Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SubponticatePoster posted:

If there's any cosmic justice, they'll keep getting desynched while someone rocket glitches the whole match.

Or get killed when a Rocket Trooper double-shots them from around a corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Maybe I'll invite one of them, play as a Vanguard without hosting, get desynced and be really obnoxious about how that's impossible because it was patched out months ago.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
New glitch tonight; for some reason the cooldown semicircles appeared when I entered the lobby.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's amazing how many points you wrack up as a vorcha sentinel, even without really noticing it. I don't feel like I'm doing any better but my score is a lot higher.

I'm also glad I'm not the only dork who put their forum ID number instead of their username into that "who's playing" list in the OP. Whoops.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just played a gold match for the first time, and holy drat it took a lot of bullets to put anything down. I guess that problem is solved by really high level weapon mods and stuff?

edit: what is better for my turian soldier, the phaeston rifle I have been using so far, or the falcon I just got?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 29, 2012

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just played a gold match for the first time, and holy drat it took a lot of bullets to put anything down. I guess that problem is solved by really high level weapon mods and stuff?

Personally I find that it's more about well chosen powers and lining up combos with others. Maybe it's because I rely on power heavy classes because I rarely get the super cool high level weapons in packs, but you can survive with something like a Justicar using an Avenger.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: what is better for my turian soldier, the phaeston rifle I have been using so far, or the falcon I just got?

Can you post your manifest? We can give suggestions based on that, but jesus, a Phaeston or a Falcon for gold is... not exactly ideal.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Two Finger posted:

Can you post your manifest? We can give suggestions based on that, but jesus, a Phaeston or a Falcon for gold is... not exactly ideal.

Both of those guns are perfectly fine for gold depending on the class or setup but not if he's only just got level 1. Sanders, if you have low level weapons and want to play gold, I would recommend you start off with power-heavy classes using light weapons until you can level up your stuff. Playing gold will earn you cash quick enough, though the gold pool is so diluted now I feel bad for people just now trying to get good weapons.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think farming on Gold is a good way to learn at least what your general level of survivability is with a class, even though it doesn't accurately reflect on your ability to kill things in a non-farm context.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Both of those guns are perfectly fine for gold depending on the class or setup but not if he's only just got level 1. Sanders, if you have low level weapons and want to play gold, I would recommend you start off with power-heavy classes using light weapons until you can level up your stuff. Playing gold will earn you cash quick enough, though the gold pool is so diluted now I feel bad for people just now trying to get good weapons.
Well, the phaeston is level 4, that's my best gun right now I think (everything else that is in the second from the top of that tier list is level 1, I don't have anything in the top), but I thought damage didn't go up so much with level? I don't know what does though.

Anyway I was using a turian soldier and spamming marksman as much as I could, but drat I was emptying that rifle fast with relatively few dead enemies to show for it.

edit: I can't show that manifest or whatever since apparently my ps3 account is no longer connected to the EA website, even though I'm pretty sure it was before.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 29, 2012

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Just reconnect it? (=

If you want to play with someone of your skill level hit me up sometime (rick9109). Don't let my 485 N7 level fool you, I'm still really bad at this game.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I find that virtually any weapon is viable on gold with the right set-up. Lately I've been playing gold as a Batarian soldier with a vindicator as my main weapon and I do alright. Not well enough to carry a lovely team but well enough to pull my weight with a decent one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rick posted:

Just reconnect it? (=

If you want to play with someone of your skill level hit me up sometime (rick9109). Don't let my 485 N7 level fool you, I'm still really bad at this game.
I didn't see any option to do that, it says that I have no PS3 associated with my account at all, and on the PS3's side it doesn't say poo poo in ME3's menus or anything.

The last time I think I did anything with it is when I played DA:O though, so who knows what happened between now and then.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Sending you an invite, Samurai. Can set up a private match and see what you've got.

