Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

leidend posted:

I finally started watching The Wire thanks to infinite suggestions on this forum. Already hooked, but the price on Apple TV is ridiculous. $30+ for one season of a show that aired in 2002? I can get almost two months of HBO Canada for that. :saddowns:

On the bright side, maybe they'll finally put season 2 of Game of Thrones on Apple TV Canada by the time I'm done with it.

Why does HBO hate Canada and/or why does Shaw (cable provider) hate HBO :(

I've got TelusTV and HBO on Demand has every episode of The Wire. it's Shaw that's terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
America Dad: I have no idea how or why Family Guy can stay in the spotlight, despite this show being on. The characters are 10x funnier, 10x more original and the situational humor nails it. I love how the CIA is a basically a boys club/adult daycare center.

Roger is easily the funniest character I've ever watched. I could fill an entire thread with Roger quotes. I love how every role he plays equates to a mediocre, middle aged type shlub, in one way or another. He's never the best at whatever he pretends to be. He's always mediocre and just can't seem to get it together.

waste of internet fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 28, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

CBJSprague24 posted:

Top Gear (UK). I'm tackling the shows with the challenges/adventures first because that's what I'm most interested in.

I love this show.

Is there a list or something of the "best" episodes to watch? There are so many and I'll never get through them all, but I do enjoy the show.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I finally got a Netflix subscription so I've been watching Breaking Bad, which is utterly brilliant so far. (I just finished Season 1). I heard it gets even better after this so I'm happy. :)

I've also been watching season 1 of Community and having a ton of fun with it. The characters are all entertaining and every episode has me in tears.

e:

triplexpac posted:

Is there a list or something of the "best" episodes to watch? There are so many and I'll never get through them all, but I do enjoy the show.

I don't think so, no. The specials are probably my favourite episodes, the Africa and Arctic ones in particular.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

triplexpac posted:

People seem to ask that a lot, but inevitably such discussion devolves into a messy list that basically encompasses pretty much every episode or series.

Bare minimum would be the cheap car & "How hard can it be?" challenges and the cross-country specials, but you might as well just start with series 3 and watch everything. Sure there will be some dull episodes here and there but just easier than trying to pare it down.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Nate RFB posted:

People seem to ask that a lot, but inevitably such discussion devolves into a messy list that basically encompasses pretty much every episode or series.

Bare minimum would be the cheap car & "How hard can it be?" challenges and the cross-country specials, but you might as well just start with series 3 and watch everything. Sure there will be some dull episodes here and there but just easier than trying to pare it down.

And there are some great, isolated moments that might make an otherwise lackluster episode shine. For example, there's an episode in the third season (episode 5, I think) where they tried to see how much damage a Toyota Hilux/Tacoma could take and still run, and they then revisited that in a spectacular fashion in a little 8 minute section in a later episode. Just go for the whole thing so you don't miss bits like this.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
MASH Project

Requiem for a Lightweight (1.3)

So, as this episode, which can be found, of course, on the first season DVD set, begins, Hawkeye and Trapper are on their way to the operating room, distracted because they’re playing a walking game of Gin Rummy. Suddenly, they run into a nurse just coming out of the showers, clad only in a towel. It’s Marcia Strassman as new nurse Margie Cutler. She’ll be a briefly recurring character.

Later, while the two are chatting up Cutler, Margaret comes up and sends Cutler away and then gives Hawkeye and Trapper a reaming out and tells them to stay away from her nurses.

Trapper then tells Hawkeye that he’s exhausted and is going to sack out for a week. Hawkeye says he’s got some patients to check up on. They then, of course, bump into each at the door to Nurse Cutler’s tent.

Trapper is carrying a small bouquet of flowers and Hawkeye has a pair of silk stockings slung over his shoulder. “Are those for me?” Hawkeye asks Trapper, pointing to the flowers. “If you’ll put those on,” Trapper says, thumping the stockings.

Radar brings Henry a sheaf of blank papers to sign. “It’s to cut down on your workload,” Radar says. “I’m not signing blank papers,” Henry snaps, “I don’t even know what I’m signing when they’re not blank.”

