Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Damnnnnnn, that's crazy how polarizing it is. Can't say I'm to surprised from my time with the demo. Course the sales numbers will ultimately decide if RE stays like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Are we still arguing about reviews, or can I ask if there's a recommended order to do the campaigns in? I was planning to start with Chris and see if I can't punch alcoholism in the face.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

Dr Eggman posted:

No Wanderer, an 8 is pretty spot on. Van Ord and Sterling are just butthurt.
I'd be worried more if everyone was grading along similar marks. Beyond simple metrics like how well they function, games are far too subjective to boil down to some metacritic average. A stack of 8s across the board can be a warning sign that none of the critics involved cared much for anything related to the game beyond appeasing the fanbase just enough not to ruffle too many feathers.

That's not to discredit your score or anything Wanderer, I think you clarify how you came to the score you did perfectly well.

I like to hear from people who hated it as much as those that loved it, I find it helps put it all into perspective for me.

Man, my preorder wait seems to be taking forever. I loved the demo for this, and the stuff I've read here only make me want it more. Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Vastakaiun posted:

You're really grasping at straws here seeing how most of those reviewers giving RE6 the worst scores haven't even reviewed CoD.
Gamespot MW3- 8.5 BO- 9.0
Joystiq 4/5
Eurogamer 8/10

Gamespot gave RE5 an 8.5 (co-op adds tension they said), then RE6 a 4.5. This isn't a matter of opinion. If you believe RE5 is better than 6, you're so wrong I can't think of a word strong enough for it. It's like saying Invisible War is better than the original Deus Ex. They're outright wrong and whoever gave 'em their job needs to be exiled to an overly deadly island.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question; I'm aware it's a heavy spoiler but I have to know about Ada's campaign.

I keep hearing "oh man wait till you see her campaign it's scary as gently caress and gruesome!!" Thing is, I'm a easily disturbed person and grossed out super easily... is it really that bad?
I'm on Chapter 3 of Jake's campaign so I can't say exactly, but there is a bigger variety of body horror and grotesque moments. It's very much akin to Dead Space, in that when you die, you watch your death. I've fallen into a meat grinder, lava, drowned, had a zombie implant an egg in my face, people turn into cocoons that give birth to B.O.W.s, etc.

I love what they did with the campaigns, in that Leon's has the old fashion slowish (think RE4 walkers) zombies, while Chris is against mercenaries who shoot, melee, take cover and mutate. It never becomes a cover based shooter, but it has just enough variation to not become tedious. Which is important since there's so much playtime. I might be alone in this, but I really like Jake's character and how they fleshed him out. I don't give a poo poo about the overall plot of Resident Evil, it's pretty stupid to be blunt, but it's refreshing to see an anti-hero with realistic motivations and reasoning behind those motives. Helena's reasons for sticking with Leon feel forced and cheap, while Jake-Sherry and Chris-Piers make sense. The theme has gone from impending dread and isolation, to generic save the world us vs them. The genre change does a great job of showcasing that (Chris' campaign features NPC teammates here and there along with the character's increased capability).

It's a tense game, but definitely not scary. More Alan Wake than Fatal Frame. Which I love (hate horror games), but to each their own.

e: Oh, and the QTE's are nowhere near as bad as Sterling claims. There's two I can think of that require timing, and the rest are tap A and roll the joystick but nothing like Mario Party infamy. It's hard as gently caress to lose at the QTE's and the vast majority are not instant death.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 1, 2012

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Crowetron posted:

Are we still arguing about reviews, or can I ask if there's a recommended order to do the campaigns in? I was planning to start with Chris and see if I can't punch alcoholism in the face.

If you played a lot of RE5 like I did, RE6 changes up the controls enough that your muscle memory is likely to be loving with you for a while. For example, the button that opened doors in RE5 is now your melee attack in 6, and both reloading and picking up items is done with L2/LT.

Chris's campaign starts off with some fairly intense combat, so it's not a great place to learn the new controls. It's a better idea to start with Leon's.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wanderer posted:

I didn't really appreciate Leon's game until playing it in co-op, though. Co-op really turns up the difficulty in a serious way, where every bullet is precious.

Care to explain? In the demo item drops were separate between people. I played with a friend and whenever I destroyed crates they could pick up the items and they would still be there for me.

Or do you mean that ammo is scarce in Leon's campaign and coop adds more enemies?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Wanderer posted:

If you played a lot of RE5 like I did, RE6 changes up the controls enough that your muscle memory is likely to be loving with you for a while. For example, the button that opened doors in RE5 is now your melee attack in 6, and both reloading and picking up items is done with L2/LT.

Chris's campaign starts off with some fairly intense combat, so it's not a great place to learn the new controls. It's a better idea to start with Leon's.

Okay, thanks. I'll probably go Leon-Chris-Jake then so I can get used to the new controls.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Alteisen posted:

Damnnnnnn, that's crazy how polarizing it is. Can't say I'm to surprised from my time with the demo. Course the sales numbers will ultimately decide if RE stays like this.

Sales figures on big franchises like this have seemed for a while to be lagging indicators, at least when it comes to franchises in decline, probably because of the prevalence of pre-order campaigns trying to lock people in before they have access to reviews and other important purchasing decision information.

If a game in a franchise in decline turns out better than expected, you can sometimes see a bit of a sales surge as word gets out about the game. But if the game is worse than expected, the pre-sales are basically already locked in and have obtained their copies before reviews get widespread, and so the drag effect of a bad game doesn't pull down the bad game itself but depresses people's outlook for the next game.

I'm just saying, don't be surprised if it turns out that this game does end up almost universally panned yet still hits sales projections. That's likely less because there's a silent audience that absolutely loves the game and more that it just represents people who threw down their money before they knew it was a dumpster fire.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 1, 2012

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Professor Funk posted:

Game review backlash is one of the funniest things on the internet. The hand wringing here is nowhere near as bad as it is on NeoGAF though. When was the last time a AAA title was this divisive? FFXIII?

We'll see in a few months which is how long it took for everyone to acknowledge FF13 was a piece of poo poo.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Care to explain? In the demo item drops were separate between people. I played with a friend and whenever I destroyed crates they could pick up the items and they would still be there for me.

Or do you mean that ammo is scarce in Leon's campaign and coop adds more enemies?

In the review build, doing local split-screen co-op, ammo drops were unique and one person taking them would remove them from the game world. My partner and I had to keep an eye on each other's ammo count and sort things out appropriately, based upon who needed what. In that mode, melee combat wasn't just fun to look at, but was actually very necessary to conserve bullets.

When you're playing it solo, however, RE6 takes the Revelations route and your partner is invincible, with infinite ammo. They're a little bit more effective than the Revelations partner was, but that still leaves you to suck up all the skill points and ammo drops, which means I often had full bandoliers and was carefully managing my inventory. This was particularly bad later on, after I'd found a couple of extra weapons.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Wanderer posted:

It's entirely possible that some kind of Japanese-development bias kicked in at Famitsu, since RE6 is one of the only big in-house productions to come out this year.

My review went live this morning and I ended up giving it an 8, but I'm a huge fan of the series, so maybe take it with a grain of salt. There are levels of this game that I absolutely can't stand, the cover system is actively retarded, and Chris's campaign is incredibly lame right up until his fourth chapter or so, but Leon and Ada's campaigns are some of the best levels the series has seen in years.

I didn't really appreciate Leon's game until playing it in co-op, though. Co-op really turns up the difficulty in a serious way, where every bullet is precious.

Keith Silverstein. Looks like he's been around for a while and has been in a lot of things.

What is the length of this game? I ask because I plan on renting this and blowing through it in a week, like I usually do with midlist games I won't come back to, but if there are 4 campaigns, that might change.

Are there 4 full-length campaigns, or is it pretty much 4 smaller campaigns to add up to the average 10-15 hour action game?

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
A couple of other questions I'm not sure I've seen mentioned here yet.

Can you play solo campaigns as either character from the outset like the demo, or is it an unlock like in RE5?

Is there a roster of playable Mercenaries characters up anywhere yet? Failing that, did Jill make the cut? All I've seen so far just list the main characters, I hope there's a couple more than that.

quote:

Are there 4 full-length campaigns, or is it pretty much 4 smaller campaigns to add up to the average 10-15 hour action game?
Reviews so far mention that it's surprisingly long. More like four typical small action games bolted together.

farfromsleep fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 1, 2012

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Each of the four campaigns is long enough that they could have each been released as their own short game. I believe my final clear time for all four scenarios was 26 hours, although I spent a lot of time hunting for collectibles.

farfromsleep posted:

Can you play solo campaign as either character from the outset like the demo, or is it an unlock like in RE5?

Right from the outset.

farfromsleep posted:

Is there a roster of playable Mercenaries characters up anywhere yet? Failing that, did Jill make the cut? All I've seen so far just list the main characters, I hope there's a couple more than that.

When you first fire up Mercenaries, Chris, Jake, and Leon are available. Getting a high score on each of the first three stages unlocks Helena, Piers, and Sherry, and clearing Ada's campaign unlocks her for Mercenaries mode.

Getting an S rank on any stage with a character unlocks their first alternate costume, and unlocking all seven alternate costumes also unlocks Carla Radames. If there are any characters beyond that, I sure haven't seen them.

The alternate costumes, incidentally, are:

Leon: Full pirate regalia complete with a stuffed raven glued to his right shoulder.
Helena: She's fully dressed, but she looks like a stripper in a cop uniform at the start of her routine.
Chris: A half-naked samurai outfit.
Piers: A car-racing one-piece covered in logos, including Capcom, Biohazard, and the Stagla gas station logo from RE2.
Jake: A big puffy-sleeved jacket and sunglasses, which makes him look kind of like he's standing in the background in a rap video.
Sherry: Her old school uniform from RE2, which doesn't fit anymore.
Ada: A white cheongsam with a white flower in her hair.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 1, 2012

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Wanderer posted:

Leon: Full pirate regalia complete with a stuffed raven glued to his right shoulder.
Helena: She's fully dressed, but she looks like a stripper in a cop uniform at the start of her routine.
Piers: A car-racing one-piece covered in logos, including Capcom, Biohazard, and the Stagla gas station logo from RE2.
Jake: A big puffy-sleeved jacket and sunglasses, which makes him look kind of like he's standing in the background in a rap video.

No black characters with bows in tribal African wear? Maybe a designer was let go?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rizuhbull posted:

Joystiq 4/5
Eurogamer 8/10

Gamespot gave RE5 an 8.5 (co-op adds tension they said), then RE6 a 4.5. This isn't a matter of opinion. If you believe RE5 is better than 6, you're so wrong I can't think of a word strong enough for it. It's like saying Invisible War is better than the original Deus Ex. They're outright wrong and whoever gave 'em their job needs to be exiled to an overly deadly island.
I'm on Chapter 3 of Jake's campaign so I can't say exactly, but there is a bigger variety of body horror and grotesque moments. It's very much akin to Dead Space, in that when you die, you watch your death. I've fallen into a meat grinder, lava, drowned, had a zombie implant an egg in my face, people turn into cocoons that give birth to B.O.W.s, etc.

I love what they did with the campaigns, in that Leon's has the old fashion slowish (think RE4 walkers) zombies, while Chris is against mercenaries who shoot, melee, take cover and mutate. It never becomes a cover based shooter, but it has just enough variation to not become tedious. Which is important since there's so much playtime. I might be alone in this, but I really like Jake's character and how they fleshed him out. I don't give a poo poo about the overall plot of Resident Evil, it's pretty stupid to be blunt, but it's refreshing to see an anti-hero with realistic motivations and reasoning behind those motives. Helena's reasons for sticking with Leon feel forced and cheap, while Jake-Sherry and Chris-Piers make sense. The theme has gone from impending dread and isolation, to generic save the world us vs them. The genre change does a great job of showcasing that (Chris' campaign features NPC teammates here and there along with the character's increased capability).

It's a tense game, but definitely not scary. More Alan Wake than Fatal Frame. Which I love (hate horror games), but to each their own.

e: Oh, and the QTE's are nowhere near as bad as Sterling claims. There's two I can think of that require timing, and the rest are tap A and roll the joystick but nothing like Mario Party infamy. It's hard as gently caress to lose at the QTE's and the vast majority are not instant death.

You don't need to defense your purchase to anyone dude, if you like it then that's all that matters.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
Thanks for the info. I thought the Mercenaries list seemed a little thin compared to 5, but I'd forgotten that a lot of the extra stuff I was thinking of was added later as DLC bonuses.

I can see the new control system lending itself really well to that mode. I liked the earlier Mercenaries well enough, but it always felt a little too awkward for me to be a really satisfying score-chaser. This looks like just the ticket.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

rizuhbull posted:

Joystiq 4/5
Eurogamer 8/10

When I said reviewers, I meant reviewers, not sites and publications they're released in. Gamespot isn't some singular being that thinks that the latest CoD is better than the latest RE. Getting angry at a site because one of their writers likes Black Ops and another one doesn't like Resident Evil 6 strikes me as just a bit silly.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Wanderer posted:

Haha, I love alternate costumes, especially weird ones. I am glad this doesn't disappoint.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wanderer posted:

If only they had secret weapon like in RE2. Having an old fashioned flintlock pistol, with the proper reload animation, for Leon's pirate outfit would be loving awesome.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Wanderer posted:

No mention of the retro costumes? http://imgur.com/a/Nw04H

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Tremors posted:

I have no idea how to unlock those.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Alteisen posted:

You don't need to defense your purchase to anyone dude, if you like it then that's all that matters.
I bought Chromehounds. I defend nothing :colbert:

Vastakaiun posted:

When I said reviewers, I meant reviewers, not sites and publications they're released in. Gamespot isn't some singular being that thinks that the latest CoD is better than the latest RE. Getting angry at a site because one of their writers likes Black Ops and another one doesn't like Resident Evil 6 strikes me as just a bit silly.
Apologies, I assumed these sites had a publication-wide criteria of some sort. A set of standards if you will. Not mad, perplexed why anyone would read reviews as there's rarely been a game I can watch five minutes of gameplay and not know if I'll enjoy it. Even if that were to occur, I rather take a chance and buy it cheap than trust the perspective of a man who jokes about masturbating when he's right. But poo poo, I don't know. People watch Pewdiepie, pay for Transformers and like RE5. I'm obviously the outlier.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 1, 2012

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I have no idea how to unlock those.

They may be tied to that RE.net site they've been advertising.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

My favorite thing about this game has just been looking over and seeing someone do ridiculous melee moves. Chris has a body slam and that's awesome.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Chris Chapter 3 - good god the jeep turret/driving was terrible, why would they make the controls so loose in that section :psyduck:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

charismaslover posted:

Chris Chapter 3 - good god the jeep turret/driving was terrible, why would they make the controls so loose in that section :psyduck:

I remember there were early reports that Chris was the last scenario they added and wasn't originally slated to be in the game, and goddamn if there aren't entire chunks of his campaign that feel like no one involved with it wanted to be there.

He gets a really solid final boss fight, but that's the best I've got to say about it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Leyburn posted:

I'm not disputing that, clearly RE6 has some problems, I just don't understand the hostility that the game receives for simply being a third person shooter, when it's part of a series that defined the genre.

I'll find out for myself just how bad or good it is tomorrow.

RE4 came out 7 years ago, and third person shooters have taken that core gameplay and polished it up or revamped it. It just sounds like RE6 is a mediocre/bad third person shooter that still gets things like its camera, aiming and hit detection all wrong.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Geez, was not expecting the reviews to be this bad. The game being filled with button prompts and QTEs are a huge turn off. Why are they popular again? Why do they have to be in every game now? Especially since people are saying they don't work correctly? Are there a lot of obnoxious turret sequences? I hate those parts in RE5. Like a lot. I hated the goddamned troll fight in 5. Comparing 6 and 5, which had more QTEs?

But I was happy with the core gameplay of the demo though. Is there enough of that in the game, or do the constant QTE really gently caress up the pacing?

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I would like to thank RE6 for letting me know I can't have opinions about the games I play. This whole time I thought I played stuff I wanted/liked but boy was I wrong. Now I know that my opinions have been wrong this whole time.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

AASman posted:

Geez, was not expecting the reviews to be this bad. The game being filled with button prompts and QTEs are a huge turn off. Why are they popular again? Why do they have to be in every game now? Especially since people are saying they don't work correctly? Are there a lot of obnoxious turret sequences? I hate those parts in RE5. Like a lot. I hated the goddamned troll fight in 5. Comparing 6 and 5, which had more QTEs?

But I was happy with the core gameplay of the demo though. Is there enough of that in the game, or do the constant QTE really gently caress up the pacing?

Everyone reviewing it in this thread seems to like it though?

I also have never understood the hate for QTE's. While i'd rather have full control over my character 99% of the time, like in Dark Souls, i'd also rather interact with the game while it's doing a movie or grab move or whatever and make a difference to the outcome.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

AASman posted:

Geez, was not expecting the reviews to be this bad. The game being filled with button prompts and QTEs are a huge turn off. Why are they popular again? Why do they have to be in every game now?
RE4 was one of the defining games for QTEs for quite a while. They're in it all over the place.

I never had a problem with them in 4, doubt I will with this either. When they work well and make some sense in relation to the action, that's fine.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I love QTEs. I'm the problem.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

AASman posted:

QTEs are used to break grapples or counterattack telegraphed moves from enemies. There's one particular kind of zombie that starts showing up late in Leon's game that's actually best dealt with through a QTE, as if you get it right it's a one-hit kill.

There are a couple of QTEs in the game that are genuinely irritating, one of which is in the tutorial, but if you're seeing them all that often, you should probably stop being grabbed by zombies so much.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I'm having a pretty hard time telling if I'm going to have a problem with the same things the reviewers are, because those hating it are mostly going BAD BAD BAD I HATE IT, rather than giving me stuff to analyze if it will fit my own tastes.

I suspect it will be the type of game I like, but "THE WHOLE THING IS A MESS" and "BOSSES ARE BAD" aren't helpful, reviewer guys.

edit:

quote:

Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie. There's really no more polite a way to put it. Stuffed to the gills with bombastic action segments, car chases, and relentless chaos, Capcom has abandoned any pretense of the survival horror genre and embraced a world of skin-deep Hollywood audacity. Listlessly wallowing in the depthless waters of homogeneity, Resident Evil 6 is a coward of a game, afraid to make its own individual mark in the industry and cravenly subscribing itself to every overplayed trope in the book.

This is what I am looking for in a game where my favorite part of the last game was punching a boulder in a volcano.

He starts his review:

quote:

When you first start playing Resident Evil 6, it looks like it might almost be a joke, perhaps a stealthy parody of big-budget action videogames.
This is exactly what I thought the game was. Is there any reason to believe that RE5 and 6 aren't basically parodies of big dumb action movies?

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 1, 2012

Disorientated
Sep 1, 2006

charismaslover posted:

Yeah this bit in particular I was playing and thinking "Man this is some janky rear end poo poo". That was probably the low point of the whole thing for me though so far, and it was bearable, didn't last too long.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Tremors posted:

Holy poo poo that's the happiest Chris has looked in years. Awesome. I'm glad to hear that actual player reviews seem to find the game at least as fun as RE5, that's enough for me to buy it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I've been back and forth on RE6 since its announcement and was going to wait for the reception, but the fact that everyone's turning on it is endearing itself to me more than any positive review could.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tremors posted:

Hahahha, holy poo poo. I loved when MGS4 did this with MGS1 Snake camo and RE using that is fantastic. There need to be more games that do this for extra costumes, I would kill for a polygon Cloud in Dissidia or Tekken characters getting polygon customizable parts.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

AASman posted:

The vast majority of the reviews are positive though? I mean, aside from Kevin VanOrd of Gamespot, who I suspect will be getting a new job soon at giantbomb; Jim Sterling of Destrutoid, who nobody takes seriously and Eurogamer; everyone else gave it scores that hover around 7~9/10. The negative reviews are merely a few outliers.

Adrastus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Adrastus posted:

The vast majority of the reviews are positive though? I mean, aside from Kevin VanOrd of Gamespot, who I suspect will be getting a new job soon at giantbomb; Jim Sterling of Destrutoid, who nobody takes seriously and Eurogamer; everyone else gave it scores that hover around 7~9/10. The negative reviews are merely a few outliers.

The gamespot review calls it a "caricature" as well. Which I think is the point? Do people not honestly think that RE5 was filled with parody?