Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

How would we know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Well have all the episodes been uploaded to Alluvion or have you used other trackers as well?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Twenty years ago someone at Sega said, "We are now in the 90's! We must create the most 90's game possible!" Then twenty years later Arino had to play it. So step into your cargo shorts, style your mullet, and check into Comix Zone.

This episode is brought to you by AP zari-gani; as an AP she only has to hold a microphone from time to time instead of rescuing Arino from tough games.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 677.81 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Katana Gomai posted:

Well have all the episodes been uploaded to Alluvion or have you used other trackers as well?

Takeshi's Castle and Bomberman were released in the brief period we were using nyaa.eu for torrents. Clover put out their episodes through nyaa as well.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 30, 2012

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Random Stranger posted:

Twenty years ago someone at Sierra said, "We are now in the 90's! We must create the most 90's game possible!" Then twenty years later Arino had to play it. So step into your cargo shorts, style your mullet, and check into Comix Zone.

I have waited for this one more than any other. This game tormented my childhood, but I couldn't keep away. YOU COULD PRESS A BUTTON TO FART, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! As a child, there was no game greater than Comix Zone. As an adult, I wish I could dropkick my childhood in the face.:downs:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What does Sierra have to do with Comix Zone?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

What does Sierra have to do with Comix Zone?

Because all game companies that start with "S" are identical, of course.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Random Stranger posted:

Takeshi's Castle and Bomberman were released in the brief period we were using nyaa.eu for torrents. Clover put out their episodes through nyaa as well.

Thanks, I already had those and I am sticking with the SA episodes for now, there are plenty I haven't seen yet.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

Thanks, I already had those and I am sticking with the SA episodes for now, there are plenty I haven't seen yet.

Clover has goons on the team and we've worked with them in the past on Street Fighter 2, Fatal Fury, and Punchout. They're good subs and definitely shouldn't be ignored.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I'm kinda sad that I'm about to go to bed, but I will definitely enjoy this episode later today/tonight. :)

Random Stranger posted:

Clover has goons on the team and we've worked with them in the past on Street Fighter 2, Fatal Fury, and Punchout. They're good subs and definitely shouldn't be ignored.
This. Clover's stuff so far is actually very good and on par (or close to it at least) with SAGCCX.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Oh that's good to know then; I still have some 20 episodes of SA subs to go through but I will have a look once I've caught up with those.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just going though the boxset, the ending to Battle Golfer Yui is pure untamed :psyduck:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Thanks for the new episode. I have been wanting to see this episode. The beginning to the Kirby's Dream Course can mow be fully understood in context.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I've only just got up to it but Arino playing Super Dodgeball in the Arcade segment made me extremely happy!

Thanks so much guys!

E: Oh dear, Arino hasn't dealt with the utter disappointment of "slo-mo" devices? Come on man, you're 40!

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 30, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mace Bacon posted:

E: Oh dear, Arino hasn't dealt with the utter disappointment of "slo-mo" devices? Come on man, you're 40!

Remember that the famicom had hardwired controllers so most Japanese gamers weren't exposed to new controllers in the same way the US was. It's very likely that Arino had never encountered something that made a game go in "slow motion" by rapidly cycling the start button.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Oh, there's a problem with the subtitle here, just before 35 minutes

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Wow the graphical style of that game really holds up, I haven't seen it in motion in a long time but it still looks cool.

Nice touch on the font choice for the in-game text.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Allen Wren posted:

Nah, there's way better places to go than to the Drafthouse (though the Drafthouse is an unstoppable movie machine.) Pinballz and Arcade UFO are both excellent, especially Pinballz, since it's got stacks of retro machines.

This is from a few pages ago, but I just wanted to shamelessly shill Arcade UFO because it's one of my favorite places to go whenever I'm in downtown Austin. It's a small place, but packed with awesome stuff like imports (Dodonpachi, Pop'n Music, DJ Max Technika, etc) and new fighting games rigged up to big double-sided arcade machines. You should definitely visit this place if you're ever in Austin.

And on the note of "arcades you'd like to see Arino in", Fun Spot is definitely one of them. It's a massive arcade with pretty much every American game you can imagine, and part of The King of Kong was filmed there. It's a shame that it's in the middle of one of the most boring towns in the country.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Lots of memories with Comix Zone...trying to clear most all levels with only Roadkill---thanks as always for what I'm sure will be another fantastic episode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yessss, Comix Zone. I've been waiting for this one forever.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Oh yes, Comix Zone. I have fond memories of beating that one as a kid (with Game Genie assistance of course). Except I guess the final battle glitched out from the codes I used or something, so even though I finished it fast enough the lever didn't properly trigger, leaving me stuck there, watching helplessly as Alissa shouted at me to save her until the slowly rising fuel finally snuffed out her last breath.

Wait did I say fond? I meant terrifying. gently caress Comix Zone.

P.S. Vote Roadkill for Best Powerup 1995.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Comix Zone was another game I thought was so awesome, but could never get past the first level. :negative:

Any game that gives Arino a buddy is guaranteed gold.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Oh man, this game is such a lovely game, but its aesthetic is so interesting.
Can't wait to see Arino suffer.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Nahxela posted:

Oh man, this game is such a lovely game,

Take that back, you cur!

When the GCCX in US video came out, I remembering think that this (Or Kid Chameleon) would have been a much more appropriate game for it. But then the challenge would have been cut down, so getting a whole episode to itself is much better overall.

I'm surprised no one told Arino the easy way to beat the first boss.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Is the Japanese version of Comix Zone easier than the American/European version? It seems the enemies don't block/counter as often.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drat it. It looked fine on my system but when it rendered it got into an extended character set which resulted in that mess. I can correct it but it would cause more problems than it's worth. :smith:

Heti posted:

Nice touch on the font choice for the in-game text.

Usually I prefer to use a monospace font to distinguish in game text but this one called for something special. I'm no Todd Klein but I do have that font handy for when I need to letter a comic.

Grawl posted:

Is the Japanese version of Comix Zone easier than the American/European version? It seems the enemies don't block/counter as often.

I believe that the Japanese version was released second so they could have had time to make adjustments based on feedback to the US version.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I haven't watched it yet but I hope the font choice was COMIC SANS, the best font.

geist hirsche
Jul 23, 2004

I'd never heard of Comix Zone before, and my god that is the most 90s game ever. All the 'cooool' character design cliches of the main character are killing me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Here's a preview of a release coming up this week that I just had to share:

Edit: They've got the challenge for the Asia special listed on the Fuji TV site. It's a big one: Super Mario Kart.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 1, 2012

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

britt posted:

I'd never heard of Comix Zone before, and my god that is the most 90s game ever. All the 'cooool' character design cliches of the main character are killing me.

As a dumb adolescent kid, I ate that stuff up. I still have stacks of "edgy" alternative comics (or should I say "comix"?) from that phase of my life. I never even really read the comics I collected, I just made sure that the cover art looked cool enough to make me "cool" by extension.

I wasn't quite dedicated enough to grow a rat tail or dress like Ted from Bill & Ted though.

That aside, I actually liked the game itself. The gameplay was decent, the idea was unique (if cliched and 90's as Hell) and the art was really nice. Furthest I ever got in the game was to the Lo Pan rip-off who shoots his fingernails.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

britt posted:

Toe Jam and Earl fits that whole "cool" thing too. Was it ever released in Japan?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I have fond memories of cursing whoever thought that hitting inanimate objects would hurt you in the game. gently caress that guy.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Guy Axlerod posted:

Toe Jam and Earl fits that whole "cool" thing too. Was it ever released in Japan?

Why is cool in quotations? :mad:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silentman0 posted:

I have fond memories of cursing whoever thought that hitting inanimate objects would hurt you in the game. gently caress that guy.

I hated that for a while but I've kinda grown to like it. Each time that came up it was usually part of a puzzle or a negligible amount of damage. You could brute force you way through something or figure out how to get through other ways.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I have new found respect for Arino after beating Street Fighter 2010. Anyone who can play that dry and tedious game and make it look fun deserves a medal. I couldn't imagine beating the game in one sitting.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Bocc Kob posted:

Why is cool in quotations? :mad:

Don't worry, I like Toe Jam and Earl. This is up on my wall:

I'm glad to see Arino play Comix Zone. I don't think I ever made it past the first stage.

Guy Axlerod fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 1, 2012

Dracozon
Nov 4, 2010

Living in a box,Living in a cardboard box.
Dude,learn to spoiler tag. Cool poster and everything,but just don't go spoiling episodes. Not cool man,not cool. :saddowns:

Dracozon fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 1, 2012

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Dracozon posted:

Dude,learn to spoiler tag. Cool poster and everything,but just don't go spoiling episodes. Not cool man,not cool. :saddowns:

Dude, learn to not quote spoilers. Now even if he does retroactively fix it, your post is going to just going to compound the issue.

dans
Nov 30, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Enjoy a Berry posted:

I ran into arino at awa

does he post here? I feel like his picture got posted last year too :yoshi:

Woah, I saw him this year at Otakon, Arino really gets around.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

With the DVD almost officially out, I should have something on the whole KOTAK kerfuffle tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Doesn't Kibe write the scripts for the show? How could he think Cammy was introduced in Street Fighter 4?