Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I pay my rent and bills via electronic transfer, but this meant that when I had to change my address on my drivers' license it was a complete loving pain to prove my identity/residence as I had no canceled checks dated within 90 days, no rent receipts, and no paper bills sent to the address in my name (they come in in my landlord's name and I pay him online).

The DMV's methods of proving identity and residence are pretty loving outdated themselves, since they rely almost entirely on paper forms and mail that people get online now, if they get them at all. I had to go to the bank and hassle them into printing out a paper statement, which apparently they don't really "do" (they gave me six other things before I finally got a statement out of them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty
Whoa, this thread is a trip down memory lane. Here's some of my favorite out dated tech that maybe some of my fellow aging Gen X goons might remember?

My mom owned one of those Packard Bell cabinet stereo systems from when she was a college student in the swingin' 60s. All the fun and games came to an end when she married my dad and he finally made her get rid of it in the late 70s. Man, I really loved this thing.

I was an only child and my parents both worked a lot. To make up for all the time spent alone, my dad would buy me "science toys" (his words) that would 1) get his daughter interested in things not really targeted to my gender and 2) keep me busy for hours. My favorite was the Texas Instrument TI-994a, given to me for Christmas '81. We couldn't afford the monitor, so we had to connect it to a huge rear end console TV. We also couldn't afford many games; I only had a skiing one, a BASIC program and one that taught French, I think. However, I did learn to code a little BASIC and I'd spend ages typing lines to make the screen turn different colors or play a few bars of "Happy Birthday." Eventually I invited my friends over to see how freaking amazing this thing was, but sadly my fellow 7 year olds didn't enjoy sitting there watching me type for 15 minutes and I was mocked until I abandoned it to go play with Barbies. My dad was disappointed in me, to say the least. And so am I, looking back. :eng99:

Does anyone remember Tandy, Radio Shack's line of PCs? No idea what model my dad picked up on a discount, but I know it was totally buggy, the monitor was always turning off and on and the slot where you plugged in the dot matrix printer was broken. I had a cousin that worked for IBM, but my dad refused to get one from her on discount because he thought IBM was a corporate overlord bent of the destruction of mankind or some bullshit...and obviously Apple was out of the question.

My last computer, before I was able to actually buy one for myself in the late 90s, was a Compaq Presario. However, it did not come with Windows. Nope, it came with....TabWorks. What is TabWorks, you ask? It's a lovely shell for Windows 3.1 that was made to look like a loving Trapper Keeper.

It was cool for about 10 minutes, until I accumulated about 30 different tabs and started to lose track of my files. When Windows '95 came along a bit later, I was so jealous of my friends that were able to get it right away. I saved for months and ate lots of ramen in order to finally upgrade. It was an exciting day.... :shepface:

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

Only reason blu-ray even did was becuase sony spent literally billions of dollars essentially bribing companies to use blu-ray, and then selling the PS3 at like a 500 dollar loss so that they could ensure everyone who had a PS3 would be buying blu-rays.

Only Sony could be so devious! :argh:

I mean, seriously?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

einTier posted:

Now everyone sets their clocks off their cell phones, which are synced to the atomic clock, and it's really rare to find someone whose watch is off by even a minute. I don't think about it much, but a whole line of excuses for being late disappeared almost overnight.

My mobile phone network (Orange UK) is 8 minutes off.

8 mins is really quite a lot.

My lovely £5 watch is only 2 mins off. So much for technology.

Sex Hobbit posted:

I pay my rent and bills via electronic transfer, but this meant that when I had to change my address on my drivers' license it was a complete loving pain to prove my identity/residence as I had no canceled checks dated within 90 days, no rent receipts, and no paper bills sent to the address in my name (they come in in my landlord's name and I pay him online).

The DMV's methods of proving identity and residence are pretty loving outdated themselves, since they rely almost entirely on paper forms and mail that people get online now, if they get them at all. I had to go to the bank and hassle them into printing out a paper statement, which apparently they don't really "do" (they gave me six other things before I finally got a statement out of them).

I've had this exact same problem: I just don't have anything on paper with my address on it, that is accepted as proof of address.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Only Sony could be so devious! :argh:

I mean, seriously?

This is what they did.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:
Sorry to go back to bankchat, but I'm astonished about how far behind the times the US when it comes to doing transfers or paying bills.

Here in Australia, I can pay any bill over the internet instantly, and transfer money to friends or other accounts for either free or such a minimal fee that I've never even bothered to check how much it is. They also keep all your statements on there (Including stuff like payments that are on hold, which is neat), and most of the major banks have smartphone apps so you can do all of it whenever the hell you want.