So, Margie tells Hawkeye and Trapper that Margaret’s transferred her to another outfit. So, they hit up Henry to try to get him to override her. Henry offers them a deal. General Barker wants the 4077th to put up a boxer for the inter-unit boxing tournement. Henry says if Hawkeye and Trapper help him with his problem, he’ll help them with theirs.

Trapper tells Henry to just get whoever they put up last year. “I can’t,” Henry deadpans. “She’s gone.”

Hawkeye and Trapper tell Henry that they can’t do it. Immediately upon leaving his office, Hawkeye starts putting the hard sell on Trapper about what great shape he’s in: “I’ve seen the guys sneaking peeks at you during calisthenics.” “Which guys have been sneaking peaks at me in calisthenics?” “I’d rather not say. Some of them are married.”

Next thing you know, Trapper’s sparring with Radar. Gary Burghoff does some sublime physical comedy here.

McLean Stevenson enters, watches blank faced for about ten seconds and then says, “I’ll write his wife.” Great delivery.

Oh HEY it’s William Christopher as Father Mulcahy! First appearance!

The scene ends with Radar planting one right in Trapper’s stomach. Pretty good.

More comedic sequences of training. “How far have I run?” “Thirty feet.” “That’ll do it.”

Trapper’s working out on a punching bag, which is actually Frank’s duffel bag. Margaret happens by: “Wait a minute, isn’t that Frank’s bag?” “I thought you were Frank’s bag.” Touche, Trapper, touche. That’s the first legitimatly funny insult they’ve given Margaret.

So, General Barker arrives with his boxer, who is, of course, incredibly huge. Radar tells a story that he heard about the guy getting mad and punching a jeep. And knocking it out. I don’t even know how to react to a story like that.

John Orchard appears here as Ugly John. It’s his second appearance after a brief OR appearance in the Pilot. I think he vanishes pretty quick.

Anyway, Ugly John being an anesthetist, he douses Trapper’s right glove in Ether. Just keep jabbing him, Ugly John says and he’ll go down. Does this lead to an extremely labored gag in which Ugly John accidentally passes out himself? You know it does.

Henry decides he wants Trapper to back out since he’s afraid he’ll get hurt, especially his hands, you know, Trapper being a surgeon. Hawkeye reassures Henry by letting him in on the ether trick, but Hawkeye, rather stupidly now that I think about it, tells Henry in front of Frank. I’m not sure what Hawkeye was thinking there.

General Barker asks Henry if he’d like a gentlemanly wager: “What do you say to a hundred?” “Dollars?”

Frank and Margaret switch Trapper’s small bottle of ether with a bottle of distilled water.

Father Mulcahy introduces General Barker’s fighter: “With a record of ninety-seven wins, no losses and three arrests . . .”

Very funny gag in which Radar rings the bell very loudly and the guy sitting next to the bell on the other side flinches. It’s all in the execution. Trust me, it’s funny.

Hawkeye figures it out when Trapper keeps getting knocked down. He dashes back to the OR for some real ether.

So, the General’s fighter gets the ether in the face and topples out of the ring, landing, of course, right on Frank and Margaret.

The next day, Henry brings Nurse Cutler to the Swamp: “Gentlemen, you have lived up to your part of the bargain. I have lived up to mine. *aside to Nurse Cutler* Keep moving or you’re dead.”

Hawkeye tries to put the moves on Cutler, but she goes for Trapper and his black eye , of course. “I managed him,” Hawkeye says ineffectually. “Does it hurt?” Maggie moans, gazing into Trapper’s eyes. “No, not at all,” Hawkeye avers.

Well, that wasn’t much of a twist. I suppose the main interesting things about this episode are all kind of cast related: it introduces Nurse Cutler who will briefly be a supporting character and, most significantly of all, introduces William Christopher, the “real” Father Mulcahy. Beyond that, it introduces him as having trained boxers in the past; that’ll be an enduring part of his character, his love of the violent game of boxing. Interesting that they had it from the beginning. Did Dago Red love boxing in the movie? Man, I don’t remember.

On the technical side of things, it’s worth mentioning that this is the first episode directed by legendary television director Hy Averback, who would end up directing an astounding number of MASH episodes.

Plotwise, not a particularly strong episode. Some good line deliveries, but nothing out of the ordinary.