VVV :gonk:

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, I fixed it...but I have no idea why. My manifest is here. I don't have time to play right now though, need to fix my toilet.

edit: Is that a reaction to the manifest, or fixing my toilet? I just need a new flapper...I think, all in the tank anyway, nothing to do with the bowl. It's an old loving toilet.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 29, 2012

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, I fixed it...but I have no idea why. My manifest is here. I don't have time to play right now though, need to fix my toilet.

edit:

Is that a reaction to the manifest, or fixing my toilet? I just need a new flapper...I think, all in the tank anyway, nothing to do with the bowl. It's an old loving toilet.

With what you have, the Geth Plasma Shotgun with the shredder mod (don't use the choke w/ the GPS), w/ the Salarian Engineer or either Turian would probably be your best bet on Gold if you wanted to play a gun-centric character. If you wanted to play power-based, use your human sentinel and hit enemies with a warp and then a throw for biotic explosions, and only equip the Predator.

I'd grab the GPS and farm Firebase White / Geth / Gold and keep buying Premium Spectre packs until you get better guns. If you set up where the other players do (in the control room downstairs) you can periodically put up the decoy and use Energy Drain to keep your shields reloaded.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

the Geth Plasma Shotgun with the shredder mod
Shredder mod does nothing on the GPS. It already ignores armor none of the projectile weapons can actually penetrate map geometry.

E: Looking at your manifest, you should probably try a bit of W/G/G farming to get better unlocks. Concentrate on power-focused builds: SalEng, HSent and HEng (in that order) are all quite safe bets that can easily contribute in a useful way to farming. Note that how high your score is at the end of a round =/= your usefulness. Especially Decoy can make a big difference if you have hotshot teammates that feel hunkering down behind the console is beneath them. What weapon you pick is pretty much an afterthought - your only concern regarding that should be getting low enough cooldowns.

For weapon based builds the GPS is IMO by far your best shot at the moment. Put it on one of the Turians, or the HSoldier, and it should be usable enough. Though generally speaking on Gold you need to use consumables if you want to make effective use of a weapon (with a few exceptions); particularly ARs like the Phaeston (high-rof, low-medium damage) really need them to be workable. And in my personal opinion, weapon based builds are more difficult to pull off on consoles in general anyway, as you simply don't have the speed and accuracy which can make a big difference in the effectiveness of certain builds/weapons. So if you're still getting to grips with Gold, stick to Power builds (and cover) until you get a feel for what you can and can't do.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 29, 2012

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
There's no reason to ever have any mod combo except ammo and barrel on the GPS

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Elotana posted:

There's no reason to ever have any mod combo except ammo and barrel on the GPS
Bayonet?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

It could be argued that if you're picking the GPS you're not really looking to be in melee range that often, or at least a different gun would be better for it. But at the very least you've got to make an exception for a cosplaying melee gethinf.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I went to that gold match to farm and it wasn't very much fun, I'm just going to keep playing as usual (mostly on silver), I will take your advice for weapons I already have though.

Another question is though, why do I sometimes see people with an N-7 rank in the seven thousands and stuff on silver matches? What are they getting out of doing silver matches that wouldn't be better served by gold or platinum?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Because N7 rank is essentially meaningless and only reflects how many levels you've earned between all your characters since you started playing. Those guys probably aren't good enough to continuously play gold without a gimmick or are taking a relaxing stroll through silver for fun.

Silver is a good enough difficulty to play on to get used to the game. Take your baby steps in bronze to learn what you're doing, and silver to get a feel for dealing with crowds/the boss critters/how your weapons and powers need to be used together. Gold ramps up those things significantly but with enough experience it shouldn't be so bad. I also recommend going with a human engineer or sentinel as your first class to level up since they don't need weaponry at all to be great. I used the sentinel first and took all the biotic explosion upgrades in warp/throw so adding huge chunks of damage to the team's overall output was pretty easy.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Another question is though, why do I sometimes see people with an N-7 rank in the seven thousands and stuff on silver matches? What are they getting out of doing silver matches that wouldn't be better served by gold or platinum?

