Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Gorilla Salad posted:

Ended up losing an hour or so at Shorpy again.

One day, if a miracle happens and I win the lottery, I'm going to buy every Kodachrome in the entire goddamn world.

Shorpy just grabs the most striking few dozen out of thousands on the LOC archives. (and messes with the color and brightness a bit)

Here is the whole mess of stuff Alfred Palmer shot in large-format kodachrome for the WPA and Office of War Information

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=Alfred+Palmer&sp=1&co=fsac&st=gallery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Gorilla Salad posted:

One day, if a miracle happens and I win the lottery, I'm going to buy every Kodachrome in the entire goddamn world.

It's a drat shame you can't get Kodachrome developed anymore.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Blistex posted:

Sometimes I wonder how bad things could have gotten for allied airmen had Goering not gotten himself hooked on painkillers after the Beerhall Putsch.

Depends on what you mean.

If you mean "what would it have been like if somebody really smart ran the Luftwaffe" then I think the answer is "really bad." If somebody smart had been minding the shop, a lot of resources dumped into crazy projects could have been redirected toward jets and SAMs, which could have been deployed in early '44. It's possible the Luftwaffe could have inflicted such heavy casualties on allied bombers they would have been forced to stop the strategic bombing campaign, or at least slow it down. This might have prevented the destruction of the Luftwaffe in '44, and the subsequent annihilation of German fuel production by the end of that summer. That's a lot of hypotheticals, of course - and the end still would have been the same - but yeah, much greater pain for the Allies.

If you mean "what if Herr Goering wasn't on th' opiates during the Second World War" my opinion is "not much." I think he was a boastful idiot even without the drugs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Fair chance that's why Hitler left him in that job. Goering wasn't the one moving funding around and making outlandish demands mid-R&D. Someone a bit smarter might've been able to convince him to back off a bit, but I doubt it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

drunkill posted:

I want these two replicas to somehow feature in the Dambusters remake that Peter Jackson is supposed to produce once he finishes up with the Hobbit and the next Tin Tin movie.

They haven't even started filming yet and already they've changed the dog's name.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Phanatic posted:

They haven't even started filming yet and already they've changed the dog's name.
Honestly, they need to harden the gently caress up and keep it the same, and people who complain it's offensive should be pointed and laughed at. It's like changing the name of the Enola Gay because of the modern connotations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Godholio posted:

Fair chance that's why Hitler left him in that job. Goering wasn't the one moving funding around and making outlandish demands mid-R&D. Someone a bit smarter might've been able to convince him to back off a bit, but I doubt it.

Hitler: among other things, a bad boss.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you mean "what if Herr Goering wasn't on th' opiates during the Second World War" my opinion is "not much." I think he was a boastful idiot even without the drugs.

Göring was measured to an IQ of 138 at the Nürnberg trials. Character flaws certainly, but I don't think the therm "idiot" correctly describes him.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Honestly, they need to harden the gently caress up and keep it the same, and people who complain it's offensive should be pointed and laughed at. It's like changing the name of the Enola Gay because of the modern connotations.

Wholeheartedly agree. It's just a change to dress up history to make it more palatable.

It looks like a Canadian Mosquito is coming along too - http://vicair.net/projects/mosquito/august-2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Colonel K posted:

Wholeheartedly agree. It's just a change to dress up history to make it more palatable.

It looks like a Canadian Mosquito is coming along too - http://vicair.net/projects/mosquito/august-2012

Now we're talking! :yayclod:

I was taught how to develop Ektachrome at Pitt in the early '80s, to make slides for instructors for class presentations. Seven steps, rigid time & temperature controls. Pain in the rear end. Even so, I could do it again, if I had the chemicals.

My father shot only Ektachrome 64.

My mother, grandfather & older sister, 1959.

An ageless format.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hitler: among other things, a bad boss.

No kidding. I had to miss an office bowling party once because I don't roll on shabbos, and look how that turned out.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Just chiming in to say that the Mosquito was Smokey Yunick's favorite aircraft he flew in WWII.

Smokey Yunick posted:

In 1963, I decided a race car could best be driven with one pedal, a combination of brake and throttle. And use an automatic transmission? Nope, manual. The start of this idea was in Italy in 'bout mid 40s. I got into a swap deal with the limey's where I let them fly a B-17 (mine), and they let me fly clipped wing Spitfire, with it's narrow landing gear and a tail dragger to boot. It required concentration to keep from changing it's shape (ground loop). I let them fly a B-25, they let me fly a Mosquito. My favorite plane. You strap it on and do any loving thing you can think of. In an American plane if you wanted left or right, or both brakes, you pushed left-right-or both pedals regardless of rudder pedal position. The limey stuff you had to establish rudder position left-right or neutral for left-right or both brakes (neutral for both). You want left brake you gotta push in left rudder and tip the pedal, etc. I liked that deal in strong cross wind.

Then there's this:

Smokey Yunick posted:

So you're thinking, where in the hell did you get the plan to build such a goofy car? Over Regansburg Germany, in 1944, I was driving a B-17 carrying ten tons of remodeling equipment up there to an aircraft bearing factory, when I see a very skinny fuselage airplane hauling rear end with a small capsule on one side, with a pilot in it. Turns out two small shapes with same frontal area as one single shape has less parasitic drag. I was always told those weenie gobblers were sharp, so I paid attention, But it wasn't until 1962, I got the answer from that trip to Freidseckhoven, Germany.

So this guy:

used this plane:

and this plane:

to build this car:

The pinnacle of all things AI, in one post, connected by one man.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 29, 2012

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sir Cornelius posted:

Göring was measured to an IQ of 138 at the Nürnberg trials. Character flaws certainly, but I don't think the therm "idiot" correctly describes him.

I will leave it to you to show us Hermann Goring's good side.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

I will leave it to you to show us Hermann Goring's good side.

I don't think he had any, and I didn't state so.

However "idiot" is a severe mental retardation. It's a psychiatric diagnosis.

Clearly a man that was evaluated and tested at the Nürnberg trials to be way over average intelligence wasn't an idiot.

This is a major derail, but what makes you think that "good sides" equals intelligence?

quickymart
Sep 13, 2007
Quick flyover of the Mosquito at Auckland this morning ( excuse the phone quality )

http://youtu.be/pmRClwaeZgg

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

The pinnacle of all things AI, in one post, connected by one man.

Smokey Yunick is pretty much the patron saint of AI.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

PainterofCrap posted:

Now we're talking! :yayclod:

I was taught how to develop Ektachrome at Pitt in the early '80s, to make slides for instructors for class presentations. Seven steps, rigid time & temperature controls. Pain in the rear end. Even so, I could do it again, if I had the chemicals.

My father shot only Ektachrome 64.

My mother, grandfather & older sister, 1959.

An ageless format.

http://freestylephoto.biz/c1002-Color-Chemicals-Color-Slide All the chemicals you'll need right there, in kits anyone can use so long as you're careful with the temperature.

Sadly they don't have ektachrome 64 new anymore, you'll have to live with 100 or something like Fuji Velvia.

gibber
May 21, 2001
Not an MC.
Ardmore airport is about 15 minutes away from here. What a day! Lots of people turned out to see the Mosquito today, wonderful to see.

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!
So this happened at work the other day.

Was getting on to last light, so the pilot + pax ended up having to spend the night in one of our camps. They had to fly an engineer out the next morning to make sure it was still airworthy. :rolleyes:

Kontour fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 29, 2012

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Really? I've seen a 206 do that, with people inside, and it was not thought of as a big deal because Cessna built a skid for just that reason. Did they not plan for that on the 208?

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Advent Horizon posted:

Really? I've seen a 206 do that, with people inside, and it was not thought of as a big deal because Cessna built a skid for just that reason. Did they not plan for that on the 208?

No clue, it has the little rectangular bracket that the pogo stick attaches to, but according to the pilot the ops guys refused to issue pogos for the non stretch 208s because they "can't tip if loaded correctly". Guess they didn't bank on a punter deciding he didn't like his assigned seat and walking aft while someone was standing on the rear steps. The 3 heli and 2 plankie pilots present all agreed that there was no way any damage could have been done, but the office insisted on sending the engineer. The whole thing was a bit of a gently caress up really, but they're the sole operator for an extremely remote part of Australia so I guess they don't care too much.

We used to have another airline out here, but they went bankrupt after CASA grounded them earlier this year for having 3 engine failures in the space of a week due to shoddy maintenance.

Kontour fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 29, 2012

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Mosquito, Mustang, Spitfire, Spitfire?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Mosquito, Mustang, Spitfire, Spitfire?

Clockwise from top left:

Mosquito, Mustang, P-40 Warhawk, Spitfire.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gibber posted:

Ardmore airport is about 15 minutes away from here. What a day! Lots of people turned out to see the Mosquito today, wonderful to see.

Do you mind if I post these pics elsewhere?

Kontour posted:

So this happened at work the other day.

Was getting on to last light, so the pilot + pax ended up having to spend the night in one of our camps. They had to fly an engineer out the next morning to make sure it was still airworthy. :rolleyes:

I'm slow. I thought it was an AN-2 Colt, and was wondering what you meant when you said they had to see if it was still airworthy. Wasn't until I blew it up to full size that I saw the nose wheel and Caravan on the tail..

gibber
May 21, 2001
Not an MC.

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

That's fine.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

I'm slow. I thought it was an AN-2 Colt, and was wondering what you meant when you said they had to see if it was still airworthy. Wasn't until I blew it up to full size that I saw the nose wheel and Caravan on the tail..

That would have made MORE sense since if it were a Colt it would have lost it's entire lower wing!:v:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

IMG_1294.jpg by Apollo, on Flickr

IMG_1276.jpg by Apollo, on Flickr

IMG_1284.jpg by Apollo, on Flickr

IMG_1329.jpg by Apollo, on Flickr

IMG_1343.jpg by Apollo, on Flickr

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 1, 2012

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well worn gooney bird = gorgeous

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
The DC-3 is such a beautiful airplane, in so many ways.

GTi
Feb 1, 2006
16 valves of fury
Here are my videos from the Mosquito launch. They aren't the best quality as I only had my flatmates little point and shoot camera but the sound quality is reasonable. I've got a few more but they're all very much the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTWAPI5Fe1A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWFqFqgnmzM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQVoBlArLmQ

It also did a few formation flybys with a Vampire, Spitfire, Mustang and Warhawk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDH69ewvhnk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq72xlvUbeQ

And a bunch of random photos. Not all of these were flying on the day, most disappointingly the A4 Skyhawk. I'm not sure what some of these planes are aside from the Mustang, Spitfire, Skyhawk, Supercub and Vampire.

GTi fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 1, 2012

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
So this beautiful thing has gone down with 6 people on board.

No trace found as yet.

Everyone thinks Qantas has a perfect safety record - not true. It's been perfect since the jet age. They lost lots of these things in the '30's to crashes - more crashed than were scrapped/sold. (Those were fatal crashes if anyone is keeping score)

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Great pictures and videos GTi.

I really think bushwheels on a supercub look great. If it wouldn't cost circa $9'000 to get them as a spare set I'd love to have them for off aerodrome ops.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Captain Postal posted:

Everyone thinks Qantas has a perfect safety record - not true. It's been perfect since the jet age. They lost lots of these things in the '30's to crashes - more crashed than were scrapped/sold. (Those were fatal crashes if anyone is keeping score)

They don't even really have a perfect safety record in the jet age either. The clarifying statement is "we've never lost an airframe" and they've only got that rating because they've decided to repair some airframes that should have been written off as a loss.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Obligatory video since someone mentioned bushwheels on a supercub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhUR-Fj_dIY

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

...and here's the really strange part, for those that didn't click through:

quote:

In 1954, at age 10, Mr Porter survived a crash that claimed the lives of his father and brother in the same type of aircraft.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Speaking of insane STOVL, I love how the Scan Eagle lands without a runway.

Sirveaux
Aug 26, 2004
<=>
And a video for those of us who don't understand what's going on in that picture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w88uCC2Jv48

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
I worked scan eagle in HOA :)

So did my baby momma. Hmmmmm.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Sirveaux posted:

And a video for those of us who don't understand what's going on in that picture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w88uCC2Jv48
Works great for small ships, too. Catapult launch + sky hook arrested landing is a great combination when all you have is a tiny-rear end helipad. UAVs like this are a real force multiplier for anti-piracy operations, among other things.

I hear the failure of this to scale up to allow the Dreamliner to land in small airports in Japan is what really lead to Boeing cancelling the 787-3 variant...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

grover posted:

UAVs like this are a real force multiplier for anti-piracy operations

Ehhhh, they're okay. I was really limited in what I could do with my skillset. I can't get into specifics but the imaging sweet leaves much to be desired.

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 2, 2012