*1/2 out of **** stars.

Hy Averback,Robert Klane

MASH Episodes, by Quality:

1. To Market, to Market

2. Requiem for a Lightweight

3. Pilot

The Abridged MASH

To Market, to Market

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I recently finished Series 5 and 6 of Doctor Who, and holy crap this show has the perfect mixture of whimsical charm and crushing loneliness, I've never seen a show like this before. Series 6 I thought had a little too much River Song/Amy, but it was really interesting learning the back story, and I hope that Series 7 is also similarly amazing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

triplexpac posted:

As others have said, you can't go wrong with the Specials, the Vietnam and Florida ones being memorable. Some of the Clarkson vs. May/Hammond challenges are good, the best of which being the London-Oslo challenge where James and Richard take the ferry while Jeremy has to drive.

The Reliant Robin Space Shuttle, Build a Train, Airport Vehicle Race, and the two Amphibious Vehicle challenges are great as well.

If you're a fan of racing, the Britcar 24-hour race one is good showing the three hosts and The Stig making up a four-driver team.

e- Add the Campervan challenge.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 29, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watch James May in Space. It's the best "Top Gear" episode ever.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Just totally blew through the reboot of Nikita.

I loved it. The cast was awesome and it was much better than I ever remember anything else related to the name being. I may be biased because they're currently filming in Toronto and I keep running into Shane West, though. :swoon:

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Dinner with Dana (2002) - Jon Cassar

Absolutely idiotic and profoundly annoying episode that revolves around muck raking reporter Dana Bright, who has been a recurring character since the very first episode. In this episode, she gets Johnny over to her house and attempts to seduce him, if by seduce we mean she blinks heavily at him and heaves her bosom about a hundred times. But Johnny's psychic abilities show him the wounded little girl inside this supposedly confident woman! Yes, it's ultimately revealed that when she was a little girl, her father . . . sent her to her room when she was bad! Wait, what?! This is what passes for psychological trauma now? My God, at least she could have been abused or something; did he at least slap her? No, just . . . sent her to her room. Plus, Kirstin Dalton doesn't have any depth at all; she's really a horrible actress who is one of the main problems with the first couple of seasons of this show, I think. This is still probably the show's very worst episode. Utterly risible.

Shaman (2002) - Rachel Talalay

The penultimate episode of the first season and one of the best of the series. Driven by visions of disaster, Johnny finds himself in the Maine woods, but when he stumbles into an ancient cave he realizes that the disaster he keeps seeing occured hundreds of years ago and then he finds himself in communication with an ancient Native American shaman who is receiving visions of the same disaster before it happens. Sound confusing? It really isn't; this episode is masterfully sketched out and the way the episode very quickly orients you to the fact that when both Johnny in the present and the Shaman in the past touch the same object in the cave, they can see and interact with each other is a masterpiece of economy. Adam Beach is the shaman and its a very evocative performance, made even more amazing by the fact that the episode keeps Beach's performance entirely in the Indian language of his people, without even a single subtitle. Seeing Johnny and the shaman trying to communicate about their shared visions and deduce when and where the disaster will strike when they don't even speak the same language is wonderfully engaging. Most shows would have cheated and had the shaman miraculously speaking English, but not so here. This is a gripping and charming episode. A real exercise in legitimate creativity.

Destiny (2002) - Robert Lieberman

The thirteenth episode of the brisk first season and a great finale. Johnny's vision leads him to save several teens from a disastrous fire and when one of the teens turns out to be the son of a wealthy businessman, Johnny finds himself becoming a media icon overnight. Johnny isn't too sure how he feels about this, but that's soon the least of his worries; popular, charismatic Greg Stillson is coming to town to campaign for the local Senate seat and when Johnny shakes his hand at a press gathering, he's given a mysterious vision that eventually resolves into the apocalypse, a vision of Washington, DC utterly destroyed. In this long form version of the novel, where the show has spent most of the first season telling its own stories, it's great to see Stillson and realize that the show is going to give us the novel's story too. What makes this even better? Greg Stillson, so memorably played by Martin Sheen in the Cronenberg movie, is here played by Sean Patrick Flanery, in what, as the show progresses, becomes his best performance, a conflicted, realistic, canny, pragmatic and amoral politician. This is great stuff; when Hall and Flanery meet in this episode, you can already see the sparks flying - these are two actors at the top of their game, imbuing their every moment together with a sense of absolute good and evil. The episode ends on a dark note, Johnny having finally given in to a nagging temptation, Greg Stillson on the march to Washington and Johnny unsure how to stop him. This episode signals good things for Season Two.

What a fun season of television.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Trebek posted:

I watched the first season of Continuum in like 2 days. It was pretty solid for a sci-fi serial. Only 10 eps in the first season.

I've been meaning to watch it, but is it available legitimately in the US?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Siffy picked it up for some future date.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Just finished season 2 of Fringe.

The Good

--Olivia is not as bland as she was in S1. Really dug her in the last few episodes, had the best character arc this season. Still don't know why the sister and her kid is on the show and I still don't give a gently caress about 'em.

--Walter got little development this time around between episodes 1 to loving 16 which sucked (though there was a pivotal episode or two in there like 'Grey Matters'), but episode 16 to the end were excellent Walter-building episodes.

--The Mr. Secretary reveal is like a Top 5 "OH poo poo" moment of all time. Greatest payoff to the shittiest of episodes ('Northwest Passage'), wish I'd been in the Fringe thread for it.

--The 'Peter'/1985 title sequence was awesome. I was like :D the whole episode.

--Everything that happened starting with episode 16 to the end was mostly pretty good stuff, especially the last few eps.

--Peter Weller had a great turn on this show as a one-off character. Peter Weller is good in everything pretty much.

The Bad

--Peter is the sophomore slump when it comes to characters. Didn't really care for the way he was used in S1, cared a lot less for the way he was used in S2. 'Northwest Passage' was Peter-centric, but was probably one of the harder episodes to get through. I don't blame Joshua Jackson, I blame the poo poo writing for 99% of that episode...the aforementioned ending redeemed it, but still -- that ending would redeem any crappy episode.

--Broyles got one episode focused on him and not a lot of screen-time after that. gently caress this show. Also, the FBI/Fringe Division aspect of the show pretty much all but disappeared. Cutbacks or something? Meh.

--The old switcharoo as this season's cliffhanger left a lot to be desired...it somehow crawled underneath the low bar set by S1.

The Ugly

--The musical episode. Whew boy, glad I didn't have to wait a week for the next episode like the people watching in real-time did. I'd have quit.

--Some of the writing was just atrocious in the last few eps., mainly:
-Peter's first conversation with Walternate occurs OFF-SCREEN :wtc:
-The powered-up meditation to get the team to the alt universe was just :rolleyes:
-Peter's literally-it-took-a-second decision to go back to the old world with Olivia. He just came over, saw this cool new world, re-connected with his real dad and mom, and all she does is show him a paper and does the chick version of "you complete me" and he's in. No struggle, no nothing. Ugh.

--Basically all the filler episodes which was a majority of them from 1 through 16. There were diamonds in the rough like 'August' or 'Grey Matters', but they were sandwiched between a bunch of poo poo. What a waste.

Overall, whatever, onto season 3.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

jazz babies posted:

Just totally blew through the reboot of Nikita.

I loved it. The cast was awesome and it was much better than I ever remember anything else related to the name being. I may be biased because they're currently filming in Toronto and I keep running into Shane West, though. :swoon:

Glad to see someone enjoying the show as much as I have so far. You're not biased. It's just awesome.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

waste of internet posted:

America Dad: I have no idea how or why Family Guy can stay in the spotlight, despite this show being on. The characters are 10x funnier, 10x more original and the situational humor nails it. I love how the CIA is a basically a boys club/adult daycare center.

Roger is easily the funniest character I've ever watched. I could fill an entire thread with Roger quotes. I love how every role he plays equates to a mediocre, middle aged type shlub, in one way or another. He's never the best at whatever he pretends to be. He's always mediocre and just can't seem to get it together.

I loving love American Dad. And yes, Roger gets some absolutely amazing lines. Bullock (PATRICK loving STEWART) gets some brilliant ones too.

Nate RFB posted:

Ratatozsk posted:

And there are some great, isolated moments that might make an otherwise lackluster episode shine. For example, there's an episode in the third season (episode 5, I think) where they tried to see how much damage a Toyota Hilux/Tacoma could take and still run, and they then revisited that in a spectacular fashion in a little 8 minute section in a later episode. Just go for the whole thing so you don't miss bits like this.

Clarkson driving the Reliant Robin was in a regular episode, and is still one of the funniest things they've ever done.

ESPECIALLY the Vietnam and America specials. They're like a full-on road movie.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 30, 2012

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

richardfun posted:

Glad to see someone enjoying the show as much as I have so far. You're not biased. It's just awesome.

Is this still based off that awesome French film La Femme Nikita?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's kind of the same character and kind of a reboot.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

VogeGandire posted:

I loving love American Dad. And yes, Roger gets some absolutely amazing lines. Bullock (PATRICK loving STEWART) gets some brilliant ones too.

American Dad is pretty love worthy. I remember watching the first couple episodes back when Family Guy came back, and swearing of the show forever. Anyways, I've been watching the episodes on netflix and it's amazing the jump in quality it has with each passing season. It gets crazy, but it never forgets it's characters. It's without a doubt in my mind the best cartoon running, even better then Venture Bros and Archer.

The opposite of that would be Scrubs. My god, what happened to the writers after Season 3? It's like everyone was killed and replaced with a horrible clone. The only saving grace would be the finale.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Glug_Glug posted:

The opposite of that would be Scrubs. My god, what happened to the writers after Season 3? It's like everyone was killed and replaced with a horrible clone.

A horribly botched clone with a malformed face in the case of Christa Miller.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Philthy posted:

Is this still based off that awesome French film La Femme Nikita?

I have to admit I've never seen the movie. But the new show is one of the best new things on tv in years. I was surprised myself it's as good as it is.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

richardfun posted:

I have to admit I've never seen the movie. But the new show is one of the best new things on tv in years. I was surprised myself it's as good as it is.

My friend does wardrobe, and she was actually surprised when I told her how much I liked the show.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot
I recently downloaded a bunch of episodes of LOST. I watched the first season and enjoyed it. I'm about a quarter way through the second season and kind of gave up. Does the show get any better, or should I just stop now?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're not loving it now I'd say stop.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Binging thru Battlestar Galactica. Kinda neat picking up the subtle nuances in the earlier episodes.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

how!! posted:

I recently downloaded a bunch of episodes of LOST. I watched the first season and enjoyed it. I'm about a quarter way through the second season and kind of gave up. Does the show get any better, or should I just stop now?

Carnivale is everything Lost wanted to be but better.

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

...and they all pretend they're orphans, and their memory's like a train
I'd never seen Fringe or even heard much about it until this past week. I've now seen every episode, and while I like the show, I'm really weirded out by the idea that the identity of a person being cannibalized by their counterpart in a parralel universe is seen as... well, acceptable. Or right. But they haven't touched upon this at all. Plus the VERY disturbing fact that Olivia's new personality isn't hers in any way, but merely a product of Peter's memory. And then the "HEY, LOOK OVER THERE!"-distraction of moving everything forward in time. Which I don't mind, in itself, because it promises to make the last episodes great. I just want some acknowledgement that Peter Bishop seems to be a mind-washer AND raper.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Went through Danger 5 again. It's the funniest goddamn show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITYlVxn6bL8

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

HMDK posted:

Plus the VERY disturbing fact that Olivia's new personality isn't hers in any way, but merely a product of Peter's memory.

That's not true. Both Olivia's memories and Peter himself (and possibly Walter's personality) were recovered from the overwritten timeline by Olivia's subconscious. They're not false memories extrapolated from Peter's, they genuinely belonged to the original Olivia.

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

Flatscan posted:

That's not true. Both Olivia's memories and Peter himself (and possibly Walter's personality) were recovered from the overwritten timeline by Olivia's subconscious. They're not false memories extrapolated from Peter's, they genuinely belonged to the original Olivia.

Wait, what? I'm not so much doubting you, as I am doubting my own mind, which is far too frequently like Walther's. So if you can point to which episode in which this is made clear I'd kiss you. Or at least offer a liquorice stick. At the very least I won't refer to you as the Jetson's dog.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

Carnivale is everything Lost wanted to be but better.

