sure how much benefit doing RDM will prove to you, over a vmdk honestly. Among other things RDM's are often used for higher I/O to disk.
http://blogs.vmware.com/apps/2011/11/virtualized-exchange-storage-vmdk-or-rdm-or.html

It's my home server, I use it for a variety of things, mostly just messing about to improve my VMware/linux knowledge - I decided to move all my files on there and at the same time experiment with using RDMs on local drives, seems to me that if ESX shits the bed then it is one less thing to worry about it if I can just chuck disks into any other windows machine to get the data.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

I was planning on leaving the actual server at 5.0, just install 5.1 for vCenter, since vMotion and VUM can't really take care of your vCenter server, and I don't want to deal with the stuff luminalflux did.

Ah vCenter.

Honestly, I could probably live without vCenter for an hour for an upgrade later on, but seeing how you are deploying new that changes a few things. The question is which one have you tested with? I wouldn't put something into production unless I had first deployed a test run of it. 5.1 does have a lot of cool improvements but if it breaks your environment then what better is it?

You have to keep in mind he was using Express as well not a separate DB server, which if I recall what you were doing correctly, you aren't going to want to use express.

kyojin posted:

It's my home server, I use it for a variety of things, mostly just messing about to improve my VMware/linux knowledge - I decided to move all my files on there and at the same time experiment with using RDMs on local drives, seems to me that if ESX shits the bed then it is one less thing to worry about it if I can just chuck disks into any other windows machine to get the data.

Ah, okay that is one way to do it. To me it would be simpler to re-install esxi and migrate existing data stores, or install esxi to an 8gb flash drive, re-import the VM, and power on but which ever way works for you. Best of luck.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 26, 2012

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Updating ESXi was smooth. Right now it's only VUM being a jerk, so it gets to sit in the corner for a few days until it can behave.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
What are people doing for AV in a VDI setup? Is vShield Endpoint worth using, and if so, which partner solution has worked out?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Mierdaan posted:

What are people doing for AV in a VDI setup? Is vShield Endpoint worth using, and if so, which partner solution has worked out?

Yeah trend micro Deep Security is good for VDI.
http://www.trendmicro.com/us/enterprise/cloud-solutions/deep-security/index.html

And vShield will be needed, but should come with any part of a vdi solution
http://www.trendmicro.com/cloud-content/us/pdfs/business/sb_vmware-agentless-security.pdf

Interested to hear what others use.

Also: Are you using persistant disks of non persistant?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Mierdaan posted:

We're using Deep Security for our AV solution on our servers. It's buggy as gently caress and generally eats about an hour or two of my day getting everything green again. It does work though. Expect to spend a good deal of time working with trend micro support, which is pretty good.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Corvettefisher posted:

Also: Are you using persistant disks of non persistant?

We're not using anything, so that's why I'm asking. We're starting a small test pilot soon and I didn't know if some of the partner AV solutions are worth it, since we'll be getting the vShield Endpoint licenses anyways.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Mierdaan posted:

We're not using anything, so that's why I'm asking. We're starting a small test pilot soon and I didn't know if some of the partner AV solutions are worth it, since we'll be getting the vShield Endpoint licenses anyways.

Gotcha, the ones I know off the top of my head are SEP(Symantec), MCafee MOVE, and Trend. I think Sophos and Kaspersky have some as well but I am not sure.

gnarkillx3
Nov 29, 2005

reno 911 is not filmed in reno.
I need to copy my entire VM from a remote location and post it to another location and back it up. I have no clue how to do this I've never used vSphere or VMware and i'm tired of google-ing. Anyone have any ideas of how I can do this (if it's even possible)

I'm using vSphere Client
VMware ESXi, 4.1.0, 348481

Thanks

nuckingfuts
Apr 21, 2003

gnarkillx3 posted:

I need to copy my entire VM from a remote location and post it to another location and back it up. I have no clue how to do this I've never used vSphere or VMware and i'm tired of google-ing. Anyone have any ideas of how I can do this (if it's even possible)