I've never written a cheque, and the only time I even carry money anymore is when I'm going to a bar. You guys are missing out.

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010

spog posted:

I've had this exact same problem: I just don't have anything on paper with my address on it, that is accepted as proof of address.

Also going to join in on the "why is the US in the 1950s still?" bandwagon, but this is also weird to me. Why would a paper with your address on be proof of anything? Why doesn't the post office keep track of peoples addresses? This also goes into the whole voter ID/voter suppression thing. Not having a debit/credit card with pictures that is used as ID is pretty much impossible if you are over 16 or not a recently arrived paperless immigrant here in Norway. If you have a job, you get your pay deposited into your banking account, to use that you need a card, if you get money from the government it gets deposited into your banking account and you need a card. Unless you live on allowances from your parents or selling stolen car radios to pay for heroin it should be really hard to not have ID..

And about checks; I was a cashier at a department store two years or so back, and I actually saw a check. It was some 50 year old polish woman who had it. I had no idea how to deal with it so I called my coworker who was 40, she had never seen a check in her life so she called our boss. Our boss didn't know what we would do with a check so he had to call up the corporate chain to find out that no, we didn't accept checks. So yeah that is pretty outdated.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

AntiPseudonym posted:

Sorry to go back to bankchat, but I'm astonished about how far behind the times the US when it comes to doing transfers or paying bills.

Here in Australia, I can pay any bill over the internet instantly, and transfer money to friends or other accounts for either free or such a minimal fee that I've never even bothered to check how much it is. They also keep all your statements on there (Including stuff like payments that are on hold, which is neat), and most of the major banks have smartphone apps so you can do all of it whenever the hell you want.

I've never written a cheque, and the only time I even carry money anymore is when I'm going to a bar. You guys are missing out.

Exactly what I came here to post. Hell with my banks phone app I can even pay money to someones bloody mobile phone number, in addition to instant bank transfers and bill payments.

I literally cannot remember the last time I saw a cheque in person and can't think of anywhere that would even accept one.

I don't think even the elderly use them now (They all pay bills in cash at the post office.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Has anyone posted VHS tape rewinders? They're basically the go-to example of recently-obsoleted technology that seems silly looking back from today. I searched the thread and couldn't find it but I still might have missed them.

I had one that would rewind so fast it would tear the tape apart on weaker (usually rental) tapes. Of course if that happened you could open up the VHS cartridge and splice the ends back together and it would work great, minus a half-second you had to cut out where the tape was damaged. Good enough for Blockbuster to take it back.

They were invaluable to movie rental places.

Thinking about it, kids today probably have no concept of having to physically rewind something before you could listen/watch it again.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

muscles like this? posted:

Kids today probably have no concept of having to physically rewind something before you could listen/watch it again.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I'm a Scout Leader (UK). Our kids parents mostly pay their terms subscriptions with cheques. It's easier for us than cash, as we don't want unlabelled cash floating around, and it discourages people from paying in shrapnel. We don't have card readers and things for payment that way.

There's a reason we haven't set up bank transfers and direct debiting and stuff, but I can't remember what it is...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AntiPseudonym posted:

Other than paying another person with a transfer, we can do that in the US. Any decently large company will allow online payments from banks. My bank charges no fee to do online payments, and none of the companies I pay (Comcast, and two local utility companies) charge a fee, either.

But yeah, we are still a bit behind the times...I'm sure the reason has something to do with weird interstate commerce laws put in place by bank lobbyists that force us to pay large fees so banks can continue to make us their bitches.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tears In A Vial posted:

There's a reason we haven't set up bank transfers and direct debiting and stuff, but I can't remember what it is...

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is there to "set up" for bank transfers?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Tears In A Vial posted:

I'm a Scout Leader (UK). Our kids parents mostly pay their terms subscriptions with cheques. It's easier for us than cash, as we don't want unlabelled cash floating around, and it discourages people from paying in shrapnel. We don't have card readers and things for payment that way.

:hfive: fellow Scout Leader.

Danish leader here :)

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

KillerKatten posted:

Also going to join in on the "why is the US in the 1950s still?" bandwagon, but this is also weird to me. Why would a paper with your address on be proof of anything? Why doesn't the post office keep track of peoples addresses? This also goes into the whole voter ID/voter suppression thing. Not having a debit/credit card with pictures that is used as ID is pretty much impossible if you are over 16 or not a recently arrived paperless immigrant here in Norway. If you have a job, you get your pay deposited into your banking account, to use that you need a card, if you get money from the government it gets deposited into your banking account and you need a card. Unless you live on allowances from your parents or selling stolen car radios to pay for heroin it should be really hard to not have ID..