Except for exciting.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

HMDK posted:

Wait, what? I'm not so much doubting you, as I am doubting my own mind, which is far too frequently like Walther's. So if you can point to which episode in which this is made clear I'd kiss you. Or at least offer a liquorice stick. At the very least I won't refer to you as the Jetson's dog.

The episode where September tells Peter that he isn't in a separate timeline, but the original which has been rewritten.

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

Flatscan posted:

The episode where September tells Peter that he isn't in a separate timeline, but the original which has been rewritten.

That happened?
I thought I dreamed that. No, literally. Thank you.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

how!! posted:

I thought season 2 was interesting at the very beginning (the hatch stuff) and at the very end, but less so much in the middle. Season 3 was largely boring, except for the last four episodes, which are fantastic. Season 4 and 5 are very good. And if you make it that far, you might as well watch season 6.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HMDK posted:

I'd never seen Fringe or even heard much about it until this past week. I've now seen every episode, and while I like the show, I'm really weirded out by the idea that the identity of a person being cannibalized by their counterpart in a parralel universe is seen as... well, acceptable. Or right. But they haven't touched upon this at all. Plus the VERY disturbing fact that Olivia's new personality isn't hers in any way, but merely a product of Peter's memory. And then the "HEY, LOOK OVER THERE!"-distraction of moving everything forward in time. Which I don't mind, in itself, because it promises to make the last episodes great. I just want some acknowledgement that Peter Bishop seems to be a mind-washer AND raper.

In fact Peter was creeped out by this fact and was avoiding her until September told him that her real memories are returning.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

Vivek posted:

I thought season 2 was interesting at the very beginning (the hatch stuff) and at the very end, but less so much in the middle. Season 3 was largely boring, except for the last four episodes, which are fantastic. Season 4 and 5 are very good. And if you make it that far, you might as well watch season 6.

Pretty much exactly this. If you can let go of caring about the mysteries, and care instead about the characters and how they play off each other and the situations they're in, you'll enjoy it. But you will not get payoff for ANY of the mysteries.

And, HUGE SPOILER ABOUT A SEASON-LONG PLOTLINE. Season six introduces a new season-long mystery (you'll know it straight away) which, without spoiling it, I found to be unnecessary. I'd have enjoyed it much more if I'd have known. If you want to, check out this HUGE SPOILER:

Theflash-sidewaysisactuallyashared post-deathexperience theyusetogainclosure.
Treat it as such from the beginning, it's more pleasant.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I just watched first episode of Wilfred two days ago. I am almost finished with Season 1 now.

Where the gently caress did this show come from??

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

how!! posted:

I personally think season 2 is the worse season. I say at least watch until the season 3 finale, Through the Looking Glass. That episode is amazing, and it's worth seeing the build up to that. Besides you'll also see The Brig which might be my favorite episode of anything ever.

If you're not enjoying still, then by all means stop watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

In fact Peter was creeped out by this fact and was avoiding her until September told him that her real memories are returning.

Yeah, I missed that. Most likely because I've been watching the show like someone shotgunning a bottle of LSD-laced tequila. I'm in the grips of a an extended bout of insomnia, where the only sleep I get is like ten minutes R.E.M. at a time. So I probably faded out at a crucial plot point.

As for something else, though:
The way people watch tv-shows is changing.
What I mean is, there's a difference between following a show from the start, waiting for the next season, building up various expectations... and watching basically a whole, complete show you previously knew nothing about from first episode to last. I think now that everything's basically always available, we'll get weirder and weirder fanboy-gripes, simply because the way we see things are different over time. When you watch a show slowly, as it is aired, you have long gaps between episodes where you mull over the stuff you've seen, and you probably invest more tought and/or emotion into things that the writers of the show, whatever show that may be, never intended, or did, but not at the same level. And sometimes that is good, and if picked up by the writers can make things even better later. But if you watch everything almost at once, you get the authorial intent more directly, good or bad, and you don't build up expectations that don't fit. I'm not going on some sleep-deprived Jacques Derrida-like trip here, I just think this is an interesting development, and I'd like to know if someone has actually studied it.

HMDK fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 3, 2012