Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Has the new Thundercats been cancelled already?

Yeah. For what its worth it came on on Saturday mornings, right before DC Nation. Anyways, good riddance, I saw a few episodes and it was generic as could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Around the early 2000s I saw a cartoon and ever since, its name has completely and infuriatingly eluded me.

It was set underwater and the main characters were fish-people, not the mermaid kind but the kind with fish patterned skin and webbed feet and fins on their ankles and all that poo poo. The two main leads I think were a pair of fish-children and they had a sidekick that was a little manta-ray fairy girl. There was also a black man who turned into a red and black fish man whenever he went underwater, and I remember this used to confuse me. What if he needed a bath? Did he ever go to the swimming pool?

Anyway help me goons, I'm fairly sure I didn't just dream about this and it was actually on TV.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Recycle Bin posted:

The new Ninja Turtles premiers this Saturday at 11. You should all go see it, because it's awesome, and I worked on it.

I just watched it recorded and thought it was very clever and a lot of fun, and usually I don't like turtle stuff too much, so good job there.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Red Bones posted:

Around the early 2000s I saw a cartoon and ever since, its name has completely and infuriatingly eluded me.

It was set underwater and the main characters were fish-people, not the mermaid kind but the kind with fish patterned skin and webbed feet and fins on their ankles and all that poo poo. The two main leads I think were a pair of fish-children and they had a sidekick that was a little manta-ray fairy girl. There was also a black man who turned into a red and black fish man whenever he went underwater, and I remember this used to confuse me. What if he needed a bath? Did he ever go to the swimming pool?

Anyway help me goons, I'm fairly sure I didn't just dream about this and it was actually on TV.

The manta-fairy kind of throws me off there, but with the man transforming into a fish, could it have been "Tiger Sharks"?

GrumbleGrumble
Jul 11, 2004

The new ninja turtles is a lot of fun, definitely a fresh take and I like the character designs ( sort of the chunky tartakovsky look ) and the idea of using 2d animation staples in 3d. The writing has a good sense of humor as well, can't wait to see what type of gags they come up with.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

raditts posted:

It really was a lot better than I was expecting from the promos. The only things I thought were weird was how they go all no-pupils when they're fighting, and that Raphael's voice was coming out of Donatello.

Greg Cripes as Mikey was surprisingly good (especially calling the canister "Mommy"). Although I'm not sure how I feel about all the UltrKrangs talking like Mojo Jojo.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Rahonavis posted:

The manta-fairy kind of throws me off there, but with the man transforming into a fish, could it have been "Tiger Sharks"?

No, that definitely wasn't it. I'd honestly just write it off as something I'd made up when I was a kid, but a couple of my friends remembered it too. Thanks for trying though :shobon:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I ought to catch the new Turtles. Is the tone more like the original cartoon or more like the 2003 one?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Y-Hat posted:

I ought to catch the new Turtles. Is the tone more like the original cartoon or more like the 2003 one?

It's mostly like the original show, I guess, because it's goofy and lighthearted, to the point of having anime expressions at times. Though they're not only brief, but always for the sake of conveying emotions quickly instead of for the sake of having an anime expression. The show uses body language and dialog very well. I thought a lot of the gags were really clever and funny.

The goofiness didn't ever take precedent over telling a good story. Mike is the token dummy, but he was at least good at it and still had character besides that.

I guess having an actual continuing storyline (The ending has multiple hooks for ongoing plots) and actual fight scenes is more of a characteristic of the 2003 series, but I never watched the 2003 series except one or two episodes and heard people talk about how dark it was. Though the new series can go in that territory too, but more subtly and gracefully, IMO. Like, the first new mutant they face is surprisingly twisted a plant mutant with an exposed beating human heart. To even move it has to mutilate itself, breaking its stalk into legs, and there's muscles and bones in the interior of it.. Gnarly.