Actually the post office does keep track of people's addresses but it's not part of the State Government (the DMV is a state government thing). Technically it's an independent agency and not really part of the Federal Government either. I think the only reason they keep addresses is so they can forward mail sent to the wrong place.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Isn't this actually a product that polishes CDs so they work properly again back when CD readers were so fault-intolerant that a couple of scratches could make a cd unreadable?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is there to "set up" for bank transfers?

Ah I can't remember. I leave all that stuff to our treasurer, I became a Scout Leader to play in the woods and start fires and things, not to worry about finances and banking.

I know that some groups have problems with bank transfers because they come from bank accounts associated with parents and guardians, and the surnames are often different from the kids, so it can be difficult to match up who has paid and who hasn't.

It's also a lot easier to "dodge" paying us if you say that you'll pay for your kids term when you get home and deal with your online banking.

This is not just one or two, it's a hundred kids, and it's a lot easier to just flip through a 100 checks with the kids name written on the back than it is to check our online bank account for transfers from different accounts.

So I guess when I say "Set-up" I don't mean with the bank, I mean us internally setting up a system wherein we can monitor, check and tally who has and hasn't paid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Drone_Fragger posted:

Isn't this actually a product that polishes CDs so they work properly again back when CD readers were so fault-intolerant that a couple of scratches could make a cd unreadable?

Nah, that's something else. This is just a gag product.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Drone_Fragger posted:

It looks like a "stomper" for lining up and applying labels to burned discs, relabeled as a joke. I was about to say how obsolete that is but I think you can still buy them at Office Depot. There was a time when good torrents came with an image of the DVD labels. I'm pretty sure those days are long gone.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Sagebrush posted:

Huh? There's been a perfectly functional way of setting your watch to a national time signal since about 1925: most every publicly-funded radio station (and some commercial ones too) broadcasts a standard time signal at least once a day. You'd tune in just before 1pm and listen to the chime. If you had/have a shortwave radio, you can also listen to WWV on 15.000MHz and get a time signal every minute, 24 hours a day. Have to adjust for the speed-of-light delay between your location and Ft. Collins, CO if you want really bang-on accuracy, but hey, if you have a shortwave radio that's the kind of dorky poo poo you're happy to calculate :science:

Also, if you didn't have a radio nearby but could get to a payphone, you could call the phone operator or an automated national hotline, and it would also provide you with the exact time.

e: and before that, what do you think huge clock towers like Big Ben were built for?
Oh sure. Here's a dozen geeky ways you can set your watch, or if you happen to live in a big city, there's a huge clock tower for you (which, outside of a few major cities, wasn't set by any of those geeky measures) versus "the watch you carry in your pocket is 100% accurate all the time and you don't have to do anything."

Those things existed -- I remember calling the atomic clock and setting my watch to it back in the 1980's. But I also remember it being about 10 minutes behind the time in my small town in east Texas. After a few days of being late to everything, I quit telling everyone they were wrong and just set my watch to local time.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Yeah, labeling your home burned CDs was a pretty short-lived thing. I don't even know how much it took off either, since I remember people talking about wanting to do it but never seeing anybody actually buy one.

Hell, burning CDs is probably something that's disappearing in general. I've had the same stack of CD-Rs for years because I only use them periodically to refresh the music selection in my car. I remember being a teenager and part of an elaborate network of people copying and trading albums to expand our music collections. That pretty much disappeared with high speed connections and the rise of mp3 players.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
To chime in with the outdated media posts, you all would be very surprised how much certain formats were used. I used to work for a company that mass duplicated media, VHS, CD, DVD, etc.

As of 2010, we were still getting orders for VHS tapes. There were some companies who REFUSED to update to DVD players. A lovely one costs about thirty dollars, probably cheaper and we still were making corporate videos on VHS. We eventually stopped offering the service, because housing the equipment wasn't worth it.

In 2009, there was a massive order for those CD business cards. As in, hundreds of thousands. Banks love those things.

In 2008, there were still orders for Audio Cassettes. I don't even know.

