Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luce
Jan 2, 2008

good morning sunshine

pw pw pw posted:

Sure, I just put them all in the box top. It helps separate unturned tiles from the growing pool of right side up tiles.
It does, but this also makes it much easier to pick scraps and takes away from the challenge of actually finding those last few unturned tiles near the end of the race. Trade-off. I would recommend putting upturned tiles back in the box top :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I think I'll try that next time!

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

The huge online community plays two player because the downtime with more than two is a lot more interminable staring at a screen than sitting at a table.

There's that, but also a few other things. It's easy to track your opponent's deck and play strategically against him in 2P. The turn-order advantage gets worse in multiplayer. The endgame (Penultimate Province Rule etc.) is I think a lot more interesting, though having a point counter helps with that.

And it's just a different game in a lot of ways. You can singlehandedly pile out the Gardens; you're guaranteed at least 4 or 5 Fool's Golds/Minions/etc. if you want them; attacks aren't as severe and there are fewer Curses per player; etc. These changes aren't necessarily good or bad overall; certainly there's neat stuff that happens in multiplayer but doesn't happen in 2P, but the fact that the 2P variant is very highly regarded makes it seem like a shame never to play it.

Also the setup isn't that bad once you learn what you're doing. (Use a randomizer app, everyone.)

McNerd fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 27, 2012

The General
Mar 4, 2007

McNerd posted:

Also the setup isn't that bad once you learn what you're doing. (Use a randomizer app, everyone.)
I have a deck of randomizer cards. The place holder cards are all in a deck, I just randomly deal out 10 and there's my setup.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

The General posted:

I have a deck of randomizer cards. The place holder cards are all in a deck, I just randomly deal out 10 and there's my setup.

but that deck has like 400 cards gently caress shuffling that.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I was listening to the newest Little Metal Dog podcast which had an interview with Donald X Vacchamochafrappechino and it got me curious about both Kingdom Builder and Nefarious. Anyone have thoughts on either? The evil genius theme of Nefarious sounds especially delightful but the relatively low BGG rating put me off a bit.

Also, that dude has a creepy loving giggle.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I've played Kingdom Builder, it is very eh to me (disclaimer: I am not the biggest fan of Donald X's designs). It's a very simple game, but I feel that, like Dominion, a lot of the strategy takes place immediately after the game is set up and the rest of the game is just hoping for the opportunity to execute that strategy. Theme is completely tacked on, if that was a factor as well.

I won't say it's a bad game, but it is not a game that excites me in any way. Unfortunately, I can't think of another game that is comparable to it, so it has that at least?

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

Lawen posted:

I was listening to the newest Little Metal Dog podcast which had an interview with Donald X Vacchamochafrappechino and it got me curious about both Kingdom Builder and Nefarious. Anyone have thoughts on either? The evil genius theme of Nefarious sounds especially delightful but the relatively low BGG rating put me off a bit.

Also, that dude has a creepy loving giggle.

I liked Kingom Builder ok, but a group of my friends loved it, so much so I just gave it to one of them. It's really chill and relaxing, so depends on who's gonna be playing I suppose. I also had friends who weren't into it at all.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Yarrbossa posted:

(does anyone know anything about the ETA for the reprint to hit the shelves BTW?)

I also would like to know this.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
The Space Alert reprint is supposed to happen in a few months.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

VoodooXT posted:

The Space Alert reprint is supposed to happen in a few months.
I bought the reprint off of amazon a couple weeks ago.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

OperaMouse posted:

My girlfriend loves the Civilization computer game (IV), so I am looking for one of those board games with a similar theme.
We will be playing it mostly with just the two of us.
What is a suitable one?
Through the Ages ranks pretty high on bgg and it's Vlaadaa, so I'm considering that one. You also got Sid Meier's Civilization. Are there other games like that?

I have the newest FFG Civilization game. It's not great.

TTA, from what I've played online, is probably the closest approximation you'll get to Civ, especially if you like the city management part. It's also a good game in its own right.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Naramyth posted:

That wasn't the reprint, that was some old stock that they managed to clear out from somewhere.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Naramyth posted:

What Elysium said. The reprint is coming with plastic cubes and rods to replace the wooden ones.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

OperaMouse posted:

My girlfriend loves the Civilization computer game (IV), so I am looking for one of those board games with a similar theme.
We will be playing it mostly with just the two of us.
What is a suitable one?
Through the Ages ranks pretty high on bgg and it's Vlaadaa, so I'm considering that one. You also got Sid Meier's Civilization. Are there other games like that?

