Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
The chapter notes hint that the pig has some notable identity. Possibly it could be the guardian? It could provide a way for Baam to take a different test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sarcophallus posted:

He's been described as something of an obnoxious, self-absorbed [womanizing] idiot.

It seems to fit pretty well.

I don't know what it is about the fanbase for this series, but there's some weird pervasive thing where a worrying amount of people seem to think that SIU is out to 'troll' you with every little thing. So much so that these people didn't think Viole was Baam even after his flashback of Rachel.

I don't get it.

Partly it's because SIU does pull twists like that sometimes (like Rapdevil not being dead). Partly it's because people who discuss serialized fiction on the Internet tend to engage in wild speculation (compared to, say, Lost fandom, ToG fandom is quite tame in this regard). Partly it's because of the twists other shonen manga (especially Bleach) have pulled; to channel my inner grognards.txt poster, perhaps Shonen Jump, like Dungeons and Dragons, causes brain damage.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 11, 2012

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Panzerschwein posted:

The chapter notes hint that the pig has some notable identity. Possibly it could be the guardian? It could provide a way for Baam to take a different test.

I suspect it has to do with Repellista Zahard - as seen here: Season 2 Prologue.

Reason being that this was some pretty heavy setup for a whole bunch of stuff that's not even come close to happening, and we're already quite a ways into this season.

Maybe it's not actually controlled by Repellista, maybe the flower is the thing she wanted Yuri to get, but if Urek is here then I strongly suspect Yuri and co are going to factor into this arc, maybe as an 'out' so Baam can leave FUG and get back to his friends.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Miffler posted:

I'm not convinced yet that it is Mazino. Why would he have his own name on his back?

Why did Steve-O have his own face on his back?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
Mazino gives off a definite "Goku" vibe in the Baek Ryun profile as well. Powerful, kind-hearted, but a bit of an idiot.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Sarcophallus posted:

I suspect it has to do with Repellista Zahard - as seen here: Season 2 Prologue.
Haha, I just noticed the "Fus Ro Dah!!" in the black box when Yuri is about to go into the elevator. Reminded me that I needed to play Skyrim some more.

I think it's Mazino, as well. The little scrawl from the end of one of the previous chapters about him being the 'idiot of idiots' seems to make sense. I mean, what kind of idiot has his name tattooed on his back?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Mazino gives off a definite "Goku" vibe in the Baek Ryun profile as well. Powerful, kind-hearted, but a bit of an idiot.

I wouldn't quite call him kind-hearted, since he's done things like breaking into the Ranker HQ, kidnapping the vice director and threatening him over his rank being lower than Phantaminium's. Other than that I would say he seems like he'd be a shounen protagonist in personality.

Meningism
Dec 31, 2008

Genocyber posted:

I wouldn't quite call him kind-hearted, since he's done things like breaking into the Ranker HQ, kidnapping the vice director and threatening him over his rank being lower than Phantaminium's. Other than that I would say he seems like he'd be a shounen protagonist in personality.

Not to mention killing Rankers who've entered the big cowfish thing because they were "in his way" / hide the fact he was even there.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Meningism posted:

Not to mention killing Rankers who've entered the big cowfish thing because they were "in his way" / hide the fact he was even there.
But they were after him, what else should he do? Put them over his knee, give them a paddling, and then send them on their way? Rankers should know the consequences. Regulars, who were sent in on a false pretext, he was willing to leave alone.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
ToG day!

Mostly a setup chapter, looking forward to several weeks' worth of cliffhangers for this arc, but they'll be exciting.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That's the third setup chapter in a row. SIU! :argh:

And this translation has SIU's blog post at the end, so no having to wait for The Company's release. I assume that the "ten gaju" are the ten family heads. I wonder which one we'll be meeting soon.

And long chapter very soon. :allears:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Another setup chapter .

I wonder how Urek will respond to Baam being an irregular though.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
I thought the interesting thing was Baam hearing another Irregular who has seen the sky basically say what Rachel has been saying word for word.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
No one ever just fights. I guess living for so long they all got bored of straight fights and started making up gimmicks for everything they do.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, it always does to remember that the Tower is loving massive, and all the people you have seen are functionally immortal. The 'average' person climbs the Tower in 500 years. Generally speaking there are a few centuries between the time each Princess is chosen, the ruling elite switch off power between themselves while Zahard is resting every thousand years, the residential district of each floor is about the size of the United States [And we know of 135 floors in the Zahard Empire]...the scale of everything is ridiculous. People aren't even breathing air in the Tower. Everything you see is, in some sense, occurring 'underwater'. Out of the Tower, sure, everything is like it is in our world [Well, *more* like our world at least]. Inside the Tower, screw rules.