Fun? Not everyone enjoys the same level of challenge, and even if they did, not everyone has the same level of skills, so the level of personal challenge won't always equal difficulty either. Personally I play all four difficulties at different times for different reasons. My N7 may "only" be at 600, but that's just because I haven't bothered promoting all the time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Because N7 rank is essentially meaningless and only reflects how many levels you've earned between all your characters since you started playing. Silver is a good enough difficulty to play on to get used to the game. Take your baby steps in bronze to learn what you're doing, and silver to get a feel for dealing with crowds/the boss critters/how your weapons and powers need to be used together. Gold ramps up those things significantly but with enough experience it shouldn't be so bad. I also recommend going with a human engineer or sentinel as your first class to level up since they don't need weaponry at all to be great. I used the sentinel first and took all the biotic explosion upgrades in warp/throw so adding huge chunks of damage to the team's overall output was pretty easy.
But I mean, your N7 rank is at least an indirect measure of how good your gear is too, right? I see people running around in silver games with the widow and the particle rifle and the harrier and stuff, and wondering why they are basically slumming it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Samurai Sanders posted:

But I mean, your N7 rank is at least an indirect measure of how good your gear is too, right? I see people running around in silver games with the widow and the particle rifle and the harrier and stuff, and wondering why they are basically slumming it.

Nope. I've seen people with 1000+ N7 rankings but with poo poo gear and 120s with maxed ultra rares. N7 rating literally means nothing, except 120 signifying that you've likely levelled each class to 20.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Samurai Sanders posted:

But I mean, your N7 rank is at least an indirect measure of how good your gear is too, right?
Not really, past a certain point. If you're satisfied with how you built your characters, the only reason you'd promote and increase your rank beyond 120 is because of a "promote your characters" operational mission. You could have all your ultra-rares at X and still only be at 120.

quote:

I see people running around in silver games with the widow and the particle rifle and the harrier and stuff, and wondering why they are basically slumming it.
Why wouldn't you use your favorite guns even if you're playing for fun instead of a challenge? Also the widow and particle rifle aren't really that good anyway.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Felinoid posted:

It could be argued that if you're picking the GPS you're not really looking to be in melee range that often, or at least a different gun would be better for it. But at the very least you've got to make an exception for a cosplaying melee gethinf.

I've used it on my melee Krogan Sentinel. It's pretty good since you can charge it while running up to a group blast the meanest looking one and headbutt the rest. Also it's good for hacks and stuff when you do need the long range.

Samurai Sanders posted:

N7 rating is a measure of how often you've promoted. People who promote tend to play at low levels a lot and they're not necessarily comfortably playing gold at low levels.

You're Phaeston is sucking rear end on gold because you don't have the AR piercing mod unlocked so you're losing 50 dmg of each shot to armor.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Another reason is that some people enjoy the game, play often and promote to respec their characters and have high-level rares or ultra rares, but they may just not be very good at the game. That's fine, not everybody can or should be running platinum into the ground with ease. Those people just play and promote more often than others.

Edit:^^^ If memory serves and the weapon hasn't change too much with balance patches since last I checked, 50 damage from each shot on the phaeston would leave it at or near minimum damage a shot. 5 damage a hit, even with a full auto weapon, doesn't do anything noticeable against enemies with several thousand health/barrier.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 30, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I guess I fundamentally misunderstood how this game is balanced, I figured after long enough playing you'd have gear and weapons that would make the lower difficulty levels boringly easy, but I guess not.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It's really just a personal taste thing once your manifest gets more fleshed out. I like gold well enough and prefer it with a good group, but silver is fine with randoms because it's just enough challenge to keep me thinking without the instant-failure potential that gold has against disorganized players. The payout difference sucks though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Claymore/Harrier Vorcha Sentinel = Silver hilarity

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

I've used it on my melee Krogan Sentinel. It's pretty good since you can charge it while running up to a group blast the meanest looking one and headbutt the rest. Also it's good for hacks and stuff when you do need the long range.

Graal. The thing's accurate enough to mailslot a guardian from any range you can find in the game. Dunno if I'd call it better or worse, just that there's other options.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I guess I fundamentally misunderstood how this game is balanced, I figured after long enough playing you'd have gear and weapons that would make the lower difficulty levels boringly easy, but I guess not.

