Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad this thread is still getting updates years after it started.

I just finished the series earlier tonight, I have to say, for the most part I'm extremely satisfied with it, some of the subplots were lackluster, but overall it was an amazing show and I'm glad I finally watched it.

The end of the last episode made me want to bash my own head against a mirror. Goddamn it.

By the by, one thing that I noticed once and then could not unnotice was that in a huge number of the outdoor location shots, especially of the diner, there is always that same drat log truck that drives by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'm glad this thread is still getting updates years after it started.

I just finished the series earlier tonight, I have to say, for the most part I'm extremely satisfied with it, some of the subplots were lackluster, but overall it was an amazing show and I'm glad I finally watched it.

The end of the last episode made me want to bash my own head against a mirror. Goddamn it.

By the by, one thing that I noticed once and then could not unnotice was that in a huge number of the outdoor location shots, especially of the diner, there is always that same drat log truck that drives by.

It is a logging town. I really just wonder how and if they were going to undo the ending of season 2.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So I finished it last night and was a quite frustrated with its ending. What happened, was it canceled in the off season, or was that the way the creator wanted it to end? Bob being inside Cooper wasn't what really bothered me and I rather enjoyed that. But absolutely no resolution on like 20 other characters pissed me off to no end.

Aubery I guess randomly dying in the explosion (maybe)
James off on the road, and was completely forgotten in the last few episodes
Donna finds out about her dad, but who knows what she does afterward
Does Ghostwood go through?
What happens to Bens empire?
What do Ed and Norma do after Nadine comes to?
Is Leo still left alone drooling in Earls cabin?
Where the owls part of the black lodge or white lodge?
How do Lucey and Andy handle the kid, and if it even is Andys

That aside, still a pretty great show that kept me interested. Ending aside, the only thing that ever bother me while watching the show was the maybe 3 song soundtrack they used and soap opera sub plots.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Khorne Flakes posted:

So I finished it last night and was a quite frustrated with its ending. What happened, was it canceled in the off season, or was that the way the creator wanted it to end? Bob being inside Cooper wasn't what really bothered me and I rather enjoyed that. But absolutely no resolution on like 20 other characters pissed me off to no end.

Aubery I guess randomly dying in the explosion (maybe)
James off on the road, and was completely forgotten in the last few episodes
Donna finds out about her dad, but who knows what she does afterward
Does Ghostwood go through?
What happens to Bens empire?
What do Ed and Norma do after Nadine comes to?
Is Leo still left alone drooling in Earls cabin?
Where the owls part of the black lodge or white lodge?
How do Lucey and Andy handle the kid, and if it even is Andys

That aside, still a pretty great show that kept me interested. Ending aside, the only thing that ever bother me while watching the show was the maybe 3 song soundtrack they used and soap opera sub plots.

It was meant to be a season finale not series finale

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

bobkatt013 posted:

It was meant to be a season finale not series finale

This and
The owls were just vessels for Bob to inhabit while he wasn't in a human.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

escape artist posted:

This and
The owls were just vessels for Bob to inhabit while he wasn't in a human.

I have somehow missed this, over and over, through the years but it suddenly makes perfect sense. Thank you, kind goon!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I was always really annoyed by the Leo coma bit. He's in a coma without moving (and receiving pretty crappy care) then suddenly he wakes up and he's an unstoppable monster. He shouldn't have even been able to walk very well.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Does Fire Walk With Me presuppose any knowledge of the show past the reveal of Laura Palmer's killer? I'd like to watch the movie, but I have never watched anything past that and don't really intend to unless I rewatch the show some day.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Does Fire Walk With Me presuppose any knowledge of the show past the reveal of Laura Palmer's killer? I'd like to watch the movie, but I have never watched anything past that and don't really intend to unless I rewatch the show some day.

Sort of. There is a character that you meet at the end of the series and it does sort of spoil the series finale.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Nah, if you've watched that far into the show, you can and should watch Fire Walk With Me. It's an excellent movie, and far better than the second half of Twin Peaks.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Bown posted:

Inland Empire, for me, is a rollercoaster ride. I don't really try and make sense of anything about it, and I don't even know if there is a valid interpretation at all, but when I sit back and let the tone and mood wash over me it's an absolutely amazing experience. I wish Lynch would make more films.

A small movie theater nearby had a David Lynch film festival a few years back. Unfortunately I was the only person to show up. I got to see Inland Empire by myself in a theater, and yeah it kinda felt like I was trapped in someone else's nightmare for three hours. Eraserhead was a breeze after Inland Empire.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Oh SA, how you lead me down the rabbit hole starting with the "Things that scared you as a kid but probably shouldn't have" thread (I am glad to know that I was not the only one absolutely terrified by BOB...), which lead me to this thread today. I watched it when it first came out (I was around 9ish? Why on Earth did my parents let me watch it?)... tried to watch it last year and barely made it into the 2nd season before getting so genuinely freaked out I had to stop again. (drat you Lynch, how do you do that?)

I was thinking of restarting it again tonight as I read through the thread, until I was on Facebook, saw a friend's photo she posted.

Not sure I want to give it another go tonight now.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

You should watch the season finale, though, to see Lynch take the reins back and go crazy with the show. And yes, FWWM is very good.

hockeyfrog posted:

Oh SA, how you lead me down the rabbit hole starting with the "Things that scared you as a kid but probably shouldn't have" thread (I am glad to know that I was not the only one absolutely terrified by BOB...), which lead me to this thread today. I watched it when it first came out (I was around 9ish? Why on Earth did my parents let me watch it?)... tried to watch it last year and barely made it into the 2nd season before getting so genuinely freaked out I had to stop again. (drat you Lynch, how do you do that?)

I was thinking of restarting it again tonight as I read through the thread, until I was on Facebook, saw a friend's photo she posted.

Not sure I want to give it another go tonight now.

For what it's worth, even as an adult, Bob is one of the scariest villains ever. The scene where he crawls over the couch to go straight after Maddy is hard to watch, and of course, Maddy's slow murder is more unnerving than most things in R-rated movies. It blew my mind that this was on network TV over 20 years ago. And it's still a tough scene to re-watch.

Also, that dog is obviously from White Lodge.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 23, 2012

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I started this show a year ago, and then, stopped watching it for a long time after I found out about Laura. After reading this thread, I guess I know why.

I finally made it to the end though. I found myself with my mouth open several times during the last episode, and didn't mean to. Most of Lynch's stuff is too much for me; Twin Peaks was the perfect amount of weirdness.

I was pretty emotionally confused at the end of the show, especially with what happens to Coop. But someone in this thread mentioned that Cooper bashing his head against the mirror was the good Cooper trying to get BOB out of his body. I just like the idea of fighting until the end.

Was there ever an explanation about Coop's and company and their hand shakiness near the end?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

Also, that dog is obviously from White Lodge.

All Dogs are from the White Lodge. Cats are from the black.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
This show deserves a better OP also. Something like:

There's this show called Twin Peaks, created by David Lynch:

Check it out now on Netflix!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Squinting at my phone and holding it close to my face due to poor vision sure as hell made that Bob photo effective :stare:

The Louie thread in TVIV has been going off about David Lynch and Twin Peaks as well the past few pages. It's interesting to see praise for "Fire Walk With Me" when it seems the consensus in the other thread is that it's simply an ugly, unwarranted film (a view I agree with).

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Bewildrbeast posted:

Squinting at my phone and holding it close to my face due to poor vision sure as hell made that Bob photo effective :stare:

The Louie thread in TVIV has been going off about David Lynch and Twin Peaks as well the past few pages. It's interesting to see praise for "Fire Walk With Me" when it seems the consensus in the other thread is that it's simply an ugly, unwarranted film (a view I agree with).

I like it, but I watched it the day after I finished the show with no buildup or expectations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I contend that the only two good things about Fire Walk With Me were "more Ray Wise" and "David Bowie cameo". More Ray Wise is never a bad thing, and David Bowie is David Bowie.

Everything else pretty much sucked though, except for maybe Sheryl Lee. It's a shame she had to be dead as the MacGuffin for half the series, because she does a really good job as living Laura Palmer.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Fire Walk With Me has a lot of isolated parts that are really creepy and disturbing (in the best possible Lynch way), but as a whole, the movie sucks. It's Twin Peaks with none of the humor and charm. I know that's kind of the point, but it doesn't work for me.

But the good scenes are some of the creepiest poo poo I've seen. The Bowie scene is obviously one of them. Another is when Kiefer Sutherland and Chris Issacs (sorry forgot their character names) are looking under the fingernail of Teresa Banks under the microscope with that creepy backwards score.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

There are... parts and scenes in Fire Walk With Me that, when I watch them, evoke deeply buried and repressed feelings and emotions that I've long since internalized regarding some of the darker and deeply fearful aspects of my childhood and early childhood. It's nothing I can put into words very well - like when you enter a certain room you haven't been inside of in years, or smell a certain smell, and you suddenly have these very deep, powerful associations from that room or that smell which fills you with a certain kind of paralyzing panic, or gives you the sense that you're on the very cusp of some horrifying realization or epiphany that you cannot quite see or understand or put together, but you can still feel it.

Anyway, that's how certain scenes from FWWM feel to me. I feel the same way about some very specific scenes from certain Lynch-directed films like Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, Lost Highway, and of course some parts of Twin Peaks - certainly not all of it. FWWM is like a concentrated dose of the part of Twin Peaks that deeply disturbs and upsets me, and so in that sense I have a very high personal regard for it. At the same time I can absolutely understand why it's something of a failure as a film and why tons of people happen to dislike it. I dislike lots of parts of it, too. And it's not really a movie that I *enjoy* watching, per se.

Except for the first half hour with Special Agent Sam Stanley (played by a young Jack Bauer before leaving his job as a geeky and awkward FBI agent and joining CTU) and Special Agent Chester Desmond (played by Chris Isaak) investigating Teresa Banks' murder in the hilarious mirror-world version of Twin Peaks. That part of FWWM is totally enjoyable to watch, sometimes I just watch that part and then turn it off. I don't know why but that part of the movie feels like this really weird, hilarious alternate-universe pilot for Twin Peaks. It's kinda great if you look at it that way.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

When you see a logging truck in any show or film, take a drink.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Are there any interesting features that don't appear anywhere else? Commentaries or something?

aniero posted:

Pretty sure the gold box the the definitive set.
The original first season box has extra pop-up trivia that wasn't ported over to the newer sets. Only reason I'm keeping mine.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For some reason, it never occurred to me until reading this thread that One Eyed Jacks, a music venue here in New Orleans that I've been to a bunch of times, is named after the club in Twin Peaks and the decor of this venue is inspired by the Black Lodge :stare:

For reference, just check out their cover photo on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/One-Eyed-Jacks/238764903809

And I just watched the entire series for the first time last year, too! Can't believe I didn't make that connection before.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just came across this design, it was so bad I had to share it.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Darthemed posted:

Just came across this design, it was so bad I had to share it.

Sorry but you're completely wrong. I love the hell out of that because of what (I think) you hate.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I just started watching it on Netflix after I saw some goons talking about how amazing it is. The first episode was slow as hell but poo poo keeps getting kicked up a notch with weirdness.

What really prompted me to watch was playing "Red Seeds Profile" (Deadly Premonition is the English version) and it honestly pulls so much poo poo from Twin Peaks that I had to check it out.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I bought the Gold Box, after being blown away by Mulholland Dr which was my first exposure to Lynch.

The show was incredibly addicting, until, of course after the revelation of who killed Sarah Palmer. I had a feeling it was Leland from the getgo, but had no idea about this BOB figure)

And did anyone feel like Wyndham Earle was a great character but in the wrong show? I know Lynch regretted revealing the murderer so early on in S2 and he's right, because the show took a nosedive in quality. No offense to Earle, but he wasn't as interesting as the whole mystery behind Laura Palmer.

I will say that BOB is the most frightening character I have ever seen on screen. BOB haunted me for a long time, where I would constantly look over my shoulder to make sure BOB wasn't behind me. That part where Bob is out of focus and walking in black, and then a few seconds after when he comes into focus, man that scene. And him walking up to Maddie over the couch was awful too.

I have a question though Who the hell is that hooded figure, the one with the moon in the hood?