All the highest Rankers have powers on par with gods. And then there are guys like Phantaminum running around, who are...living stories, and the authors of those stories. The only people that can counter one of them is another author. When you are faced with functional immortality in a world of gods and monsters, you learn to make your own fun.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I wish these guys preserved the webcomic format instead of breaking it up into pages...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Use batoto or kissmanga.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sindai posted:

Use batoto or kissmanga.

They aren't as fast.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

:f5: This comic is going places and then it cliffhangs me.

Goddammit.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

:words: about size of tower

It really is interesting that, considering how absolutely massive the tower is, the world outside, according to Urek, is much larger and more impressive. I really hope we'll get to see something in the Talse Uzer universe other than the tower at some point in the story, or that SIU plans on setting a story elsewhere after he finishes ToG.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Weekly dose of ToG.

The Company version of the last chapter is now up on Batoto as well, but that's much less exciting.

e: Oh man, they didn't translate the attack name quite right. It's the same attack that First Emperor used in the Hide and Seek game.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 24, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Whup, he used a 'legendary technique' in front of Viole. I don't think he is going to have many problems with normal rankers from now on.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Sarcophallus posted:

e: It's the same attack that First Emperor used in the Hide and Seek game.

Hahaha! Can anyone find the pages of that?!

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Here is where First Emperor attempts to reveal his Emperor Hellfire Ball.

Urek was using the Emperor Hellfire Fist.

The attack name for reference: 패왕열사권

The wiki says that First Emperor used the fist attack as well, but I don't think it was shown.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 24, 2012

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
:dance: Some fantastic action there. Seeing this series in an anime format would be pretty fantastic.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ahaha, man, Mazino was there solely to devalue the flower. :allears:.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Shugojin posted:

Ahaha, man, Mazino was there solely to devalue the flower. :allears:.

Specifically, it was Yuri who wanted it. I'm just going to piggy-back on my last quote, because I think I might be right:

quote:

I suspect it has to do with Repellista Zahard ... maybe the flower is the thing she wanted Yuri to get

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Man, that was a pretty good chapter.

I'm really hoping that it's setting things up for Yuri finding out that Baam is still alive, I can't see where else Urek having Viole on his radar could go. If things do go that way, it's going to be amazing.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
Last week's TOG translated by The Company is out.

It has some notes from SIU at the end which clear up a few things.

Alca
Sep 7, 2005
8D
How delusional am I to think that TOG could be animated one day?

Alca fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 1, 2012

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I can't think of any Korean webtoons that have been animated.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

RatHat posted:

I can't think of any Korean webtoons that have been animated.

On the bright side, I think Tower of God is either one of the most popular (or the most popular) Korean webtoons, so if one were to ever get an adaptation...

Still very unlikely though.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Translation is out.

Website is currently slow as gently caress.

Also I believe the only "Korean" manga to get an anime was Freezing, and it was published in a Japanese magazine.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sarcophallus posted:

Translation is out.

Also I believe the only "Korean" manga to get an anime was Freezing, and it was published in a Japanese magazine.

Kurokami too, but same deal for that. Written by the same guy as well actually.

Alca
Sep 7, 2005
8D

Sarcophallus posted:

Translation is out.

I may be wrong, but would the problem simply be that it's already colored and no magazine in Japan would ever want to print it regardless of the content quality?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Alca posted:

I may be wrong, but would the problem simply be that it's already colored and no magazine in Japan would ever want to print it regardless of the content quality?

He's talking about an anime/OVA of ToG, not it being published in a Japanese magazine.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

He's talking about an anime/OVA of ToG, not it being published in a Japanese magazine.

Considering how much animation (both Japanese and Western) is actually done in South Korea, I'm surprised there aren't more Korean animated series in general.

Alca
Sep 7, 2005
8D

RatHat posted:

Oh, I had no idea that they could a release an animated version before printing the actual thing and see how well people react to it. It's still really risky, considering that it's foreign with a different type of art.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sarcophallus posted:

Translation is out.

:unsmith: Man, Baam's second group's really grown on me, SIU writes entertaining characters. So it's probably bad that it seems like Fug wants them taken out. There's no way Wagnan's actually going to die, but I'm still interested in where this is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Oh god, the end of that chapter :staredog: