Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Thanks for the heads up on that sale, I picked up several Kurosawa and samurai films out of it: Seven Samurai, Yojimbo + Sanjuro, Three Outlaw Samurai and the Samurai Trilogy.

kuddles posted:

Ugh, hurry up and ship already!

Guess I got lucky, mine was already shipped and I believe it should arrive tomorrow.

Teek fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

kuddles posted:

Ugh, hurry up and ship already! I know they probably got a lot of orders from the sale, but I hate this annoying trend where companies send you an email claiming your order has been "processed" within minutes of you entering it (while politely informing you that because of this, it's impossible to change or cancel it), and yet days can still pass by without it shipping.

I just got my shipping notice and I filed the order about two hours before the sale ended. Not sure how they're filtering through everything but seems like they're going through them pretty fast.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I ended up buying World On a Wire. Not only have I been on a 70's sci fi kick recently, but I have been watching a lot of German films as well. So I am pretty excited for this.

I really haven't seen very much German sci fi though, other than Metropolis of course.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Does anybody ever buy Criterions at full price?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I occasionally buy something on release for full price.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

boom boom boom posted:

I have a few times, when I was at a Barnes & Noble (before they started doing the twice-yearly sales) and I just HAD to have a film and they were the only store in town that carried a copy.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

kaujot posted:

I have a few times, when I was at a Barnes & Noble (before they started doing the twice-yearly sales) and I just HAD to have a film and they were the only store in town that carried a copy.

Edit: I'm talking MSRP here, so like $40 for one of the old DVDs rather than the typical $30.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I have bought them at regular price before. There's not a huge list of movies - even those that I like a lot - that I have a desire to revisit multiple times, and other than the occasional commentary I'm not much for special features (it usually feels like sucking all the magic out of the art), so on those occasions I really have to like the film. I would never blind buy a Criterion edition of a film at full price.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I've bought one that I remember at full price, and that was the DVD edition of "Last Temptation of Christ". I was writing a paper on it and "2001: A Space Odyssey" and I really couldn't wait/pay extra for overnight shipping.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

kuddles posted:

I would never blind buy a Criterion edition of a film at full price.

I wish I had your self control. :saddowns:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

I've bought quite a few at full price but never blind buy them outside of sales.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

boom boom boom posted:

I bought Robocop from a mall Sam Goody/Suncoast. I thought the price was ridiculous but a few weeks after seeing it I discovered that it was actually out of print and not coming back, so I went back and of course it was still there. So of course I picked it up. That and Videodrome happen to be the only two Criterions I've had the fortune of owning so far - I think the friend who bought me Videodrome did it at full price too as I recall her complaining about how expensive it was.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I paid full price for The Third Man on Blu-Ray, but only because it was already out of print and Borders somehow still had a copy left.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

One theory is bad lambs = Badlands—that is, if Criterion successfully licensed from Warner.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

One theory is bad lambs = Badlands—that is, if Criterion successfully licensed from Warner.

Oh god yes :circlefap:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The image file calls it Wacky Lambs, so maybe not Badlands?

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

TrixRabbi posted:

The image file calls it Wacky Lambs, so maybe not Badlands?

Every image file says that it's "wacky something" for some reason I can't recall - something about the new logo being called the "wacky C". All it does is help us know that if there is a pun there, it's on the word Lambs.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

DetoxP posted:

Every image file says that it's "wacky something" for some reason I can't recall - something about the new logo being called the "wacky C". All it does is help us know that if there is a pun there, it's on the word Lambs.

Ah. Well, then Badlands may actually be it. I would assume Killer of Sheep and The Silence of the Lambs don't quite work anyway.

Also, does anyone know whatever came of On The Waterfront, after that clue with the pigeons, with boxing gloves, by the ocean.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Maybe next year, probably with the other hints that didn't make it.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
What other hints were there that didn't make it? All I can remember are On the Waterfront and I think Y Tu Mama Tambien.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Has there been any word on what the deal with Eraserhead is? How long was Quadrophenia on Hulu before they announced that? Or do they often get deals to only put stuff on Hulu without giving it a physical release?

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
The brand-new restoration of Jacques Demy's Lola screening at MoMA today is a Janus print. Maybe a Criterion will come of it? They're not touring the print, as far as I know, so maybe not?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

There might be more to come (Eclipse set?) but here's what is posted so far:

#234 - THE TIN DRUM (reissue) (BR/2-disc DVD, Jan 15)

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the complete version, approved by director Volker Schlöndorff
•Newly remastered 5.1 surround soundtrack, approved by Schlöndorff and presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
•New interview with Schlöndorff about the making of The Tin Drum and the creation of the 2010 restored, complete version
•New interview with film scholar Timothy Corrigan
•German audio recording from 1987 of author Günter Grass reading an excerpt from his novel The Tin Drum with musical accompaniment, illustrated with the corresponding scene from the film
•Television interview excerpts featuring Schlöndorff, Grass, actors David Bennent and Mario Adorf, and cowriter Jean-Claude Carrière reflecting on their experiences making the film
• Trailer
• New English subtitle translation
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Atkinson and 1978 statements by Grass about the adaptation of his novel

#397 - IVAN'S CHILDHOOD (BR, Jan 22)

Blu-Ray upgrade

#414 - TWO-LANE BLACKTOP (BR, Jan 8)

Blu-Ray upgrade

#643 - THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (BR/DVD, Jan 15)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New audio commentary featuring film historian Philip Kemp
•New interview with filmmaker Guillermo del Toro
•The Illustrated Hitchcock, an extensive interview with director Alfred Hitchcock from 1972, conducted by journalist Pia Lindstrom and film historian William Everson
•Audio excerpts from filmmaker François Truffaut’s legendary 1962 interviews with Hitchcock
•Restoration demonstration
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Farran Smith Nehme

#644 - PINA (2-disc BR/2-disc DVD, Jan 22)

•High-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Wim Wenders, presented in two editions: Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray combo, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack, and DVD
•Audio commentary featuring Wenders
•The Making of “Pina” (available in 3D)
•Deleted scenes with commentary by Wenders (available in 3D)
•Behind-the-scenes footage
•Interview with Wenders
•Trailer
•English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring a piece by novelist and essayist Siri Hustvedt; reprinted pieces by Wenders and choreographer Pina Bausch; information on the dances featured in the film; and portraits of the dancers

My take:

reissues - I don't like any of these enough to buy them, although Ivan comes close. This is an odd batch.

TMWKTM - Mmmmmaybe. I like it more than the remake, but maybe not enough to own. The extras are enticing, though.

Pina - I would have sworn someone already released this on Blu. Maybe they did. Anyway, rental for me, possible purchase if I like it.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Yesssss, now I don't have to import the MoC Blacktop.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FitFortDanga posted:

#643 - THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (BR/DVD, Jan 15)
François Truffaut’s legendary 1962 interviews with Hitchcock

Can anyone clarify what this is? I've read the book, but I didn't know video existed.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Criterion Cast got my loving hopes up about A Brighter Summer Day yesterday so I find everything disappointing.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

morestuff posted:

Can anyone clarify what this is? I've read the book, but I didn't know video existed.

It's not video, it's audio. Excerpts appear on some other Hitchcock releases as well.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
gently caress me, gonna have to upgrade Ivan's Childhood for sure.

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

My girlfriend went to see the Nerdist podcast live with Guillermo del Toro on Friday. He mentioned that Criterion is working on The Devil's Backbone but isn't allowed to talk about it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FitFortDanga posted:

It's not video, it's audio. Excerpts appear on some other Hitchcock releases as well.

Thanks. It looks like it's available for free online, too.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I like my copies of Two-Lane Blacktop and Ivan's Childhood but I'm not in the financial position to buy anything twice. Black Top has to look incredible in high definition, though.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Dangerous Person posted:

Black Top has to look incredible in high definition, though.

I'd be more stoked to hear those roaring engines with improved sound.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I really can't describe how ecstatic I am about Blacktop coming out in Blu.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

kaujot posted:

I really can't describe how ecstatic I am about Blacktop coming out in Blu.

Amen. Just a shame it comes out a few days after my birthday...

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

From HTF:

quote:

Some titles confirmed during the Criterion talk at the Wexner Center: THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE, BADLANDS, ON THE WATERFRONT (presented in 3 aspect ratios: 1.66, 1.33, 1.85), SHOAH, a Satyajit Ray release (maybe the APU trilogy depending on the elements), maybe Bernard's LES MISERABLES, a pre-code title they couldn't talk about (maybe a Warner Brothers title as the discussion occurred when they were asked if they finally had a deal with WB), and Blu-ray upgrades of THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP and RICHARD III.

About time for more Ray!

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Hell yes, I've been waiting on a BR of Colonel Blimp for what feels like forever.

e: If WB lets them do stuff I will be really happy :ohdear:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Oh wow, Shoah. Looks like I'll finally get to cross that one off my list when it comes around.

And yay for Badlands and more Ray. :toot:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Excited for a Bluray treatment of Badlands, but

quote:

ON THE WATERFRONT (presented in 3 aspect ratios: 1.66, 1.33, 1.85)
What's the story behind that? Is the intended version in dispute or something?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Maybe they're just actively trying to annoy that one guy who freaks out about ratios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

On the Waterfront was shot for 1.85:1, with a 1.37:1 negative. It's meant to be matted, especially since it was shot in late 1953. Columbia switched to wide earlier that year - even Three Stooges shorts were shot for wide in Spring 1953. An unmatted version would be a waste of space.