Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

Martytoof posted:

I should add that I can't really vouch for Launchbar OVER Alfred or QS or anything like that. I'm only using Launchbar because that was recommended to me by a bunch of GTD people, has a wide support base, and was made by ObDev which make LittleSnitch which I already use, so I'm comfortable with their product quality. For all I know Alfred is twice as good as LB :)

I never even tried Launchbar so I'm in a similar boat. I do know that it's probably the most widely used app launcher within the Apple/Mac blogging community.

I mostly just chose Alfred instead as it was the first one I used (other than QS), the best looking and seemed to be more actively developed (at least consistently) than the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I'm currently staying at my sister's place and trying to connect to her WiFi. My iPhone connects without a hitch, but my Macbook keeps giving itself an invalid 169.254.x.x IP address. Refreshing DHCP doesn't help. How can I fix this?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You could find out the IP of the network (likely 192.168.1.x), and just assign yourself a valid number in that range. Just look at your iPhone and add or subtract some digits from the last number.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Jolan posted:

I'm currently staying at my sister's place and trying to connect to her WiFi. My iPhone connects without a hitch, but my Macbook keeps giving itself an invalid 169.254.x.x IP address. Refreshing DHCP doesn't help. How can I fix this?

Try removing your airport from the list of network devices, hitting apply then readding it.

Supreme Lord Jeremy
Jul 12, 2006

"We have waited centuries for this moment. The rivers will flow with the blood of those who oppose us."

krooj posted:

Who makes decent Mac merge software, like Beyond Compare, for OS X? Right now I am using a trial of Araxis Merge, but I think the professional version is well over $200 to buy, whereas Beyond Compare is what, $50? Is there anything else of comparable functionality out there for OS X?

I use P4Merge. It's by Perforce, and it's free. It integrates pretty well with git as well.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me out. So I have an older Macbook running 10.5.8. I've had this thing since at least 2006ish. I updated my iPhone 4 to ios 6 and now I can't connect my phone to my itunes anymore. It's obvious that my computer is out of date, however I can't update anything from the software update menu. A quick google search says I need to call apple to buy a new osx cd. But I don't know what exactly to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You need at least 10.6 now, I'm afraid.
Which model of Mac do you have exactly (and how much RAM)? That will determine your best option for an OS X upgrade.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Did Flash Pro just get a retina update?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

INCOMING ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE

Mountain Lion is slower for older Macs, at least computationally.. Running BOINC / Einstein@home on the lowest supported platform on one mid 2007 iMac, yields a 15% lower average than all its brothers of the same exact vintage and configuration running Lion.

poo poo, an older white iMac running @ 2.33 GHz and 10.7.5 is FASTER than the 2.4 GHz aluminum iMac. Computationally..

And it has less RAM..

Edit: the word 'faster' only appears 3X in Apple's ML feature page, and only for Safari and Chinese text input.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 28, 2012

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"
Can someone help me re-discover a trick I found long ago?

About 15 years ago, when I was in college, I discovered the Computer Engineering department's lab which had a bunch of SPARCstations running Solaris. It's where I first started learning about Unix/Linux and I loved it. One thing I particularly loved was a trick with the shell where I could repeat a command but replace some text in it wit carets. So I could do something like this:

code:
$ cp firstfile.txt folder/
$ ^firstfile.txt^secondfile.txt
That second command would repeat the first, but instead of copying firstfile.txt to folder/, it would copy secondfile.txt.

For years, I've wanted to get this functionality back in Terminal.app, but it doesn't seem to be a feature of Bash. Anyone know how I do this?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
That's a ksh-ism, and you can get it by using zsh, which I think is on Mountain Lion (not 100% sure since I install Unix and developer tools before I even use a Mac).

code:
[4.3.11]djk29a@DK-R:~> echo $0
-zsh
[4.3.11]djk29a@DK-R:~> touch blah blah.txt
[4.3.11]djk29a@DK-R:~> ^blah^blah2
touch blah2 blah.txt
Christ, I need to spend some quality nerd time on my zsh prompt. I've lost so much of my configurations over the years with hard drive failure after hard drive failure.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

HanabaL03 posted:

Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me out. So I have an older Macbook running 10.5.8. I've had this thing since at least 2006ish. I updated my iPhone 4 to ios 6 and now I can't connect my phone to my itunes anymore. It's obvious that my computer is out of date, however I can't update anything from the software update menu. A quick google search says I need to call apple to buy a new osx cd. But I don't know what exactly to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Call 1800MYAPPLE

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

stray posted:

Can someone help me re-discover a trick I found long ago?

About 15 years ago, when I was in college, I discovered the Computer Engineering department's lab which had a bunch of SPARCstations running Solaris. It's where I first started learning about Unix/Linux and I loved it. One thing I particularly loved was a trick with the shell where I could repeat a command but replace some text in it wit carets. So I could do something like this:

code:
That second command would repeat the first, but instead of copying firstfile.txt to folder/, it would copy secondfile.txt.

For years, I've wanted to get this functionality back in Terminal.app, but it doesn't seem to be a feature of Bash. Anyone know how I do this?
At least with the example you gave, cp can copy numerous files at one time.
code:
$ cp file1 file2 file3 ... fileX destFolder/

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure he's asking about command history argument substitution (one of the many things listed under http://www.rayninfo.co.uk/tips/zshtips.html #substitute previous command). It makes more sense if you're doing stuff in between like traversing around directories and need to copy to a destination directory. Question's probably better for the Linux thread given that's where you're more likely to find the graybeards and Unix archaeologists.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

stray posted:

code:

That's definitely a bash feature, possibly even sh. I use it all the time to fix typos. I was just able to do it in Terminal.app on Mountain Lion. Looks like my shell is /bin/bash (I just use the default) and
code:
user: ~$ /bin/bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.48(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin12)
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there some way to just clear your drop box entirely? I shoved something in there that has hundreds of thousands of tiny files and manually deleting it does nothing.

I guess I'm looking for like a big RESET button.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is there some way to just clear your drop box entirely? I shoved something in there that has hundreds of thousands of tiny files and manually deleting it does nothing.

I guess I'm looking for like a big RESET button.

Open Terminal
code:
cd /Users/appropriatemetaphor/Dropbox
rm -rf *
That will erase everything in your Dropbox folder

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

THC posted:

Does anyone know how to force Messages.app to display iMessages in the order they're sent? They have correct timestamps on them so clearly it knows what order they should be displayed in, but it shows them in the wrong order anyway and there doesn't appear to be a way to sort them AFAIK

It's a bug and it's been reported to Apple so I imagine they'll fix it pretty soon. Kind of stupid that this happened in the first place though.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My iPod Touch's album artwork is missing. Reading online, it is speculated that doing the upgrade to iOS 6 over Wi-Fi might've had something to do with it. I can do a backup and restore. I'm worried, however, that doing so will delete all of my game data (saves, achievements, whatever) permanently. Will that also be restored?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Backups retain app data.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Supreme Lord Jeremy posted:

I use P4Merge. It's by Perforce, and it's free. It integrates pretty well with git as well.

I ended up laying out for an Araxis license. It's actually really good software, just ugly as hell / not OS X themed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

wolffenstein posted:

Backups retain app data.

Pretty sure I lost my game saves when I restored from a backup. I was 12 hours into Chrono Trigger too :(

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Correction: most app data is backed up. Developers ultimately decide what is deemed backup worthy. FWIW I restored my iPhone 4's encrypted iTunes backup to my iPhone 5, so I wouldn't have to retype passwords. Unencrypted iTunes backups and iCloud backups don't backup the keychain for security reasons.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 28, 2012

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Developers should really use iCloud save syncing.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
They want to, but it's not quite up to snuff yet. That's why most apps either roll their own or use Dropbox. At least with iOS 5. I don't yet know what iCloud-related improvements are in place for developers in iOS 6.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Open Terminal
code:

cd /Users/appropriatemetaphor/Dropbox
rm -rf *
That will erase everything in your Dropbox folder

Ah awesome thanks. I really need to learn more terminal stuff.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
A folder with 8MB worth of *visible* files on Mountain Lion takes up 162MB of space. I assume .DS_Store or some .git files are responsible, but how do I find out, and what do I do to fix this presently and in the future?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
code:
$ ls -la problemFolder/

ufarn
May 30, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

code:
$ ls -la problemFolder/
Well, .DS_Store takes up 12292, so it looks like the culprit. Do I just delete it with something like "rm .DS_Store", and is there nothing I can do from it happening again?

Since this has happened undetected, I've probably uploaded hundreds of superfluous MBs of data over my mobile data plan through tethering.

anagramarye
Jan 2, 2008

Array Age Man

ufarn posted:

Well, .DS_Store takes up 12292, so it looks like the culprit. Do I just delete it with something like "rm .DS_Store", and is there nothing I can do from it happening again?

Since this has happened undetected, I've probably uploaded hundreds of superfluous MBs of data over my mobile data plan through tethering.

Replace it with an empty text file and set said file to read-only.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

ufarn posted:

I very much doubt it's .DS_Store. Seriously read up on how to do basic terminal commands because it isn't hard.

You might want to use 'ls -laSh'. The 'S' sorts by file size and the 'h' displays the file size in a human readable format.

If there are subfolders, 'du -h' will list all files in the folder and subfolders with their file sizes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a small "tether mode" app that I can turn on when I'm tethering from my phone that disables all internet access except for programs I've whitelisted? For example I don't need Mail polling the IMAP server in the background wasting my precious data cap (and battery life) when I'm tethering. Also things like Skype, Messenger, background app update checks, etc. It's a bit annoying having to tab to everything and quit the apps manually, and then having to open them again when I'm not tethering.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This is pretty weird. The biggest file is my (now-)15K .DS_Store. And the folder is still at the ~150MB.

At least it sounds like this isn't something I should worry about outside this weird folder.

EDIT: I have moved all but my git files to a new folder, and it only takes up 3MB. Weird.

Is there a way to display hidden files by default like on Windows? Using Cloak gets kinda annoying over time.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 29, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Open Terminal and run this:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

You could make or find an Automator script to do it

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

ufarn posted:

This is pretty weird. The biggest file is my (now-)15K .DS_Store. And the folder is still at the ~150MB.

At least it sounds like this isn't something I should worry about outside this weird folder.

EDIT: I have moved all but my git files to a new folder, and it only takes up 3MB. Weird.

Is there a way to display hidden files by default like on Windows? Using Cloak gets kinda annoying over time.
run git's garbage collector and maybe ask in cobol's vcs thread for help.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Cool. Turns out it was the .git folder. But it doesn't seem like it was uploaded after all - my wi-fi is just glacial.

Thanks, all.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a small "tether mode" app that I can turn on when I'm tethering from my phone that disables all internet access except for programs I've whitelisted? For example I don't need Mail polling the IMAP server in the background wasting my precious data cap (and battery life) when I'm tethering. Also things like Skype, Messenger, background app update checks, etc. It's a bit annoying having to tab to everything and quit the apps manually, and then having to open them again when I'm not tethering.

marco polo? At least it'll give you something to search with.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Two Questions:

I've got AirDisplay to use my iPad as a second display on my MacBook Air. When it connects the first time, it'll work normally as a second monitor. However, if for some reason it disconnected and reconnects, it turns the mirroring option on.

Is there a way to prevent mirroring as a default option?

2) I use an old Intel iMac with Snow Leopard for a file/fax/iTunes server. Last night, for no particular reason, it stopped showing all volumes when I connect after AFP.

Before it would show the hard drive, connected volumes and the home directory. Now it's just showing the home directory. What gives?

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

I just accidentally discovered the best OS X secret. In any open or save dialogue, pressing Cmd+R will open a Finder window at the current location. Now you can actually delete/rename/move things without needing to navigate to that folder manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

Gordon Cole posted:

I just accidentally discovered the best OS X secret. In any open or save dialogue, pressing Cmd+R will open a Finder window at the current location. Now you can actually delete/rename/move things without needing to navigate to that folder manually.

Nice one, this is one of my main gripes when switching between windows and OSX, this command will come in handy.