Anyone who thinks that CD/DVD's are going anywhere any time soon, you are sorely mistaken. Corporations still rely heavily on them and getting them to update to any kind of new technology is an exercise in futility. Regular consumers might adopt something else sooner, but corporations will use a format until it is no longer needed. We would get companies that ask for huge cd orders for literally one .pdf file on it. They could save thousands of dollars by just putting this .pdf on their website, but due to having little concept of technology, they go that route.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Yeah, I meant personal use with my post but you're right about larger organizations being slow to adapt. I had a programming professor who did some work on military contracts and mentioned that they'll opt to stick with older technology that they know is reliable, or at least will fail in predictable ways, rather than take on an unknown with new stuff. Plus you can always count on finding some companies who's management refuses to adapt.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

KillerKatten posted:

And about checks; I was a cashier at a department store two years or so back, and I actually saw a check. It was some 50 year old polish woman who had it. I had no idea how to deal with it so I called my coworker who was 40, she had never seen a check in her life so she called our boss. Our boss didn't know what we would do with a check so he had to call up the corporate chain to find out that no, we didn't accept checks. So yeah that is pretty outdated.

My grandmother used to give me checks at my birthday. It was always a nightmare to cash them in because no one at the bank knew how to do it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Alhazred posted:

My grandmother used to give me checks at my birthday. It was always a nightmare to cash them in because no one at the bank knew how to do it.

Are you loving serious? What kind of lovely bank is this? I'm the treasurer for a condo association and all the members give me checks for the dues. They like to have a paper receipt that I got the thing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Are you loving serious? What kind of lovely bank is this?

In Norway checks are an obsolete technology, not even my grandmother uses them anymore. I can't even remember the last time I went to a bank because I pay all of my bills over the internet.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
How about this bad boy?

I'm...not really sure what to make of them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BoutrosBoutros posted:

Actually the post office does keep track of people's addresses but it's not part of the State Government (the DMV is a state government thing). Technically it's an independent agency and not really part of the Federal Government either. I think the only reason they keep addresses is so they can forward mail sent to the wrong place.

Also the post office gets it loving wrong, for instance they still have me listed at my old address because I lived there for 18 years, despite me telling them (via a form the postman gave me) that I don't live there anymore and I actually live here now.

This wouldn't be a problem (all my mail has my new address on it anyway) if it weren't for the fact that my bank and my insurance agency ask the post office on what seems like a quarterly basis if I still live at my current address. And they tell them no, our records show that he lives at my old address. So my address changes back to my old address and I have to call my bank and my insurance company and tell them to stop loving asking the post office :argh:

As for that guy who said his phone network is off, I don't know what system you guys use over there but here phones are at a minimum synced to the towers, and the towers are synced to GPS time, and GPS time is based on the satellites' on-board atomic clocks. Most phones sync to GPS directly these days if they have a GPS receiver in them, too. Maybe you guys don't use GPS in critical networks since that's technically a US Airforce thing that we can technically cut off whenever we feel like it? I don't know but I think it's interesting that a modern computer-based network would lag so much when even my home computers are synced to NTP servers that are synced to atomic clocks, and If anyone knows why I'd be interested in knowing because I'm a nerd.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

einTier posted:

Oh sure. Here's a dozen geeky ways you can set your watch, or if you happen to live in a big city, there's a huge clock tower for you (which, outside of a few major cities, wasn't set by any of those geeky measures) versus "the watch you carry in your pocket is 100% accurate all the time and you don't have to do anything."

Those things existed -- I remember calling the atomic clock and setting my watch to it back in the 1980's. But I also remember it being about 10 minutes behind the time in my small town in east Texas. After a few days of being late to everything, I quit telling everyone they were wrong and just set my watch to local time.

Listening to the radio isn't really geeky -- and certainly wasn't before TV and the internet -- and if your city has a clock tower and whoever's in charge of it didn't bother to set it to the radio signal at least every couple of weeks they were a pretty terrible timekeeper.

It just sounds like a lot of your issues are more "I lived in a small town" than "everybody's watches were off before cell phones". Remember that accurate timekeeping, aligned to centralized standards, was required as a critical part of oceanic navigation as far back as the 15th century.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Tears In A Vial posted:

I know that some groups have problems with bank transfers because they come from bank accounts associated with parents and guardians, and the surnames are often different from the kids, so it can be difficult to match up who has paid and who hasn't.

[...]

This is not just one or two, it's a hundred kids, and it's a lot easier to just flip through a 100 checks with the kids name written on the back than it is to check our online bank account for transfers from different accounts.
This is why you would send a bill that mentions a unique structured message people must attach to the bank transfer that identifies what payment is for what bill, no matter what account it's sent from.

But I guess that organisational effort is only worth it if bank transfers are common and (almost) everyone pays that way.

Anyway:

burtonos posted:

How about this bad boy?

I don't see a single benefit in this system over normal 35mm film. I wonder what the guy that came up with it was thinking.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

As for that guy who said his phone network is off, I don't know what system you guys use over there but here phones are at a minimum synced to the towers, and the towers are synced to GPS time, and GPS time is based on the satellites' on-board atomic clocks.
I don't know either, but if I let my phone clock sync time with the towers, it's five minutes early compared to the other clocks I have here that radiosync to an atomic clock in Frankfurt.