I'm using vSphere Client
VMware ESXi, 4.1.0, 348481

Thanks

If you're in the vsphere client on the host summary tab, right click on the datastore , choose browse datastore, and locate the directory that contains your VM. Then right click on the directory and select download. Once you have the files you should be able to copy them wherever you want. This process will take a while and there are much better and faster ways to do this , but this is probably the least complicated way.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
In the datastore browser, download the folder that contains the VM, as that should have everything you need, and then you've got the files and you can do whatever you want with them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Even though everyone hates Veeam (I am slowly beginning to as our scope for it expands), download the free version of Veeam and use Veeam Zip. Easy peasey.

gnarkillx3
Nov 29, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

In the datastore browser, download the folder that contains the VM, as that should have everything you need, and then you've got the files and you can do whatever you want with them.

Which one contains the VM? Is it a certain type of file?

Also: When I try and download the file the connection to the server times out.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Moey posted:

Even though everyone hates Veeam (I am slowly beginning to as our scope for it expands), download the free version of Veeam and use Veeam Zip. Easy peasey.

Yeah, agreed, for this it should be a-ok.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

gnarkillx3 posted:

Which one contains the VM? Is it a certain type of file?

Also: When I try and download the file the connection to the server times out.

.vmx is configuration info, .vmdk is a disk image.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Those are the two files you'd need at a minimum, but I'd just grab the whole thing to be safe. There can be multiple vmdks depending on if there are snapshots and how the disk was made.

But if there's an RDM don't grab those files, that will be bad.

gnarkillx3
Nov 29, 2005

Thanks for all the help, I will let everyone know how it goes.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

gnarkillx3 posted:

Thanks for all the help, I will let everyone know how it goes.

Really just use Veeam zip. It will compress it and be alot faster.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
yeah if you grab it at the folder level you should be fine, just make sure your build numbers are at least the same or higher, otherwise you might hit some problems.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Is anyone aware of a vscsiStats clone that runs on a bare-metal Windows or Linux host? I'm not aware of anything for either platform that provides as holistic a picture of disk workload characteristics as vscsiStats, but I'm curious about the information for our physical hosts.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

Is anyone aware of a vscsiStats clone that runs on a bare-metal Windows or Linux host? I'm not aware of anything for either platform that provides as holistic a picture of disk workload characteristics as vscsiStats, but I'm curious about the information for our physical hosts.

Not that I am aware of...

What exactly are you trying to gather? From the sound of it you are looking to something that reports what host is pulling what workload to storage. If you want I might be able to work with my teacher and up a custom script together for you.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Corvettefisher posted:

Not that I am aware of...

What exactly are you trying to gather? From the sound of it you are looking to something that reports what host is pulling what workload to storage. If you want I might be able to work with my teacher and up a custom script together for you.
I'm looking for I/O workload characterization so I can capacity-plan when I need to scale out the IOPS on my Graphite server -- tps is, by itself, a useless metric since you can't tell how far the I/Os are actually seeking (if at all vs. sequential I/O). I'll probably end up writing something in SystemTap once I figure out the right calls to trace.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I'll look that up for you tomorrow, top priority. I'll let you know what I find.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Oh wow.

After having some issues with SQL Server 2005 Express and vCenter 5.1 after upgrading (Apparently I was still running 2005 instead of the 2008 that was upgraded to...), I upgraded the database, which apparently borked since the schema was all wrong and no stored procs were loaded. Thinking "Nah I'll just nuke it and reinstall from scratch" (since that was what #vmware was basically saying), I did a fresh install of vCenter on a new database.

Now I can't connect to my existing ESXi 5.1 hosts. Or rather, I can connect, they'll show up for about a minute, and then go back to being disconnected. Not sure what to look for in the logs (since they're chatty as gently caress), and what looks like the big culprit isn't giving me any good results in google (besides making sure that the ports are open and restarting the Mgmt agent on the hosts).

