Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Does anyone have any experience with the Handy Brew Coffee Dripper Machine from Sweet Maria's? I've been drinking instant coffee for the past few months and I'm really ready for an upgrade.

I've also been looking at the Aero Press, but I'm scared I'll knock the whole thing over while using the syringe and spill coffee all over myself. That and I'm looking for a cup of coffee, not espresso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Bioshuffle posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Handy Brew Coffee Dripper Machine from Sweet Maria's? I've been drinking instant coffee for the past few months and I'm really ready for an upgrade.

It looks a lot like the ingenuTEA I use for... well, tea, only more functionally suited for coffee. I imagine it'll produce something like a french press, loose grinds/sludge and all. Some cups may not work nicely with it, if they are particularly large at the top, as the bottom looks smaller than the Clever Coffee Dripper. No personal experience with this specific thing though.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Ok blade grinders are obviously terrible, but wtf is wrong with an electric kettle or a press?

Sorry, I meant that the electric and blade were horrible, while the press was OK.

I thought that electrics were bad because there's absolutely no way to control the temperature of the water? At the very least I know I could just boil and wait for it to cool, but then it becomes a pretty annoying process where I have to boil it, pour it into another vessel because I can't measure it in the kettle due to its design, then wait for it to cool a little, then pour it in.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

I've also been looking at the Aero Press, but I'm scared I'll knock the whole thing over while using the syringe and spill coffee all over myself. That and I'm looking for a cup of coffee, not espresso.
The Aeropress is as much espresso as a motorbike is a truck. It produces concentrated coffee extracted via pressure, sure, but the flavor and texture profiles are vastly different. I hate how the Aeropress has a reputation as making espresso.

Besides, if you follow any of the guides on Brew Methods for using an Aeropress, you're going to be making yourself nothing but single cups of coffee that might need an ounce or two of hot water/cream/whatever if you think it tastes too strong.

As a step up from instant, totally get that coffee dripper; I'd love to get my hands on one myself, it looks like it'd produce an oiler version of the results you'd get from a Clever dripper. An Aeropress is kind of fiddlier and might be way too frustrating for you to use as your "daily driver," despite how fun it is to use once you're more used to coffee being a hobby rather than just a thing you drink.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Couple questions:

- I've read various guides, some say use 30 lbs. of pressure when tamping, some say 5 lbs. Which is more accurate?

- Do you level the coffee across the top of the portafilter, then tamp it, or tamp the excessive mound of coffee, then shave off the excess to make it level?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

swagger like us posted:

This has been said 50 times, even on this very page, and is in the OP edit: no its not in the OP, but it should be.

If you want a consistent and easy way to measure coffee for your press, pourover, whatever. Get a cheap, digital kitchen scale and use it. "Scoops" or tbsp's is not reliable because coffee weight can change a lot. Thats it, there's your answer. Scoops and TBSP ratios are good enough for just to make coffee, but not to actually make reliably good tasting coffee everytime.

A scale is like $30. If you're lazy, you'd be surprised it actually makes your coffee making easier. But using a full kettle, and pouring over the top of a zeroed scale, you just have to keep pouring till you hit your numbers of cups. No measuring water beforehand necessary.

This question needs to go into the OP

I added a whole section on extraction, and moved the "grinders" subsection into it. If anyone wants to double check that I put everything in there or if I forgot something, just let me know and I'll add it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

GrAviTy84 posted:

I added a whole section on extraction, and moved the "grinders" subsection into it. If anyone wants to double check that I put everything in there or if I forgot something, just let me know and I'll add it.

You should fix your BBcode and the link to the clever dripper is broken.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

You should fix your BBcode and the link to the clever dripper is broken.

derp. Thanks, fixed.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Couple questions:

- I've read various guides, some say use 30 lbs. of pressure when tamping, some say 5 lbs. Which is more accurate?