Raphael is also more in his comic/2003 personality of being the dark horse in conflict with Leo, rather than a joker. But he's not a complete rear end in a top hat or a wolverine wannabe, he's just cool but crude. Also, Splinter was previously a human ninja here like in the 80's show.

So yeah it's basically mostly lighthearted but has a serious ongoing plot, characters that aren't one-quirk joke machines, and action scenes are mostly played straight without silly solutions to serious situations. I hope it keeps all of that up, I really liked it.

god thats a lot of words about turtles

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

That emoticon is loving hilarious.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It reminds me of Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and I imagine it'll spawn similar arguments.

I really liked it and thought it had about the right blend of funny and serious.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So, the new Ninja Turtles show (which I have yet to see) apparently had killer ratings (best of 2012 in the desired demos) and has already been renewed for another season. So if the show is good I suspect this is good news. I'll probably catch it sometime in the next week.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Deadpool posted:

So, the new Ninja Turtles show (which I have yet to see) apparently had killer ratings (best of 2012 in the desired demos) and has already been renewed for another season. So if the show is good I suspect this is good news. I'll probably catch it sometime in the next week.

So it beat Korra?
That's surprising, I never heard of anyone excited for new cgi turtles, I just watched it on a whim.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom
Hey Turtles fans! I created a thread for the show here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509959

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yonic Symbolism posted:

So it beat Korra?
That's surprising, I never heard of anyone excited for new cgi turtles, I just watched it on a whim.

The concept of "Mutant Ninja Turtles" is just something that hits all the cool buttons in the brains of kids. It's science.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Red Bones posted:

No, that definitely wasn't it. I'd honestly just write it off as something I'd made up when I was a kid, but a couple of my friends remembered it too. Thanks for trying though :shobon:

Do you mean the thing with this guy?

I think it was called Prince on Atlantis but there seems to be almost nothing about it on the internet.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Crosspost from the PYF animation gif thread:

Doom Goon posted:

Made some gifs somewhat recently:
Gravity Falls

Regular Show

Powerpuff Girls

The Aquabats! Super Show! (Snakey Snacks segment by Mega64).

Not animation, but closes enough; it fits here better. Plus I don't want to post just a single to the other thread.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Smithsonian's blog has been doing an episode-by-episode write-up of the first season of The Jetsons. It's pretty interesting and informative because the writer does it in the context of the technology and popular sci-fi of the era that the show was made in.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

Do you mean the thing with this guy?

I think it was called Prince on Atlantis but there seems to be almost nothing about it on the internet.

Thank you so much, this is the exact cartoon. One season of 25 episodes, made in france in 1997, and there is nothing but a couple of very brief mentions on the internet of it. I guess it must have never had a DVD release or something, there's no footage anywhere and barely any screencaps. At least now I know I wasn't dreaming it up out of nowhere!

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 9, 2012

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-xz3XtrPM
Man I miss the days I watched some of those late 90s early 2000s cartoons, but I'm glad I can say that there are still a lot of good cartoons still on.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Man I miss the days I watched some of those late 90s early 2000s cartoons, but I'm glad I can say that there are still a lot of good cartoons still on.

Sheep in the big city showed up!! Someone remembers that show.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Devil Tesla posted:

Sheep in the big city showed up!! Someone remembers that show.

There's a series of these little toons, and they feature even the obscure not very good toons like Squirrel Boy and My Gym Partner's a Monkey

About the only thing I haven't seen is Re-Animated.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The dog from Johnny Test is in the background of one of the scenes. Somehow this strikes me as profoundly wrong, even in a commercial where the end proudly celebrates Jabberjaw.

Man though, I love crossover ads. I kinda miss the older days of the network, when stuff like that would get made more often. Nowadays production is probably a lot more spread out and thus more of a hassle.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 8, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

TwoPair posted:

The dog from Johnny Test is in the background of one of the scenes. Somehow this strikes me as profoundly wrong, even in a commercial where the end proudly celebrates Jabberjaw.

There are things about Jabberjaw worth celebrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn1pf0Xi3nU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't Jabberjaw have a really dark premise? I think I remember something about how the surface world was too overpolluted, so mankind was forced to live underwater.

I've never seen that purple gorilla on Cartoon Network though.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

Didn't Jabberjaw have a really dark premise? I think I remember something about how the surface world was too overpolluted, so mankind was forced to live underwater.

I've never seen that purple gorilla on Cartoon Network though.
It's Grape Ape.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

achillesforever6 posted:

This is pretty cool, although I don't see anything related to Sym-Bionic Titan or Samurai Jack. :smith:

Also Jake at the very end. :allears:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is pretty cool, although I don't see anything related to Sym-Bionic Titan or Samurai Jack. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxctv3Un5s
This one has Jack and Aku in it.
I swear I've seen some characters from Sym-Bionic Titan in one of them

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Electric Phantasm posted:

There's a short shot of Samurai Jack riding Lady Rainicorn in the other mashup video.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sockser posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxctv3Un5s
This one has Jack and Aku in it.
I swear I've seen some characters from Sym-Bionic Titan in one of them

These are really cool, hope they make a few more.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

There's this (lovely quality) one starring Brak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE7siPIOtxQ

Cartoon Network sure seems to like poking fun at itself over all the loving Ben 10 series they can't stop running.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

raditts posted:

There's a short shot of Samurai Jack riding Lady Rainicorn in the other mashup video.
And he has the biggest :effort: face on. :allears:
E: Also "Do the Monkey with me" man Johnny Bravo was so fun back in the day, plus I think it was where Seth MacFarlane got his start right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Cartoon Network sure seems to like poking fun at itself over all the loving Ben 10 series they can't stop running.

Speaking of which, is there some reason CN seems to redesign and relaunch a new Ben 10 like every year now? I know a lot of networks have episode limits on series, is that the case here? It just seems so odd. I remember watching and liking the original, but every time I've seen one of the other incarnations, they've always seemed kinda dumb.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Speaking of which, is there some reason CN seems to redesign and relaunch a new Ben 10 like every year now? I know a lot of networks have episode limits on series, is that the case here? It just seems so odd. I remember watching and liking the original, but every time I've seen one of the other incarnations, they've always seemed kinda dumb.

Mad Merch cash?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

There are things about Jabberjaw worth celebrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn1pf0Xi3nU

Dear lord, those were so much better than they had any right to be.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Bro-Unicorns and Red Guy (from Cow and Chicken) SPOTTED!

I like how these ads implicitly seem to acknowledge which shows were better/more beloved than others. I've only caught one visible Johnny Test cameo, for example, compared to the numerous and visible appearances of characters from Adventure Time, Regular Show, Dexter's Laboratory, and Johnny Bravo. (And zero cameos from loving Ninjago, and zero from Nearly Nude Animals, or whatever that show's called.)

Needs more Ed, Edd, n Eddy, though. And more Stupid Dogs. And, of course, Symbionic Titan.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

achillesforever6 posted:

And he has the biggest :effort: face on. :allears:
E: Also "Do the Monkey with me" man Johnny Bravo was so fun back in the day, plus I think it was where Seth MacFarlane got his start right?

I really want to be a fly in the room in the marketing meeting that ended with the CN execs going "Our fledgling network for all-ages needs a cartoon about a guy trying to get laid!"

You can definitely tell it's where MacFarlane got his start, it has the same pop-culture beats right down to Adam West playing himself and being bonkers.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Johnny Bravo was Van Partible though :confused:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Hey fios users, I've found today that there is a Barbie channel today. It is as bad as you think it is.

I for one think that 20th anniversary ads are nice but kinda points out CN's hypocrisy of late with all of the live action shows they keep trying to launch. I distinctly remember a time when their slogan was cartoons and only cartoons 24/7. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

Mad Merch cash?

I guess, but I dunno, it seems like the merch is all about the aliens, and it seems easier to come up with plot contrivances to give him new aliens every once in a while than to change the art style, supporting cast, voice actors, etc.