Flipperwaldt has a new favorite as of 17:53 on Oct 1, 2012

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Today is the 30th anniversary of the CD going on sale. Also it was only last year that digital overtook CD sales. Looks like CDs are going the way of obsolete.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2012/10/01/162062347/the-cd-at-30-is-feeling-its-age

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

burtonos posted:

How about this bad boy?

That's the same exact camera my mom always had when I was growing up. I'm guessing it was big in the early 80s?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Anyway:
I don't see a single benefit in this system over normal 35mm film. I wonder what the guy that came up with it was thinking.

It was easier to load than 35mm film and I remember that being advertised as a major selling point: simply drop it into place with the same ease as putting a music cassette into a player.

At that time, most 35mm film was indeed quite tricky to load: you had to manually thread the end of the film through the take up spindle and hope it would lock into place, without drawing out too much film.

So, in that regard, it was a real benefit.

Of course, the crap quality and difficulty in getting it developed massively outweighed it.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
It was also a really thin camera in a time when thin cameras didn't exist.

Basically, you had big bulky Polaroids and you had big bulky SLRs (no autofocus, manual everything, tricky to use), and you had weird little 110 cameras that looked something like this and were still too big to carry in a pocket or a purse:

110 cameras were often cheaply made and there was a perception that the 110 film couldn't be held flat enough in the cartridge to produce a high quality print. The disc camera was an attempt to make a consumer camera thin enough to carry around while maintaining the ease of use of the 110 cameras and cartridge format while getting away from the idea that such cameras were "just for kids".

At the time, it was a fairly popular camera. It was basically the Canon Elph of its day.

einTier has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Oct 1, 2012

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

burtonos posted:

How about this bad boy?

You could take the disc out of the camera mid way through usage due to a clever little window that prevented exposure. This enabled you to take a picture, take out the disc, wind it back one and then take another picture over the last one for some cool double exposure effects. Well I thought they cool, Boots thought I was a retard and put stickers on the pictures saying so.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

einTier posted:

110 cameras were often cheaply made and there was a perception that the 110 film couldn't be held flat enough in the cartridge to produce a high quality print. The disc camera was an attempt to make a consumer camera thin enough to carry around while maintaining the ease of use of the 110 cameras and cartridge format while getting away from the idea that such cameras were "just for kids".

And then there were the 126 cameras, which were basically a lot like 110 cameras but with a much taller cartridge. This combined the worst aspects of both 110 and disc cameras.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I had a disk camera and have a picture of my friend with one in his hand that was taken in 1988. As others have said, it was easier to load than 35mm and I think was a little better than a 110 camera.

The negatives seemed easier for me to manager when they were all on a disk. I think the only draw to having the camera was that it was new and different looking and gadget junkies like me got it for that reason.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Jedit posted:

And then there were the 126 cameras, which were basically a lot like 110 cameras but with a much taller cartridge. This combined the worst aspects of both 110 and disc cameras.

126 was not too bad, if you check my post on the last page you'll see a B&W 126 shot. 110 on the other hand... like the Disc cameras the negatives were very small and the construction and lenses were crappy. My mother used a Minolta 110 for years and the photos are uniformly indistinct. But it was a small camera for the time, had easy to handle film due to the cartridge and a built in electronic flash to make buying flash cubes a thing of the past.

Disc cameras were bad in almost every way, short of their thinness which had appeal at the beginning. That did not last long.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Zenostein posted:

Wouldn't the smaller disks fall into the smaller tray in most CD drives? Like there was a recessed layer that was maybe 2/3 the size of a normal CD. Surely that'd stop it from flying off.

On the other hand, god help you if you put one of those monsters into a slot-loader.
In Flames made it easy to destroy a limited edition CD and your slot-loader with the release of the single for Black Ash Inheritance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Listening to the radio isn't really geeky -- and certainly wasn't before TV and the internet -- and if your city has a clock tower and whoever's in charge of it didn't bother to set it to the radio signal at least every couple of weeks they were a pretty terrible timekeeper.

It just sounds like a lot of your issues are more "I lived in a small town" than "everybody's watches were off before cell phones". Remember that accurate timekeeping, aligned to centralized standards, was required as a critical part of oceanic navigation as far back as the 15th century.

You are sperging hardcore about time keeping. I don't think the average dude on the street sperged so hard about keeping his watch EXACTLY right so I'm inclined to believe the other guy here.