Does

quote:

[10512 error 'vpxdvpxdVmomi' opID=01E5A73D-00000092-bd] [VpxdClientAdapter] Got vmacore exception: Server closed connection after 0 response bytes read;
SSL(TCPClientSocket(this=000000001a155c20, state=CONNECTED, _connectSocket=TCP(fd=-1), error=(null)) TCPStreamWin32(socket=TCP(fd=4944) local=10.x.x.1:55044, peer=10.x.x.17:443))

in vpxd.log ring a bell for anyone? Otherwise it looks like I'm going to spend monday with support to get my management up and running again (production hosts are running but I have no way of doing stuff with them)

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Try removing and reinstalling management and HA agents on the hosts.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1003714#5

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Will do, I did the restarting thing but that didn't help.

edit: Nope, same thing happened again :(

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 30, 2012

complex
Sep 16, 2003

OK, try it again, but this time after running VMware-fdm-uninstall.sh, delete or rename /etc/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg. Then try to reconnect.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Something similar happened to me long ago, racking my brain trying to remember what ended up fixing it (the "host will connect for like 30 seconds then drop" thing). Verify that all your vSphere hosts and the vCenter have correct forward AND reverse DNS entries and that forward and reverse match up exactly. Also log into the hosts directly and make sure they aren't having issues connecting to their datastores. It was an older version so may not apply, but I'm pretty sure one of those 2 things was my issue.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

It seems that the for some reason HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VirtualCenter\heartbeatPort was configured to port 922 instead of 902, and 922 wasn't open while 902 was. vpxd was pushing this down to the agents upon reconnect, while vCenter was listening on the default port. Naturally no heartbeats were getting through, which forced the disconnects.

At least I hope, but it hasn't disconnected yet, let's let this run for a day or so.

edit: I would have caught this a lot earlier, if I were looking at the correct file. Apparently on the host there's both /etc/opt/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg from an older ESXi version and /etc/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg which is the running config...

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 1, 2012

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

luminalflux posted:

It seems that the for some reason HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VirtualCenter\heartbeatPort was configured to port 922 instead of 902, and 922 wasn't open while 902 was. vpxd was pushing this down to the agents upon reconnect, while vCenter was listening on the default port. Naturally no heartbeats were getting through, which forced the disconnects.

At least I hope, but it hasn't disconnected yet, let's let this run for a day or so.

edit: I would have caught this a lot earlier, if I were looking at the correct file. Apparently on the host there's both /etc/opt/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg from an older ESXi version and /etc/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg which is the running config...

How did that happen?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I probably did a lot of stupid stuff while reinstalling when the database was in the wrong state, is my only guess.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Is it just me or does SSO seem sort of buggy?

gnarkillx3
Nov 29, 2005

Docjowles posted:

.vmx is configuration info, .vmdk is a disk image.

Okay so I have everything downloaded, Now I need to put that configuration to the virtual server at my office. How do I import it so it's a mirror virtual server of the remote server?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
I just managed to PSOD ESXi5.1. Apparently VCSA + ChromeOS + a Windows 2k8 domain controller = boom. VCSA has to be started first and then ChromeOS, it'll PSOD within a few seconds.

nuckingfuts
Apr 21, 2003

gnarkillx3 posted:

Okay so I have everything downloaded, Now I need to put that configuration to the virtual server at my office. How do I import it so it's a mirror virtual server of the remote server?

Upload the files to the datastore if you have not done so already. Then browse the datastore, right click the .vmx file, and select "Add to Inventory." You will probably also need to edit the VM network settings as well as answer the UUID question when the VM is powered on at the new location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

janitorx
May 3, 2002

I'm cuckoo for cocoa cocks!

Corvettefisher posted:

Is it just me or does SSO seem sort of buggy?

Yeah it is, being dependent on it for all VC authentication to function is making me nervous. Especially since their HA option can't recover from losing contact with AD.