Again, that's a matter of perspective. Different skill levels and challenge preferences, etc. As well as special circumstances. One of my most fond memories of this game was when I talked my friends into playing a "demo" match. Only characters and guns found in the demo, on Ghost/Cerberus/Bronze. We spent the match absolutely destroying the enemy while aping the kinds of things we would have said back then. "Oh god, it's a single Phantom! Run for your life!" I don't think we stopped laughing the entire freaking time.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Felinoid posted:

Graal. The thing's accurate enough to mailslot a guardian from any range you can find in the game. Dunno if I'd call it better or worse, just that there's other options.

I never use the Graal because I don't usually host and I found it to be pretty awful when you get lag, or at least it was. Did they fix that? I really should just host a few games and give it a shot sometime.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

I never use the Graal because I don't usually host and I found it to be pretty awful when you get lag, or at least it was. Did they fix that? I really should just host a few games and give it a shot sometime.

Yeah, it can suck with unstable lag, since you have to stop going for headshots, and even stable lag you have to adjust every game for (so the first couple waves you won't do so well, but eh). But when you're hosting, or have a stunning ability on a quick cooldown, that thing is a loving beast.

Besides, the GPS doesn't make heads explode. :colbert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's really the purpose of farming - maximum payout in (supposedly) the minimum amount of time. This doesn't stop people from being terrible and wiping in round 3 on W/G/G or taking 40 minutes to get through a gold match, but that's the idea. Farming is dumb and boring, but when you don't have a lot of stuff unlocked it's a fairly safe way to rack up credits to buy shiny new things. I was on most of the day and had a terrible time finding any gold match that wasn't W/G/G so I hosted a few with unknown on enemy and map. People who aren't looking for the standard farm are usually at least passable at the game so you can get through a gold match in about 25 minutes and get something different.

And sometimes after you've had one too many synch enemas it's nice to go back to silver or bronze and 1-shot everything but bosses (and 3 shot those) with a maxed out weapon or loadout.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Is there any point to using a Graal when you have a Crusader?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

Is there any point to using a Graal when you have a Crusader?

Probably because it's lighter and does twice as much damage. Though I've never seen more than four actually rendered, the thing apparently spews twelve spikes per shot according to the guys who dug into the guns, and it's always done the kind of damage that would support that given the per-spike numbers from the balance changes. To say nothing of what it does to armor with its innate armor piercing. I may only have a Crusader IV, but the damage floor on that gun is almost 600, and it still does about half the damage per shot that the Graal does.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I think you're confusing the damage when the Graal is charged with the base damage. The Graal does 660 per shot, but charging will double that to 1320. Even stuff like the bonus ammo damage will double. An uncharged Graal shot won't kill a bronze cannibal, so it's certainly not doing 12x 110 damage.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Dilb posted:

I think you're confusing the damage when the Graal is charged with the base damage. The Graal does 660 per shot, but charging will double that to 1320. Even stuff like the bonus ammo damage will double. An uncharged Graal shot won't kill a bronze cannibal, so it's certainly not doing 12x 110 damage.

I'd played with the Graal a lot, and while I guess this is just speculation from observation, I think what you're seeing here is an odd charging behaviour. Other guns when you charge them do more damage, but I think what the Graal does is that it instead narrows the spread on the spikes. On the surface it appears the same because it's the same result most of the time: some of the spikes will miss (likely the ones it doesn't bother rendering because Bioware loves their lack of transparency) and it'll do less damage. But if you try it out on something big and beefy like a Brute or Atlas where you simply can't miss from close range, it looks like the first charged shot does about the same as the follow-up uncharged shots.

Of course, even if this is all wrong and you're right, the Graal would still be doing slightly more damage than the Crusader uncharged (unless you happen to have a Crusader VIII or something), and twice as much charged. The Crusader meanwhile cannot be charged, so it's stuck at 600-700 while the Graal averages out around 1K even if you assume half and half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The crusader has the advantage that it can quickly pop heads at range, since the graal needs to charge up in order to narrow the choke.

That's it. That's the only reason to take the crusader over the graal ever.

• Locked thread