Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnL337
Jan 10, 2007
Thinking is for squares.
I'm fairly early into the game, just finished Leon's first chapter. Took me 2.5 hours on Veteran.

At first, I was really frustrated with how the game handled the tutorial stuff. It felt like it was holding my hand way too hard, and it pissed me off. After about an hour, though, it chilled out a bit and I was actually given the opportunity to get into the game, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Story-wise, the game has been Hollywooded up to kind of a ridiculous level, and I was frustrated at how Leon was acting like he'd never fought through an outbreak before, but once it got going it became a lot better.

The gameplay is excellent. I love the constant variation in enemies. The environments could stand to be a bit more interactive, though. My biggest complaint would probably be how bullet-spongey the main zombies are.

All in all, I'm very impressed, and can't wait to play more. I definitely enjoy this more than 5 thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Tremors posted:

You early copy people need to post your impressions. :argh:

Alright. I've finished Jake and Chris' campaigns, just started on Leon's. Playing on Normal (which was still actually kind of hard), those two campaigns clocked in at roughly 10 hours apiece.

Having played with the new controls for awhile now, I have to say I actually really like how the whole thing handles - once you get used to it, it's much, much more fluid and easy to control than RE5 was. All I couldn't get comfortable with were the fruity crosshairs (but there's an option to turn on a RE4/5 style aiming laser, which I much preferred.)

Jake's campaign:
A loving ridiculous, schlocky, B-movie action bonanza. Completely awesome. A short stealth section, but it was amazingly non-irritating to play. My favourite campaign, so far. Highlight: Jake actually saying the phrase "come get some".

Chris' campaign: What I was worried about, as the demo made it seem boring as poo poo. Luckily, Capcom's just terrible at demos. Quickly gets much more interesting once (not really a spoiler if you watched the trailer) Chris' team is all dead. Highlight: the fact that Chris has become a really, really angry man. It's pretty hilarious, especially if you consider that it was pretty much as long ago that his team all died as it was at the beginning of RE5 since Jill had 'died', which didn't seem to make him any less civil.

Second highlight: (boss spoiler) I hope you guys liked fighting Yawn way back when! He's invisible now.

Leon's campaign: Leon is the worst driver in the loving universe. His campaign's pretty enjoyable for the hour I've put into it so far, though!

Mercenaries:
Exactly the same as it always was, albeit with the addition of The Mercenaries 3D-ish skills to equip. Adds some flavour to the mode.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

UnL337 posted:

The gameplay is excellent. I love the constant variation in enemies. The environments could stand to be a bit more interactive, though. My biggest complaint would probably be how bullet-spongey the main zombies are.

Without breaking my embargo, I'm going to say this:

The name of the game in RE6 is hit the weak point. Everything in this game is bullet-spongey as all gently caress unless you hit it wherever it's weakest. With zombies, that means headshots; with J'avo, that means body shots, which have the lowest chance to provoke mutation. The loading screens often provide tips on weak spots (i.e. the fat bastards in Leon's game have bad knees).

In most of the game, a good solid hit on a boss anywhere except the weak spot is still going to inflict notable damage, but you'll get more damage and save ammo if you try to be as accurate as possible. There's one boss fight in particular where you can spend every goddamned bullet in the world on him and you won't get any real results unless you're attacking his weak spot.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Chris' campaign: It's pretty hilarious, especially if you consider that it was pretty much as long ago that his team all died as it was at the beginning of RE5 since Jill had 'died', which didn't seem to make him any less civil.

That wasn't "his team" in RE5. The first team was a separate group entirely, and the second was Josh's. He's also really cynical and dark about everything right up until he finds the intel about Jill, which turns him around.

Chris picked up a really paternal streak at some point between games and he takes it personally when guys under his command get whacked.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Wanderer posted:

That wasn't "his team" in RE5. The first team was a separate group entirely, and the second was Josh's. He's also really cynical and dark about everything right up until he finds the intel about Jill, which turns him around.

Chris picked up a really paternal streak at some point between games and he takes it personally when guys under his command get whacked.

Sorry, I worded it badly. I didn't mean 'his team in RE5', I meant just Jill's alleged death, as compared to his team in RE6.

He is pretty cynical after the Jill thing, but I just meant that it kind of feels like his reaction to Jill - his partner of the last decade - and his reaction to his team should have been.. reversed? I don't know. He goes full-on hulk-out bananas over his team, as opposed to his occasional bouts of cynicism when his ex-captain who betrayed him/archnemesis of the last several years goes over a cliff with his partner and best friend.

The man is an enigma. I won't argue the paternal streak, though, that's a good point.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Jake's campaign:
A loving ridiculous, schlocky, B-movie action bonanza. Completely awesome. A short stealth section, but it was amazingly non-irritating to play. My favourite campaign, so far. Highlight: Jake actually saying the phrase "come get some".

That sounds awesome. How :smug: does Troy Baker get with Jake?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I don't trust goon opinion on brand new, big title games and review "embargoes" scare the hell out of me. If that's not a tacit admission that a game/movie/whatever is going to suck and is heavily banking on early sales to ignorant consumers, I don't know what is. I'm definitely going to Redbox this bastard. I really enjoyed RE4 and RE5, but there's just too many red flags surrounding this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Almost Smart posted:

If that's not a tacit admission that a game/movie/whatever is going to suck and is heavily banking on early sales to ignorant consumers, I don't know what is.

This would make sense if review embargos were only on bad games but that's pretty much not the case. It's fine to be cautious but you shouldn't take a review embargo as any kind of evidence. Almost all reviews are embargoed as a matter of fact.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Sorry, I worded it badly. I didn't mean 'his team in RE5', I meant just Jill's alleged death, as compared to his team in RE6.

He is pretty cynical after the Jill thing, but I just meant that it kind of feels like his reaction to Jill - his partner of the last decade - and his reaction to his team should have been.. reversed? I don't know. He goes full-on hulk-out bananas over his team, as opposed to his occasional bouts of cynicism when his ex-captain who betrayed him/archnemesis of the last several years goes over a cliff with his partner and best friend.

The man is an enigma. I won't argue the paternal streak, though, that's a good point.

Since I haven't played the game yet I don't know what his reaction is, but couldn't it be the result of the compounded events of RE5/jill mixed in with some ptsd adding up to be too much for the guy?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Jill.

Any mention of her at all in the game?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Almost Smart posted:

I don't trust goon opinion on brand new, big title games and review "embargoes" scare the hell out of me. If that's not a tacit admission that a game/movie/whatever is going to suck and is heavily banking on early sales to ignorant consumers, I don't know what is. I'm definitely going to Redbox this bastard. I really enjoyed RE4 and RE5, but there's just too many red flags surrounding this game.

Almost every game has review embargoes, whether you're aware of it or not.

Basically, it's like this: any video game that ships on disc makes some ridiculous percentage of all the profit it's ever going to make in the first week. That first week's sales are everything and it only drops from there on out. Thus, most companies have embargoes, because they would prefer that the critical reaction, whatever it's going to be, be paired with the game's availability. I can't think of a single game I've ever reviewed in the last ten years that wasn't embargoed until the day before it shipped.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Alteisen posted:

Speaking of Jill.

Any mention of her at all in the game?

Not yet, which is pretty disappointing.

Tremors posted:

Since I haven't played the game yet I don't know what his reaction is, but couldn't it be the result of the compounded events of RE5/jill mixed in with some ptsd adding up to be too much for the guy?

Yeah, that's actually quite possible/likely.

PunkBoy posted:

That sounds awesome. How :smug: does Troy Baker get with Jake?

Extremely.

chopbustabrown
Sep 14, 2011

I AM THE HEAT MISER
Pretty happy with the game so far- just finished chapter 3 of Leon's campaign, playing as the Helena. So happy that I have a public holiday tomorrow and don't have to work aha. Enjoying the environment a lot more than RE5- something about zombies in a city just gets me.

Maybe it's because the drivers of vehicles are absolutely suicidal in this town. Seriously- that motorcyclist...

Haven't touched anything but Leon's campaign yet, and no one has joined my game, which is probably a good thing so they don't skip the cutscenes.

Disorientated
Sep 1, 2006
Just finished Leon's campaign. It's good schlocky fun, but whoever said each campaign of RE6 is longer than RE5 was wrong. Took me about 8-10 hours to do Leon's but I think that's a good length, I wouldn't have wanted it to go too much longer.

The crossover stuff with the other campaigns was neat, very interested to see how that plays out online and in the other campaigns.

I also think the changes they made to the melee system are great. In RE5 it was too easy to just wade into a bunch of enemies and hit 'x' without fear. In RE6 you need to manage your stamina bar and be careful when you hit the attack button, it's a lot easier to whiff an attack when they're not context sensitive.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Granted it's mainly a early copy question, because I've seen no real mention in elsewhere, what's the weapon system like? For example is it like RE5 where you get a equipment screen and you can pick from your gear in each chapter?

Or are you stuck with the same weapons ingame and your only development is the skillpoint spending?

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

limited posted:

Granted it's mainly a early copy question, because I've seen no real mention in elsewhere, what's the weapon system like? For example is it like RE5 where you get a equipment screen and you can pick from your gear in each chapter?

Or are you stuck with the same weapons ingame and your only development is the skillpoint spending?

You find weapons throughout the stages that then become permanent in your inventory, there is also no weapon upgrading unless it's a new game+ feature. The main focus is on skill points and equipping/upgrading those.

I miss upgrading my weapons like in 4 & 5.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tremors posted:

Well, Chris kinda spent the last 20 years of his life basically fighting off the apocalypse with no end in sight, so I can understand why he'd be a little upset about it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

WitchFetish posted:

Well, Chris kinda spent the last 20 years of his life basically fighting off the apocalypse with no end in sight, so I can understand why he'd be a little upset about it.

Seriously, it's amazing how at this point Chris, Jill, Claire and Leon aren't the 'roided up incarnations of PTSD.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I love the way you're reporting about 10 hours per campaign, because RE5 only had one and took about 6 hours. Should get my copy tomorrow, and I can't wait. If I end up getting it on tuesday, I have two days off to enjoy it, too!

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

So is there a difence between Archives and Anthology? I'm seeing conflicting info.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Glumwheels posted:

So is there a difence between Archives and Anthology? I'm seeing conflicting info.

Anthology is PS3 only and has vouchers for:

Resident Evil: Directors Cut
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil 4 HD
Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition

Archives is 360 only and has vouchers for:

Resident Evil Code Veronica X HD
Resident Evil 4 HD
Resident Evil - Degeneration (Movie)

The reason for this is mainly that the 360 doesn't have any of the classic games while PSN does.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Oh, I forgot the biggest highlight of Chris' campaign: He can play on the slide and ride on the spring horse at the playground. The spring horse animation is the most hilarious thing I have ever seen Chris do.

GOTY.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

charismaslover posted:

Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 4 HD

Resident Evil 4 HD

The reason for this is mainly that the 360 doesn't have any of the classic games while PSN does.

Got it, thanks.

That really blows, though, but makes my choice easier on not buying the limited edition for either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, I forgot the biggest highlight of Chris' campaign: He can play on the slide and ride on the spring horse at the playground. The spring horse animation is the most hilarious thing I have ever seen Chris do.

GOTY.

... Yeah, I'm thinking that "too serious" isn't really an issue for this one.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

ImpAtom posted:

... Yeah, I'm thinking that "too serious" isn't really an issue for this one.

God, no. Actually, here's my thoughts: If RE1/2 is Evil Dead, and RE4/5 is Evil Dead 2, RE6 is Army of Darkness, and that is absolutely a compliment.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

God, no. Actually, here's my thoughts: If RE1/2 is Evil Dead, and RE4/5 is Evil Dead 2, RE6 is Army of Darkness, and that is absolutely a compliment.
There are no combinations of words that could make me more excited for this game.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

charismaslover posted:

Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 4 HD

Resident Evil 4 HD

Is the RE5 on the PS3 version digital only? Kind of a bummer.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Revitalized posted:

Is the RE5 on the PS3 version digital only? Kind of a bummer.

Sure is, which is pretty poo poo if you have a slow connection.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

charismaslover posted:

Sure is, which is pretty poo poo if you have a slow connection.

Or limited space on the hard drive :(

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Revitalized posted:

Or limited space on the hard drive :(

poo poo, didn't even think of that.

For reference:

Resident Evil: Directors Cut - 321MB
Resident Evil 2 - 757MB
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - 366MB
Resident Evil 4 HD - 3.3GB
Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition - 7.36GB

So 12GB of hard drive space eaten up (although you'll need around 24GB free to unpack the files once downloaded).

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Can anyone confirm/deny that Leon shoots down a missile with his pistol? The way one of the trailers was edited makes it appear as if this happens, and I just don't want my hopes too high.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

timeandtide posted:

Can anyone confirm/deny that Leon shoots down a missile with his pistol? The way one of the trailers was edited makes it appear as if this happens, and I just don't want my hopes too high.

No. The trailer edits together two sequences that are relatively close together.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ughhhhhhhhh my copy of RE6 has been at the post office since Friday, "still being sorted downstairs."

Of course I'll now have zero time to play it until next weekend....

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

:stonk: I didn't think RE6 had any legitimate creep-out value, but (late, late-game) holy loving poo poo Ada's campaign just took a turn for the horrifying.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

:stonk: I didn't think RE6 had any legitimate creep-out value, but (late, late-game) holy loving poo poo Ada's campaign just took a turn for the horrifying.

I've had the game for three weeks, and every time I saw somebody pitch a fit about how the series "isn't horror anymore," I've thought of that level and had to force myself to keep my goddamn mouth shut.

Dr Eggman
Sep 9, 2012

Wanted to stop by and say the demo is injustice. The game is so much better.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I thought Revelations did a good job of having a few solid scares and had a creepy atmosphere on the ship, so for people who like that there's still hope that they do more 3DS games.

Namely, the captain in the locker who keeps shouting "Don't kill me, I'm a human!" but was a gigantic bloated mess with organic buzzsaws. That, combined with the radio static and help messages reminded me more of Silent Hill. Second was the whole Rachel bit--not really the first time, but "killing" her and then having her randomly pop up later as a seemingly invincible monster.

The flashback levels were horrible, though. Just a maze of office corridors and the exact same enemy type for every room.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 1, 2012

minus world
Sep 23, 2009

"good poster"
The controls feel so much better. Based on the demo though the visuals look really rough but the gameplay is everything RE5 should have been. Looks like there is a chance that this will turn out decent after all.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Related to the endings I heard that they're very brief and don't really give much closure, then you get a preview of upcoming DLC, can anyone confirm this?

I'm just really leery of Capcom after the bullshit they pulled with Asura's Wrath.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Azubah posted:

Related to the endings I heard that they're very brief and don't really give much closure, then you get a preview of upcoming DLC, can anyone confirm this?

I'm just really leery of Capcom after the bullshit they pulled with Asura's Wrath.

I didn't see any previews, no.

The endings are very brief initially, then show extra scenes after the credits are over. You can skip the credits and still get the extra ending.

Leon's gives a fair bit of closure. Chris's doesn't. Jake's does, but a good chunk of his is inexplicably shoved off to the end of Ada's game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Probably going to get lost in the midst of all this RE6 chatter (going to be a while until I play it, but I liked the demo), but any RE4 PC players here? I have the US version an I'd like to play the best possible version of his with mods and mouse look, but I can't find a good guide on how to get it working. Does anybody here know or have a link to a good guide?