- Do you level the coffee across the top of the portafilter, then tamp it, or tamp the excessive mound of coffee, then shave off the excess to make it level?
Man, tamping is such an argued thing. Some people, including the Counter Culture espresso training program, say four tamps of about 20 lbs at the cardinal points, then a fifth spinning tamp to orient the coffee in one direction. At the 2011 Providence coffee convention, there was a talk about how the pressure doesn't matter at all, it really varies. I do about fifteen pounds, four tamps, leave it at that, but I have a lot more to learn.

As for the dose in the portafilter, level it off flat before tamping. You can adjust the grind from there, but if you're not leveling off (or weighing) then you can't be consistent. Leveling off also helps with the flavor because you're making sure you can avoid channeling, which is when the water from the machine travels through some sections of the coffee puck at a different speed to other sections, which makes some of the shot over extract and some under extract.

Pulling in serviceable espresso shots is pretty easy; pulling amazing ones takes so much practice

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Thanks for the advice! I went ahead and ordered the coffee dripper. Does anyone have any experience with double walled insulated glass mugs? I was looking at the Bodum but they seem really fragile judging from the reviews. There are a few alternatives, like the Serafino mug or Sun's Tea. Are these mostly a gimmick item?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Whalley posted:

Leveling off also helps with the flavor because you're making sure you can avoid channeling, which is when the water from the machine travels through some sections of the coffee puck at a different speed to other sections, which makes some of the shot over extract and some under extract.

Naked/bottomless portafilter is pretty cool.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

dema posted:

Naked/bottomless portafilter is pretty cool.
Ugh don't rub it in, I've used one, once, and it was one of the best shots I've pulled ever. I'd kill for naked portafilters at work.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

Whalley posted:

Pulling in serviceable espresso shots is pretty easy; pulling amazing ones takes so much practice

THIS. Espresso can be such a meh bitch sometimes but when she's good......

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How many grams of coffee are you guys putting in your 3 cup Moka pots? I've tried roughly 14 g to around 21 g (which was way too much, cause pressure kept leaking out somewhere) at a medium coarse grind but can't seem to get it right. The coffee I make with my French press right now is beyond doubt infinitely better than anything that has come out of my Moka pot.

e: My Italian friend tells me during final exams some people brew coffee with a Moka pot, and then take the brewed coffee and put it back into the Moka pot with newly ground coffee again and brew it a second time :stare:

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 23, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
gently caress you guys and your latte art.....I suck at it still. :colbert:

The Vario I bought new in January quit working a few days ago. During mid-grind it just started making a high pitched whine and the burrs stopped. I'm gonna take a shot at opening it up somehow and poking around before I call them. Bummer.

Meanwhile, my never fail, noisy, light, static prone, only been properly cleaned once, under $100 Capresso Infinity has been called up from reserve duty.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I use a pourover cup with a paper filter to make coffee and am wondering how fine / coarse should I grind my beans?

Normally I buy a small bag of beans each week and get them ground for me and sometimes the clerk will grind them quite coarsely and other times she will grind them fine. Both seem to work but I'm wondering what the best level of grind is?

Also, I'm thinking about getting my own grinder and, because I'm a quirky rear end in a top hat, I was looking at this on ebay. It's basically a pepper grinder but is marketed as a coffee grinder. Would something like this work or should I just stick with the standard recommended hand grinder?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

cyberia posted:

I use a pourover cup with a paper filter to make coffee and am wondering how fine / coarse should I grind my beans?

Normally I buy a small bag of beans each week and get them ground for me and sometimes the clerk will grind them quite coarsely and other times she will grind them fine. Both seem to work but I'm wondering what the best level of grind is?

Also, I'm thinking about getting my own grinder and, because I'm a quirky rear end in a top hat, I was looking at this on ebay. It's basically a pepper grinder but is marketed as a coffee grinder. Would something like this work or should I just stick with the standard recommended hand grinder?

I like mine quite fine but still visibly coarse, if that makes sense. You don't want them to clump together but you don't want it to look like fine gravel. Maybe sand-like is a good description. When you pour water over it, you don't want it to look like river silt, all clay-like, but you also don't want the water to pass through it quickly and unhindered.

