Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Jabronie posted:

I checked out the steam workshop for Shogun 2 and found a lot of maps that could only be used for custom battles. That had me wondering; is there a mod that can introduce more map diversity in the campaign?

There will be, hopefully.

I was considering starting a new game of Fall with some mods but now I'm not sure if the old process of installing them would work for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

achillesforever6 posted:

Oh Rome Total War it's been so long since I saw the faction videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45GCULCtvWk
:allears:
Oh it had an awesome intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvZWOG8QkOg

Oh man the Egyptian intro is like a North Korean ad, i never saw it before.

How i missed the Skeepeeai and the Bruuteeaii and the Juleeaii!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So with the mega sales on Total War I'm thinking of giving M2, Empire and/or Napolean another shot. What are the best mods for those? Other than the inevitable half-finished Lord of the Rings TC, are there any conversions worth looking at?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just got all the total wars in the pack. Which do I play first?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Rome Total War, It is a great place to start off as you learn the basics of pretty much everything.

az
Dec 2, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

There will be, hopefully.

I was considering starting a new game of Fall with some mods but now I'm not sure if the old process of installing them would work for now.

Why wouldn't it? I suggest you take a look at Radious' mods over at TWC, he does some good stuff and you can pick and choose what you want modded instead of getting one bigass pack.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Here's me hoping they'll make a Viking Invasion 2 in the distant future. :(

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Here's me hoping they'll make a Viking Invasion 2 in the distant future. :(

Or Mongol Invasion 2 :(

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Shogun 2 is the most polished, best balanced and easiest to get into out of the lot. I would recommend starting there if only for the fact that it also has the easiest learning curve out of all the games.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Jabor posted:

So with the mega sales on Total War I'm thinking of giving M2, Empire and/or Napolean another shot. What are the best mods for those? Other than the inevitable half-finished Lord of the Rings TC, are there any conversions worth looking at?

Medieval 2 - I dunno
Empire - Darth mod, believe it or not
Napoleon - I prefer 'La Montee De L'Empire', the combat is absolutely perfect

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
When are they making Empire 2. That's the only Total War game I've ever gotten in to.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Medieval 2 get stainless steel mod. Best game EU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Screw the new games when EB2 comes out for Medieval 2 its a instant reinstall for me.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Ugh. I caved and bought the TW pack, the first pack I've bought off steam in 8 years.

Maybe this will encourage me to complete a campaign in a TW game and get good at them. Is there any kind of awesome giant-sized strategy guide that won't spoil too much, but will make me feel like I'm in control of my nations?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You can't really spoil a game like this. You can update buildings to get new units and (in the new games) research new technology for updates but it's not hidden and you can see the upgrades and units they unlock from the very start of the campaign.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Zettace posted:

You can't really spoil a game like this. You can update buildings to get new units and (in the new games) research new technology for updates but it's not hidden and you can see the upgrades and units they unlock from the very start of the campaign.

I guess by spoiling I meant trivializing the experience.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Faffel posted:

I guess by spoiling I meant trivializing the experience.

Just play the tutorials and then pick a nation marked "Easy". Usually the powerhouse nations are pretty hard to lose with no matter how lovely you are. Depending on which game you're playing sometimes there are smaller scenarios where the objectives are more straightforward, these can be a good way to ease yourself into it without being overwhelmed by open-ended campaigns.

Then once you get the hang of the mechanics start picking more challenging nations.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Also try to start with factions that start on an island or on the border of the map. The TW AI is notoriously bad at naval invasions so that makes your position a lot safer.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I recommend that new players play on Domination or Long Campaign rather than the default Short Campaign. It gives you more time to complete your goals and in Shogun 2 it also delays Realm Divide.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Medieval 2 and its expansion, Kingdoms, are discounted on Steam today, and I'm debating on whether or not to get them and some mods. Does anyone have anything extra to say about Stainless Steel? It seems interesting, but if it's one of those mods that have cheating, endlessly subsidized AI opponents and annoying 'realism' features that can't be turned off then I think I'll pass.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Stainless Steel is definitely harder than vanilla, but I don't think it cheats that much. They all cheat to some extent.

What makes it different is each turn covers less world-time so you get more turns, there are a tonne more units and buildings, the world map is larger and more detailed, diplomacy and religion have been re-worked, expensive elite units are harder to get and you can start from an early period or high period. There's probably a lot more too.

I'm playing as Leon at the moment on hard/hard and it took me a good long while to unify all of Spain. Once you get established though it's not too bad and I now feel like I have so much money I can't hope to spend it unless I just pump florins in to endless trash stacks which I don't really find fun. It's probably because I've been doing an economic game though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just a heads-up: the last Early Era game I played with Stainless Steel ended up with a corrupted save game around the Timurid invasion. It wasn't the first time that a campaign was stopped dead because of that, so if you're playing to see the tech tree develop and stuff, it's going to be a gamble whether your savegame eventually shits itself and fails to complete the next turn.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's also really boring.

Starting in the later campaign will give you a rich variety in units, the early era is pretty much peasant parties for hundreds of turns.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Wellllp, just got my face punched in by four doomstacks of Mongols. I don't even have any decent troop building facilities in that part of the world, and all my existing troops are tied down in the process of beating up the French, nabbing a couple of cities, and then twiddling their thumbs and acting all innocent-like whenever the Pope glances over.

I ... think I'm going to abandon those territories for the moment and let the turks deal with them. Hopefully they won't come down near Jerusalem.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Rabhadh posted:

Screw the new games when EB2 comes out for Medieval 2 its a instant reinstall for me.

Yeah, enjoy waiting till 2016 buddy! :v:
:smith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A bloo bloo bloo, I have to wait to 2018 or later or not at all if they are ever going to try the Gun Powder era again.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
So I bought Medieval 2 for cheap (again) and now I'm looking at various mods. Specifically Broken Crescent and Stainless Steel. I know the latter from earlier versions. Since the TW Center Mod forums are completely and utterly terrible at actually explaining the features of their mods, could someone give me a little rundown of BC and the newest version of SS please?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Promontory posted:

Medieval 2 and its expansion, Kingdoms, are discounted on Steam today, and I'm debating on whether or not to get them and some mods. Does anyone have anything extra to say about Stainless Steel? It seems interesting, but if it's one of those mods that have cheating, endlessly subsidized AI opponents and annoying 'realism' features that can't be turned off then I think I'll pass.

Wouldn't say that the A.I. cheats very much, unless you're using grachul's A.I. Word to the wise, if you don't care about realism mods like armor and unit types not appearing before a set date, then stick with SS 6.2. It's the last version before grachul took control of the mod and tailored it to his own preferences. 6.2 is stable, but has rather aggresive A.I. If you're not up for that, then go 6.1 if you can find it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Irritatingly, it seems in the TWC forums they really can't even be bothered to explain or show what most mods or mini mods will do these days. Hopefully this will change now they got a reason to care again.

SeanBeansShakos Fall Of The Samurai Mod Guide!

I've decided it is time to return to the Crazy Japanese Civil War add on for Shogun 2, this time I've hunted down and installed some mods to make this play through a lot more different. I'm going to share and give you guys a brief guide in case you feel like you should play FOTS again since it takes up a huge amount of HD space but want a slightly different experince.

Simply extract all the contents of these mods into your Shogun 2/Data folder. The Modern Imperial Japanese Army reskin one requires you pick and mix what files
representing the silly Victorian hats you want your guys to wear.

Boshin: Total Domains:

Unlocks some of the non DLC minor FOTS Clans to play.

FoTS Artillery Unit Pack

Ever felt that Artillery was a little too easy or hard depending on which guy you supported in Fall? well, worry no more. Apparently CA left in quite a lot more for artillery in the games files but no doubt ran out of time/resources to stick it in.

Now clans both sides of the conflict can have access to Napoleonic era Smoothbore 6 pounders, fire rockets, proper 19th century Mortars, Howitzers and even stationary breach loaded Naval Artillery. This all works smoothly after installation, the AI can use them and hell the modder was kind enough to tweak the artillery tables AND throw in a better gun smoke mod just for you.

FOTS Bayonets:

With a bit of tweaking of the Yari animations, all the modern Imperial and Shogunate line infantry at last now use bayonets, which are models of unused content once again not added into the release of the game. Honestly this doesn't look that bad and like the previous mod easy to install.

Cheesy American Battle Announcer Silenced

If your tired of the chatty and over the top Battle Announcer who isn't as cool as the old Japanese guy just download this file and stick in your Shogun 2 Data file and forever more he'll shut the hell up.

NOIF's HISTORICAL FLAGS, BANNERS & UNIFORMS Boshin War Mod:

If you are a ~historical accuracy~ sperg like me or simply not a fan of the weird late Napoleonic colour fest all the clans uniforms seem to be sporting and would rather proper looking faction banners and flags and sober faction colours from the era this is the mod for you, combined with his Modern Imperial Japan Army mod which allows you to pick and mix several head gear and jacket styles from Elite Line from the Imperial clans and install them into all Imperial Infantry as well as updates sailor and marines clothing on ships from traditional to modern Victorian sailor and marine uniforms.

If you simply want a more touched up but still brightly uniformed set of clans for variety try the mans other reskin mod instead.

Breachloaders for Japanese Marines:

Replaces the old muskets with Breach loaded rifles for the Marines serving on your modern fleets.

Japanese Soldiers replying in Japanese:

Replaces the cheesy engrish replies from your soldiers with proper Japanese replies taken from the French version of the game.

Monthly Turn Mod

This makes turns change from 4 to 12 a year to double the time of the campaign, works only for FOTS.

Western Marines Reskins!

This mod reskins the American, French and British Marines and Agents on the battle and campaign maps so they all look unique.

Blood Screen Splatter Removal

Hate the fact that when you bought the Blood Pack CA neglected to note the fact it covers you screen and kills ~your immersion~. This mod comes in two flavours, one that kills the blood covering your own screen as you watch the fighting and the other reduces the blood level from crazy nineties horror anime to sensible.

Sinfonia Semplice: Corrupted Sound Fixer!

Sometimes adding new units to FOTS corrupts sound files. Simply install this after adding modded in units and your bows and arrows sound effects won't be gun fire and other sound issues will be fixed.

Radious Unit Pack 3: FOTS Edition!

Adds almost fifty new units to the FOTS tech trees for you to command and get horribly slaughtered.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 4, 2012

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Brutus Salad posted:

Yeah, enjoy waiting till 2016 buddy! :v:
:smith:
Why has it taken so long :negative:

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Promontory posted:

I had a good time playing SS for about 60 turns before some massive bug crashed the game each time I tried to make it to the next turn. Also if you're like me and the original game runs perfectly on your laptop at max settings SS will probably break that with all the unoptimized poo poo it seems to have added. Personally I'm always looking out for mods for TW games that do what SS does to the strategy map (add much needed depth, improves lovely AI ect), but doesn't add a bunch of other useless units and poo poo that run worse. I've yet to find something like that for ANY TW games though.

edit: in the same vein I'm still looking for a mod that does that stuff to Shogun 2, but doesn't change a bunch of units for the worse and make the game run badly

Someguy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 1, 2012

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos
I (re)bought Medieval 2 Kingdoms today and (re)installed Stainless Steel to play it again for the first time in many years- it seems even slower/unoptimized than I remember. The AI strategy map turns take like 5 minutes- They only take like 1 minute for me in Shogun on the same computer.

Also, looks like Fall of the Samurai is on sale for $7.50- Just grabbed it- time to cause some shameful displays!

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Stainless Steel has the longest turns ever. :smith:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jabor posted:

Wellllp, just got my face punched in by four doomstacks of Mongols. I don't even have any decent troop building facilities in that part of the world, and all my existing troops are tied down in the process of beating up the French, nabbing a couple of cities, and then twiddling their thumbs and acting all innocent-like whenever the Pope glances over.

I ... think I'm going to abandon those territories for the moment and let the turks deal with them. Hopefully they won't come down near Jerusalem.

Against the Mongols, your best bet is to take them on at bridge crossings. Set up artillery and hordes of archers/crossbows, a few guys with sticks to hold them up and maybe some cavalry if you want to chase them down when they rout.

In the field, you'll probably want 2 stacks for each of theirs. Position your armies so you can sandwich theirs and cross your fingers.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Do I need a church to get a new priest to convert my populace in Empire? My old priest died and those drat Ottomans have Imams parked outside of my citys! :argh:

Can you assassinate priest characters?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Yeah you can

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
If you're playing Stainless Steel, make sure "Show AI Moves" (or whatever it is) is OFF in options. That should reduce turn time substantially.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
Jesus christ I've had like 5 years of everyone hating me since I ascended to the Shogunate and now they have like 4 fleets off my doorstep of 10 ships each and my only route back to my capital is totally cut :suicide:

Welcome to Shogun 2 I guess.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
So I've finally gotten around to downloading Darthmod 8.0 after upgrading to my new rig, and I'm being driven mad by the increase in font size. For some reason Darth decided that it was a great idea to increase the font size of all text in DM:E, but then didn't give us the option to have standard text. It looks like absolute poo poo now, and I hate it and ohgodwhycantijustgoback.

Oh yeah, and the new Empire splash logo with Imperial march menu music. Just in-case you've forgotten what mod you're playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ugh, everytime I consider using it and then I read about yet another awkward Star Wars thing crowbarred into the UI.