Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BoostCreep posted:

Now if an original '63 Continental was being crushed in a new movie today I'd be all up in arms over it.
That's a sore point for many people with the ninteies The Avengers. The E-Type Emma Peel wrecks in the woods is a real one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I appreciate the point of this one, but I still don't like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aDs1sHJLFE

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I post that video whenever anyone goes "harp darp my old car is made of of iron and steel and would best your car in a collision" :colbert:

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
I don't think this person understands how the box of a truck works.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

DocCynical posted:

Gotta keep it in the cab because of the gently caress'n rakins, dude! The rakins!

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

It was nearly a new car at the time and they were making plenty more. After reading the description in that video, they didn't even destroy the '64 picture car. They went and bought a used '63 to crush, and it was only one.

It's like seeing a brand new Aston Martin being smashed in a new Bond film now. Nobody gets all upset when it's a brand new model in a modern film. Yes it's a gorgeous amazing car, but it's not rare yet and you can go purchase another brand new one right now if you wanted to. Plus now they typically have 12-15 identical cars since they all have to be made to look a certain way for each scene, and they are often ordered from the manufacturer specifically for the film to reduce cost. Still you don't see people getting all upset when a modern car gets destroyed in a film.

Now if an original '63 Continental was being crushed in a new movie today I'd be all up in arms over it.

I could have sworn I saw something where pretty much any car is a shell in a modern day movie (that is completely destroyed).

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 28, 2012

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hashal posted:

I could have sworn I saw something where pretty much any car is a shell in a modern day movie.

Ask Lobsterboy. :(

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

BoostCreep posted:

Like this? (where "crushed" ==> "heavily,irreversibly modified")

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Godholio posted:

I appreciate the point of this one, but I still don't like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aDs1sHJLFE

Didn't that car originally belong to a goon as well?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Starting at 2:45 :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmY7PykYNmw

quote:

Sure!!! We know how hard those parts are to find. And we also know we just increased the value of the parts we have left! :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SaNChEzZ posted:

Dont think that (ranchero?) is rated for that load.

PUGMOHON from Youtube posted:

WORKED AT HOLLYWOOD LINCOLN MERCURY IN HOLLYWOOD FL, WHERE THE FILM COMPANY BOUGHT BOTH OF THESE LINCOLNS. THE 63 WAS A USED ONE YEAR OLD CAR TRADED BY A LOCAL DOCTOR.THE USED CAR DEPARTMENT SENT THE 63 INTO OUR SHOP AND IT WAS COMPLETELY GUTTED FOR THE CRUSH SCENE. TECHS WERE INVITED TO THE "CRUSH" FILMING. THE ORIGINAL SCENE WAS SHOT AND THE CRUSHED 63 FLATTENED THE RANCHERO, AND THEY HURRIDLY WENT TO HOLLYWOOD FORD AND BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE, CUT THE REMAINS OF THE 63 IN 1/2 THEN RESHOT
:)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

It takes a special kind of rear end in a top hat to crush a very repairable 57 Bellaire. I know I've said this in the past, but growing up in Houston, there was a very large VW graveyard. The old fucker who owned it would not sell ANYTHING. Mostly because a ton of it was stolen. Well, when he finally keeled over, the place got foreclosed on, and they crushed EVERYTHING. 100s of cars. Split window bugs, tons of buses, lots of money.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I saw this guy today.

Not the best angle, but essentially only about 1/3 of the tire was actually inside the wheel well. Both sides were like that, too. He was driving about 20mph, so I ended up passing him and continuing on my way. Half a minute later, a police cruiser passed me going the opposite direction. As the cop gets in sight of this joker, I catch a sudden glimpse of :siren::siren: in my mirror. :feelsgood:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Hashal posted:

I could have sworn I saw something where pretty much any car is a shell in a modern day movie (that is completely destroyed).

Absolutely not. It is much cheaper just to buy a real car and destroy it than pay someone to create a replica. In the film industry nobody cares about vintage this or classic that. Why spend $20,000 on a replica of a classic muscle car when you can buy the real thing for 10? It all comes down to the bottom line and what fits in the budget. You should see how many real vintage items are used as props and then thrown away after a shoot because it's cheaper and easier to dump them in a dumpster than go through the process of selling them off again.

I've witnessed conversations like this first hand:

"what should we do with these perfect condition 1930's deco radio and refrigerator?"
"we're done with that scene. just trash 'em."

The film industry is extremely wasteful.

This was a very real '70 Charger that was destroyed. In fact they destroyed quite a few of them for the first film alone.

What is common is building a replica of a super rare car out of another vintage car because the original version is usually too expensive to buy for the film. They would buy, for example, a base model '67 Mustang with a 6 cylinder engine and build it to look like a GT500 instead of buying an actual expensive Shelby car. While this is somewhat better, they are still destroying probably several classic mustangs in the process.

Here's a good video showcasing the cars that were built for the 4th Fast and Furious movie. They built 240 cars for the film and destroyed pretty much all of them. Don't click if you don't want to see piles of wrecked Gran Torinos. They bought 9 of them for the movie, built them all to look the same, and then wrecked 8 of them during filming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=778mkceE0UQ

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

veedubfreak posted:

As much as I hate the DPF on my car eating a solid 20hp and 5mpg, the fact that douchebags can't run smoke tunes on their trucks anymore almost makes it worth it.

they just do a DPF delete. At least, that's what I was hearing a few years ago, not sure if the ECUs on the modern trucks will allow that.