For grinders, I'm doubtful anyone has experience with that particular one, but know that wobble in the shaft, burr intolerances, and the like will provide an inconsistent grind. If you really want something manual and quirky check this out http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/grinders/manual-grinders/zassenhaus-knee-mill.html. This is within the price of electrics such as the Capresso Infinity, though, so, unless your desire to be quirky is super big, you might just want to get an Infinity. The best grinder is the one you will use.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
My girlfriend and I are addicted to lattes hot and iced.

Coffee Goons: Does there exist a machine for $300-$500 that will make decent espresso and also allow us to froth milk for hot drinks? I am not looking for the best coffee I've ever had in my life, I simply want an adequate replacement for a $10-15/day Starbucks habit. I'm going to go ahead and say that the less we are "hands on" in the process, the better.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

bloodysabbath posted:

My girlfriend and I are addicted to lattes hot and iced.

Coffee Goons: Does there exist a machine for $300-$500 that will make decent espresso and also allow us to froth milk for hot drinks? I am not looking for the best coffee I've ever had in my life, I simply want an adequate replacement for a $10-15/day Starbucks habit. I'm going to go ahead and say that the less we are "hands on" in the process, the better.

You can make a serviceable latte with a moka pot and froth milk with a french press, so I say you could have a rig for less than 100, maybe even less than 50.

edit: Forgot a grinder, throw a Capresso Infinity or refub Maestro/Encore on top of that and you're around 150 for a good latte. A step up from there would be something like a refurb Saeco Aroma and a Capresso Infinity/Maestro/Encore. That'll put you around $250. Won't pull consistent and awesome shots, but you're just gonna throw a ton of milk on it anyway.

Step up from there would be to up the grinder to a virtuoso (+$50 to total cost)

If you really want to be hands off you can get a superautomatic. I don't know much about the details but they'll make drinkable lattes. The espresso will likely be awful.

Peruse this:
http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=57&dir=asc&order=price&q=saeco+aroma

That first one (Saeco Odea Giro Plus Refub) has favorable reviews and is only $300. You'll need to steam your own milk though.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 24, 2012

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can make a serviceable latte with a moka pot and froth milk with a french press, so I say you could have a rig for less than 100, maybe even less than 50.

edit: Forgot a grinder, throw a Capresso Infinity or refub Maestro/Encore on top of that and you're around 150 for a good latte. A step up from there would be something like a refurb Saeco Aroma and a Capresso Infinity/Maestro/Encore. That'll put you around $250. Won't pull consistent and awesome shots, but you're just gonna throw a ton of milk on it anyway.

Step up from there would be to up the grinder to a virtuoso (+$50 to total cost)

If you really want to be hands off you can get a superautomatic. I don't know much about the details but they'll make drinkable lattes. The espresso will likely be awful.

Peruse this:
http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=57&dir=asc&order=price&q=saeco+aroma

That first one (Saeco Odea Giro Plus Refub) has favorable reviews and is only $300. You'll need to steam your own milk though.

Thank you, what an excellent site.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/saeco-vienna-plus-superautomatic-espresso-machine

What are your thoughts on this guy? A bit more expensive and not very sexy looking, but people seem to love it - 40 reviews and not a negative in the bunch. Any red flags on this unit? Will the wand steam milk for hot drinks?

If it's good, this thing will literally pay for itself in a month, maybe less if I factor in the treats we always feel compelled to buy at the shops.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
I feel like a moka pot is going to produce just as good lattes then some $400 automatic. Latte's are basically coffee flavoured steamed milk drinks, so go for cheapest route and get a moka pot and a steam wand.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Keyser S0ze posted:

gently caress you guys and your latte art.....I suck at it still. :colbert:

The Vario I bought new in January quit working a few days ago. During mid-grind it just started making a high pitched whine and the burrs stopped. I'm gonna take a shot at opening it up somehow and poking around before I call them. Bummer.

Meanwhile, my never fail, noisy, light, static prone, only been properly cleaned once, under $100 Capresso Infinity has been called up from reserve duty.

Isn't that still under warranty? They'll send you one ASAP if it is, before you send yours in.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Boris Galerkin posted:

How many grams of coffee are you guys putting in your 3 cup Moka pots? I've tried roughly 14 g to around 21 g (which was way too much, cause pressure kept leaking out somewhere) at a medium coarse grind but can't seem to get it right. The coffee I make with my French press right now is beyond doubt infinitely better than anything that has come out of my Moka pot.

e: My Italian friend tells me during final exams some people brew coffee with a Moka pot, and then take the brewed coffee and put it back into the Moka pot with newly ground coffee again and brew it a second time :stare:

As I understand it you get the best results from a moka pot by filling the little basket thing (without packing/tamping), thus getting the most pressure. Or something. (I'm assuming the 3 cup has a smaller basket than my 6 cup.) Really though I've only had mine for a few days and was hoping someone more knowledgeable had some tips/tricks. I think I have the grind down, something medium or coarser, I just wish I could get it to grind more consistently. drat grit in the bottom of the cup. (It's a Maestro... or I guess Solis actually.) I should probably try cleaning the thing first I guess. :effort: Worst case I can apparently replace the burrs for about $24.

edit: getting a bit of grounds / sludge with some pre-ground coffee though, so who knows.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 25, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

swagger like us posted:

I feel like a moka pot is going to produce just as good lattes then some $400 automatic. Latte's are basically coffee flavoured steamed milk drinks, so go for cheapest route and get a moka pot and a steam wand.

I agree with this, but there is something to be said about convenience. They will have to decide if grinding, tamping, cleanup, etc. are worth $250.

As far as which is better, bloodysabbath, I don't know. The one you linked based on reviews looks good, but in practice, is it worth 100bux more than the other. The cheaper one looks like it has a better interface, to me, and it also looks marginally prettier.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

nm posted:

Isn't that still under warranty? They'll send you one ASAP if it is, before you send yours in.

Oh for sure it is. I finally got around to checking out the Baratza Support site and they have a category for what I'm pretty sure is my issue:

"You have a stripped belt and pulley. Take a look at the guide below."

I sent them an email and asked for replacement parts. Worst case is it's $8 for the parts.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Any mypressi twist users out there?

I feel dumb asking this, but I don't know what to think anymore!

http://imgur.com/QptJj

So which line do I fill the water to for a double shot? A double is 2 fl oz, correct? If I pour in 2 fl oz when it is resting at its natural angle, it fills exactly to the lower red dot.

This surprised me, as the manual says something vague about filling to the second mark for a double (the higher red dot?), which I've measured to be about 3 fl oz.

Maybe it needs more than 2 fl oz water to make a 2 fl oz shot?

So right now when making shots (I always make doubles) I don't know where to fill it to. I love this thing, just had it serviced, but I have a lot of trouble getting good shots out of it. When I get a good tasting shot, invariably it is when it is barely pushing the shot through, and I am lucky to get 1/2 fl oz.

This all makes me wonder about the physics (not my strong point in school). If there is more or less water filling the volume in the chamber where the compression happens, how does that affect the amount of pressure being created? Why not just fill water to the brim, for example?

If anyone has any mypressi tips, please let me know. I have read about it for hours, and I still futz around with grind, amounts, and tamp pressure every time, and I am no where nearer to finding a sweet spot.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How long does coffee stay "good" after it's been brewed? I want to buy some kind of thermos or something so that I can make a cup of coffee and take it with me to work in the mornings, but I'd want to drink it a few hours after it's been brewed (since I leave for work right after I finish drinking my morning coffee).

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

How long does coffee stay "good" after it's been brewed? I want to buy some kind of thermos or something so that I can make a cup of coffee and take it with me to work in the mornings, but I'd want to drink it a few hours after it's been brewed (since I leave for work right after I finish drinking my morning coffee).

In a sealed thermos is fine. It's when it's left on a heating plate or cooled and reheated that it loses flavor.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I have this thermos and it's pretty amazing. It seriously keeps coffee hot for up to 12 hours or so, and it stays warm-ish even after that. Only bummer is the biggest size is 17 ounces and I know some coffee fanatics drink more than that in a day, but I tend to make really strong coffee so 12 is plenty for me.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Kaluza-Klein posted:

A double is 2 fl oz, correct?

Just fill the top chamber. 2 fl oz of water will not produce 2 fl oz of espresso, because coffee absorbs and retains water. The standard figure for espresso is about 1.2 grams per gram of coffee. There is no reason to use less water in the top chamber. End the shot by releasing the trigger.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Is a Starbucks Barista coffee/espresso machine any good? Asking because someone just put a nearly new one on Craigslist for $120 and would be willing to drive it to where I work (so I don't have to drive and go get it). I'm thinking of pouncing on it, because I'd like to start getting into espresso, but I would rather save my money for something better if it sucks or something.

Link to CL Listing

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Bob_McBob posted:

Just fill the top chamber. 2 fl oz of water will not produce 2 fl oz of espresso, because coffee absorbs and retains water. The standard figure for espresso is about 1.2 grams per gram of coffee. There is no reason to use less water in the top chamber. End the shot by releasing the trigger.

That is good to know, thank you!

Any thoughts on this grinder for espresso? http://raleigh.craigslist.org/app/3293557528.html I am still dealing with a Hario hand grinder.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Is a Starbucks Barista coffee/espresso machine any good? Asking because someone just put a nearly new one on Craigslist for $120 and would be willing to drive it to where I work (so I don't have to drive and go get it). I'm thinking of pouncing on it, because I'd like to start getting into espresso, but I would rather save my money for something better if it sucks or something.

Link to CL Listing

For $120 you won't find much that's better. If I remember correctly, it's actually not a half bad entry level unit, though it was way overpriced new. Do you already have a decent grinder?

Officer No Gun
Aug 26, 2003

70sMan

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Link to CL Listing

I'm pretty sure its just a re-branded saeco aroma, which is a decently reviewed 200 dollar machine. 120 bucks sounds like an OK deal on a barely used one.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

For $120 you won't find much that's better. If I remember correctly, it's actually not a half bad entry level unit, though it was way overpriced new. Do you already have a decent grinder?

Sweet, and yeah, I do. Thanks!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Keyser S0ze posted:

Keyser S0ze posted:

I finally got around to checking out the Baratza Support site and they have a category for what I'm pretty sure is my issue:

"You have a stripped belt and pulley. Take a look at the guide below."

I sent them an email and asked for replacement parts. Worst case is it's $8 for the parts.

I submitted a ticket with Baratza last week asking for just the belt/pulley for the Vario and never heard anything back but today there is a box with a refurb unit in it and return shipping slip. Is this normal?

They must be having problems with these belts/pulleys and are just saying "gently caress it send a refurb instead of the parts." I was actually thinking of just swapping the belt/pulley since my existing machine was much newer than the refurb (per the serial numbers) and the refurb has wonky sliders that were falling off.

I would be okay paying $8 a year for replacement belt/pulleys, but whatever...thanks Baratza and please don't go bankrupt or anything.

EDIT: I swapped the belt/pulley with the newer versions in the refurb. The replacement pulley is metal instead of the plastic version on the original and was really quite worn after only six months of use.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 28, 2012

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Starbucks seems to be pimping a new system for making lattes at home.

http://www.starbucksstore.com/verismo/verismo,default,sc.html

mystes
May 31, 2006

wildlele posted:

Gee, pod coffee plus powdered milk. It's like having your very own Flavia machine!

I'm surprised that none of the other pod machine companies seem to have thought of this, though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Tassimo has had the same thing for several years. It's really not anything new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

wildlele posted:

I had a customer the other day who bought one of these then came in and informed me that my expresso don't got much crema, and since he bought one of them verismo starbucker machines, he gets to make expresso out of pods that gives him six inches of crema.

:sigh: