Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

raditts posted:

Well, at least Bing is good for getting free Microsoft points

Wait, really? If this is true, they might actually get me to use the drat thing. And no, my 360's Dashboard still has a Zune thing in the corner every time I glance over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe how it works is that they stopped making physical Zunes but are keeping the name for the music service.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Sad thing is the physical Zune wasn't all that bad. I liked the HD one until I dropped it and the screen shattered. The software was loving awful though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Wait, really? If this is true, they might actually get me to use the drat thing. And no, my 360's Dashboard still has a Zune thing in the corner every time I glance over it.

You've been missing out, homes.

http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards

It's not nearly as exploitable as it used to be, but if you click on 20 or 30 "Related Searches" links on Bing every day, you'll have enough points to buy a pack of 400 MS Points every month or so.

MindlessHavok posted:

Sad thing is the physical Zune wasn't all that bad. I liked the HD one until I dropped it and the screen shattered. The software was loving awful though.

I don't get what it is with Microsoft and user-friendliness. Like, there's always something, or several things, that are obvious things they could do to not make their mobile products a pain in the dick to use, but they don't do it, and then Apple swoops in to do it and is heralded as genius. They had like a good decade to make Windows Mobile not a piece of poo poo before iOS came along, and now the only thing they have in response to that is loving Windows Phone 7.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 25, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Windows Phone 8 looks really awesome though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

trunkwontopen posted:

Speaking of cars, I'm disturbed that they decided to scrap the puppet for a CGI animated version of Carfox. I liked the Carfox puppet. I would buy a Carfox puppet if I found one and throw a Carfox party.

I've got an inflatable one if you want it. The actual puppet though? I'd have to do some searching. Probably also an express written confirmation you won't film lurid Carfox/Pets.Com sexvids to publish on the internet.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Barudak posted:

I've got an inflatable one if you want it. The actual puppet though? I'd have to do some searching. Probably also an express written confirmation you won't film lurid Carfox/Pets.Com sexvids to publish on the internet.

Better make sure the contract also covers the term "carfux," in that case.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TontoCorazon posted:

Jesus Christ! Those new iphone ads are so loving bad. They say nothing about the phone but they show off the headphones you get with the phone and another one shows how your thumb can reach the loving screen. Nothing about the phone or its new "features" just grasping at straws.

As soon as I saw the thumb one, I picked up my Droid X2 and discovered that it has more screen than range of motion in my thumb.

And I don't have little baby paws. I have giant gorilla hands. I was in that 3% of the population that found the original xbox controller to be comfortable.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Yeah even with the new real estate the iPhone 5 has a smaller screen than pretty much all it's major competitors, at least according to the BBC article I was reading.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I love Apple promoting new (to them) technology like they invented it, while it's been around for years. "Can your phone browse the web during calls?" "Can your phone play music?" "Do you have comfortable earbuds?"

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
Just saw this Citicard commercial yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQqjAgQpL8w

Basically the guy is told by a date that he's boring, so he uses his Citi credit card to do "interesting" stuff, which includes going to some art museum alone and meeting Alicia Keys backstage in a really awkward way. Sorry, my friend, you're still a boring a white man.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I keep seeing commercials for rhapsody of all things, kind of like this one, except with the smug douche on the left going on about "Sugarland, Nirvana and Lil Wayne"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7N66cxws34

I'm shocked that with spotify around, that rhapsody is even in existence.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I want to know whose brilliant idea it was to show a clip from Frankenweenie where the kid is resurrecting his cobbled-together dog, and juxtapose that with a kid choosing the meat for his sandwich from Subway. Because that's honestly loving hilarious, but probably not in the way they intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkJRSAvOaTI

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Life Alert commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5cpFXf1IEg

The woman at 25 seconds just seems so bitter. I can just see her adding onto it "Life Alert was there for me. Unlike my bastard son who never calls"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
From the sounds of it, that kid isn't even making a sandwich with lunchmeat in it.

He's making a submarine sandwich that consists of "mustard, cucumbers and jalapenos", and nothing else.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gonz posted:

From the sounds of it, that kid isn't even making a sandwich with lunchmeat in it.

He's making a submarine sandwich that consists of "mustard, cucumbers and jalapenos", and nothing else.

Well clearly he's already got necrotic dog meat for his sandwich. But if he didn't, he could get the next best thing by going to Subway.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

raditts posted:

Well clearly he's already got necrotic dog meat for his sandwich. But if he didn't, he could get the next best thing by going to Subway.

I wonder if they'll give him any rotten dog flesh with the 5 lbs of lettuce they put on their sandwiches?

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The Life Alert commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5cpFXf1IEg

The woman at 25 seconds just seems so bitter. I can just see her adding onto it "Life Alert was there for me. Unlike my bastard son who never calls"

That commercial has been airing since like 1988. If it makes you feel any better, all those people are dead now. It just makes me depressed when I see it.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

raditts posted:

I don't get what it is with Microsoft and user-friendliness. Like, there's always something, or several things, that are obvious things they could do to not make their mobile products a pain in the dick to use, but they don't do it, and then Apple swoops in to do it and is heralded as genius. They had like a good decade to make Windows Mobile not a piece of poo poo before iOS came along, and now the only thing they have in response to that is loving Windows Phone 7.

That's kind of been Apple's deal for a while now, they may be more expensive and not have as amazing pure stats but they really drive home making innovations in user-friendliness that are subsequently ripped-off by everyone else.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It looks like our theme for this year's Major League Baseball Postseason commercials is Bruce Springsteen. That's already better than last year's "Written In the Stars" theme and 2007's "Dane Cook being a stupid idiot" theme.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Y-Hat posted:

It looks like our theme for this year's Major League Baseball Postseason commercials is Bruce Springsteen. That's already better than last year's "Written In the Stars" theme and 2007's "Dane Cook being a stupid idiot" theme.

As a Rangers fan, Written in the Stars sends me into convulsions.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

the_Vandal posted:

That commercial has been airing since like 1988. If it makes you feel any better, all those people are dead now. It just makes me depressed when I see it.

:stare: :smith:

That does make me depressed too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm marginally impressed that the iPhone can make panoramic pictures. I'll give it that much. I'm getting really goddamn tired of the new Kia commercial, though; I preferred the old one with the dancing robots.

It is neat functionality, I've been using it for almost a year already on Android.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Farbtoner posted:

That's kind of been Apple's deal for a while now, they may be more expensive and not have as amazing pure stats but they really drive home making innovations in user-friendliness that are subsequently ripped-off by everyone else.

Well no poo poo, my point is that those innovations aren't particularly brilliant but somehow nobody at Microsoft can figure this poo poo out. I remember fiddling with my Dell Axim in 2004, and while I loved that thing, there were so many things about it that pissed me off that I thought to myself "It's only a matter of time before Apple comes out with a PDA that will do obvious poo poo like let you decently control it without a stylus and not clear its memory when the battery runs out" and, well, you know the rest. If some dumbass like me can figure that poo poo out, someone who gets paid way more than me to design these things should be able to. I'm just thankful Google came along to provide a third option.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Has VW ever made a bad commercial? Even (especially?) their print ads are amazing.

However this last one with the bulldog that swallowed the keys and can somehow roll up windows and lock the car through his stomach has me kind of confused.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Well no poo poo, my point is that those innovations aren't particularly brilliant but somehow nobody at Microsoft can figure this poo poo out.

I think it's a question of priority. MS seems to put other things ahead of user friendliness, they'd rather do a bunch of different things at once than make them easy to do.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Already tired of KFC's new "Little" series of ads for their little Chicken Little sandwich.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Motherfucking DirecTV, i've had your service since 2006 and I have no problem with it. You guys give me free poo poo all the time and your support staff has been helpful each time i've called them.

So please, I beg of you, is there some sort of chip I can install in my DVR so I don't have to see that "I just saved you 500 dollars, looks like you owe ME!" commercial?

I HAVE THE GODDAMN SERVICE. YOU DON'T NEED TO TELL ME TO BUY IT. IT'D BE LIKE PEPSI SHOWING ME A PEPSI AD EVERY 5 MINUTES WHILE I'M TAKING A TOUR OF THE PEPSI FACTORY.

STOP IT.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Rirse posted:

Already tired of KFC's new "Little" series of ads for their little Chicken Little sandwich.

It's not even a new product, it's just a re-branded KFC Snacker sandwich.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rirse posted:

They certainly think its the funniest thing ever and are trying to run it into the loving ground.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Can we bitch about internet ads?

I hate all of those [A POWERFUL ENTITY] Hates this [MAN/WOMAN/THING].

You know the ones: Language Professors hate this man! Supposedly the ad will tell you how to learn a foreign language in 10 days. I'm pretty sure a language professor wouldn't give a flaming rat's rear end one way or another.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

It is neat functionality, I've been using it for almost a year already on Android.

It's also been patched into the 4S anyways. The iPhone 5's only differences are 4G and LTE.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

It's also been patched into the 4S anyways. The iPhone 5's only differences are 4G and LTE.

But it's thin too! Don't you want to spend another few hundred dollars for the feature of A Few Millimeters Thinner?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mokinokaro posted:

Much faster processor too, pretty much the fastest mobile SoC on the market right now (unless there's some weirdo sperg superpowered ARM chip that outperforms the latest iPad, which the iPhone 5 outperforms).

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Jesus loving christ I am getting tired of these Sprint 'unlimited data plan' commercials. I'm not sure whether it's just from the sheer number of times I've had to sit through them while trying to watch Food Network or because it keeps reminding me of how hosed up my own family is :argh: Either way, go away!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

You know the ones: Language Professors hate this man! Supposedly the ad will tell you how to learn a foreign language in 10 days. I'm pretty sure a language professor wouldn't give a flaming rat's rear end one way or another.

I also dislike the claim that it was invented by a housewife or stay-at-home mom. Without getting into gender politics (although I will say its never a "househusband" or "stay-at-home dad", who can be as clueless), how much schooling, experience and research does it take to be in those professions? Because it sounds like anyone can be a "stay-at-home" anythign. Also, hasn't anyone heard of "old wives' tales" which tend to be erroneous fiction?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the_Vandal posted:

C. Everett Koop's not dead. He basically invented half of the pediatric surgery procedures they use today, too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

C. Everett Koop's not dead. He basically invented half of the pediatric surgery procedures they use today, too.

That's Why He Wears One TooTM.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's all about the moms. I don't know why moms are such experts at teeth whitening and such. I don't think there's an entrance exam or vetting process for being a mom, so why do they assume I care?*

*Even if the ridiculous ads had any truth to them, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Christmas Jones posted:

It's all about the moms. I don't know why moms are such experts at teeth whitening and such. I don't think there's an entrance exam or vetting process for being a mom, so why do they assume I care?*

*Even if the ridiculous ads had any truth to them, I mean.

Never underestimate the general public's disdain for "experts."

Why do you think the whole anti-vaccination thing took off so fast even though the only person really pushing them was that one lady who's name I'm blanking on and the doctor she paid off.