And was Garland Briggs really in the White Lodge?

Can someone agree with me that Annie Blackburn was a terrible character? Ugh I hated her scenes so much.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Confounding Factor posted:

Can someone agree with me that Annie Blackburn was a terrible character? Ugh I hated her scenes so much.

The worst part about that character is that she only exists because Kyle MachLachlan refused to let Dale Cooper get romantically involved with Audrey. But I do like Heather Graham as a general rule.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tewratomeh posted:

The worst part about that character is that she only exists because Kyle MachLachlan refused to let Dale Cooper get romantically involved with Audrey. But I do like Heather Graham as a general rule.

It was good that Coop didn't get involved with Audrey, otherwise it wouldn't coincide well with his integrity. Or atleast that's what I think. But hey I liked Heather much more in Austin Powers and Boogie Nights

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

It was good that Coop didn't get involved with Audrey, otherwise it wouldn't coincide well with his integrity.

Which could've led to rather interesting character developments. Certainly more interesting than Annie.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Stumpus posted:

This show deserves a better OP also. Something like:

There's this show called Twin Peaks, created by David Lynch:

Check it out now on Netflix!

Great pics, made me want to rewatch the show for something like the 8th time.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jan posted:

Which could've led to rather interesting character developments. Certainly more interesting than Annie.

Well now that I think about it, maybe that would have been better than seeing Billy Zane. Not sure if that needs a spoiler...

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Bewildrbeast posted:

The shooting script for FWWM is an interesting read and much more fleshed out than the movie. I've heard that 2+ hours of footage was cut from the theatrical version and that Lynch a couple years back wanted to make a director's cut with much of the footage restored but rights issues reared their ugly head as they are wont to do.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

regulargonzalez posted:

The shooting script for FWWM is an interesting read and much more fleshed out than the movie. I've heard that 2+ hours of footage was cut from the theatrical version and that Lynch a couple years back wanted to make a director's cut with much of the footage restored but rights issues reared their ugly head as they are wont to do.

Yeah I heard about that too. How the film was originally going to be 4 hours. I haven't seen it yet, but plan on doing so soon. I deliberately didn't watch it after Twin Peaks because I wasn't in a good mental state of mind to be disturbed again the way Lynch does it. He manages to pull these suppressed fears and emotions from me. Also I was torn after I saw Inland Empire.

But I will order it in the next week. I hear that the film was well received in the UK.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah I heard about that too. How the film was originally going to be 4 hours. I haven't seen it yet, but plan on doing so soon. I deliberately didn't watch it after Twin Peaks because I wasn't in a good mental state of mind to be disturbed again the way Lynch does it. He manages to pull these suppressed fears and emotions from me. Also I was torn after I saw Inland Empire.

But I will order it in the next week. I hear that the film was well received in the UK.

It's worth tracking down the script to read through after you watch FWWM. I don't have a copy any more but if you hunt around I'm sure you can find it.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.
I loved FWWM so much but I can see why people hate it. But to me it was just an incredibly powerful statement of, 'okay, Twin Peaks was creepy and often very scary but also loveable; now it's time to take the mask off and unleash pure horror'...the way that Lynch was so up front about that (with a TV being smashed at the very beginning) kind of blew me away.

In any case, the bit with Chris Isaak at the beginning is really cool.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Whitefish posted:

I loved FWWM so much but I can see why people hate it. But to me it was just an incredibly powerful statement of, 'okay, Twin Peaks was creepy and often very scary but also loveable; now it's time to take the mask off and unleash pure horror'...the way that Lynch was so up front about that (with a TV being smashed at the very beginning) kind of blew me away.

In any case, the bit with Chris Isaak at the beginning is really cool.

Bizarro Twin Peaks is hilarious but I can understand people who have not seen the show would not get the joke.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched FWWM right after marathoning the series and it still felt like a total mindfuck to me :psyduck:

And I'd even seen Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive before that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I watched FWWM right after marathoning the series and it still felt like a total mindfuck to me :psyduck:

And I'd even seen Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive before that!

Oh it still is but imagine someone who has never seen the show and how little sense it would make then. There are so many parts of the movie that you need to have seen the show to get or understand.

• Locked thread