I'm in the opposite boat. My gf loves 7 Wonders, and I'm trying to convince her how similar to Civ4 it is (which I've been addicted to lately).

I'm also looking for a great 2P Euroish game that can (hopefully) go up to 5+ as well.

Power Grid? Ticket to Ride? Small World? Dominion? Citadels? So many choices. So little money. I mean time.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pander posted:

Power Grid? Ticket to Ride? Small World? Dominion? Citadels? So many choices. So little money. I mean time.

All of these are pretty different games, so it's hard to make a blanket recommendation. Of them, Dominion or Citadels are probably the best for 2 players, although Dominion is also potentially the highest cost investment (because chances are you will want the rest of the expansions, and they are many). Power Grid is probably the heaviest and mathiest. Carcassonne, while not on your list, is also a good "girlfriend" game that plays pretty well in 2p, as is Takenoko, which is also by Antoine Bauza of 7 Wonders fame. Small World and Ticket to Ride, while good light games, are not that great in 2p.

In short, the answer to your question seems to be Dixit.

Edit: Generally, games don't scale that well from 2-5+. I notice that, despite what it listed on the box, most games are really "designed" for a pretty narrow range. They may be playable, but they may not be "good" outside of that range.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 28, 2012

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Power Grid isn't really great with 2 players. It really works its magic with 4-5, so I wouldn't recommend getting it if you're going to do a lot of 2 player games.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
Picked up the new X-Wing game. Fun game, but it desperately needs a grid, the game would go 100x faster with a grid. Also, the box sucks... How do you fit all the expansions into the box without them falling through the hole in the top???

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
A while back in here people were saying that there were some good conversions of boardgame for tablets. Can people recommend any?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Most of them are for iOS and there is a whole separate thread for them. Otherwise you could try Dominion on isotopic on your browser.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

Most of them are for iOS and there is a whole separate thread for them. Otherwise you could try Dominion on isotopic on your browser.

Isotropic is fantastic and you should try it while you still can, but be aware the interface isn't very tablet-friendly. There are a small handful of cards that don't have full functionality for lack of drag-and-drop. (These are cards that say "put cards back on your deck in any order," like Apothecary, Cartographer, and Navigator. Ghost Ship is okay, oddly enough). And there are a few annoying interface bugs you have to work around, if they can be called bugs when they're the result of an unsupported platform.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

dishwasherlove posted:

a whole separate thread

Join us! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3464435

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

GrandpaPants posted:

All of these are pretty different games, so it's hard to make a blanket recommendation. Of them, Dominion or Citadels are probably the best for 2 players, although Dominion is also potentially the highest cost investment (because chances are you will want the rest of the expansions, and they are many). Power Grid is probably the heaviest and mathiest. Carcassonne, while not on your list, is also a good "girlfriend" game that plays pretty well in 2p, as is Takenoko, which is also by Antoine Bauza of 7 Wonders fame. Small World and Ticket to Ride, while good light games, are not that great in 2p.

In short, the answer to your question seems to be Dixit.

Edit: Generally, games don't scale that well from 2-5+. I notice that, despite what it listed on the box, most games are really "designed" for a pretty narrow range. They may be playable, but they may not be "good" outside of that range.

I know my wife enjoys the old Caesar games on her PC but is not a huge board game fan. Is Carcassonne anything like that? If not, what would be?

BlueInkAlchemist fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 28, 2012

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

VoodooXT posted:

What Elysium said. The reprint is coming with plastic cubes and rods to replace the wooden ones.

Oh. :frogbon:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I know my wife enjoys the old Caesar games on her PC but is not a huge board game fan. Is Carcassonne anything like that?

No, not even a little.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I know my wife enjoys the old Caesar games on her PC but is not a huge board game fan. Is Carcassonne anything like that? If not, what would be?

If she's not a big board game fan, she probably doesn't want anything too complex. And unfortunately, anything involving empire-building and military conflict is going to be complex without computer assistance.

Maybe ask her what she likes about the game and we can figure out something that gives the same general feel without necessarily being thematically similar or too complex.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I got my wife interested by starting small.

Carcassonne was one of the first games we played.
We then moved on to Settlers of Catan.

Euro games are generally going to be your best bet to get her interested, I find that they have a good amount of depth but the game play and directions tend to be easy to digest and understand.

Some other games my wife enjoys now are
Betrayal at house on the hill
Citadels
Battlelore
Arkham Horror
Elder Sign (one of her favs right now)
Last Night On Earth
Infernal Contraption
Race for the Galaxy

there are more but those are the ones I can think of.

Here is my collection, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/TR0LL?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1
Its mostly upto date, but I never really track my number of plays.

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again.
I had never played Robo Rally until last night. We played with 7 people and it was chaotic but fun. I have a group that has fun with just about anything though (last week we had 9 and played the 1970 version of Family Feud.) I'm not sure Robo Rally really needs any more reviews, but there you go.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Played my first game of Netrunner today, and it seemed... kinda slow, I guess?

Is the runner able to trash the card he accesses when he runs R&D/HQ? It seems odd to me that he can see the card but not do anything about it unless it has a trash cost, which he then pays even though the card isn't active.

I was playing as the corp (Jinteki vs Shaper, basic decks) and it seemed that in order to get the cash you require, you constantly burn turns on nothing but credits. What's more, the runner has pretty much no recourse but to simply wait for the Corp to play some kind of asset, building up his own equipment in the meantime and maybe running R&D now and then, provided it hasn't been iced too heavily. Am I missing something vital here?

I think I could enjoy this game once I play it a little more, but it seems a little stagnant on first playthrough, I just want to know if I was playing it correctly, and if there's anything a runner can do against a corp that hasn't been playing agendas apart from run R&D/HQ repeatedly.

(In retrospect, I suppose that's the point - if you don't deploy agendas you have to hold them in your hand until they need to be discarded, at which point the runner grabs em for free?)

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

bobvonunheil posted:

Is the runner able to trash the card he accesses when he runs R&D/HQ? It seems odd to me that he can see the card but not do anything about it unless it has a trash cost, which he then pays even though the card isn't active.

I was playing as the corp (Jinteki vs Shaper, basic decks) and it seemed that in order to get the cash you require, you constantly burn turns on nothing but credits. What's more, the runner has pretty much no recourse but to simply wait for the Corp to play some kind of asset, building up his own equipment in the meantime and maybe running R&D now and then, provided it hasn't been iced too heavily. Am I missing something vital here?

I think I could enjoy this game once I play it a little more, but it seems a little stagnant on first playthrough, I just want to know if I was playing it correctly, and if there's anything a runner can do against a corp that hasn't been playing agendas apart from run R&D/HQ repeatedly.

(In retrospect, I suppose that's the point - if you don't deploy agendas you have to hold them in your hand until they need to be discarded, at which point the runner grabs em for free?)

Yes. If you just sit on Agendas and don't install anything, you're going to lose as Corp. No, you shouldn't spend entire turns on getting credits unless there's an OBVIOUS goal there. You should have cards that get you credits, and then use your clicks sparingly. Runners can trash any card they expose that isn't in the Archives. This is amazingly powerful because it can deny the corp powerful options and eliminate strong bonuses - like the thing that gives them a credit a turn.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Holy poo poo is Space Alert awesome. My gaming lunch group didn't even die. The first run was really rough because I sucked at explaining the turn order but the second game things worked as intended and despite two crew members shooting guns with no power or shooting guns at nothing they lived and had a blast.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?

bobvonunheil posted:

If the runner accesses any card in any server, remote or local, with a trash cost, they can pay it's trash cost and trash it. Even if you can't do anything about a card you access, it's always better to have that extra knowledge about what your opponent has.

bobvonunheil posted:

What's more, the runner has pretty much no recourse but to simply wait for the Corp to play some kind of asset, building up his own equipment in the meantime and maybe running R&D now and then, provided it hasn't been iced too heavily. Am I missing something vital here?
Not really, early runs on HQ and R&D prior to being well defended are important to the runner player, as you can snatch an agenda from the corp before they have a chance to do anything.

bobvonunheil posted:

It sounds like you were playing correctly, but if the corp never plays out anything to a remote server, they can't win the game and will eventually get decked.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

bobvonunheil posted:

sicarius posted:

Yes. If you just sit on Agendas and don't install anything, you're going to lose as Corp. No, you shouldn't spend entire turns on getting credits unless there's an OBVIOUS goal there. You should have cards that get you credits, and then use your clicks sparingly. Runners can trash any card they expose that isn't in the Archives. This is amazingly powerful because it can deny the corp powerful options and eliminate strong bonuses - like the thing that gives them a credit a turn.

Just to clarify this: You can trash cards that you access from R&D or the HQ but only if they have a trash cost.

I just played a couple games of this myself and we made a pretty big mistake by using multiple programs against a single ICE, which led to the Runner dominating both games using the beginner decks and getting early access to Magnum Opus. I'm looking forward to playing the game correctly, maybe tomorrow. Overall I was a bit let down, not in the remake but rather in how the game itself plays. I think I'll have to get into the deck building and tinker around a bit because it definitely did seem like the Corp was way slower and more expensive that it should have been, and just looking at the other decks I can already tell that 'tagging' is massively underrepresented in the starter decks.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
FINALLY played a proper 2-player game of Netrunner at lunch. It took my co-worker and I a practice round to get our heads around all of the rules (memory capacity, net damage, flatlining, etc). I agree that the starter Corp deck is very slow and credit hungry. Careful planning of Ice is possible, but with just a few programs and The Toolbox the Runner just walked all over me (I was the Corp). Going to take the Corp deck & cards home to mock up a new deck.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

I just played a couple games of this myself and we made a pretty big mistake by using multiple programs against a single ICE,

Can you be more specific about what you think you got wrong? Because you can use multiple programs against a single ICE, although there's only so many cases where you'd actually want to.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
Tagging is big in the NBN default deck, although they don't have a whole lot to do once the runner is tagged aside from drain their credits with Closed Accounts. I haven't tried deck building yet, but at the very least, if I were running NBN, I'd probably take both copies of Scorched Earth from the Weyland cards. Bait them into running into an advanced Ghost Branch (preferably with 4+ tokens, so they can't remove them all in one turn if they have a large number of credits, when I did it to my opponent when I played last time I hit them with 5 tags), and then burn them to death.

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I just played a couple games of this myself and we made a pretty big mistake by using multiple programs against a single ICE, which led to the Runner dominating both games using the beginner decks and getting early access to Magnum Opus. I'm looking forward to playing the game correctly, maybe tomorrow. Overall I was a bit let down, not in the remake but rather in how the game itself plays. I think I'll have to get into the deck building and tinker around a bit because it definitely did seem like the Corp was way slower and more expensive that it should have been, and just looking at the other decks I can already tell that 'tagging' is massively underrepresented in the starter decks.

Most of the corp starting decks have problems generating credits. Beanstalk Royalties (Weyland, gain 3 credits) seems like a 'must-have' corp card and should be in any deck you make.

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

KamikazeJim posted:

Tagging is big in the NBN default deck, although they don't have a whole lot to do once the runner is tagged aside from drain their credits with Closed Accounts.

Psychographics!!! It's a really good card!

KamikazeJim posted:

I haven't tried deck building yet, but at the very least, if I were running NBN, I'd probably take both copies of Scorched Earth from the Weyland cards. Bait them into running into an advanced Ghost Branch (preferably with 4+ tokens, so they can't remove them all in one turn if they have a large number of credits, when I did it to my opponent when I played last time I hit them with 5 tags), and then burn them to death.

A cool thing you can do with NBN is add Scorched earth + Aggressive negotiation (weyland, search R&D for any card on a turn where you score an agenda). Then with the right setup you can:
-Score Breaking news to put 2 temporary tags on the runner
-You can now play AN and the runner is tagged, so find scorched earth, boom.

Easier said than done, of course.

ConorT fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 28, 2012

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
If you're going to dump all your influence on a flatline strategy for NBN (I still maintain you really shouldn't, fast advance is all right there in faction and it is scary as all get out), then also consider Scorched Earth + Archived Memories. If you can get a Breaking News with 2 advancement on it and 6 credits in the bank, it's pretty much a guaranteed win.

Protip: fast advance does not actually mean you try to rush and win the game in very few turns. It means you slowly set up a position from which you can score any agenda from hand. Guaranteed to make a runner panic once it's up and running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Tendales posted:

Can you be more specific about what you think you got wrong? Because you can use multiple programs against a single ICE, although there's only so many cases where you'd actually want to.

We were combining the strength values against a single ICE. So if the ICE had a strength of 4 and I had a Program with strength 3 and one with strength 1 I would add them together versus the value of the ICE instead of having to make them both 4 in order for them to interact with the ICE. You're right there's probably very few times you'd want to use more than one program against a single ICE card. But basically we found the Runner was netting more money than he was losing doing a run against a target with 3 pieces of ICE on it and looked back over the rules and were like, "oh that would be costing you at least 6 more dollars than we thought."

I also wish they'd put the Memory Units on the character cards. Not that it's hard to remember that you have 4 once you've read the rule, it's just confusing as opposed to just tossing a +MU icon on the Character Cards.

• Locked thread