DocCynical posted:

I completely agree, but I'm not sure the box of that truck really counts. In fact I think less hangs out of the cab window than would hang off the tailgate if he tried to put that in the back... that's why I don't even consider anything under a 6 foot bed, it makes it pretty difficult to pick up a load of lumber or plywood on the way back from work.

kastein fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 29, 2012

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

DocCynical posted:

Now taking bets that it was in the tray until he hit the brakes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The cab of a Sport Trac is longer than the bed. Those 2x4s are shoved down the passenger footwell (or up to the dash down the middle of the truck), they're probably 6-8 feet long and the bed is like 4.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BoostCreep posted:

Absolutely not. It is much cheaper just to buy a real car and destroy it than pay someone to create a replica. In the film industry nobody cares about vintage this or classic that. Why spend $20,000 on a replica of a classic muscle car when you can buy the real thing for 10? It all comes down to the bottom line and what fits in the budget. You should see how many real vintage items are used as props and then thrown away after a shoot because it's cheaper and easier to dump them in a dumpster than go through the process of selling them off again.

I've witnessed conversations like this first hand:

"what should we do with these perfect condition 1930's deco radio and refrigerator?"
"we're done with that scene. just trash 'em."

The film industry is extremely wasteful.

This was a very real '70 Charger that was destroyed. In fact they destroyed quite a few of them for the first film alone.

What is common is building a replica of a super rare car out of another vintage car because the original version is usually too expensive to buy for the film. They would buy, for example, a base model '67 Mustang with a 6 cylinder engine and build it to look like a GT500 instead of buying an actual expensive Shelby car. While this is somewhat better, they are still destroying probably several classic mustangs in the process.

Here's a good video showcasing the cars that were built for the 4th Fast and Furious movie. They built 240 cars for the film and destroyed pretty much all of them. Don't click if you don't want to see piles of wrecked Gran Torinos. They bought 9 of them for the movie, built them all to look the same, and then wrecked 8 of them during filming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=778mkceE0UQ

One of those godawful "M5s" was for sale in alberta awhile back for about 20k. Someone went through the trouble of buying the movie car, and importing it to canada.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Stay classy North Carolina

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I saw one in Baton Rouge the other day that said "Fighting terrorism since 1861" with the confederate flag on it. What's really sad is that there were two little kids in the van so I know how they're being raised.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There's a truck parked here that has a bumper sticker that says "You keep your (something I forgot), I'll keep the change" alongside a Semper Fi sticker.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Are you sure its not the other way around? I've seen a lot of "I'll keep my guns and money (etc.), you can keep the change" bumper stickers.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Dead horse runnin'..

Did I count 5.0 functional ribs?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
The missing word was probably "hope"

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Its amazing how each roll accommodates a vehicle.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Geoj posted:

^
Are you sure its not the other way around? I've seen a lot of "I'll keep my guns and money (etc.), you can keep the change" bumper stickers.
That was it, yeah. I got it mixed up.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Exactly what am I looking at here?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
A true American ankle

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Mustang Sully

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Bondematt posted:

A true American ankle

Thanks. I was truly confused for a few minutes.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
2-fer?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

As much as I hate the DPF on my car eating a solid 20hp and 5mpg, the fact that douchebags can't run smoke tunes on their trucks anymore almost makes it worth it.

As some of you know, I do a decent amount of work on DuraMax tuning. Trust me, morons run smoke tunes through a DPF all the time. As long as they don't leave it on a smoke tune for more than a few minutes at a time it doesn't totally screw things up. It's just less black and sooty and more white and oily.

Also, one of the first things you do to get more power out of one of those is replace the exhaust (which includes a DPF delete), followed by blocking off the EGR. Modifying the tune to keep the ECU from freaking out about their absence (including making them not throw codes and light the MIL) literally takes me less time than the actual flash process to upload the changes to the ECU. Of course, this is for off road vehicle only. Amirite?

And on the terrible car stuff, just about every person who has/wants a 5-way tune switch saves one or two slots for either a smoke tune or a really stupid lopey cam idle sounding tune that I came up with while playing around with a friend's truck. It's terrible, and I'm a terrible person for being an enabler. To my credit, I at least try to talk them out of that crap.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Motronic posted:

It's terrible, and I'm a terrible person for being an enabler. To my credit, I at least try to talk them out of that crap.

Actually you're not a really dedicated terrible person, Sir Motronic. You've always provided reasonable and sound advise.

I'm a tad ahead of you regarding bans and probations, but I'm pretty sure you'll eventually catch up.

You're one of the very few people (about 12-15) that keeps me coming back to this forum.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Paul Boz_ posted:

I saw one in Baton Rouge the other day that said "Fighting terrorism since 1861" with the confederate flag on it. What's really sad is that there were two little kids in the van so I know how they're being raised.

That reminds me of a shirt I used to see around Arizona a lot -- an old photograph of Geronimo and his band, standing defiantly with rifles, captioned "Homeland Security: Fighting Terrorism since 1492."

I kind of like that one.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/pag...xml&cmpid=share

Local "designers."(video link... worth it to experience all of the awfulness)

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

meatpimp posted:

Ahaha, Grove City never change.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

meatpimp posted:

This is what happens when you never get out of the third grade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Found some stills:

:911: