Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blckdrgn
May 28, 2012

BeavisNuke posted:

Is premiere :filez: ? Sometimes that can mess it up. It opens normally in quicktime player and stuff? You might want to try transcoding the footage to pro res or something and then try opening it.

Yeah, opens fine even in Windows Media, guess its time to transcode. Never done that though, any app suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think prores is an option on windows. Do you have a clip short enough to put on ge.tt or something? I can take a look at it on my Premiere install to see if it's incompatibility with the program or an issue with your setup specifically.

Blckdrgn
May 28, 2012

powderific posted:

I don't think prores is an option on windows. Do you have a clip short enough to put on ge.tt or something? I can take a look at it on my Premiere install to see if it's incompatibility with the program or an issue with your setup specifically.

Sure, I'm at work at the moment but I've actually got my home computer rendering a 3 minute clip I want to use while I'm at the office. Its a Virtual Dub snip of the AVI file, once I get home I'll try to put it up.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Cross posting from the SHSC postprod thread:

I think I might be the only person in this thread who uses Sony Vegas Pro as my primary NLE but in case anyone else uses Vegas, Vegas Pro 12 is now out and it adds a lot that has been missing.

This includes better support for workflow in allowing import and export of native .veg file into AAF for Avid, XML for FCP 7, FCP X (export only) and DaVinci Resolve, and .prproj for Premiere Pro and After Effects. I can finally round trip to Resolve without huge work arounds. Pro 12 also adds support for Panasonic P2 DVCPRO and AVC-Intra media and encoding as HDCAM SR MXF.

Most importantly, it is also much more stable than Pro 11.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 29, 2012

Blckdrgn
May 28, 2012

powderific posted:

http://ge.tt/3bVRhZO/v/0?c

That should do it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Premiere Pro CS6 claims its an unsupported format or damaged file when I try to import it into a project. Sony Vegas Pro and Davinci Resolve don't work on the file either. BUT After Effects digests and plays the file just fine.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 29, 2012

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yuns posted:

Premiere Pro CS6 claims its an unsupported format or damaged file when I try to import it into a project. Sony Vegas Pro and Davinci Resolve don't work on the file either. BUT After Effects digests and plays the file just fine.

They just need to combine PP and AE into some sort of super program already. AE ingests anything I throw at it and obviously has superior anim/motion graphic capabilities, but severely lacks any basic editing capabilities that PP has like, oh I don't know, loving real time playback?

I get it ... two different programs for relatively different purposes, but they're used hand in hand so much why not combine them?

And seriously why can't I get any loving realtime play back in AE? gently caress.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Does anyone have any recommendations for books on color correction? I'm not a beginner but I'd like to improve. I currently have this one http://www.amazon.com/Color-Correct...olor+correction on order. Any others?

Also, how do you guys working in FCP7 mix audio? Do you just do it in FCP or is there a good program for roundtripping? I've been fine in FCP but I'd like to expand.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

chumpchous posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for books on color correction? I'm not a beginner but I'd like to improve. I currently have this one http://www.amazon.com/Color-Correct...olor+correction on order. Any others?

Also, how do you guys working in FCP7 mix audio? Do you just do it in FCP or is there a good program for roundtripping? I've been fine in FCP but I'd like to expand.

When I was using FCP7, I used Logic 9 pretty exclusively for sound design. Not quite as good at roundtripping as my current setup of Premiere and Audition but still pretty good (although I would switch back to Logic at the drop of a hat if it were integrated as well as Audition (and also on PC)).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Pro Tools is the best.

I could never get into Logic because setting up instruments was just absolutely bewildering to me, whereas you can set up tracks with a couple clicks in Pro Tools. I know this isn't relevant to audio editing from a video context, but Pro Tools just felt more intuitive to me.

For FCP7 I think Soundtrack is actually a really viable option, and it roundtrips pretty easily.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Pro Tools is the best.

I could never get into Logic because setting up instruments was just absolutely bewildering to me, whereas you can set up tracks with a couple clicks in Pro Tools. I know this isn't relevant to audio editing from a video context, but Pro Tools just felt more intuitive to me.

For FCP7 I think Soundtrack is actually a really viable option, and it roundtrips pretty easily.

Ha this is me whenever I sit down at an Avid (I use Premiere primarily, but at work we use Avid). It's better in the newer versions, but until we upgraded it was mostly me sitting there going "drag it onto the track. Drag it onto drat track. Goddamnit just drag onto the track why the gently caress can't I just grab this clip and put it there Jesus Christ!"

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

chumpchous posted:

I rather like "The Art and Technique of Digital Color Correction" by Steve Hullfish. Even though it's a few years old, it really isn't outdated at all because it speaks more to the, well, art and technique rather than the program functions.

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.
Blah. Another month and I haven't even had an interview for a post-production internship / part-time job. On the plus side, as of today I'm finally employed part-time selling hot dogs so I'll no longer starve.

Is there any way to pizzazz my resume up in regards to entry-level post-production positions? What exactly should my reel / Vimeo be showing? There's only so many ways to say I can click a button quickly; I'm paranoid I'm doing something wrong. Regardless I'm moving forward -- I'm tired of being and working with unprofessionals and I'd be remiss to not realize rejection came with the business.

At school we only used final cut so I'm taking an Avid class at BRIC (look out Brooklyn Public TV here I come).

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

omgmofohomolol posted:

Blah. Another month and I haven't even had an interview for a post-production internship / part-time job. On the plus side, as of today I'm finally employed part-time selling hot dogs so I'll no longer starve.

Is there any way to pizzazz my resume up in regards to entry-level post-production positions? What exactly should my reel / Vimeo be showing? There's only so many ways to say I can click a button quickly; I'm paranoid I'm doing something wrong. Regardless I'm moving forward -- I'm tired of being and working with unprofessionals and I'd be remiss to not realize rejection came with the business.

At school we only used final cut so I'm taking an Avid class at BRIC (look out Brooklyn Public TV here I come).

What in post do you do? If it's visual or audio (vs admin), post a reel so we can critique. If you're stuck to the idea of a CV, post that too but change your name / company names / any titles, but keep it otherwise identical so we can check it out.

Gotta give us something to work with.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Got bounced through a position lately (it was on a trial basis and the turnover is huge - two fifths of the people I worked with were new or rehired). I guess I'm in the same boat but looking for a PA-->producer route. Will attach resume tomorrow.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByNQ1pLatRA2QmN4WmdIX3l5MjQ

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 2, 2012

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Yuns posted:

Try rendering it in uncompressed Quicktime out of AE. "Add to Render Queue" on the menu.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I've recently gotten myself a GoPro and have a bit of a project idea I'd like to use it for, but I'm not sure what software would be best suited for what I want to do. Not sure if this is the best thread for this but hopefully those more plugged into the whole editing scene might know what I'm looking for (if it even exists).

I ride a bike to work sometimes, and would like to make a video compilation of cool/beautiful/interesting things seen on many rides over a the course of a full year. Thing is, ride is about 30 mins, and on each ride, only see a few interesting things, and the rest is rather mundane.

This results in quite a lot of footage that is mostly boring, but peppered with interesting bits that I will never be able to remember/find again without some way to catalog and search for them.

What I would like to be able to do is find a piece of software that will enable me to make searchable tags tied to particular times in the videos. I would like to be able to come home, scrub through the footage to find things I remembered were cool, and tag them with keywords I can use to search for and find the appropriate clips (and times within them) to put into video projects at a later date.

As an example, at one point the route parallels train tracks, and sometimes a train syncs up really nicely. I'd like to be able to drop a tag ("train") on a clip at the appropriate time, then file it away. Later on I'd like to be able to search the whole archive of footage for "train", and get a list of all the clips containing it and the timecode of the scene so I can pull it into the editing software easily.

Hopefully there is a thing like this that exists... Thanks for your assistance!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You can do this with pretty much any NLE made in the last decade. Ones like iMovie or FCPX will have a more search-friendly UI, but any of them will let you tag subclips.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also Adobe Prelude, which I've only just started using to log and ingest clips, has a nice commenting/tagging/subclipping system that carries over seamlessly to Premiere when you get ready to edit.

Here's a screen shot of the short I'm editing...you can see where I made a comment (the green line on the clips in the timeline) in Prelude. This is from Premiere though. When I brought it in the clips automatically carried their comments with it which is nice. Because I'd look back and go "oh poo poo I totally forgot you can see the camera in the reflection in this shot!"

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

Also Adobe Prelude, which I've only just started using to log and ingest clips, has a nice commenting/tagging/subclipping system that carries over seamlessly to Premiere when you get ready to edit.

Here's a screen shot of the short I'm editing...you can see where I made a comment (the green line on the clips in the timeline) in Prelude. This is from Premiere though. When I brought it in the clips automatically carried their comments with it which is nice. Because I'd look back and go "oh poo poo I totally forgot you can see the camera in the reflection in this shot!"

This one is perfect, thank you!

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
+1 for Adobe Prelude. I love that thing. It lets you pick out the best clips from long interviews so much faster than listening to them in Premiere. I was trying to convince a wedding editor that he wouldn't need to hire a rough cut editor if he had that software but he wouldn't listen.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

The Butcher posted:

Hopefully there is a thing like this that exists... Thanks for your assistance!

Recently a plugin (probably for both premiere pro and fcp) was released that allowed you to "mark" important takes while filming by covering the lens with your hand for a few seconds. I guess when you ingest the footage into your NLE, the plugin finds those spots where you covered the lens and marks them. So if you biked along and saw a double rainbow, you could get all the footage you wanted, then cover your lens for a few seconds and continue on your way.

Of course I can't remember what it's called, but I frequent the NoFilmSchool and FilmmakerIQ blogs, so probably on those sites.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BeavisNuke posted:

+1 for Adobe Prelude. I love that thing. It lets you pick out the best clips from long interviews so much faster than listening to them in Premiere. I was trying to convince a wedding editor that he wouldn't need to hire a rough cut editor if he had that software but he wouldn't listen.

And Hover Scrub is absolutely amazing. Just move the mouse left to right over clips in your bin and their thumbnails scrub through the clips. So so useful for long shots.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

And Hover Scrub is absolutely amazing. Just move the mouse left to right over clips in your bin and their thumbnails scrub through the clips. So so useful for long shots.

In all honesty they should've integrated the Prelude functions into Premiere. FCPX's preview and metadata tagging are similar to Prelude but are built into the interface.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I'm redoing closed captions in word and quicktime. Now, quicktime displays the non dropped frame number, but it's in a non copy/pastable box. How do I quickly c&p the time files so I can have my inpoints and outpoints?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Someone really needs to set me straight on the Final Cut workflow. Here's my situation:

My background is in Avid systems, but I've been assigned to use our one Final Cut suite at work for my current project. The main cut is mostly done, and I'm now starting on titles, graphics and finishing stuff. I still prefer Media Composer, but at this point I'm fine with the basics in Final Cut. The problem is that any kind of effects or compositing work is completely miserable when you have to render after every little change. Here are the technical details: 1080i footage in ProRes 422, dual-processor, quad-core MacPro of relatively recent vintage. I have worked in comparable setups with Media Composer and have never had any issues playing back the vast majority of my project in real time, even with color correction, effects and compositing. Even Unlimited RT with dynamic playback on everything chugs with anything but the simplest of effects in Final Cut.

As a test, I thought I'd fire up my rarely-used copy of FCP on my own machine, a 2011 MBP, and see how it fared against regular old SD footage. It's even worse. Transitions need to render, in OfflineRT. Guys, come on - this is by no means the most powerful machine in the world, but you're telling I can't play back ultra low-res SD in real time without rendering blurs and dissolves? I don't believe that.

Everyone at work I've bitched to about this says, "Yeah, welcome to Final Cut." Please tell me there's a better answer than that.

Edit: I guess it probably goes without saying, but yes, this is an FCP7 system.

Cyne fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 2, 2012

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Yep. Welcome to FCP7.

Although one thing I would check is that your sequence settings match your footage settings. FCP is different from MC in that stuff isn't conformed on input to a native codec so if you set your sequence compressor to H.264 or something retarded, you'll have to render even the most basic poo poo. Prorez 422 is native to FCP though, so you shouldn't be having to render THAT much.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Yep. Welcome to FCP7.

Although one thing I would check is that your sequence settings match your footage settings. FCP is different from MC in that stuff isn't conformed on input to a native codec so if you set your sequence compressor to H.264 or something retarded, you'll have to render even the most basic poo poo. Prorez 422 is native to FCP though, so you shouldn't be having to render THAT much.

Yeah, that threw me a bit when I first starting using FCP. I really like the Avid workflow of transcoding and just sticking everything you import into its own special folder where the program can always locate it. It's a lot less crap I need to micromanage before I can start working.

I'm pretty sure the sequences are all matched up but I'll give it a check when I get back in - thanks.

Edit: I've been monkeying with some things at home and have gotten FCP to run pretty smoothly with ProRes 422 sources in SD and I can do okay with 1080p in Proxy too if I turn on Unlimited RT. Given that I have to assume some settings just got messed on my work machine. Encouraging!

Cyne fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 3, 2012

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
You guys might hate this question.

But I've always been curious as to how people get the typing effect. Where you hear some keystrokes, and the letters go across the screen.

Also, how did they do the Cow/Spoon text in this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ywBQHRuiRk&t=78s

It can't be a million titles right?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Ziploc posted:

But I've always been curious as to how people get the typing effect. Where you hear some keystrokes, and the letters go across the screen.

Nowadays that kind of stuff is all done with plugins.

Text Anarchy is a popular one. If you're in need of sound effects for the keystrokes, you should be able to find some free material pretty easily with a bit of Googling.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ziploc posted:

Also, how did they do the Cow/Spoon text in this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ywBQHRuiRk&t=78s

It can't be a million titles right?

What program are you using? After Effects, for example, has a ton of different text animation presets that come with it by default. Type in by character, word, whatever. You essentially add the preset to the type layer then adjust the Animation Range field to time it out like you want it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

After Effects and Motion both have typewriter generators that let you do this.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

I knew AE had to come with something in the stock package that did that, it just slipped my mind to check the animation presets because I hardly ever use them.

Yeah, Text Anarchy is probably overkill just for that single effect, but if you are using After Effects, keep Red Giant in mind - they make some of the best plugins out there.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Thanks!

Forget Forgive
Aug 13, 2007

I'm looking for a quick solution to videos I'm making for a friend's play. Namely, the DVD burning process.

These videos are going to be burned to DVD(s) and played through either an onstage or offstage DVD player into a Television on stage. Either the actors or the technicians will be operating this during the play while action is ongoing on stage.

My school's editing suite only has iDVD, which requires you have a gaudy theme pop up before or after your videos play. This cannot happen, since the play is set before that program existed and would clash with the aesthetic. However, they will allow me to download and install a free program if necessary.

What I'd really want to do is have the first video autoplay when the DVD is loaded into the player. Then it would pause when that video finishes, and not automatically go on to the next video on the disc. Thus instead of the actor pausing the video prematurely in order to avoid the next video popping up too early, the actor must press play to start each video.

Is this possible? Essentially the point is to disable the function that autoplays all the videos on a disc back to back and instead require the play button to be pressed for each video.

Failing that, I'll just burn 3 separate DVDs. The problem remains, though, of how to disable iDVD's theme entirely and just have a DVD of nothing but the 3 videos.

I'm using Final Cut Pro X. Perhaps I could string the videos together and put some buffer black space between them so that the techs/actors can hit pause as soon as they see pure black. Then FCPX's own DVD burning program would allow the option to autoplay instead of going to the menu.

Any advice on workarounds would be appreciated!

Thanks.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

iDVD has a feature where you can burn a movie without any menus. It's called OneStep DVD.

edit: oh wait I reread what you need. Basically you want a Powerpoint where each slide is a new video and requires user interaction to advance to the next slide/video. I'm pretty sure Keynote can do this, but Powerpoint for sure can do this.

If it has to be a DVD, I'm pretty sure it's possible to program a DVD with no visible menus and very few functions (stop, play next) in DVD Studio Pro. But it's been a while since I made something like that. You can always just create a buffer like you said and burn a OneStep DVD in iDVD.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 4, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: ^^^ Yeah, keynote or powerpoint are probably better options. ^^^

Pretty sure you can make an iDVD without the theme by just dropping your videos before the the menu on the flow chart. It's been ages since I used iDVD so things may have changed there. I think the simplest thing would be to just have them pause the video on a few seconds of black between clips. Unless having the actors drive the thing is part of the script, I'd just have one of the technical theatre people drive the remote.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Didn't know where else to put this, but here's a trailer I directed for an upcoming video game called "Minion Master," from BitFlip Games. This was a bit of a crazy edit since I shot & edited the live action footage then sent it to the gaming house where they finished it up and did the graphics, but I think it came out pretty nice. The game is pretty fun, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWtlTLZxZdo

Photonomics
May 28, 2010
I'm having some major post production problems and I need some help. Can someone PM me if they've experienced and know the answer to any of these questions?:

1. How can I get footage from my Canon XF300 into Final Cut Pro X without losing quality? I can import the footage into Premiere Pro and export it from there if needed, but what settings would be the best?

2. I have to mix footage from an XF300, 5D Mark II, and an mp4 video file into one project in Premiere Pro CS6, but it doesn't seem to handle it well (not rendering and crashing the program happens all the time). What workflow would I need to go through to make Premiere happy? Does FCPX have this issue?

3. I've had a ton of video files getting corrupted after importing them into Premiere and working on them, and some other files were corrupted from just sitting on my hard drive. When I talked to an adobe tech support guy, he eventually said that it was the account I was logged into (when you boot up your computer) that was causing the problem, so he had me make a new account to log into instead. Is that correct? And if I have footage that is corrupted, what (if anything) can I do to recover the footage? I've tried a couple video repair programs, but the video file crashed the programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You should be able to edit XF300 footage natively - FCPX will just rewrap the MXF files into a Quicktime wrapper. http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/blogs/2012/20120224_xf_plugin_fcp_x.shtml

Your other problems sound hardware related, since I've never had issues mixing media types in FCPX or PP CS6.